Sherman's Theories on The Hawks

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
So he and other vets no longer bought into the program (and actually poked fun at it), but expected the team to ride with them because their play was great. IE above the team.

Says we devalued core players and yet we paid huge huge sums to try and keep the band together. I think losing our way would have been giving everyone a third contract. Injuries were mounting, and play is sure to decline. Salary cap is a real thing.

Says they are too curious about young players, yet that is exactly how sherman was made.

Uses Polamalu as an example, but in fairness Steelers hung on longer than they really needed to in terms of performance. He was 33 when he retired.

His comment about Pete’s retirement seems off base. All of the moves being made set a very strong position for 2019. I doubt no playoffs in 18 makes him consider retirement more strongly.

Sherm was just so incredibly jaded clearly. All of this to me just makes it all the more clear why Sherm is no longer with the team.

AF_BASS_MAN

Reaction score
It’s clear that he is going to absolutely play his 2 best games of the season every year against us.

Wilson is in for a true test

2_0_6

Reaction score
How quickly Sherm forgets that Trufant was sent down the road when he emerged. The life cycle of the NFL, and its going to happen to him again.

Crizilla

Reaction score
AF_BASS_MAN":mhg96gpk said:
It’s clear that he is going to absolutely play his 2 best games of the season every year against us.

ya and the way he's yappin' back at the hawks I hope he tears his other Achille's. Not really, but I hope he gets lit up.

peppersjap

Reaction score
Not sure how these veteran players say they are being dismissed yet they want more money??? I'm pretty sure if he restructured initially he would be back! Initially I didn't think I would be able to hate Sherman even if he was a 49er but it just might happen!

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
A lot of Hawks fans are being played by Sherm the way niner fans got played when he was here.
He is the pro wrestling style heel, talks shit, and then you give heat back which is what he wants.
It’s entertainment folks!

NINEster

Reaction score
AF_BASS_MAN":c9nfh7cv said:

Wilson is in for a true test to see how Kaepernick's last 3 seasons in the NFL were like.

pmedic920

Reaction score
NINEster":35hlrp7c said:
AF_BASS_MAN":35hlrp7c said:

Wilson is in for a true test to see how Kaepernick's last 3 seasons in the NFL were like.

Kaepernick was his own worst enemy, he brought most of his demise on himself.

Wilson is nothing like Kaepernick, and I doubt he will every know the problems that Kaepernick experienced.

Wilson has his own issues, he’s not perfect by any means but he’ll never (imho) “flame out” the way Kaepernick did.

Jac

Reaction score
2_0_6":1djm1t0n said:
How quickly Sherm forgets that Trufant was sent down the road when he emerged. The life cycle of the NFL, and its going to happen to him again.

Lawyer Milloy also questioned where the leadership was going to come from after he wasn't re-signed in 2011 (the first year the secondary started playing together). How many times has the NE Patriot roster almost entirely turned over except for QB? The same with Pittsburgh? Of course we need to do a better job of drafting, but we really need to do a better job of coaching up and scheming the young talent. It's not like NE nails every draft.

RockinHawks

Reaction score
Playing the "Heel" makes me love Sherm even more. This IS entertainment, and he makes it interesting and fun to watch.

The downside, for Sherman at this point, is that he wasn't super fast, to begin with, and will never be at the playing speed he was before his Achilles injury. Yes he's a technician and he's one of the greatest CB's of all time (IMO), but he'll never regain the playing speed he had. This puts him at a severe advantage and with his physical style of play, may find himself grabbing and holding more often.

What I'm trying to say is, I don't think we'll see the Sherman we're used to, when we face him twice a year. But, the drama will be there, he will make sure of that...which is fantastic.

chrispy

Reaction score
Loved Sherm as a Hawk. I'm looking forward to loving to hate him as a 9er.

He'll miss Kam taking away the under routes.
He'll miss Earl taking away the deep threat.
He'll probably still be pretty good.

In fact, he'll definitely be better as a 9er than he would have as a Hawk- whatever "better" or "pretty good" turns out to be. Much of Sherm's success came from his motivation/chip-on-shoulder which resulted in a lot of work off the field. He felt like he had arrived as a Hawk and said as much in the article. ... that he was undervalued. As a Hawk, he had become complacent. As a 9er, he'll be at his best. ... and hopefully he beats up on the Rams and Cards some too.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Criticizing Pete's philosophy or way things are done in Seattle seems to be biting the hand that feeds him. Sherm had it right in his initial statement when he thanked the team for taking a chance on him. Hopefully this is just wrestling style entertainment as some say and he's not actually believing this.

When he talks about not going with the guys who got the team to the top, isn't that exactly what they did? Keep that defensive core together which many say was unprecedented and now get the team into the situation of all those guys getting older and more expensive at the same time.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Please Sherman, for once.... show some class.

Look, I get it, it probably really stung when the Seahawks released you. It's a brutal hard business. But you got released because you became a distraction, you took some shots at the coaches while you were here, then you got older and got hurt. Your salary became too much for what you were offering at this point. That's the way it works. The NFL is ruthless.

Just stop talking trash about Carroll and the org trying to rationalize it. Just walk away with your head up and go play ball.

Hyak

Reaction score
12/17/2017 was the anvil on the head that forced PC and JS to re-look at everything. The curb stomp at home just pointed out how flawed the team was on every level - personnel, coaching, players. The fact was that the defense as constructed as regressed since 2013. Slowly at first but I can argue the DL depth was the biggest factor in XLIX. 2017 was alarming at times even when they were healthy. No reason to think a year older was going to make it better and unfortunately I don't think the core group as it was is wired to be as average as they were becoming and are selectively delusional as to why.

2010-2013 was all about adding hungry young players to fit the identify the team wanted - fast, physically dominating defense; elite running game, maximize explosive passing plays, good special teams. The stars were almost all playing on contracts where production greatly exceeded cost. Eventually the core gets paid and it shifted to win now moves and minimal competition. The draft fell off production wise. The star players either saw production peter off or age/injury happens and with the roster top heavy cap wise, depth was not like it was. That doesn't absolve them from some horrible decision making too - Cary Williams, Webb, Joeckel, Lacy, Walsh. Barf.

So you re-set. I think ET gets traded because they know he'll not handle a rebuild well and he wants a ton of jack. Build around Wilson on offense and Wagner on defense. Bring in players who buy in and adios to the ones that don't.

It still comes down to good personnel decisions. PC/JS have not done well since 2012/2013 in this regard. It's a big reason why they are probably the 3rd best team in the division right now.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
I thought it was cuz Sherman hated Russ? I mean its what people I know say.

It seems like vets didn't care for Pete after awhile.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
It just mentioned on Brock & Salk, but can you imagine what young Richard Sherman's response would be to his comments about not sticking with the older guys and giving young guys the opportunities?