Michael Bennett indicted by Harris County grand jury

drrew

Reaction score
http://www.khou.com/article/sports/nfl/ ... /531344843

A Harris County grand jury Friday indicted Philadelphia Eagles defensive end Michael Bennett for the felony charge of injury of the elderly for injuring a 66-year-old paraplegic who was working at NRG Stadium to control access to the field at Super Bowl LI, prosecutors said.

themunn

Reaction score
Injury to the elderly is a felony win a maximum 10 year prison sentence?

That
Is
Mad

I have to say though, you shouldn't be working as a steward to control access if you can be that easily injured. The whole point is surely that you can control access through physical means if needed. Hence why you don't have 66 year old bouncers

Edit: Just read paraplegic too. I'm definitely not saying he deserved it or that MB is not in the wrong, but that is totally the wrong choice of person for the job, as evidence shows

mrt144

Reaction score
So apparently he pushed passed security and injured one of them in the process at the Superbowl.

Bet that isn't a felony indictment if he wasn't Michael Bennett.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Considering that this incident happened at the SB and before the trade, I wonder if there is any chance the Eagles could void the trade. I hope not but if the Seahawks had knowledge of this before hand and didn't share it I wonder if the Eagles could go back on the trade.

Also that 5th rounder all the sudden looks like a pretty good pickup if Bennett gets suspended for part of this season... and if that's the case it's a lesson for some of the people that were so hard on JS for the trade... :stirthepot:

kidhawk

Reaction score
Reminder: Keep this on the topic of his arrest for this incident, and not anything even remotely related to his protests or previous off-field issues

original poster

Reaction score
The over/under for posts that need to be removed in this thread is 20.

Taking bets now.

MrThortan

Reaction score
Weird. So he pushed through security to get onto the field. What are the circumstances? Was there a mob of people busting through? What's a 66-year-old paraplegic person doing working security?

BamKam

Reaction score
This really isn't that big of a deal. He didn't go up to an elderly paraplegic person and beat them up. *MOD EDIT*

Chapow

Reaction score
The charge, injury to the elderly, includes intentionally and knowingly, causing bodily injury to a person 65 years or older. It carries a penalty of up to 10 years in prison and a $10,000 fine.

I think the key here is the word intentionally. I seriously doubt that he intended to cause bodily injury to the 66 year old paraplegic, but even if he did, that strikes me as something that is going to be very difficult to prove.

This looks like he's just getting messed with because of who he is to me.

2_0_6

Reaction score
BamKam":3iaehge8 said:
This really isn't that big of a deal. He didn't go up to an elderly paraplegic person and beat them up. *MOD EDIT*

I take it you were there?

original poster

Reaction score
MrThortan":p9gqe1jv said:
Weird. So he pushed through security to get onto the field. What are the circumstances? Was there a mob of people busting through? What's a 66-year-old paraplegic person doing working security?

It’s pretty common at stadiums, she wouldn’t have been expected to get involved in actual security work.

More of an usher.

Own The West

Reaction score
themunn":2dtrm0m1 said:
Injury to the elderly is a felony win a maximum 10 year prison sentence?

That
Is
Mad

I have to say though, you shouldn't be working as a steward to control access if you can be that easily injured. The whole point is surely that you can control access through physical means if needed. Hence why you don't have 66 year old bouncers

Edit: Just read paraplegic too. I'm definitely not saying he deserved it or that MB is not in the wrong, but that is totally the wrong choice of person for the job, as evidence shows

The gal working the field access wasn't a bouncer. She was checking passes at a gate. And even if she was a 25 year-old Marine with MMA training, it would not be her job to physically prevent someone from rushing past her.

I imagine Bennett is going to get fined/sentenced based on her injuries. I'm sure 10 years would be in order only if her injuries were fatal.

original poster

Reaction score
The fact it’s a grand jury gives me hope that the Seahawks weren’t aware of this.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
If it was such a serious ordeal, and the Police Chief is going suggest Bennett broke the law by trespassing AND intentionally putting his hands on/injuring an elderly woman, why wasn't he arrested at the stadium?

I've never heard of someone breaking the law, let alone numerous laws, at a stadium and then just going on their merry way. I've seen people FLEE after sucker punching people at football games, but I have a hard time believing this was such a big deal and they just let him go down to the field and enjoy the rest of his time there with no repercussions.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
You can't be arrested for being a douchebag (aka "Don't you know who I am?") but you can be for assault. The fact that he wasn't arrested at the time is telling to me. And agreed, what is a 66-year-old paraplegic woman doing working security for something like the Super Bowl on the field??

The narrative wants to read like he cocked back and clocked her flat to the floor.

I am 99% certain if there was video of the incident we wouldn't even notice any real physical altercation.

zchurch74

Reaction score
The reason for a felony is he tried to enter the field before the game had ended.

There are two fouls on the play:

Encroachment by a defensive player. Entering the playing zone before the play had stopped.

Personal Foul. Hitting a defenseless player.

Results of the play mean nothing as he is a high prolific NFL player.