Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Michael Bennett indicted by Harris County grand jury

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • http://www.khou.com/article/sports/nfl/ ... /531344843

A Harris County grand jury Friday indicted Philadelphia Eagles defensive end Michael Bennett for the felony charge of injury of the elderly for injuring a 66-year-old paraplegic who was working at NRG Stadium to control access to the field at Super Bowl LI, prosecutors said.
    drrew
    NET Veteran

• Injury to the elderly is a felony win a maximum 10 year prison sentence?

That
    Is
    Mad

I have to say though, you shouldn't be working as a steward to control access if you can be that easily injured. The whole point is surely that you can control access through physical means if needed. Hence why you don't have 66 year old bouncers

Edit: Just read paraplegic too. I'm definitely not saying he deserved it or that MB is not in the wrong, but that is totally the wrong choice of person for the job, as evidence shows
    themunn
    NET Veteran

• So apparently he pushed passed security and injured one of them in the process at the Superbowl.

Bet that isn't a felony indictment if he wasn't Michael Bennett.
    mrt144
    NET Veteran

• Considering that this incident happened at the SB and before the trade, I wonder if there is any chance the Eagles could void the trade. I hope not but if the Seahawks had knowledge of this before hand and didn't share it I wonder if the Eagles could go back on the trade.

Also that 5th rounder all the sudden looks like a pretty good pickup if Bennett gets suspended for part of this season... and if that's the case it's a lesson for some of the people that were so hard on JS for the trade... :stirthepot:
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran

• Reminder: Keep this on the topic of his arrest for this incident, and not anything even remotely related to his protests or previous off-field issues

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

• Yikes.

Pretty happy we got some trade value out of him at this point.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

• The over/under for posts that need to be removed in this thread is 20.

Taking bets now.
    www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• Weird. So he pushed through security to get onto the field. What are the circumstances? Was there a mob of people busting through? What's a 66-year-old paraplegic person doing working security?
    MrThortan
    NET Veteran

• This really isn't that big of a deal. He didn't go up to an elderly paraplegic person and beat them up. *MOD EDIT*
    BamKam
    NET Starter

• The charge, injury to the elderly, includes intentionally and knowingly, causing bodily injury to a person 65 years or older. It carries a penalty of up to 10 years in prison and a $10,000 fine.

I think the key here is the word intentionally. I seriously doubt that he intended to cause bodily injury to the 66 year old paraplegic, but even if he did, that strikes me as something that is going to be very difficult to prove.

This looks like he's just getting messed with because of who he is to me.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

• BamKam wrote:This really isn't that big of a deal. He didn't go up to an elderly paraplegic person and beat them up. *MOD EDIT*

I take it you were there?
    Last edited by 2_0_6 on Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
    "Practice without improvement is meaningless" - Chuck Knox
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran

• MrThortan wrote:Weird. So he pushed through security to get onto the field. What are the circumstances? Was there a mob of people busting through? What's a 66-year-old paraplegic person doing working security?

It’s pretty common at stadiums, she wouldn’t have been expected to get involved in actual security work.

More of an usher.
    www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

• themunn wrote:Injury to the elderly is a felony win a maximum 10 year prison sentence?

That
    Is
    Mad

I have to say though, you shouldn't be working as a steward to control access if you can be that easily injured. The whole point is surely that you can control access through physical means if needed. Hence why you don't have 66 year old bouncers

Edit: Just read paraplegic too. I'm definitely not saying he deserved it or that MB is not in the wrong, but that is totally the wrong choice of person for the job, as evidence shows

The gal working the field access wasn't a bouncer. She was checking passes at a gate. And even if she was a 25 year-old Marine with MMA training, it would not be her job to physically prevent someone from rushing past her.

I imagine Bennett is going to get fined/sentenced based on her injuries. I'm sure 10 years would be in order only if her injuries were fatal.
    Own The West
    NET Rookie

2_0_6
    NET Veteran

• The fact it’s a grand jury gives me hope that the Seahawks weren’t aware of this.
    www.hawk-talk.com

original poster
    * NET Moderator *

• If it was such a serious ordeal, and the Police Chief is going suggest Bennett broke the law by trespassing AND intentionally putting his hands on/injuring an elderly woman, why wasn't he arrested at the stadium?

I've never heard of someone breaking the law, let alone numerous laws, at a stadium and then just going on their merry way. I've seen people FLEE after sucker punching people at football games, but I have a hard time believing this was such a big deal and they just let him go down to the field and enjoy the rest of his time there with no repercussions.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

• You can't be arrested for being a douchebag (aka "Don't you know who I am?") but you can be for assault. The fact that he wasn't arrested at the time is telling to me. And agreed, what is a 66-year-old paraplegic woman doing working security for something like the Super Bowl on the field??

The narrative wants to read like he cocked back and clocked her flat to the floor.

I am 99% certain if there was video of the incident we wouldn't even notice any real physical altercation.

"Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• The reason for a felony is he tried to enter the field before the game had ended.

There are two fouls on the play:

Encroachment by a defensive player. Entering the playing zone before the play had stopped.

Personal Foul. Hitting a defenseless player.

Results of the play mean nothing as he is a high prolific NFL player.
    SUPERBOWL XL CHAMPS AND I HAVE THE SHIRT TO PROVE IT!
    zchurch74
    NET Rookie

• Aros wrote:He's a target plain and simple. You can't be arrested for being a douchebag (aka "Don't you know who I am?") but you can be for assault. The fact that he wasn't arrested at the time is telling to me. And agreed, what is a 66-year-old paraplegic woman doing working security for something like the Super Bowl on the field??

The narrative wants to read like he cocked back and clocked her flat to the floor.

I am 99% certain if there was video of the incident we wouldn't even notice any real physical altercation.

The women was NOT working security she was a stadium employee. He pushed past security and stadium workers. I agree people will take this like he just went up and socked her which isn't the case, but if he really pulled the "do you know who I am" schtick then that is ridiculous.
    BamKam
    NET Starter

• zchurch74 wrote:The reason for a felony is he tried to enter the field before the game had ended.

There are two fouls on the play:

Encroachment by a defensive player. Entering the playing zone before the play had stopped.

Personal Foul. Hitting a defenseless player.

Results of the play mean nothing as he is a high prolific NFL player.

No, the felony charge is for injury to the elderly. It was also following the game.

If you read the article you would have realized this.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

• You obviously didn't get the joke.
    SUPERBOWL XL CHAMPS AND I HAVE THE SHIRT TO PROVE IT!
    zchurch74
    NET Rookie

• He's Philly's drama now .....
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

• zchurch74 wrote:You obviously didn't get the joke.

We get it, the dude loves to jump offsides.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

• I really like that this is not the Seahawks problem anymore.
    Coug_Hawk08
    NET Veteran

• Jville wrote:He's Philly's drama now .....

Didn't he do a slight restructure to his deal also after being traded to Philly?
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran

• Coug_Hawk08 wrote:I really like that this is not the Seahawks problem anymore.

Couldn't agree more.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

• BamKam wrote:This really isn't that big of a deal. He didn't go up to an elderly paraplegic person and beat them up. He has dug himself a bit of a hole with the whole LV police department incident and endless social justice crusade.

Exactly this - he's dug his own hole *MOD EDIT*
    Chrome_Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• Was she an ex Seahawks O lineman ?

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• Glad this pos is off the team. At least we got something for him...sounds like a real class act of human garbage.
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions 2014.02.02 Seahawks 43 Broncos 8
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran

• Coug_Hawk08 wrote:I really like that this is not the Seahawks problem anymore.

A major distraction becomes even more so for his new team. This guy is going to get hammered wherever the Eagles play by the fans.
    RCATES
    NET Starter

• DJrmb wrote:Considering that this incident happened at the SB and before the trade, I wonder if there is any chance the Eagles could void the trade. I hope not but if the Seahawks had knowledge of this before hand and didn't share it I wonder if the Eagles could go back on the trade.

Also that 5th rounder all the sudden looks like a pretty good pickup if Bennett gets suspended for part of this season... and if that's the case it's a lesson for some of the people that were so hard on JS for the trade... :stirthepot:

ummm, do we need to worry?
    toffee
    NET Veteran

• Another one of those issues where both sides are overreacting.

One side is acting like he went up and beat up and elderly handicapped person on purpose.

The other side trying to argue that they shouldn't have a paraplegic security guard... when it was a paraplegic STADIUM WORKER. Even if they weren't does it make it ok for him to shove them aside and injure them? I will never understand people.
    BamKam
    NET Starter

• BamKam wrote:Another one of those issues where both sides are overreacting.

One side is acting like he went up and beat up and elderly handicapped person on purpose.

The other side trying to argue that they shouldn't have a paraplegic security guard... when it was a paraplegic STADIUM WORKER. Even if they weren't does it make it ok for him to shove them aside and injure them? I will never understand people.

Who said anything about it being OK to shove and injure anyone? I sure didn't see that anywhere in this thread.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

• I'm fascinated by the "shouldn't have been working security" argument. There are laws in this country that specifically prevent companies from not hiring people based on disabilities. But besides that . . . . what, people who work as ushers should expect to get knocked over?
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

replicant
    NET Rookie

• 2_0_6 wrote:
    Jville wrote:He's Philly's drama now .....

Didn't he do a slight restructure to his deal also after being traded to Philly?

Check your PM's for my response to your question.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

• BamKam wrote:Another one of those issues where both sides are overreacting.

I'm not really seeing an argument that he went up and beat up a handicapped person. I've only skimmed though, so maybe I missed them. But at best he's guilty of being so self-absorbed he didn't realize his surroundings. I have kids who like to play at the play area of the mall. My kids are 7 and 8 but sometimes there are really little kids there and I make a point to either make sure they are aware of where the little kids are so nobody gets hurt or I don't let them play there at all.

So congratulations MB, you have less self awareness than I am instilling in my 7 year old.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

• Chapow wrote:
    BamKam wrote:Another one of those issues where both sides are overreacting.

Who said anything about it being OK to shove and injure anyone? I sure didn't see that anywhere in this thread.

I didn't specifically say THIS thread.
    BamKam
    NET Starter

• replicant wrote:

"You don't want a bunch of Russell Wilson's in the locker room, sometimes you need some thugs".
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran

• original poster wrote:The over/under for posts that need to be removed in this thread is 20.

Taking bets now.

What's the current count? Does an edited post count? Looks like we had one of those so far.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

• 2_0_6 wrote:
    replicant wrote:

"You don't want a bunch of Russell Wilson's in the locker room, sometimes you need some thugs".

/thread winner
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

• BamKam wrote:
    Chapow wrote:

OK, I'll rephrase.

Who said anything about it being OK to shove and injure anyone?

Questioning whether or not someone is fit to do a certain job is vastly different than saying it's OK to shove and injure that person.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

• "Morally bankrupt"

Per Acevedo, following the conclusion of the Super Bowl LII game, Bennett allegedly forcibly pushed his way through locked doors at a tunnel that wasn't permissible as access to the general public.

Bennett did not have the proper credentials that would have allowed him field access following the game. He was believed, Acevedo said, to have been drinking alcohol that evening.

Acevedo said that "in an attempt to push his way and force his way into the field" Bennett opened the doors, pushed back one 28-year old female, a male and a 66-year-old paraplegic woman — all members of the stadium's security team, and pushed her and his assault "actually caused injury ... sprain of her shoulder."

Per Acevedo, Bennett's felony charge is related to the assault on the 66-year old woman.

"He is morally bankrupt," Acevedo of Bennett.

Acevedo implored Bennett to turn himself into the Houston authorities.

"We ask Bennett to turn himself in as soon as possible," Acevedo said.

Later, he added: "If we find him on the streets, we’re going to arrest him." --- http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2018/03/michael_bennett_indictment.html
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

• 2_0_6 wrote:
    replicant wrote:

Boom. Headshot.
    GLio14
    NET Rookie

• Chapow wrote:
    BamKam wrote:
    Chapow wrote:

OK, I'll rephrase.

Who said anything about it being OK to shove and injure anyone?

Questioning whether or not someone is fit to do a certain job is vastly different than saying it's OK to shove and injure that person.

The real issue here should have nothing to do with whether or not anyone here believes someone should or shouldn't have any particular job. If Bennett pushed his way past anybody to get onto the field illegally, then the consequences of those actions lie solely on his shoulders. Being a stadium worker isn't exactly a high paying gig. You can't expect everyone in that line of work to have exemplary qualifications. They are not there to stop people from getting on the field, only to direct people to where they should be. In this case, it's being said that Bennett didn't listen to the direction and instead pushed his way through an area he (or perhaps anyone) wasn't allowed. If that is what happened, then that really is on him, not the people there trying to direct him.

Obviously there is a lot of information that is yet to come out, so we shouldn't make our minds up 100% yet, because we don't know every circumstance, but we really shouldn't be calling out the qualifications of people who are just trying to do a job and earn a few bucks.

Personally, I think this is more of a civil matter that should be resolved in civil court, and I wouldn't be surprised to see it end up there before all is said and done.

I will say though, that I'm glad this is Eagles drama and not Seahawks drama, because even when we don't have actual drama, things are dramatic enough around here

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

• Man of the year. Am I right?
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

• Natethegreat wrote:Man of the year. Am I right?

Yikes!!!!!
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions 2014.02.02 Seahawks 43 Broncos 8
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:46 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information