Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Michael Bennett indicted by Harris County grand jury

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • kobebryant wrote:This just feels off. The man has a field pass, going on word of mouth over a year later, and with all the grandstanding by the leos. Nah man.

    So much coded language from the police chief.



    From the press conference it's been heard both ways that he did or did not have a pass. But it is explicitly stated that didn't matter. At that point there were so many people on the field they were not letting anyone in. Credentials doesn't guarantee you will be able to go in. Also, when you are told no you cannot come in your reaction should not be to start shoving people out of your way.

    The moment he shoves people it is now assault, it doesn't matter how hard. But the fact that he injured a 66 year old paraplegic woman who then went to the doctor and has proof of said injury, it is very serious if she wants to press charges.
    "Know thy self, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories." - Sun Tzu
    User avatar
    BigMeach
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 607
    Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:11 am


  • I predict that this gets dismissed before it goes to trial.
    kobebryant
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2212
    Joined: Sat May 23, 2009 1:45 pm


  • kobebryant wrote:I predict that this gets dismissed before it goes to trial.


    I think it's going to highly depend on the lady who was injured. If she wants this pursued it will be.
    "Know thy self, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories." - Sun Tzu
    User avatar
    BigMeach
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 607
    Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:11 am


  • BigMeach wrote:
    kobebryant wrote:I predict that this gets dismissed before it goes to trial.


    I think it's going to highly depend on the lady who was injured. If she wants this pursued it will be.


    So basically how much money does she want? That is what will determine whether it goes to trial or not.
    R.I.P. Queen.
    User avatar
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7723
    Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:20 pm
    Location: A little ways from Boise.


  • Seahawkfan80 wrote:
    BigMeach wrote:
    kobebryant wrote:I predict that this gets dismissed before it goes to trial.


    I think it's going to highly depend on the lady who was injured. If she wants this pursued it will be.


    So basically how much money does she want? That is what will determine whether it goes to trial or not.


    Not really. If she wants money and they have the witnesses already mentioned then she will get the money either way. A criminal conviction won’t affect the civil part negatively

    In reality she could likely have gotten a quick settlement by not pursuing criminal charges as it benefits Bennett for this to go away quietly
    Image

    “You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

    :les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    User avatar
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 19304
    Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:00 pm
    Location: Anchorage, AK


  • BigMeach wrote:
    kobebryant wrote:I predict that this gets dismissed before it goes to trial.


    I think it's going to highly depend on the lady who was injured. If she wants this pursued it will be.


    I could be wrong but I don’t think the “lady” is pressing charges.

    She could play a role in how it gets resolved but I don’t believe the “charges”, and Grand jury were up too her.

    Many States have laws that don’t allow for a victim to say they don’t want to “press charges”

    DV is a common one, if the cops show up, and see injuries, the State presses charges. The victim has no choice in the matter.


    Anybody that wants to blame this “lady”, her age, race, sex, or disability, or the company that hired her is a complete idiot.

    MB and his sense of entitlement is 100% to blame, period.

    Opposing opinions are absolutely welcome but no one will convince me otherwise.
    ITS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SEAHAWK FAN !
    User avatar
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *
     
    Posts: 16348
    Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:37 am
    Location: On the lake, Livingston Texas


  • It won't get dismissed before trial. There might be some sort of plea deal such that it doesn't go to trial, but it won't get dismissed.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer
     
    Posts: 105094
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 12:29 pm


  • Blind lady ushers fans to their seat, fails.......Why?
    "It's Ground Hawks Day" Chris Berman
    User avatar
    seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4636
    Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:36 pm
    Location: Aiken , SC


  • I don't buy the "because of who he is" argument as to why he's in trouble.


    Who, in this forum, could barge into a stadium and knock over 3 employees and injure a woman and then face no issues over it?

    Think about it... if any of us had done such a thing, our asses would be sitting on a jail cot right now, and we'd be looking at a completely ruined life... years spent paying off the legal bills,loss of job, of income, mandatory alcohol counseling set down by the judge - possibly losing our kids and marriage over it. We'd be screwed -- that's why we don't do crazy crap like that.

    He'll probably get out of this with a smudge on his record, a bad rep, some community service, and a slap on the wrist... and why is that?

    People throw this word around a lot lately, "privilege" - yet most of the people throwing out that word are celebrities, and brother, there is NO PRIVILEGE in this modern world greater than celebrity privilege. If you can throw or shoot a ball, or act in a TV show or movie, or look pretty and do a good job lyp syncing what passes for music these days... you get the whole world at your feet and a million suckers who will worship you and give you chance after chance no matter how hard you try to mess up your life.

    But us Joe's and Sally's out on the street who are enabling all of this nonsense? All it usually takes is one misstep and we're screwed.

    If I had the world's smallest violin right now, MB couldn't muster one note of sympathy out of me...
    User avatar
    The_Z_Man
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1932
    Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:57 pm
    Location: Tucson, AZ


  • kobebryant wrote:This just feels off. The man has a field pass, going on word of mouth over a year later, and with all the grandstanding by the leos. Nah man.
    .


    Yeah. Many time over everything about this sounds off.

    An officer witnesses a guy committing two felonies but doesn’t bother arresting him,and then the police chief shows up a year and a half later grandstanding and suggesting he could have even been drunk. The claimed quotes — I guess based on memory a year and a half later — sounds as phony as a three dollar bill too.

    As background this is the same police chief from Austin when cops tackled that jogger to the ground for jaywalking — he said that she was lucky she was in Austin because his officers just tackled her whereas in other places the officers would have sexually assaulted her. :?
    User avatar
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4784
    Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:58 am


  • seahawkfreak wrote:Blind lady ushers fans to their seat, fails.......Why?



    Still struggling
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 13137
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


  • Popeyejones wrote:
    kobebryant wrote:This just feels off. The man has a field pass, going on word of mouth over a year later, and with all the grandstanding by the leos. Nah man.
    .


    Yeah. Many time over everything about this sounds off.

    An officer witnesses a guy committing two felonies but doesn’t bother arresting him,and then the police chief shows up a year and a half later grandstanding and suggesting he could have even been drunk. The claimed quotes — I guess based on memory a year and a half later — sounds as phony as a three dollar bill too.

    As background this is the same police chief from Austin when cops tackled that jogger to the ground for jaywalking — he said that she was lucky she was in Austin because his officers just tackled her whereas in other places the officers would have sexually assaulted her. :?


    Yep you are right...conspiracy to get Bennett...let's get Scully and Mulder on this... :roll:
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions 2014.02.02 Seahawks 43 Broncos 8
    User avatar
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5745
    Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:20 am
    Location: BC Canada


  • Popeyejones wrote:
    kobebryant wrote:This just feels off. The man has a field pass, going on word of mouth over a year later, and with all the grandstanding by the leos. Nah man.
    .


    Yeah. Many time over everything about this sounds off.

    An officer witnesses a guy committing two felonies but doesn’t bother arresting him,and then the police chief shows up a year and a half later grandstanding and suggesting he could have even been drunk. The claimed quotes — I guess based on memory a year and a half later — sounds as phony as a three dollar bill too.

    As background this is the same police chief from Austin when cops tackled that jogger to the ground for jaywalking — he said that she was lucky she was in Austin because his officers just tackled her whereas in other places the officers would have sexually assaulted her. :?


    Yep, so many things feel off.

    What kind of police officer witnesses the assault of an elderly person with disabilities and doesn’t arrest the suspect right away? No video evidence at the Super Bowl of all places? Police Chief claiming they couldn’t find him - he appeared on the NFL network set? Now these grandstanding quotes from the chief about someone who hasn’t been convicted, essentially now tainting the objectivity of the proceedings? No medical records of said shoulder injury? Prioritizing more important cases, like the missing Tom Brady jersey?


    The involvement of Rusty Hardin suggests that this is going to go away.
    kobebryant
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2212
    Joined: Sat May 23, 2009 1:45 pm


  • kobebryant wrote:
    Popeyejones wrote:
    kobebryant wrote:This just feels off. The man has a field pass, going on word of mouth over a year later, and with all the grandstanding by the leos. Nah man.
    .


    Yeah. Many time over everything about this sounds off.

    An officer witnesses a guy committing two felonies but doesn’t bother arresting him,and then the police chief shows up a year and a half later grandstanding and suggesting he could have even been drunk. The claimed quotes — I guess based on memory a year and a half later — sounds as phony as a three dollar bill too.

    As background this is the same police chief from Austin when cops tackled that jogger to the ground for jaywalking — he said that she was lucky she was in Austin because his officers just tackled her whereas in other places the officers would have sexually assaulted her. :?


    Yep, so many things feel off.

    What kind of police officer witnesses the assault of an elderly person with disabilities and doesn’t arrest the suspect right away? No video evidence at the Super Bowl of all places? Police Chief claiming they couldn’t find him - he appeared on the NFL network set? Now these grandstanding quotes from the chief about someone who hasn’t been convicted, essentially now tainting the objectivity of the proceedings? No medical records of said shoulder injury? Prioritizing more important cases, like the missing Tom Brady jersey?


    The involvement of Rusty Hardin suggests that this is going to go away.


    The mental gymnastics some take to keep their “heroes” clean is unsurprising.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Milehighhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 644
    Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:33 pm


  • Milehighhawk wrote:
    kobebryant wrote:
    Popeyejones wrote:
    kobebryant wrote:This just feels off. The man has a field pass, going on word of mouth over a year later, and with all the grandstanding by the leos. Nah man.
    .


    Yeah. Many time over everything about this sounds off.

    An officer witnesses a guy committing two felonies but doesn’t bother arresting him,and then the police chief shows up a year and a half later grandstanding and suggesting he could have even been drunk. The claimed quotes — I guess based on memory a year and a half later — sounds as phony as a three dollar bill too.

    As background this is the same police chief from Austin when cops tackled that jogger to the ground for jaywalking — he said that she was lucky she was in Austin because his officers just tackled her whereas in other places the officers would have sexually assaulted her. :?


    Yep, so many things feel off.

    What kind of police officer witnesses the assault of an elderly person with disabilities and doesn’t arrest the suspect right away? No video evidence at the Super Bowl of all places? Police Chief claiming they couldn’t find him - he appeared on the NFL network set? Now these grandstanding quotes from the chief about someone who hasn’t been convicted, essentially now tainting the objectivity of the proceedings? No medical records of said shoulder injury? Prioritizing more important cases, like the missing Tom Brady jersey?


    The involvement of Rusty Hardin suggests that this is going to go away.


    The mental gymnastics some take to keep their “heroes” clean is unsurprising.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


    Sorry, I’m not clear.

    Michael Bennett is Kobe’s hero, my hero, or is both ours hero? :lol:
    User avatar
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4784
    Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:58 am


  • Watched that press conference, man oh man, lots and lots of people on stage in uniform or otherwise. One would think that it was the aftermath of a mass shooting, a train robbery, major natural disaster, or giving thoughts and prayers to something important. ALL those people, mostly on government payroll, spent hours, travelling expenses for a year old push and shove?

    Really?

    Bennett was clearly drunk and wrong, he deserve whatever he gets for his deed. But not the grandstanding.
    Last edited by KitsapGuy on Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Reason: Language

    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    ++ You can call me a homer, but I am not the only one ++
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    toffee
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 743
    Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:44 pm


  • ALL of this could have been avoided IF MB has just done as he was told by a person or persons who had the authority to do so. He chose to ignore that authority. Now, he will find out what authority means in the court system. I do not feel bad for him.
    Send Lawyers, Guns and Money!
    GO 'HAWKS!!
    User avatar
    WmHBonney
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1516
    Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:11 pm


  • Uncle Si wrote:
    seahawkfreak wrote:Blind lady ushers fans to their seat, fails.......Why?



    Still struggling


    Not really sure why you think you have the smug high ground here. Companies are not compelled to hire people that are not able to physically do the said profession. The Disabilities act only says you cannot discriminate against someone with a disability, if they can perform said job.

    You want argue that a that a senior citizen that is paraplegic can perform security fine but a company is not obliged if they feel if the jobs duty cannot be physically performed. I have nothing against handicap people so stop trying to be a hero. Certain jobs have to have physical standards.
    "It's Ground Hawks Day" Chris Berman
    User avatar
    seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4636
    Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:36 pm
    Location: Aiken , SC


  • seahawkfreak wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    seahawkfreak wrote:Blind lady ushers fans to their seat, fails.......Why?



    Still struggling


    Not really sure why you think you have the smug high ground here. Companies are not compelled to hire people that are not able to physically do the said profession. The Disabilities act only says you cannot discriminate against someone with a disability, if they can perform said job.

    You want argue that a that a senior citizen that is paraplegic can perform security fine but a company is not obliged if they feel if the jobs duty cannot be physically performed. I have nothing against handicap people so stop trying to be a hero. Certain jobs have to have physical standards.


    Have we established that she was an usher and not a bouncer?
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer
     
    Posts: 105094
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 12:29 pm


  • seahawkfreak wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    seahawkfreak wrote:Blind lady ushers fans to their seat, fails.......Why?



    Still struggling


    Not really sure why you think you have the smug high ground here. Companies are not compelled to hire people that are not able to physically do the said profession. The Disabilities act only says you cannot discriminate against someone with a disability, if they can perform said job.

    You want argue that a that a senior citizen that is paraplegic can perform security fine but a company is not obliged if they feel if the jobs duty cannot be physically performed. I have nothing against handicap people so stop trying to be a hero. Certain jobs have to have physical standards.



    Smug high ground? Is that better or worse then petulant straw arguments?

    You're painting a false equivalency and have yet to demonstrate you understand the difference in the requirements of any of the positions these jobs would have from hire to hire. Your comment on a blind person being an usher is a stark reflection of how desperate you are to try and link that together with little understanding of the differences.

    But yeah... keep thinking that security guards, ushers... basically every job has the same performance duties.
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 13137
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


  • Some must have a hard time understanding that most every stadium in pro and amateur sports hire many physically and mentally disabled workers. I had the pleasure of working with several in my past work history, and most absolutely love it because they wouldn't be given a chance in any other work place.
    "Practice without improvement is meaningless" - Chuck Knox
    User avatar
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2705
    Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:40 pm
    Location: South Seattle


  • As people go off to retreat into their corners, I think it's worth noting that BOTH of the following can be true:

    (1) Bennett was acting like a dbag in this situation and pushed through some people he wasn't supposed to push through to go celebrate with his brother, potentially injuring someone in the process.

    (2) Many of the details around the CHARGING of #1 feel really strange and off.

    If we want to have a productive conversation about this, I think it's important that if someone believes #2 it doesn't mean they don't believe #1, and vice-versa.
    User avatar
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4784
    Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:58 am


  • 2_0_6 wrote:Some must have a hard time understanding that most every stadium in pro and amateur sports hire many physically and mentally disabled workers. I had the pleasure of working with several in my past work history, and most absolutely love it because they wouldn't be given a chance in any other work place.


    Yeah, I don't really understand the debate around what seems to be a side issue to me.

    From reporting, here's the details I've gleamed on it so far:

    (1) Early reports said she was a security guard, and later reports seemed to clarify she was just some sort of stadium employee.

    (2) She's 66 and paraplegic. One report said her chair was 800 pounds, but that doesn't sound possible.

    (3) AFAWK she hasn't personally filed any complaints or charges, but was interviewed.

    (4) I've seen several mentions that the police report doesn't include any mention or documentation of her receiving any medical treatment for her injuries, but I'd want to actually see the police report before believing that.
    User avatar
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4784
    Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:58 am


  • Wasn't trying to sidetrack or make myself seem to be against anyone who is handicapped.

    I think we can all agree that if a person is not physically capable of doing the duties of a specific job they should not be put in that position. That's all.

    No reason to be offended or defensive.
    "It's Ground Hawks Day" Chris Berman
    User avatar
    seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4636
    Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:36 pm
    Location: Aiken , SC


  • Drama seems to follow this guy. Not saying my opinion either way. However, it's one thing after another. And if he did pull the whole "do you know who I am" type thing, just stop.........
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    User avatar
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 9318
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


  • seahawkfreak wrote:Wasn't trying to sidetrack or make myself seem to be against anyone who is handicapped.

    I think we can all agree that if a person is not physically capable of doing the duties of a specific job they should not be put in that position. That's all.

    No reason to be offended or defensive.


    I think the contention here is the assumption that all security guards would have the same expectations and responsibilities, handicapped or not.

    The person who checks the team in as they step off the bus into the tunnel has a far different job then the person at the front gate, or the ones patrolling the tunnel and field.

    Anyways, it doesn't matter the age, sex or physical capabilities of the persons involved. Bennett was acting out of line.
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 13137
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


  • seahawkfreak wrote:Wasn't trying to sidetrack or make myself seem to be against anyone who is handicapped.

    I think we can all agree that if a person is not physically capable of doing the duties of a specific job they should not be put in that position. That's all.

    No reason to be offended or defensive.


    I pretty much assume this, which is why I think it's safe to assume that the job she was doing is something she was able to do from a wheelchair, which is why it appears that people who are inferring she shouldn't be there, are doing more to deflect from the actual issue. The reasons for that deflection are their own, so anything I'd assume would be mere speculation, but the case will move forward and get resolved in some shape or form, and how it moves forward from here will be most telling. We really don't have enough information to form an informed opinion, but I'm certain that many have their minds already made up either way and some will take in information as it's made available and perhaps alter their current thoughts on the issue. Either way, it's likely to be awhile before much more happens on this as far as factual information released.
    Image

    “You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

    :les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    User avatar
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 19304
    Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:00 pm
    Location: Anchorage, AK


  • Michael Bennett is expected to turn himself in today....surely to be followed up by the feel sorry for me statement...
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions 2014.02.02 Seahawks 43 Broncos 8
    User avatar
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5745
    Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:20 am
    Location: BC Canada


  • Russ Willstrong wrote:Not to dismiss what Bennett did But it isnt clearly stated that this is a case of felony assault or that Bemnett intended to hurt the staff. Just that his misbehavior resulted in some degree of injury.
    Probably will end as a misdemeanor offense.


    This.
    User avatar
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4132
    Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:47 pm


  • Cyrus12 wrote:Michael Bennett is expected to turn himself in today....surely to be followed up by the feel sorry for me statement...


    I think he's in a bit of a tight spot. His lawyer probably won't want him apologizing just yet because that would indicate guilt. If, however, he comes out with his blow-hard self, that isn't going to look good if this actually pushes to trial. He could basically reinforce the notion that he's oblivious to the "peons" around him.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer
     
    Posts: 105094
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 12:29 pm


  • Regardless of the outcome in the end, if your the Philly front office this is something you definitely don't want to happen to a player that has yet to take a snap for you yet.
    "Practice without improvement is meaningless" - Chuck Knox
    User avatar
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2705
    Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:40 pm
    Location: South Seattle


  • There treating MB like he gave that elderly woman a DDT and a clothesline in the wrestling ring, geez
    hawks85
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 308
    Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:55 pm
    Location: Seattle, Washington


  • I am very surprised by the homerism on this thread. The point is, the entrance was closed and he was told no. It doesn't matter if she was disabled, physically fit or anyone In-between, these players for years have gotten away with murder...the difference this time is someone was injured. *MOD EDIT* You start thinking you are above the law and people get hurt.
    Fanatics
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 128
    Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:21 am


  • Popeyejones wrote:<snip>
    (2) She's 66 and paraplegic. One report said her chair was 800 pounds, but that doesn't sound possible.
    </snip>


    Those electric wheelchair scooter deals are heavy as hell.
    User avatar
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc
     
    Posts: 6238
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:29 pm
    Location: Orting WA, Great Northwet


  • For those questioning the seriousness of this charge and whether its been blown out of proportion. A grand jury was gathered, reviewed the evidence and decided to move forward with charges. In other words MB is screwed.
    RCATES
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 389
    Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:09 am


  • GeekHawk wrote:
    Popeyejones wrote:<snip>
    (2) She's 66 and paraplegic. One report said her chair was 800 pounds, but that doesn't sound possible.
    </snip>


    Those electric wheelchair scooter deals are heavy as hell.


    If he actually knocked over somebody in a wheelchair . . . . well, let's just say that takes a little more than an accident. For some reason I was visualizing someone in crutches.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer
     
    Posts: 105094
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 12:29 pm


  • RCATES wrote:For those questioning the seriousness of this charge and whether its been blown out of proportion. A grand jury was gathered, reviewed the evidence and decided to move forward with charges. In other words MB is screwed.


    That’s really not how this works. What it means is that in the one sided presentation of evidence enough evidence was presented to decide it’s worth going to trial. Basically, some witness statements — which is what the state has— and the case goes to trial.

    Once you get to trial there’s two sides, and a couple contrasting witness statements makes those witness statements that got the case to court look not nearly as hot. Then you throw the performance of the HPD Chief of Police into evidence and start slowly drawing the state’s impartiality into question, which isn’t hard to do as the HPD PC went on stage and created problems for his side over and over again. Basically, as the evidence sounds to be witness statements, contradictory credible witness statements (which the defense claims to already have) is enough to throw beyond a reasonable doubt right out the window, and Houston isn’t an easy jury to stack, either.

    Long story short, Bennett’s lawyer’s statement also tells us a lot. There’s no way he comes in that hot and agressively on making it clear there won’t be any plea bargains unless he’s confident he has a winner on his hands. That doesn’t mean he does, but the state has already said they don’t have any video, so MB is far from screwed at this point.
    User avatar
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4784
    Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:58 am


  • The show cause hearing is set for April 23– that is the next court date for Bennett. This is the hearing when prosecution and defense exchange the evidence they have, so we will have a better understanding at that time of what the witnesses and victim are saying (they all signed affidavits which will be available to the public at that time).

    Often, less serious cases are settled at this hearing— either with a plea or some other agreement.
    A.D.I.D.A.S.
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 83
    Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:54 pm


  • Never mind. Wrong Bennett.
    User avatar
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4056
    Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:50 am


  • Popeyejones wrote:As people go off to retreat into their corners, I think it's worth noting that BOTH of the following can be true:

    (1) Bennett was acting like a dbag in this situation and pushed through some people he wasn't supposed to push through to go celebrate with his brother, potentially injuring someone in the process.

    (2) Many of the details around the CHARGING of #1 feel really strange and off.

    If we want to have a productive conversation about this, I think it's important that if someone believes #2 it doesn't mean they don't believe #1, and vice-versa.



    Exactly. Bennett exceeded his boundaries. Of course what he did was wrong.
    But charging it in the same category of say Foster seems strange and misleading.

    There's the "reasonable person" theory that you get lectured on with every jury duty. Would a reasonable person go plowing through three people? Nope. Is it reasonably plausible that Bennett, caught up in the moment, wasn't mindful but not malicious of whom he was shoving? It is.

    IME, it is a reasonable possibility that this woman is a volunteer vs. paid staff. Volunteers sign way more paperwork indemnifying everyone else of basically everything, they get put in dangerous positions without the workers' comp liability, some of which are "fun" things that can get you hurt, and God forbid you say something to them as just staff. I worked at a nonprofit for years, and seniors got hurt b/c the n/p was more afraid of hurting their feelings and wrecking donations from said seniors.
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 289
    Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:17 am


  • Dave Zangaro

    @DZangaroNBCS


    Today was originally supposed to be Michael Bennett's next court date for that injury to the elderly charge, but court records show it has been pushed back. The arraignment is now scheduled for May 18 at 9:30 a.m.
    7:21 AM - Apr 23, 2018

    The date has been pushed back to may 18th , the anniversary of Mt. St. Helens blowing it's top btw .
    What are you
    I'm a mog , half man , half dog
    I'm my own best friend
    User avatar
    hawxfreak
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 498
    Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:04 pm
    Location: The Burbs in Lacey


  • If Bennett has a good lawyer, and he should, he'll face no jail time for this. The story looks worse for the Houston PD.
    Thomas Paine: To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead
    User avatar
    Seafan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5772
    Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:30 pm
    Location: Helotes, TX


  • Apparently he hasn’t showed for OTA’s with his new teammates yet.
    User avatar
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4056
    Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:50 am


  • brimsalabim wrote:Apparently he hasn’t showed for OTA’s with his new teammates yet.


    Neither has Tom Brady, Rob Gronkowski, Julio Jones, Aaron Donald, Earl Thomas, and who knows how many other guys.

    I don't see what that has to do with the topic of this thread though and I have no idea what your point is. Lots of guys, especially veterans, don't attend OTA's for any number of reasons.
    User avatar
    Chapow
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2549
    Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:38 pm


  • Chapow wrote:
    brimsalabim wrote:Apparently he hasn’t showed for OTA’s with his new teammates yet.


    Neither has Tom Brady, Rob Gronkowski, Julio Jones, Aaron Donald, Earl Thomas, and who knows how many other guys.

    I don't see what that has to do with the topic of this thread though and I have no idea what your point is. Lots of guys, especially veterans, don't attend OTA's for any number of reasons.



    I agree 100% that its not relevant to the story, but I will say that if you are a major acquisition for a new team in the offseason its probably best that you try to get acclimated as soon as possible to the new team.
    "Practice without improvement is meaningless" - Chuck Knox
    User avatar
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2705
    Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:40 pm
    Location: South Seattle


  • It's amazing that another SB came and went, and we're now just getting around to having a trial.
    "We have an opportunity to win multiple Super Bowls."
    -Russell Wilson
    User avatar
    Threedee
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1683
    Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:08 pm
    Location: Federal Way, WA


  • Threedee wrote:It's amazing that another SB came and went, and we're now just getting around to having a trial.

    Anybody who lived through OJ should not be surprised by the lack of speed of the judicial system.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer
     
    Posts: 105094
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 12:29 pm


  • HawkGA wrote:
    Threedee wrote:It's amazing that another SB came and went, and we're now just getting around to having a trial.

    Anybody who lived through OJ should not be surprised by the lack of speed of the judicial system.


    Why people (rightly, IMO) say that the sixth amendment is far-and-away the most violated amendment in the US Constitution.
    User avatar
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4784
    Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:58 am


  • Threedee wrote:It's amazing that another SB came and went, and we're now just getting around to having a trial.

    It was suggested by one in the know, above, that the cops were trying to sweep this one under the rug as the Bennett's are locals to Houston. This might explain the delay.

    Regardless of the stature and humbleness and philanthropy of Mikey B, he seems to have bowled over two security guards and knocked over a disabled pass-checker while trying to get on the field. Assault is defined as offensive touching. It sure sounds as if he's done that, and he allegedly did it while intoxicated. Plus, drunk or not, he ought to know his own strength.

    Bad Mike, bad, bad Mike.
    Journalism is dead, it's been replaced by creative writing aka fake news.
    Critical thinking is pretty much dead too. I miss the hearsay rule.
    The concept of "ethic" has been stripped from the Journalism curriculum.
    User avatar
    Rocket
    * .NET Attention Whore *
     
    Posts: 2982
    Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:12 pm
    Location: The Rain Forest


  • Rocket wrote:
    Threedee wrote:It's amazing that another SB came and went, and we're now just getting around to having a trial.

    It was suggested by one in the know, above, that the cops were trying to sweep this one under the rug as the Bennett's are locals to Houston. This might explain the delay.

    Regardless of the stature and humbleness and philanthropy of Mikey B, he seems to have bowled over two security guards and knocked over a disabled pass-checker while trying to get on the field. Assault is defined as offensive touching. It sure sounds as if he's done that, and he allegedly did it while intoxicated. Plus, drunk or not, he ought to know his own strength.

    Bad Mike, bad, bad Mike.


    If the security people and that disabled person would have been trianed properly by Cable they would have been completly out of the way. Not Micheals fault.
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 23965
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


PreviousNext


It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:59 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]




Information
  • Who is online