Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Owners Pass Simplified Catch Rule

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Owners Pass Simplified Catch Rule
Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:37 am
  • http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000923342/article/nfl-teams-unanimously-approve-simplified-catch-rule

The new rules defining a catch include:

1. Control of the ball.
    2. Two feet down or another body part.
    3. A football move such as:
    » A third step;
    » Reaching/extending for the line-to-gain;
    » Or the ability to perform such an act.

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Re: Owners Pass Simplified Catch Rule
Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:51 am
  • No more “going to the ground” bs. More fumbles are anticipated.
    replicant
    NET Rookie

Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:02 am
  • replicant wrote:No more “going to the ground” bs. More fumbles are anticipated.

It may, and I'm ok with that. Fumbles are a very exciting part of the game. More so than officials nullifying obvious catches (IMO).

It will be interesting how the "ground causing fumbles" and down by contact rules play into how the officials call fumbles this upcoming year, but I think it should improve the quality of the game.

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:04 am
  • This rule is going to cause a lot more fumbles.
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:06 am
  • kidhawk wrote:
    replicant wrote:No more “going to the ground” bs. More fumbles are anticipated.

It may, and I'm ok with that. Fumbles are a very exciting part of the game. More so than officials nullifying obvious catches (IMO).

It will be interesting how the "ground causing fumbles" and down by contact rules play into how the officials call fumbles this upcoming year, but I think it should improve the quality of the game.

I came here to post just this. The whole "going to the ground" concept was a fiasco from the start. At least anecdotally, more negative came from those judgement calls than positive. I am not sure I am a fan of the third clause they put in about "ability to do so" as that seems like a fairly ill-defined phrasing open to significant interpretation.
    Milehighhawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:08 am
  • Milehighhawk wrote:
    kidhawk wrote:
    replicant wrote:No more “going to the ground” bs. More fumbles are anticipated.

I came here to post just this. The whole "going to the ground" concept was a fiasco from the start. At least anecdotally, more negative came from those judgement calls than positive. I am not sure I am a fan of the third clause they put in about "ability to do so" as that seems like a fairly ill-defined phrasing open to significant interpretation.

It will be interesting to see how the officials interpret that. This is something that will hopefully become clear in the pre-season.

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:24 am
  • http://www.nfl.com/videos/football-101/0ap3000000923367/What-is-a-catch-now-Al-Riveron-explains-the-new-catch-rule

This link is a video of the head of NFL officiating discussing the rule change and shows a few video examples of what will be a catch now that wasn't previously, and adds in where some would be fumbles. He uses our game (in the ugly green uni) against the Cardinals where a Fumble we recovered was called "not a catch".

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:42 am
  • Well, at least they are trying. :229031_shrug:
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:29 pm
  • This is very telling IMO.

League owners approved modifications to the catch rule for the 2018 season during the Annual League Meeting on Tuesday. The changes passed unanimously on a 32-0 vote

They knew it was a huge problem. Kudos to them for doing something about it instead of burying their heads in the sand and ignoring it.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:05 pm
  • Still don’t like “the football move” BS. The rule needs to be as simple as possible.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:27 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:Still don’t like “the football move” BS. The rule needs to be as simple as possible.

AGreeed.....Tippytoes on the sideline catch equates to a football move. And there is none. Sheesh.
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:30 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:Still don’t like “the football move” BS. The rule needs to be as simple as possible.

I do like the fact that they've defined several things that make a football move, thus eliminating those things from being discretionary. Over time, as the rule plays out, we may find some football moves that aren't being called, but they can add those specifically at a later date. It still is a vast improvement over the previous rule.

Also, the officials are given guidelines as to how they want rules enforced, and this rule is pretty explicit about wanting catches to be declared in a simplistic manner, so I don't think that we'll see a lot of officials trying to decipher if something is or isn't a football move.

I mean, a third step, or extending for yards are probably the two biggest areas where that was an issue previously

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:31 pm
  • Seahawkfan80 wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:Still don’t like “the football move” BS. The rule needs to be as simple as possible.

AGreeed.....Tippytoes on the sideline catch equates to a football move. And there is none. Sheesh.

Two feet down or another body part (such as a knee as explained in the video). Pretty self explanatory really

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:17 pm
  • kidhawk wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:Still don’t like “the football move” BS. The rule needs to be as simple as possible.

I do like the fact that they've defined several things that make a football move, thus eliminating those things from being discretionary. Over time, as the rule plays out, we may find some football moves that aren't being called, but they can add those specifically at a later date. It still is a vast improvement over the previous rule.

Also, the officials are given guidelines as to how they want rules enforced, and this rule is pretty explicit about wanting catches to be declared in a simplistic manner, so I don't think that we'll see a lot of officials trying to decipher if something is or isn't a football move.

I mean, a third step, or extending for yards are probably the two biggest areas where that was an issue previously

Oh, I agree it’s much better, no argument there, but I don’t want ANY grey area that can be left up to a zebras “interpretation”
    Back in the 80’s and 90’s a catch was obvious and there was never any question about what was and what wasn’t because the rule was simple. The Whole rulebook needs to be streamlined and simplified IMHO, but this is a step in the right direction though.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:12 am
  • Sports Hernia wrote:Oh, I agree it’s much better, no argument there, but I don’t want ANY grey area that can be left up to a zebras “interpretation”
    Back in the 80’s and 90’s a catch was obvious and there was never any question about what was and what wasn’t because the rule was simple. The Whole rulebook needs to be streamlined and simplified IMHO, but this is a step in the right direction though.

No it wasn't obvious in the 80s and 90s, which is what led to the rule you have today. There was always a grey area of "did he have possession long enough to be considered a catch". They tried to define this grey area, but they over-complicated it.

I think this new catch rule is about as perfect as you can get.
    Mindsink
    NET Starter

Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:46 am
  • In reality, they just changed it back to the way it used to be. There are always going to be vague perceptions as to did he or didn't he. That's just a by product of a fast paced sport.
    ~ HOLY CATFISH ~
    MD5eahawks
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:29 am
  • One thing that won't change is Collinsworth will disagree with every call and drone on for 10 minutes about how his opinion is somehow valid.

:lol:

At any rate, I guess at least they did "something." Not holding out a ton of hope that it's going to change things a lot, but I guess we'll see. If nothing else it should be interesting to watch it play out (so to speak).
    Jase
    NET Starter

Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:22 am
  • Mindsink wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:Oh, I agree it’s much better, no argument there, but I don’t want ANY grey area that can be left up to a zebras “interpretation”

No it wasn't obvious in the 80s and 90s, which is what led to the rule you have today. There was always a grey area of "did he have possession long enough to be considered a catch". They tried to define this grey area, but they over-complicated it.

In the 80s-90s I don't remember there ever being a fuss about what was a catch or not.
    It was people wanting to get more offense changing crap to try and favor that side.
    One step in any direction was a football move period.I dunno where it had or has to be 3
    came from because that is plain stupid.
    You got ball ..You are live without even moving..Easy as that!
    Will Dissly
    2018 Adopt a rookie
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:50 am
  • IndyHawk wrote:
    Mindsink wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:Oh, I agree it’s much better, no argument there, but I don’t want ANY grey area that can be left up to a zebras “interpretation”

In the 80s-90s I don't remember there ever being a fuss about what was a catch or not.
    It was people wanting to get more offense changing crap to try and favor that side.
    One step in any direction was a football move period.I dunno where it had or has to be 3

I'm interpreting the "Third Step" as meaning you get two feet down and take a step. The first 2 steps being getting the feet down. I believe that's what they mean with that definition.

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:15 pm
  • "Ability to perform such an act" seems a little subjective...
    AAR - CJ Prosise RB/WR/??? - Notre Dame
    TriCHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:25 pm
  • TriCHawk wrote:"Ability to perform such an act" seems a little subjective...

I think it's meant to cover what's not already covered. The list isn't something that they need to check all of them off for it to be a catch. Anything on that list makes it a catch, so adding that bit just gives the officials more leeway towards allowing the catch, whereas the previous rule made it hard for officials to rule using the "eye test"

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:51 pm
  • kidhawk wrote:
    IndyHawk wrote:
    Mindsink wrote:

I'm interpreting the "Third Step" as meaning you get two feet down and take a step. The first 2 steps being getting the feet down. I believe that's what they mean with that definition.

Yes I get that but there was a part where if he hadn't turned upfield with a step it wasn't a football move
    for a fumble..I sure hope that is fixed because you catch it ..You are live regardless of moving (feet are down)
    Will Dissly
    2018 Adopt a rookie
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:56 pm
  • IndyHawk wrote:
    kidhawk wrote:
    IndyHawk wrote:
    Mindsink wrote:

Yes I get that but there was a part where if he hadn't turned upfield with a step it wasn't a football move
    for a fumble..I sure hope that is fixed because you catch it ..You are live regardless of moving (feet are down)

In the video I linked above, they showed a fumble reversed to a non-catch that happened when we played the cardinals that they said would have been a catch/fumble our recovery under the new rule. I think that may be what you're saying here.

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:11 pm
  • But what happens now when someone dives for a catch and drop it when they land? will all of those be catches too?

IMO, that creates a reverse problem, were it will be ruled a catch but looks and feels like a drop. I think a catch means catching the ball and hanging on to the ball in the next immidiate sequence, meaning if you get hit as soon as your feet land it and drop it it is not a catch, and if you dive for it, land knee first and drop it when your upper body hit the ground that should not be a catch either.

The only problem with the catch rule was that they should have ruled football move on all those controversial ones. Now instead they seemingly took a huge skill element away from the game, since the main difficulty in a diving catch is hanging on to the ball when you land...
    Swedishhawkfan
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:14 pm
  • Swedishhawkfan wrote:But what happens now when someone dives for a catch and drop it when they land? will all of those be catches too?

IMO, that creates a reverse problem, were it will be ruled a catch but looks and feels like a drop. I think a catch means catching the ball and hanging on to the ball in the next immidiate sequence, meaning if you get hit as soon as your feet land it and drop it it is not a catch, and if you dive for it, land knee first and drop it when your upper body hit the ground that should not be a catch either.

The only problem with the catch rule was that they should have ruled football move on all those controversial ones. Now instead they seemingly took a huge skill element away from the game, since the main difficulty in a diving catch is hanging on to the ball when you land...

I haven't heard about this specifically, but if they don't land first with control of the ball this would be a non-catch from my understanding. Of course we'll probably see more clarification in the pre-season

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:48 pm
  • The going to the ground rule about the ball touching the turf is the biggest issue, is it secured or is it a incompletion if the nose happens to touch, they always go back to ball movement even when the receivers hands are under the ball.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:09 pm
  • kidhawk wrote:
    IndyHawk wrote:
    kidhawk wrote:
    IndyHawk wrote:In the 80s-90s I don't remember there ever being a fuss about what was a catch or not.

In the video I linked above, they showed a fumble reversed to a non-catch that happened when we played the cardinals that they said would have been a catch/fumble our recovery under the new rule. I think that may be what you're saying here.

That is what I was thinking..Well that answers my end at this point.
    Will Dissly
    2018 Adopt a rookie
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:18 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:The going to the ground rule about the ball touching the turf is the biggest issue, is it secured or is it a incompletion if the nose happens to touch, they always go back to ball movement even when the receivers hands are under the ball.

I think we'll see those be incomplete on dive/catches, but more completions when they've gotten 2 feet down first or whichever criteria is used to consider it a catch.

This really is the biggest stickler here is the element of control. That one piece is where we need to see where the officials are calling it.

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

It is currently Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:14 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information