Seahawks hosting CB- Kenneth Acker - Signed with the Colts

vin.couve12

Reaction score
CB doesn't seem to have a lot of depth in the draft this year. That's another angle.

Edit: That meet Seahawk criteria, I should say, and that aren't projects.

chris98251

Reaction score
As the draft gets closer and the behind the scenes moves happen or don't we are going to be hedging our bets a lot here.

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Acker has got 31' arms which doesn't quite fit the profile but was adequate depth in SF and in KC. This visit still has the look of a hedge to me.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
jammerhawk":25r4yf1j said:
Acker has got 31' arms which doesn't quite fit the profile but was adequate depth in SF and in KC. This visit still has the look of a hedge to me.
Yeah, there are more 6'+ corners with 31" arms in the draft this year than in previous years. There's even a 6'2 one with a 4.41 40 and a 41 inch vert.....has 31" arms. It's odd.

That said, he has actual NFL experience. I'd really like to see 2012 level competition in camps though and they need to get the sticks out of their butts about young players getting PT. That's what made us good. It can go very wrong, but we've just been really conservative the last few years. That said, I don't think anything sticks out about Acker. JAG really. STer.

Which might be convenient. I think Thorpe is going to show up this year and we'll need a quality ST player to take his place.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
vin.couve12":2ha6kptz said:
jammerhawk":2ha6kptz said:
Yeah, there are more 6'+ corners with 31" arms in the draft this year than in previous years. There's even a 6'2 one with a 4.41 40 and a 41 inch vert.....has 31" arms. It's odd.

That said, he has actual NFL experience. I'd really like to see 2012 level competition in camps though and they need to get the sticks out of their butts about young players getting PT. That's what made us good. It can go very wrong, but we've just been really conservative the last few years. That said, I don't think anything sticks out about Acker. JAG really. STer.

Which might be convenient. I think Thorpe is going to show up this year and we'll need a quality ST player to take his place.
I'm trying to understand the arm length angle..31in is short?I can see if your 5:9 but if your 6:2 with a
high vertical then wouldn't that 2in loss in arm length be moot?
I think the hands should be measured as well..The 5:9 guy may have an insane vertical and long hands
but only 30in arms but still may get up higher than someone over 6:0

original poster

Reaction score
Odd visit. I'd guarantee this is a hedge against Maxwell.

Typically they go for 32" arms as a minimum (with the exception of the slot IIRC).

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
IndyHawk":1i53c6oo said:
vin.couve12":1i53c6oo said:
jammerhawk":1i53c6oo said:

I'm trying to understand the arm length angle..31in is short?I can see if your 5:9 but if your 6:2 with a
I think the hands should be measured as well..The 5:9 guy may have an insane vertical and long hands

I believe I read somewhere that every single all pro CB for awhile, has had 32" arms.

pcbball12

Reaction score
IndyHawk":15czjlvk said:
vin.couve12":15czjlvk said:
jammerhawk":15czjlvk said:

The arm length issue comes into play when jamming a receiver playing press coverage. That is why the 32 in arms seems to be the threshold, for guys that are going to play on the outside and press a lot. In our system, that length is kind of a must when pressing, not so much in a nickel/slot corner. Exceptions can be made for rare guys, but it’s like the 33 (or is it 34) in arms for offensive tackles.

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
IndyHawk":nd5830qy said:
vin.couve12":nd5830qy said:
jammerhawk":nd5830qy said:

Playing corner is more than just jumping up in the air.

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I really don't think arm length means all that much and more than anything it's the length of the player's wingspan that is to me the most important, 78" is the team usual standard minimum. The Hawks however do still have a standard prototype CB and each of them save for the dedicated slot CB have +32 inch arm length so any player with shorter arms than that is an exception..

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Oh, as far as why arm length matters for CBs, yes, press is one of them. You may have heard the term "playing from the trail position" and that happens a lot, especially in man. It also helps with WRs that can box out by being able to slap or stab at the ball rather than just arm raking. Lots of reasons having to do with when the ball arrives.

NINEster

Reaction score
hgwellz12":1yhaibvr said:
IndyHawk":1yhaibvr said:
vin.couve12":1yhaibvr said:
jammerhawk":1yhaibvr said:

Playing corner is more than just jumping up in the air.

LOL, in the good ole days you had 5'7"-5'8" Darrell Green and 5'7" Eric Allen covering 6'2" Jerry Rice.

chris98251

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1q4itskm said:
As much as I hate the Niners, nobody could really cover Jerry Rice.

Sure they could, when he wasn't in a Pick play, 49ers were the team that perfected that move which installed that rule.

original poster

Reaction score
Signed with the Colts.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/NFL_DovKleiman/status/984040745719029760[/tweet]