Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

QB Geno Smith Visiting Seahawks ( Signs With Chargers)

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13

Re: QB Geno Smith Visiting Seahawks
Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:10 pm
    Ilinoiseyhawk
    NET Bench Warmer

Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:19 pm
  • Latest guy who thinks the earth is flat..... nice!
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:38 pm
  • We can do better.
    Superbowl XLVIII Champions..."Can't keep everyone."
    onanygivensunday
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:57 pm
  • I feel better with Davis.
    Will Dissly
    2018 Adopt a rookie
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:07 pm
    chawx
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:43 pm
  • As a NY''er I'll tell you he's terrible
    seabowl
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:53 pm
  • Ilinoiseyhawk wrote:Image

Ha! Ha! Nice, you beat me to the Michael Scott gif.

Geno is horrible. Give me Kaep, The Sanchize, even Clipboard J Whitehurst over this guy any day. Yuck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    James in PA
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:24 pm
  • Well now ... you know, he COULD have some redeeming qualities. After all, he's from Georgia. Perhaps he's a good cook and makes a mean jambalaya or even a good shrimp gumbo. I mean, you never know.
    Hawkscanner
    * NET Sage *

Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:46 pm
  • I honestly don't care who the backup is. If RW goes down we aren't winning many games regardless of who the backup is.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:41 pm
  • Its not like tjack was some great qb. He was a great back up because he wasn't jealous of RW.
    StaffAmerica74
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:02 pm
  • QB controversy?
    King Dog
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:05 pm
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:I honestly don't care who the backup is. If RW goes down we aren't winning many games regardless of who the backup is.

Exactly how I feel.
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:19 pm
  • He should be cheap. That's probably the most important qualification.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:33 pm
  • We havn't had a talented backup for years..He should fit right in.
    Recon_Hawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:00 pm
  • Who was the QB that John Schneider just traveled to Laramie, Wyoming, to watch throw the ball in person? I would say that we might just land our next backup QB in the 2018 draft, where John found Russell Wilson not so many years ago.
    The 12th man, is the true heart and soul of the Seahawks. As goes the 12th man, so go the Seahawks. Change is Inevitable. Seahawk 12th Man for Life.
    pacific101
    NET Starter

Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:20 pm
  • pacific101 wrote:Who was the QB that John Schneider just traveled to Laramie, Wyoming, to watch throw the ball in person? I would say that we might just land our next backup QB in the 2018 draft, where John found Russell Wilson not so many years ago.

Josh Allen.
    www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:13 am
  • Nooooo
    lobohawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:22 am
  • Austin Davis is better than Geno Smith.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:27 am
  • It's ok if he visits just hope he doesnt overstay his welcome.
    homerun1970
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:16 am
  • Please keep in mind he would be a back up, not a starter. At least he wouldn't come with a circus like Kaep, Tebow, or Johnny Money.
    ~ HOLY CATFISH ~
    MD5eahawks
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:47 am
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:I honestly don't care who the backup is. If RW goes down we aren't winning many games regardless of who the backup is.

Exactly right Hawk-Lock. Whoever comes in to be the backup QB is someone who hope never sees the field. If Wilson goes down, then yeah, the season would appear to be pretty much a wash.

On the other hand... ask Eagles fans just how important Nick Foles was last year. Ask Bills fans just how important Frank Reich was. So, backup QB's can and have made a significant impact before.

In a backup, you ideally want someone who can work well with your starting QB -- someone who will not just hold the clipboard, but more importantly be that guy who can be a 2nd QB coach (if you will). You want a guy who can read defenses from afar ... see what it is that they're trying to do ... and then effectively be able to communicate that to the coaching staff and to Russell Wilson. You want someone who can compete too, who will push Russell Wilson, and put a little pressure on Wilson to be the best he can be. 99% of the time that's the main job of the backup QB.

Ideally though, you DO want a guy who can win you a game or two if need be because as the Eagles showed once again last year ... you never know when you might actually need him.
    Hawkscanner
    * NET Sage *

Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:38 am
  • The most important question I have is....how is his penmanship??
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:15 am
  • I prefer how the Patriots approach things.

Since the Patriots are smarter and have had more success - it MIGHT be a better idea to follow their example than say, how the Miami Dolphins or Bills approach things.

The advantage of bringing in a rookie QB that you can groom to take over if need be, is that you can potentially use that same QB as trade later on. Hell, even Kessler got traded.

There are a number of QBs that are available and will be available in the later rounds. That would be a better approach.

(As Vin pointed out there is one that might be there and players that tend to shine in the Senior Bowl have an interesting habit of turning into pretty good players later. )

Yes, we were sort of on that track with Boykin but remember that Boykin was the same guy that screwed up right before a bowl game. It was clear that priorities and judgement were going to be an issue (2 things that supposedly you want a QB to be good at?), and should have been a red flag. But, they took a flyer on a risk - it did not work out. That does not mean the approach is not valid.

It seems a much better move to get a QB that can potentially turn into trade capital later than a barely useful journeyman that isn't really going to help you on game days anyway. While I am very excited about potentially losing Austin Davis, not sure this is not a lateral move if we get Smith.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:26 am
  • I am in the camp that I think Geno never got the chances that he should have gotten.

He was on a BAD Jets team followed by a bad Giants team

The incident where he got punched in the face derailed the one season where he could have proven if he was good player or not

Sure after this many years in the league we know that he will never be a star, but I don't know that we know if he is a serviceable backup or not....
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:45 am
  • They could honesty bring in the QB from the Napoleon Dynamite film for all I care.
    www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:20 am
  • original poster wrote:They could honesty bring in the QB from the Napoleon Dynamite film for all I care.

Done deal!! :2thumbs:

Seymour
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:36 am
  • This is so bad and stupid that it probably happens.
    The Moment: Image
    TwilightError
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:25 am
  • We will sign whoever takes the cheapest money. No way they throw anymore than a million at a back up QB.
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions 2014.02.02 Seahawks 43 Broncos 8
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:27 pm
  • Cyrus12 wrote:We will sign whoever takes the cheapest money. No way they throw anymore than a million at a back up QB.

So a rookie then. I guess there might be a #2 QB in the NFL who is not on a rookie deal and is making less than a million, but I can’t think of one.
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:55 pm
  • No.

Gimme Johnny Manziel!
    "Awww, you so weak!" Richard Sherman to Joe Webb

"Uh, huh, you suck!" Richard Sherman to Pierre Garçon

"Don't f***** try me--I'm the best!" Richard Sherman

Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    TheLegendOfBoom
    NET Veteran

Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:06 pm
  • TheLegendOfBoom wrote:No.

Gimme Johnny Manziel!

:pukeface:
    nrayorr
    NET Rookie

Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:09 pm

In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• I am flabbergasted at both the thought and the reasons behind it of the backup QB not mattering.
    First, the idea that a backup can't even prevent one loss in the best of circumstances or that as little as one game can be worth caring about. It is especially appalling to see this sentiment from the fans of a franchise with such a history of using HFA to achieve all 3 of their Super Bowl appearances. Do people really think the Hawks don't have a win in their recent run that had a chance of happening with someone like Foles or Keenum? Have people not noticed that at least one loss might have been avoided by having a healthier Russ? Was Philly not widely considered dependent on Wentz?
    Next, it doesn't surprise me to see/hear national media say something akin to Russ deserves all the credit for any Hawks success, but when Hawk fans say it (I confess to a big ego when it comes to football understanding and being judgmental) I feel for certain that they don't know what they're talking about. Even this past season included a win in which the offense benefited from 5 turnovers and still had no claim to say they even carried their weight; do people really think Russ played well in LA or there isn't a backup around who had a chance with this team in that game or against the 9ers, Giants, or Colts? Do people watch it all and say the good is all Russ and all the struggles are proof that nobody else on the team can play?
    purpleneer
    NET Starter

• Were you a ball of nerves last season when Boykin and Davis were our backups? Yeah, me neither. 98% of NFL teams have a crappy backup QB. How often does Wilson get sidelined with injuries? Not a huge priority. Davis was a backup last season and he'll do just fine in that same role this season.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• chawx wrote:Image

Y'all need to sign Kaepernick so my avatar can finally become a reality...

This, of course, has been my dream since Frodo was drafted in the 3rd round. Can you imagine? What if Kap gives him a piggy back ride? It would be a hobbit* riding a giraffe.

*And he's definitely a hobbit: he's short, he has One Ring, and if he went to Mordor he'd slip right through their grasps like he had an elvish cloak of invisibility...
    5_Golden_Rings
    NET Veteran

• Frodo? How original
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• purpleneer wrote:I am flabbergasted at both the thought and the reasons behind it of the backup QB not mattering.
    First, the idea that a backup can't even prevent one loss in the best of circumstances or that as little as one game can be worth caring about. It is especially appalling to see this sentiment from the fans of a franchise with such a history of using HFA to achieve all 3 of their Super Bowl appearances. Do people really think the Hawks don't have a win in their recent run that had a chance of happening with someone like Foles or Keenum? Have people not noticed that at least one loss might have been avoided by having a healthier Russ? Was Philly not widely considered dependent on Wentz?
    Next, it doesn't surprise me to see/hear national media say something akin to Russ deserves all the credit for any Hawks success, but when Hawk fans say it (I confess to a big ego when it comes to football understanding and being judgmental) I feel for certain that they don't know what they're talking about. Even this past season included a win in which the offense benefited from 5 turnovers and still had no claim to say they even carried their weight; do people really think Russ played well in LA or there isn't a backup around who had a chance with this team in that game or against the 9ers, Giants, or Colts? Do people watch it all and say the good is all Russ and all the struggles are proof that nobody else on the team can play?

Nice post. I wholeheartedly agree, that while Russell Wilson has proven himself to be a valuable asset to his team, he is not the entire team, and when he’s having a bad day, he really has a bad day. Somehow, someway, even on those days, he sometimes manages to pull himself out of it and saves the day, but not without the heart and soul, belief, trust, and all out effort of the rest of the team.
    I think one of Russell’s greatest detriments, is his believing half the exaggerated crap the NFL media talking heads have to say about him, and who try to paint him as a one man football team, who does it all himself. All wins are credited to him, all losses were the result of his teammates playing substandard football and letting him down.

I love Russell Wilson, I really do, his arrival in Seattle turned the Seahawks into the team I always dreamed and believed it could be. Mostly because of his belief in himself, and his full on belief that it was his destiny to lead this team to multiple Super Bowl Championships, and I for one believe he still will. He has matured, and “Thank God” finally pulled his head out of the heavenly clouds and gotten his feet back on the ground, long enough to once again, become of some earthly good.

I would love for Russell to put his team ahead of himself when he is having one of his totally suck days, and let his backup get us to the win, instead of riding his determination and belief he can win it, right down to the last loosing second left on the time clock. I guess he’s watched enough to know that if you do that too often in the NFL you can find yourself taking a backup to your own backup, if they happen to also be talented and capable as he is. That said is exactly why the Seahawks do need to secure a “real and fully capable backup Quarter Back, that is as good or even better than Russell is”.

I am a tried and true believer in Pete Carroll’s compete for your position philosophy, and it seems to prove itself out as a winning formula time and again, but with that said, as spectators we can all see that philosophy applies to most players and positions, but not all, and if you look back over the past couple of seasons, it’s those exceptions that have proven to work against us instead of for us.

I think the choices we make for our backup Quarterback is maybe more important to our success than any other position on our roster. A mediocre QB won’t lead us to the playoffs, or to a Super Bowl championship. It’s exactly why we need to fill this vacancy with a proven, fully capable QB like Colin Kaepernick, or what appears to be a fit as a Quarterback out of the draft, like for instance, Josh Allen, LMAO, bet no one saw that coming out my mouth, LOL. I’m probably totally out to lunch on my take on this prospect, but over the years I have found myself seeing a college player who I’m all but positive is a fit for the Seahawks, and that is what I see in Josh Allen. It’s not anything in particular, just the whole package.

Kind of like how I feel about the prospect of drafting, Shaquem Griffin, who has a contagious, infectious heart and soul determination and belief embedded in him, that no one can deny nor diminish, that I might add, is big enough to spread out across the entire Pacific Northwest, I have always maintained that the Seahawks are an emotionally fueled team, that thrives when its core spirit is fed by folks like Pete Carroll, Russell Wilson, and personalities like them. I guess only time will tell, I for one “ Still Believe”! Sorry for straying a little off topic at the end.
    The 12th man, is the true heart and soul of the Seahawks. As goes the 12th man, so go the Seahawks. Change is Inevitable. Seahawk 12th Man for Life.
    pacific101
    NET Starter

• What QB in the league would remove himself form the game voluntarily if he was having an off day so his backup could play? Has this ever happened? Should Russell have removed himself from the NFC Championship when he threw four picks?

How in the world is backup QB our most important need? If our backup QB was as good or better than Russell then we should just trade Wilson for draft picks and play the rookie. He'd be a franchise QB if he was that good.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

• adeltaY wrote:What QB in the league would remove himself form the game voluntarily if he was having an off day so his backup could play? Has this ever happened? Should Russell have removed himself from the NFC Championship when he threw four picks?

How in the world is backup QB our most important need? If our backup QB was as good or better than Russell then we should just trade Wilson for draft picks and play the rookie. He'd be a franchise QB if he was that good.

Exactly. With all the issues this team has, people are worried about the back up QB? Wow.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

• If we are going to ask Russell to be 85% of the offense while "protecting" him with stank line then we should invest in a back up plan because the odds are pretty good that he will eventually get popped. Mark me down for the Patriot plan.
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran

• brimsalabim wrote:If we are going to ask Russell to be 85% of the offense while "protecting" him with stank line then we should invest in a back up plan because the odds are pretty good that he will eventually get popped. Mark me down for the Patriot plan.

Don't you know that once your QB goes down you throw in the towel on the season, much like the Eagles and Vikings did last year. The experts here have said so. :stirthepot:

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• adeltaY wrote:What QB in the league would remove himself form the game voluntarily if he was having an off day so his backup could play? Has this ever happened? Should Russell have removed himself from the NFC Championship when he threw four picks?

Now don’t go putting words in my mouth, I didn’t say the backup QB was the most important need, I only said that we needed to take that position seriously and pick someone that can actually do the job, if Russell goes down and out. Your right it’s the coaches job to recognize when his QB is involved in a train wreck day, and either figure out how to pull him out of it or “pull him out”.

I also realize it’s about the last thing a coach ever wants to do because QBs have a tendency to interpret that as a loss of confidence by his team, and then God forbid, his backup does get us out of there with an impressive win, they worry they might lose their job to the backup.

When Russell is having one of those kind of days, rare as they may be, he usually doesn’t reverse out of it and seems to only get worse as the game wears on. When he is having one of his sick days it usually ends with a record breaking defeat, that leaves the rest of the team, feeling emotionally defeated and embarrassed. The fans are generally lined up to vent their embarrassment and disappointment on the coaches and players as well.

We have all sat in this forum following one of these sort of games, and it sure ain’t pretty. In conclusion, if for whatever reason is pulled out of a game, or God forbid games, we better damn well have something in the wings that can get out there and lead this team thru the rest of the game, games or season.

Hiring someone who can fill in for the loss of Russell Wilson, is not the same as it might be for a lot of other teams. When you build a machine centered around the skills of one man like the Seahawks have done, you need someone of matched caliber and pedigree to fill his shoes, and not some mediocre QB we stuffed in the roster to save a buck, praying that we never have to bring him in for more than a play or two. If we are going to do that just sign Doug Baldwin to a second contract position, not to say that Doug is mediocre, but you get my drift.
    pacific101
    NET Starter

• I get your point that the backup QB should be good, but the amount of capital we'd have to invest to get someone like Allen is so high that it wouldn't make sense IMO. The Chiefs did something close to what you're suggesting last year, but it was clear they were fully committed to moving on from Alex Smith after this year. Russell Wilson is much better than Alex Smith and I don't see the Seahawks trading him.

I also disagree that Russ doesn't improve on lousy starts. The 2017 narrative is that he was crap in the first three quarters and amazing in the fourth, which was true this year. Both Niners games this year he was bad and then turned it on to get us both wins. The Jags game he was bad and then lit them up and had us in position to drive down for the win but for an uncalled hold on Paul Richardson that cost us. The Titans game was a mess, but he threw for 370+ yards and 4 TDs, but unfortunately the defense also collapsed that game. The Colts game was similar - nothing going in the first half and then an offensive explosion in the second. Honestly, if there's one thing you can say about Russell Wilson, it's that he overcomes bad starts.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

• You blame Wilson for bad starts, I blame bad game planning to get things started, we will see if that changes with a new OC.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• I don't blame Wilson, I'm just talking about the stats and the narrative. I've defended him pretty consistently, especially given his career numbers don't match up to the "he sucks til the fourth quarter" notion.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

• 5_Golden_Rings wrote:
    chawx wrote:Image

Y'all need to sign Kaepernick so my avatar can finally become a reality...

This, of course, has been my dream since Frodo was drafted in the 3rd round. Can you imagine? What if Kap gives him a piggy back ride? It would be a hobbit* riding a giraffe.

*And he's definitely a hobbit: he's short, he has One Ring, and if he went to Mordor he'd slip right through their grasps like he had an elvish cloak of invisibility...

Unfortunately.....that is Gollum sitting next to Frodo.
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

• adeltaY wrote:I get your point that the backup QB should be good, but the amount of capital we'd have to invest to get someone like Allen is so high that it wouldn't make sense IMO. The Chiefs did something close to what you're suggesting last year, but it was clear they were fully committed to moving on from Alex Smith after this year. Russell Wilson is much better than Alex Smith and I don't see the Seahawks trading him.

I also disagree that Russ doesn't improve on lousy starts. The 2017 narrative is that he was crap in the first three quarters and amazing in the fourth, which was true this year. Both Niners games this year he was bad and then turned it on to get us both wins. The Jags game he was bad and then lit them up and had us in position to drive down for the win but for an uncalled hold on Paul Richardson that cost us. The Titans game was a mess, but he threw for 370+ yards and 4 TDs, but unfortunately the defense also collapsed that game. The Colts game was similar - nothing going in the first half and then an offensive explosion in the second. Honestly, if there's one thing you can say about Russell Wilson, it's that he overcomes bad starts.

Absolutely true that Wilson finishes strong after bad starts sometimes, but quite a few of those have still been losses because of the bad start and what it does to the defense. I'd actually attribute most of the bad starts to the overly concerned about turnovers, under concerned about repeated 3-and-outs attitude and the lack of a true offensive authority handicapping the OC with Cable's stale system and treating the preferred means like they were instead the goal.
    As far as how to get that backup, moving up in the first doesn't make sense, but I would consider the right guy earlier than most (considering inherent roster limitations and that we shouldn't want too many rookies, potential future value, and the fact that no pick area is as sure of a thing as many think). And I'm just talking about having a guy who doesn't make us afraid to sit Russ for a week or even just a half so he can actually get healthy when he needs to. Even with Boykin, I was saying (and haven't changed my mind) that they should have sat Russ against the Jets. It wouldn't take much quality to make a spot start like that make sense.
    purpleneer
    NET Starter

It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:32 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information