NFL wants to allow video on the sidelines, coaches say no.

kidhawk

Reaction score
SeatownJay":1skpt6ty said:
So apparently the NFL wants to allow video to be viewed by coaches on the sidelines in addition to still images. The coaches, though, have rejected it. Their reason for not wanting it? It would make their job easier. Seriously.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2300 ... ines-games

Well there's more to it than just the fact that it makes their jobs easier. As it says in the article, it would take away the advantage a team has for having the coaching staff that is better at making in game adjustments on the fly. They believe if they have the video on the sideline, then the coaches who aren't as good at it will find it easier to make the proper adjustments, therefor eliminating the edge teams have with better coaches.

It kind of makes sense if you believe you are better at it than your peers, but half the coaches are worse than the other half, so it stands to reason it would make at least half the teams better at in game adjustments. Of course I'd be willing to bet that if you poll all 32 coaching staffs, at least 90% would say that they are on of the better staffs at in game adjustments. It's that belief that is keeping the system from being implemented.

In reality, I think that it would be a great tool to have for every team. Great coaches can find other ways to implement game plans to work against the video that the other coaches have just seen.

mrt144

Reaction score
kidhawk":38hei96r said:
SeatownJay":38hei96r said:
So apparently the NFL wants to allow video to be viewed by coaches on the sidelines in addition to still images. The coaches, though, have rejected it. Their reason for not wanting it? It would make their job easier. Seriously.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2300 ... ines-games

Well there's more to it than just the fact that it makes their jobs easier. As it says in the article, it would take away the advantage a team has for having the coaching staff that is better at making in game adjustments on the fly. They believe if they have the video on the sideline, then the coaches who aren't as good at it will find it easier to make the proper adjustments, therefor eliminating the edge teams have with better coaches.

It kind of makes sense if you believe you are better at it than your peers, but half the coaches are worse than the other half, so it stands to reason it would make at least half the teams better at in game adjustments. Of course I'd be willing to bet that if you poll all 32 coaching staffs, at least 90% would say that they are on of the better staffs at in game adjustments. It's that belief that is keeping the system from being implemented.

In reality, I think that it would be a great tool to have for every team. Great coaches can find other ways to implement game plans to work against the video that the other coaches have just seen.

That rationale is idiotic. What will happen is that the coaches that are already good at adjustments will simply be even better at them and the cave men idiots who refuse to adapt will be shown for the frauds they are. These ponces figure themselves to be so good at what they do that anything that upsets that notion is shot down out of hand.

Not that I really want the Rams to win a few Superbowls but if Sean McVay can help usher out the old generation of ostritches, more power to him.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
kidhawk":1f82hzr7 said:
Of course I'd be willing to bet that if you poll all 32 coaching staffs, at least 90% would say that they are on of the better staffs at in game adjustments.

The same is true about people's opinion of their own ability to drive, and about parent's opinions of whether their kids are cute. It's like universal and stuff.

kidhawk

Reaction score
GeekHawk":26d2ef7s said:
kidhawk":26d2ef7s said:
Of course I'd be willing to bet that if you poll all 32 coaching staffs, at least 90% would say that they are on of the better staffs at in game adjustments.

The same is true about people's opinion of their own ability to drive, and about parent's opinions of whether their kids are cute. It's like universal and stuff.

Absolutely

IndyHawk

Reaction score
kidhawk":3ds0cmua said:
GeekHawk":3ds0cmua said:
kidhawk":3ds0cmua said:

Absolutely
But only some have stats backing that up..

kidhawk

Reaction score
IndyHawk":3cjadzzu said:
kidhawk":3cjadzzu said:
GeekHawk":3cjadzzu said:
kidhawk":3cjadzzu said:

Absolutely
But only some have stats backing that up..

Stats rarely figure into a person's opinion of self worth. It's a great tool for independent observers to judge them, but coaches aren't going to say "oh look, this guy has X stat better than me and Y stat better than me, so he is so much better than I am. Most will say great things about their opponent in front of the press, but they still feel that they are a top coach themselves.

It's also safe to say that in some people, they are probably better at things than they think they are, but that is not the mentality of an NFL head coach. These types must be extremely self confident, and those types rarely need stats to "know" they are better than most other coaches.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
I don't know I guess I like the old school style of competition. Just put some guy up in the booth and radio down what they are doing.

That said, I do like serious competition. It is inevitable. I just want passionate aggressive football. There was a time when teams sucked up all the fatties on the Oline and dominated. Then someone came up with, "two step drop passes to 5 Wrs 50 times a game score fast as possible.

Older I get you start to pick a time that you personally liked the game while everyone else is all for progression. Personally I do not even consider football "football" before the 40's" and that's even reaching. I just want good fundamental football no matter the rules.

At this point it is still enjoyable to watch, for now, despite my bitches.

I remember in the 80s my Grandfather still loving college and NBA basketball but he had a hard time transitioning to contemporary basketball. Was pissed all the time. "Fouling at the end of games was BS".

2013 was my favorite style of football. Not because I'm a homer but the way they played was so awesome. This is the time where I remember going to many other cities in the U.S wearing a Seahawks hat (sometime accused of bandwagoning) but in the end it seemed like many other NFL fans just liked how tough we were. ML killing, Russ running and passing and our D pulling testosterone from peoples souls.

We were the Conor McGregor of the NFL.