NFC West Rival Drafts

adeltaY

Reaction score
Looking at the NFC West:

Cards: https://www.nfl.com/draft/tracker/teams?team=ARI

Got a potential franchise QB and didn't give up much in the trade-up. Also got a couple OL, a CB late, and picked a WR in the second who is supposed to be good. Seems like a good draft, a lot will depend on if they can improve their OL. Rosen/DJ will be a killer combo if they do. They could be competitive as soon as this year.

Rams: https://www.nfl.com/draft/tracker/teams?team=LA

Didn't pick until the third and got a couple of OL there. Had tons of late picks, looks like depth players, which seemed like their main weakness on paper. We'll see how it turns out, but it doesn't seem like they made many changes to their starting roster with this draft (besides trading for Cooks).

Niners: https://www.nfl.com/draft/tracker/teams?team=SF

Took OT pretty high to replace Trent Brown, traded up to snag WR Pettis (sure Huskies fans are happy about that), got OLB and S in the third, rest seem like depth picks. Looks like they're just building out their roster and got the Saviour another weapon and some better (?) protection.

Who knows how it'll turn out, what are y'all thinking right now?

Overall, I thought Tampa and Indy had pretty great drafts. Any non-divisional team draft stand out?

rlkats

Reaction score
adeltaY":286exhl9 said:
Looking at the NFC West:

Got a potential franchise QB and didn't give up much in the trade-up. Also got a couple OL, a CB late, and picked a WR in the second who is supposed to be good. Seems like a good draft, a lot will depend on if they can improve their OL. Rosen/DJ will be a killer combo if they do. They could be competitive as soon as this year.

Didn't pick until the third and got a couple of OL there. Had tons of late picks, looks like depth players, which seemed like their main weakness on paper. We'll see how it turns out, but it doesn't seem like they made many changes to their starting roster with this draft (besides trading for Cooks).

Took OT pretty high to replace Trent Brown, traded up to snag WR Pettis (sure Huskies fans are happy about that), got OLB and S in the third, rest seem like depth picks. Looks like they're just building out their roster and got the Saviour another weapon and some better (?) protection.

Overall, I thought Tampa and Indy had pretty great drafts. Any non-divisional team draft stand out?

I would say I rate the draft

Cards- B+
Hawks- B
Rams- B
Niners - D. Not impressed

OP
OP
A

adeltaY

Reaction score
But harsh on your team there kats. Were there other holes you wanted addressed? Also what do you think about the Trent Brown trade. I recall early last season he was getting very high PFF grades so it seems like there was upside.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
adeltaY":ot0sdyag said:
Looking at the NFC West:

The Giants had a phenomenal draft.

rlkats

Reaction score
adeltaY":22hdmv6u said:
But harsh on your team there kats. Were there other holes you wanted addressed? Also what do you think about the Trent Brown trade. I recall early last season he was getting very high PFF grades so it seems like there was upside.

Trent Brown is a run game animal and good in the passing game. The issue with him is motivation and drive. He cane in to the off season at 400 lbs so it was reported. Lynch and Kyle I believe became over with his attitude. I think the kid we picked up in the 1st round will do well. As far as holes.

We picked up Achilles walking wounded (Sherman), how will he play?
We have dumped Our safety Reid
Our pass rush is a joke

So what do we do

Jump up to pick up a receiver/punt returner
Draft a DE that tore his ACL in April this year
Drafted a CB that tore his Achilles
Drafted a lightning fast safety that is going to be taught to be a corner
And then finally picked up a 7th round receiver.

The Niners need pass rush, oline, safety and CB depth. The Niners D was burned way to much on 3rd down last year. It almost looked like Balke was drafting again.

This is all just my opinion.

Smellyman

Reaction score
rlkats":2heqywa2 said:
adeltaY":2heqywa2 said:

Trent Brown is a run game animal and good in the passing game. The issue with him is motivation and drive. He cane in to the off season at 400 lbs so it was reported. Lynch and Kyle I believe became over with his attitude. I think the kid we picked up in the 1st round will do well. As far as holes.

Our pass rush is a joke

So what do we do

The Niners need pass rush, oline, safety and CB depth. The Niners D was burned way to much on 3rd down last year. It almost looked like Balke was drafting again.

yikes.

Lotta Lynch love in SF today?

SF49r

Reaction score
I thought we had a decent draft. Trent Brown was a bad scheme fit and a huge liability in the run game, Mcglinchey is a mauler in the run gonna be great for play action which Shanahan loves to do, love this pick. Dante Pettis was a head scratcher at first would have preferred Harold Landry but after seeing his highlights kinda intrigued to see what Shanahan would get out of him and Jimmy G throwing him the ball. The rest were depth picks addressed every position in the secondary, grabbed a prototypical corner, strong safety, free safety, and slot CB. Felt like we got steals in the 7th round, Julian Taylor DT was owning Quentin Nelson and Richie James is a fiesty prototypical Shanahan receiver. Only pick I hate was Street who tore his ACL a few weeks ago in the 4th, could have got him later but if, if he successfully rehabs I feel like he's going to be a monster big end. Overall give it a B-.
Alot of niner fans hate this draft just because we didn't get any flashy players, we grabbed scheme fits and prospects who were known for there high character and work ethic not sure how you can be mad at that. We did need an edge rusher though, that's the only thing I'm puzzled about since we didn't draft a single one. Marsh, Attaochu, Eli Harold, and Pita is an ugly group.

rlkats

Reaction score
Smellyman":f5f0bon8 said:
rlkats":f5f0bon8 said:
adeltaY":f5f0bon8 said:

Our pass rush is a joke

So what do we do

yikes.

Lotta Lynch love in SF today?

Hahaha let me note. I’m not even close to the NFL brain as Lynch or even the water boy. Haha this is my uneducated opinion

rlkats

Reaction score
SF49r":3ngnwc0b said:
I thought we had a decent draft. Trent Brown was a bad scheme fit and a huge liability in the run game, Mcglinchey is a mauler in the run gonna be great for play action which Shanahan loves to do, love this pick. Dante Pettis was a head scratcher at first would have preferred Harold Landry but after seeing his highlights kinda intrigued to see what Shanahan would get out of him and Jimmy G throwing him the ball. The rest were depth picks addressed every position in the secondary, grabbed a prototypical corner, strong safety, free safety, and slot CB. Felt like we got steals in the 7th round, Julian Taylor DT was owning Quentin Nelson and Richie James is a fiesty prototypical Shanahan receiver. Only pick I hate was Street who tore his ACL a few weeks ago in the 4th, could have got him later but if, if he successfully rehabs I feel like he's going to be a monster big end. Overall give it a B-.
Alot of niner fans hate this draft just because we didn't get any flashy players, we grabbed scheme fits and prospects who were known for there high character and work ethic not sure how you can be mad at that. We did need an edge rusher though, that's the only thing I'm puzzled about since we didn't draft a single one. Marsh, Attaochu, Eli Harold, and Pita is an ugly group.

Thanks for the opinion. I am admitted not very experienced with any of the draftees.

Marvin49

Reaction score
I'm not gonna lie...I went into the draft with a list of players I really liked and wanted the 49ers to draft and they didn't draft a single one of them.

The Seahawks took one of them in Penny, but I saw him as a possibility around the 59th pick over all as that was their second pick.

I like the McGlinchey pick as weight and motivation was always an issue with Trent no matter how good he was in spurts. I think the writing was on the wall when he reported to offseason conditioning out of shape and overweight. It sucks because there were so many other directions they could have gone with that 9th pick, but clearly they didn't trust brown to protect Jimmy G (and for the record, I don't think he did for even a single down last year) and they wanted a grinder who could improve the run game.

The rest? Who knows. Pettis? I kinda trust Kyle after seeing Taylor Gabriel, Trent Taylor and George Kittle. In addition they went after Marquise Goodwin and who saw THAT season coming.

Point being, for the time being I'll reserve all judgement on offensive signings/draft picks until they prove they can't play. Kyle is looking for something specific in each one of those guys and so far his record is pretty damn good.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Marvin49":2kg17u19 said:
I'm not gonna lie...I went into the draft with a list of players I really liked and wanted the 49ers to draft and they didn't draft a single one of them.

The Seahawks took one of them in Penny, but I saw him as a possibility around the 59th pick over all as that was their second pick.

I like the McGlinchey pick as weight and motivation was always an issue with Trent no matter how good he was in spurts. I think the writing was on the wall when he reported to offseason conditioning out of shape and overweight. It sucks because there were so many other directions they could have gone with that 9th pick, but clearly they didn't trust brown to protect Jimmy G (and for the record, I don't think he did for even a single down last year) and they wanted a grinder who could improve the run game.

The rest? Who knows. Pettis? I kinda trust Kyle after seeing Taylor Gabriel, Trent Taylor and George Kittle. In addition they went after Marquise Goodwin and who saw THAT season coming.

Point being, for the time being I'll reserve all judgement on offensive signings/draft picks until they prove they can't play. Kyle is looking for something specific in each one of those guys and so far his record is pretty damn good.
I think you guys did well with the McGlinch pick.

Saw everygame that Pettis played, the guy is deadly on punt returns with great vision and will run away from defenders as a receiver in the open field. At times has problems getting open but he had a noodle armed QB throwing to him. I think his biggest problem will be staying healthy. Could also use a little more upper body mass. Watch his tape if you haven’t, you’ll like it.

I loved him at the UW, and the Niners might have taken him a bit early but I have zero problems with teams taking guys a round early if they really like the player, as there are no guarentees he’ll be there when they pick next.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Was a little taken aback with the Rams first draft pick. Had obviously never heard of Noteboom. Was a little more surprised by the MSU C in the 4th round, doubling down on OL. It's awesome because we needed OL depth and this is the coaching staff both planning for the future while acknowledging how insanely lucky we were health wise on the OL last year.

But I wanted LB early and often. Loved the Kiser and Obo picks - getting those guys where we did is why so many have rated the Rams draft in the A/B range. Also liked that we picked some depth for the interior DL - Brockers will eventually be the odd man out IMO, so planning for that now is a good idea.

Most likely none of these guys will start, but the Rams linebackers are going to be the groups to watch.

The projected starters at ILB are Barron/Littleton - the draftees Kiser and Travin Howard will compete there with Littleton who has worked his way up from a phenomenal STer to potential starter. Also have Ramik Wilson and Bryce Hager there.

The OLB spots are much more uncertain - Matt Longacre was at one point leading the team in sacks, and eventually got hurt. He's a guy that will probably play on early downs. On the other side is Samson Ebukam, who we drafted in the 4th round last year - athletically a freak of nature. Play a little but not a ton last year. Ebukam and Longacre are the assumed starters right now, but a guy like Obo has a real chance to nab one of those spots - and even if he doesn't, he'll see some time rushing the passer for sure.

Overall I could not be happier, even though I wanted Griffin on the Rams.

Regarding the Cardinals - Rosen's career will officially start in week 2 after the Rams injure Bradford - so be on the lookout for that. NOTE: not saying I want the Rams to injure Sam, but Cardinals QBs can't survive a game against the Rams for some reason.

OP
OP
A

adeltaY

Reaction score
Yeah, didn't Palmer get injured twice and Stanton once against you guys?

Rosen's had a couple of concussions too.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
adeltaY":xr4yh4cm said:
Yeah, didn't Palmer get injured twice and Stanton once against you guys?

Rosen's had a couple of concussions too.

Yea. Kind of made sense under Fisher with his cheap shots, but last year the team played clean and both those guys still got hurt.

I'm looking forward to playing Bradford. From my perspective he basically stole from the team.

OP
OP
A

adeltaY

Reaction score
Lol Stanton got hurt this year as well against y'all? Wow. Bradford will probably be quaking a bit before those games.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":rlxoobwe said:
Marvin49":rlxoobwe said:

I think you guys did well with the McGlinch pick.

Saw everygame that Pettis played, the guy is deadly on punt returns with great vision and will run away from defenders as a receiver in the open field. At times has problems getting open but he had a noodle armed QB throwing to him. I think his biggest problem will be staying healthy. Could also use a little more upper body mass. Watch his tape if you haven’t, you’ll like it.

I loved him at the UW, and the Niners might have taken him a bit early but I have zero problems with teams taking guys a round early if they really like the player, as there are no guarentees he’ll be there when they pick next.

I didn't like the McGlinchey pick initially because I thought tackle was a rare strength on the team...but then I heard about their concern with Trent Brown. The guys I really wanted tho at 9 were Barkley (who was NEVER going to fall that far), Quentin Nelson (need a mini fall to get there) and Roquon Smith (who I thought would be there because I though all 4 QBs would be in the top 8 ).

Now that I know they didn't see Brown in their plans, I have no problem drafing a tackle...I'm just not sure I like taking a gguy at 9 just because he might be the best of a bad draft for Tackles. Doesn't really matter though...I felt similarly when the Niners traded away a future #1 pick to draft Joe Staley...and that worked out OK. :)

Pettis? I have nothing against him...just that he wasn't one of the guys I thought they'd move on. I should have though. Shanahan is a master of scheming guys into space and Pettis running in space is a really good situation.

Niners draft may be fantastic or it could suck...we all know we won't really know for a few years...but my initial reaction is just one of "hrmm". They just didn't approach the whole thing the way I thought they would, but who the hell am I? LOL.

We'll see how it plays out.