Matt Ryan has agreed to a 5 year extension

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/mortreport/status/992131254094123009[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/992131994044612608[/tweet]

Aiunahthar

Reaction score
OMG... this is getting absolutely ridiculous with QB salaries. 30mil/year with 100mil guaranteed...
Something or someone needs to step in and do something about these off the walls contracts. Otherwise pretty soon all you'll be able to afford is a QB. :!:
I'm seriously worried that we won't be able to afford Wilson next year when we go into negotiations... even if he takes another discount to try and stay competitive. :?
Also on top of this contract Aaron Rodgers still needs to sign his new deal which is gonna push that number even higher I bet... :pukeface:

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Welp. This year just became Wilson's last as a Seahawk.

I'm not sure how kidding I am.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Time to start using franchise tags for QB's, this is getting out of hand. 100 mil guaranteed? Ridiculous, for ANY player. And people freaked when Wilson got his deal. That's a bargain now.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
It's all a popularity contest. It's absurd. I can't see these contracts ever going down. They'll just get more and more expensive. And I think it's highly unlikely that the league will adjust the cap accordingly.

And I agree with the poster that said this could be close to the end of Wilson in Seattle. I just don't see how they can top that. Like I said, it's all a popularity contest. Unless it's a bottom barrel QB like Andy Dalton and friends, you're stuck with these prices.

OP
OP
KitsapGuy

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/IanWhetstone/status/992141968540041217[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/corryjoel/status/992143562115502081[/tweet]

IndyHawk

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1o6lw37c said:
Time to start using franchise tags for QB's, this is getting out of hand. 100 mil guaranteed? Ridiculous, for ANY player. And people freaked when Wilson got his deal. That's a bargain now.
I agree and this is what goes into my thoughts when I posted that RW$$ thread..When it comes to RW
with him being younger and signing a year later,I actually can see him trying to get more than the other 2 guys.
I don't think there will be any discount this time as his agent will probaly say "you already got that".
He already stated his goal is to own a team and he has been doing the celeb circuts so maybe Seattle
is getting too small for his overall earnings besides the football end?I don't know but say we extend Earl,
Duane,Frank and anyone else.Where is the fit for a massive QB contract?
I see a lot more downside because of that capwise .I blame the NFL for allowing it to get out of whack
as it hurts the fans when their team cannot afford to field a great team because unbalanced contracts.
I did post a while back in another thread that they need to Cap off every position starting with QB to
balance out this mess.

By the way on RW second contract which was a bargain.
We had a thread going on which was interesting ..I think SpinDoctor started that
but I don't think any of us saw it going the way it is today with QB's

James in PA

Reaction score
I remember the good old days when we were paying Wilson peanuts and we were able to load up elsewhere. Now teams like Philly and the Rams are following our blueprint. They’ll find out the hard way when it’s time to pay their QBs. If the Hawks really struggle next season, I wonder if they’ll move on from Wilson and try this formula all over again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
This is actually great for the NFL, though not tremendously great for us.

The NFL was becoming a league where if you did not have an elite QB, you really didn't get much shot at doing anything worthwhile in the playoffs.

And every year people hoped to get that Elite QB, but only 1 of 3 or 5 would turn into anything resembling one.

Which meant a lot of teams that were good, were faced with the reality that their only path to a SB was to become terrible and HOPE they got the 1 in 3 draw for a great QB right. Because there was no way to be successful without one.

Now, if you have a great QB - you probably cannot afford to have a bunch of other great players at other positions. So soon you have to start making choices as to how you want to win, with a great QB and thinner defense, or a great defense and lesser QB. Or you can hope you draft really well to offset the holes in the roster created when you great players leave to get paid elsewhere.

It prevents the teams with Elite QB from having a loaded roster and prevents teams with great rosters from having no chance because their QB isn't Elite.

adeltaY

Reaction score
What is the cap%? The dollar value doesn't matter as much as how much of the team's cap space these contracts are taking up. I did a few quick calculations.

Overthecap projects $190M in cap space in 2019, which might be high so let's say $187M to be safe ($10M increase from 2018). If Ryan's cap hit is near to his APY (which I bet it isn't, but let's just say), then his cap% is 16%. You can compare this to whatever cap% (not counting roll-over cap space) you want for next year to see what top paid QBs are currently making. Andrew Luck is getting 13.8% of the total possible 2018 space. By cap hit, Russell Wilson's % next year is 13.4%. Rodgers is 11.6% and should be getting the next extension. Ryan's cap% was 12.2% before the extension. So, Ryan's cap% increase will be 3.8%. If Rodgers gets $33M APY, his cap hit will increase by 6% to 17.6%. Now, I'd imagine for both of them, the teams will backload the contracts so their cap hits increase with the salary cap. The CBA re-negotiations could really mess with these calculations too.

Look, I'm know little about the inner workings of the salary cap, and even 4-6% increases for such a large salary cap is a lot of money, but I don't think it's as bad as people are making it out to be. I'd gladly have the team eat that cost to keep Wilson. I also agree with Twisted's point that it evens the playing field. One thing is true though, whether it's a rookie or a veteran, you must have at least good QB play to win an SB unless you're fielding a 2000 Ravens or 2015 Broncos level defense. For teams paying these huge QB salaries, the draft becomes extremely important.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Garoppolo looking better with every QB contract.

original poster

Reaction score
I'm really not as worried as some with regards to how QB contracts are heading. I used to be somewhat concerned, but having had time to think about it I'm not particularly worried.

The renewal of the CBA is going to be very interesting indeed.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Marvin49":5wb4tb5g said:
Garoppolo looking better with every QB contract.
Not really all the players recently reupped have proven themselves and been consistent over time. Now niner fans can dress it up however they want but they gave a monster contract to a dude with 12 tds and 7 ints.

Trrrroy

Reaction score
I'm curious if this will lead to more Kirk Cousin's situations where teams start letting non-elite QB's walk rather than pay them a huge salary. Five years ago there is no way a QB of Cousins caliber hits FA. Of course guys like Brady, Brees, and Rodgers will always get paid, but would Dalton still be a Bengal if salaries were like this during his last contract? Instead of the Andy Dalton line which used to be the standard of whether to sign a qb long term, is it now the Matt Stafford line?

Popeyejones

Reaction score
original poster":bww6g20v said:
I'm really not as worried as some with regards to how QB contracts are heading. I used to be somewhat concerned, but having had time to think about it I'm not particularly worried.

The renewal of the CBA is going to be very interesting indeed.

Yep. Two things causing this:

1) With the cap rising by about 10 million a year contracts are just gonna go up. People forget all the sticker shock that happened every year until 2010 or so (back when the cap was going up like this), and use the early and mid 2k10s as their frame of reference (when the cap was basically flat and they were stealing from the pension fund to keep it from going down).

2) The rookie wage scale was supposed to more equitably distribute more money to more veteran players, but that hasn't really happened. Instead, all that extra cash is just going to superstars (e.g. Von Miller) and QBs.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
QB's aren't disposable when they are still producing at an elite level. This means that you have to pay them the big money if you want to stay competitive. You can replace almost anyone else on the roster and still win games, to include the SB.

No matter how much one hates the Cheatriots, they still do this on a consistent basis under Belichick. Which is why I can't wait until the hooded one finally either retires, or dies. NE will become obsolete again once this happens.