Richard Sherman = Nnamdi Asomugha?

drrew

Reaction score
Sherman was elite for a lot longer than Nnamdi was (who I love as he went to my HS), but I think their absolute peaks are similar.

Nnamdi got exposed moving to a different system, we'll see what happens with Sherman.

chris98251

Reaction score
drrew":25nu6kj5 said:
Sherman was elite for a lot longer than Nnamdi was (who I love as he went to my HS), but I think their absolute peaks are similar.

Nnamdi got exposed moving to a different system, we'll see what happens with Sherman.

They use our system.

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
I think Sherman was a lot better when healthy. Who knows what he will be now that he is older and has had some injuries?

Seafan

Reaction score
Achilles is a tough injury to overcome. These days ACLs are actually easier.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Seafan":u5hbzu1e said:
Achilles is a tough injury to overcome. These days ACLs are actually easier.

Add on the fact that his home games will be played on grass.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
The issue with Sherman is that he was never an exceptional athlete, so he might not have much wiggle room as his athleticism naturally declines with age.

FWIW I think it was last offseason in which I suggested that I thought his agility and change-of-direction might be starting to decline, and that I thought it could be showing up on tape a little bit as teams started attacking him more on the types of short routes that already tend to be open in a cover 3 scheme (they just weren't ever open with Sherman before because he's so good).

The achilles is key in change of direction (and quick change of direction is often what causes an achilles tear to begin with), which means even if some people we're seeing ghosts in noting his declining in change of direction, it's definitely something to watch out for now.

To be clear I still think it's kinda nutty that the Seahawks cut him and given the contract and where the 9ers are in their cap development I'm ecstatic he's on the 9ers now, but there's ABSOLUTELY a risk here which can't be ignored.

The measuring stick here, however, is that he's getting paid as the 18th best non-rookie contract CB in the NFL right now.
He doesn't need to come out and be a Top 3 CB in the NFL this year. He's not getting paid that way. The 9ers are rolling the dice that he'll be better than the 19h best non-rookie cornerback in the NFL, so a fair amount of decline for him is already built into the projection.

AKNFidel

Reaction score
I’ve always wondered about Sherman’s abilities minus Kam and Earl behind him, I guess we’ll see how he performs without 2 outstanding Safeties behind him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Not trying to sound like Sour Grapes, but I think he's going to awful in Santa Clara, at least compared to what we have seen from him. Never was a fast guy, and I see him getting beat a lot this year, especially coming off the injury.
But, he'll tell everyone it isn't his fault :lol:

2_0_6

Reaction score
I really hope he does well down there and makes a full recovery. This way the Niner fans cant say anything about being injured when ADB torches him.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
I sincerely hope Sherman recovers from the injuries/surgeries, but I have a hard time seeing him get back to the level of play he was known for in Seattle. He was never a plus or even average athlete, so it's going to be an uphill battle getting right and having the same presence on the field.

I'll be honest, I didn't have hard feelings or find Sherm THAT annoying until he left. Yes, the situation with him making embarrassing comments towards a journalist was a bad look, among other things, but now him and Bennett can kick rocks for all I care. They've got the vibrato and they'll talk out their neck when they think they're in the right or they're impervious, but they're mentally soft and their butthurt comments after being shown the door have displayed that.

Not to tie this back to the corpse of a horse, but it's pretty clear that the guys we all thought the team was leaning on for leadership could never truly let 49 go.

xkj1985x

Reaction score
Nnamdi was the best man to man cover guy in the game when he signed with the Eagles. The Eagles brought him over into their defensive dysfunction and asked him to play in a zone scheme (primarily) and he just couldn't and for whatever reason, the Eagles refused to adapt to him despite giving him the contract they did after seeing what he excelled at.

Marvin49

Reaction score
I guess I look at this a bit differently.

Since he never relied on A+ athleticism and a lot of his game was smarts, I tend to think he might be less in danger of physical decline. He's a physical, zone coverage defender and that's EXACTLY what he'll be asked to be again.

I'm not expecting Sherman in his prime, but my guess is he'll be a solid corner.

As for what another poster said about not having great safeties in SF now...

...I'm not going to say they are anything close to Thomas and Chancellor, but don't sleep on Adrian Colbert and Jaquiski Tartt. :D

SF49r

Reaction score
Yeah Tartt and Colbert actually played very well last season, Colbert surprisingly since he was a 7th round pick corner converted to free safety. Has the range to play single high safety and hes a ball hawk similar skills to Earl Thomas, obviously not the same player though but he fits that single high free safety perfectly. Even if Sherman never sees the field, hes still good to have around to mentor the players around him who are similar skill set and playing in the exact same scheme.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
chris98251":1eskb3mu said:
drrew":1eskb3mu said:

They use our system.

They don't have Earl Thomas. They can use the system, they don't have the type of players the Seahawks do to execute it. It'll be interesting to see how not having Thomas back there anymore impacts Sherman. If you look it his work objectively, Sherman does get beat quite a bit. He's successful with the "bigger" type of receivers like Bryant, etc but it's the small TY Hilton types that burn him.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
hawkfan68":3ek0ngy6 said:
If you look it his work objectively, Sherman does get beat quite a bit.

:?: :?:

All of the objective looks at his work say the exact opposite.

Other stuff:

1) Worth considering is that Sherman was *perfect* for the Seahawks scheme circa 2012-13. Even the Seahawks have radically departed from that scheme, both because teams have gotten better at attacking it over time (which means more man coverage), and because the NFL nerfed it by starting to enforce the 5 yard contact rule (which means playing off instead of bump when in cover 3). Long story short, the scheme that Sherman MOST excelled in isn't as viable as it was even when he was at his peak.

2) I think Thomas is overall a better player than Sherman, but people are over-attributing Sherman's talent to Thomas. For years Thomas could shade to the other side in his deep 3rd and make a very mediocre cast of CBs on the other side look better than they are because Sherman could be left to his island on his 3rd (we know all these guys aren't nearly as good as we thought they were b/c (1) the Hawks kept on letting them walk and (2) they kept on flaming out the instant they did walk). In that scheme the true challenge of of Thomas' job is not getting split between the two seams, and he's exceptional because not only can he do that, but he's also fast and reactive enough to help out over the top on the other two-thirds. Sherman didn't need this help, though, which is what allowed Thomas to shade a couple steps, and really only be responsible from the left seam through the right sideline.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":233ifwrn said:
Can't wait to see Baldwin torch him :lol:

9ers fans are all into "Can't wait til he picks off Wilson and tell's him 'you suck!' again." :lol:

It will be fun to see what happens, but even more fun IMO will be the week leading up to it, and the chance of this re-instituting that brief rivalry b/n the 9ers and Hawks a little bit again. :2thumbs: