NFL Changes wishlist

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Just for fun, here's my top two. Add on.

1) Turn the Spring League into an actual developmental league that runs from the beginning of May to Mid-July when TC opens. This window is the true dead zone of the NFL calendar. There are 90 man rosters on which 40% of people won't make the team, and who are sitting around doing nothing for months. If you really want to go for it you can up the roster limit from 90 to 106 and each team can have a FULL "B-team" for Spring League which will bring in more fans as people will be rooting for actual players on their actual favorite teams. You can keep the same team names, make money on creative riffs on the uniforms, and use this league to experiment with rules changes. Teams also get to see a lot more of guys who too often end up being just "bodies" due to excessive restrictions on practice time, which leads to the next change on my wishlist.

2) Revise the CBA to allow for double or triple the amount of practice time allowed. You can keep hitting at the sa
me level, but under the new CBA player development is suffering. It's hurting QBs and offensive line play the most. NFL players get paid enough to be asked to practice in organized team activities more. The quality of the sport is suffering.

purpleneer

Reaction score
Popeyejones":qepm2wpi said:
Just for fun, here's my top two. Add on.

1) Turn the Spring League into an actual developmental league that runs from the beginning of May to Mid-July when TC opens. This window is the true dead zone of the NFL calendar. There are 90 man rosters on which 40% of people won't make the team, and who are sitting around doing nothing for months. If you really want to go for it you can up the roster limit from 90 to 106 and each team can have a FULL "B-team" for Spring League which will bring in more fans as people will be rooting for actual players on their actual favorite teams. You can keep the same team names, make money on creative riffs on the uniforms, and use this league to experiment with rules changes. Teams also get to see a lot more of guys who too often end up being just "bodies" due to excessive restrictions on practice time, which leads to the next change on my wishlist.

2) Revise the CBA to allow for double or triple the amount of practice time allowed. You can keep hitting at the sa
me level, but under the new CBA player development is suffering. It's hurting QBs and offensive line play the most. NFL players get paid enough to be asked to practice in organized team activities more. The quality of the sport is suffering.
I like it, except I think a more modest increase in practice time along with expanding the rosters would be better. QB and OL just need the spots and the chance to stay with the same team while they develop.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I like #1 not sure about #2.

Mine:
The NFL has a huge officiating problem IMHO.

My suggestion would be to extremely streamline and simplify the rule book, which would hopefully lead to better and more consistent officiating.

Take more of the game out of zebras hands . Call the obvious fouls and stop with the game changing ticky tack calls.
If it’s an obvious infraction by all means throw a flag, if you “think” you “may” have seen an infraction don’t throw a flag.

Let em play!

No more vague “player needs to make a football move” type crap.

Games need to be decided by the 2 teams on the field NOT via the penalty flag.

My number 2 would be to make coaches challenges more powerful so you can challenge any penalty.

I remember Shaq last year getting Flagged for DPI twice last year and he didn’t even make contact with the receiver. If those penalty’s were able to be challanged they would have been reversed.

There was also a play where Coleman got flagged for DPI against Beasley in Dallas where Beasley clearly committed OPI as he had both hands on Coleman’s helmet, and the announcer (think it was Aikman) said that should have been OPI.

Coaches should have the right to challenge penalty’s if they have challanges left, and as long as you keep winning challanges you shouldn’t lose any.

chris98251

Reaction score
Get rid of replay, yes there will be some mistakes but officials won't be as worried about grades and making a mistaken call if they are not microscoped to death for everything. With all the replays now they still get it wrong a lot, therefore replay isn't what they thought it would be in the first place.

It would also make games smoother to watch.

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
Can we start with the league STOP trying to change rules every single year to make the game less physical and so you can't play defense at all. Part of the game is defense. Lets start with that and work our way down from there. Can the league just STOP trying to mess with the game on a continual basis for the last 15 years? The game was fine the way it was. This isn't even the NFL anymore.

Crizilla

Reaction score
1. move kick off line back to the 25
2. shorten pre season from 4 games to 3 games
3. simplify the catch rule
4. get rid of that stupid helmet/jersey rule so teams can actually wear their throwbacks once or twice a year

DJrmb

Reaction score
Stop changing rules and pretending to care about player safety and just have players sign a waiver with each contract they sign to play in the NFL.

Get rid of inactives on game days. All 53 men are eligible to play.

Hire a full time 3rd party company that's sole purpose is to train the refs to call things the same league wide and who has advanced analytics (that is available for the fans to see) to gauge performance and any bias in reffing and fix it or if necessary penalize those officials.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
DJrmb":czibclcb said:
Stop changing rules and pretending to care about player safety and just have players sign a waiver with each contract they sign to play in the NFL.

Hire a full time 3rd party company that's sole purpose is to train the refs to call things the same league wide and who has advanced analytics (that is available for the fans to see) to gauge performance and any bias in reffing and fix it or if necessary penalize those officials.
Absolutely have all 53 available. It’s stupid that they don’t.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2q7b9xkt said:
DJrmb":2q7b9xkt said:

I believe the reason behind that is to make it more fair for teams with more injured players. If everyone on the roster was active, the team with fewer injuries would have an advantage in terms of how many players could play in the game.

chris98251

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":iwjq1rua said:
DJrmb":iwjq1rua said:

Well concidering they also have 10 on the practice squad the injury excuse is moot really, with more games there is more attrition anyway, having an expanded roster would be helpful for those that get dings so they could heal and not become a season casualty also.

purpleneer

Reaction score
chris98251":37jbbqjt said:
Sports Hernia":37jbbqjt said:
DJrmb":37jbbqjt said:

Well concidering they also have 10 on the practice squad the injury excuse is moot really, with more games there is more attrition anyway, having an expanded roster would be helpful for those that get dings so they could heal and not become a season casualty also.
The practice squad does nothing to take away the reason for inactive players on the roster. Just too much difference if a team loses more roster-level players than their opponent and teams would have to decide between playing shorthanded or risk losing a player. Healthy inactives is way easier than pretend injuries. The active roster is what we should think of on the question of how many on a team; anything under 50 is woefully insufficient, and getting more so with practice restrictions and growth of health knowledge.

zchurch74

Reaction score
Get rid of the face mask. Sounds crazy but that will make the game safer. Guys will reall have to think hot to hit or tackle a guy. If a guy targets the opponents head it’s automatic ejection and 4 game suspension.

Kick off at the 35. If u make a field goal it’s a point.

Any 60+ field goal is 4 points.

Move extra point to a 45 yard field goal.

Last and should be first, Fire Aikmen!

purpleneer

Reaction score
zchurch74":5yrl9x7x said:
Get rid of the face mask. Sounds crazy but that will make the game safer. Guys will reall have to think hot to hit or tackle a guy. !
Absolutely an issue that the helmet is used as a weapon or at least an aggressive shield. No way should it be common for a ball-carrier to use his head to protect the ball. The equipment change I'd like to see is getting rid of the hard outer shell on the shoulder pads.