Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Cassius Marsh hated being with Pats

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Cassius Marsh hated being with Pats
Mon May 28, 2018 10:44 am
  • :lol:

    The Patriots acquired Marsh from the Seattle Seahawks for fifth- and seventh-round picks last September but then waived him in November. Marsh told the Chronicle that he asked to be cut after the Patriots were using him as a "coverage" linebacker instead of having him rush the passer.

    "I confronted (Patriots coach Bill Belichick) about all the things that were going on," Marsh told the paper. "I won't get into detail, but it was B.S. things they were doing. I just wasn't a fan. And so I, basically, without asking to get cut, I kind of asked to get cut. ... I had confidence that I would have an opportunity elsewhere and I would take advantage of it."

    http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2363 ... -fun-there


    No idea why Belichick was foolish enough to use Marsh in that way. He was awful in coverage.
    User avatar
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2245
    Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:04 pm


Re: Cassius Marsh hated being with Pats
Mon May 28, 2018 11:01 am
  • Image
    In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    User avatar
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *
     
    Posts: 5009
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:09 pm
    Location: Kitsap County


Re: Cassius Marsh hated being with Pats
Mon May 28, 2018 11:13 am
  • That's the traditional NFL. Carroll's philosophy is the exception to the rule.
    User avatar
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2245
    Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:04 pm


Re: Cassius Marsh hated being with Pats
Mon May 28, 2018 1:31 pm
  • It is not fun but it is effective.
    User avatar
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2057
    Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:54 am


Re: Cassius Marsh hated being with Pats
Mon May 28, 2018 1:32 pm
  • hawknation2018 wrote::lol:

    The Patriots acquired Marsh from the Seattle Seahawks for fifth- and seventh-round picks last September but then waived him in November. Marsh told the Chronicle that he asked to be cut after the Patriots were using him as a "coverage" linebacker instead of having him rush the passer.

    "I confronted (Patriots coach Bill Belichick) about all the things that were going on," Marsh told the paper. "I won't get into detail, but it was B.S. things they were doing. I just wasn't a fan. And so I, basically, without asking to get cut, I kind of asked to get cut. ... I had confidence that I would have an opportunity elsewhere and I would take advantage of it."

    http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2363 ... -fun-there


    No idea why Belichick was foolish enough to use Marsh in that way. He was awful in coverage.


    No idea why Bellicheat was foolish enough to trade for him....
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions 2014.02.02 Seahawks 43 Broncos 8
    User avatar
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5997
    Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:20 am
    Location: BC Canada


Re: Cassius Marsh hated being with Pats
Mon May 28, 2018 2:39 pm
  • When Marsh was drafted in 2014, Dan Quinn was still Seattle’s DC and one who backed Marsh’s talent, but Quinn left to become the Atlanta Falcons head coach. While Marsh did say that he enjoyed the culture of the Seahawks organization, but feels like then-defensive coordinator Kris Richard held him back from earning more opportunities to contribute on Seattle’s defensive line.

    “I was kind of left with a coach who it was almost like he was almost fighting to keep me off the field,” Marsh said. “I had to really fight and scratch and claw for any opportunities I had.


    While I don't expect expect anyone to replace Coach Dan Quinn, I am happy to see someone connected to the front seven at defensive coordinator to balance Coach Pete Carroll's defensive backfield history.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *
     
    Posts: 7857
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:49 pm


Re: Cassius Marsh hated being with Pats
Mon May 28, 2018 5:02 pm
  • Cyrus12 wrote:
    hawknation2018 wrote::lol:

    The Patriots acquired Marsh from the Seattle Seahawks for fifth- and seventh-round picks last September but then waived him in November. Marsh told the Chronicle that he asked to be cut after the Patriots were using him as a "coverage" linebacker instead of having him rush the passer.

    "I confronted (Patriots coach Bill Belichick) about all the things that were going on," Marsh told the paper. "I won't get into detail, but it was B.S. things they were doing. I just wasn't a fan. And so I, basically, without asking to get cut, I kind of asked to get cut. ... I had confidence that I would have an opportunity elsewhere and I would take advantage of it."

    http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2363 ... -fun-there


    No idea why Belichick was foolish enough to use Marsh in that way. He was awful in coverage.


    No idea why Bellicheat was foolish enough to trade for him....


    Exactly. Some of the things Belicheat does is quite puzzling. I'm happy he took Marsh off the Seahawks because he probably would have been cut. So they received something for a player that didn't have any value to begin with.

    Maybe if Marsh had shown that he was a good pass rusher, he would have been used that way and probably would still be a Seahawk. Seems like a bitter dude who likes to blame circumstances and others rather than look at his own self.
    User avatar
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7257
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:10 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: Cassius Marsh hated being with Pats
Tue May 29, 2018 7:59 am
  • Yeah. Marsh had chances in Seattle and didn't take advantage. Marsh and Coleman are a couple examples that people ignore in those regular assertions that BB wins every trade. Patriot defenses have overachieved based heavily on how inflexible other teams are, but it's been awhile since they truly had a very goo defense.
    purpleneer
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 322
    Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:19 pm
    Location: The Green Lantern (almost)


Re: Cassius Marsh hated being with Pats
Thu May 31, 2018 7:36 am
  • Playing for 3 teams in one year indicates to me the guy is seen as having talent and just in need of the right situation.
    NINEster
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1620
    Joined: Sat May 19, 2012 7:06 pm


Re: Cassius Marsh hated being with Pats
Thu May 31, 2018 9:58 am
  • NINEster wrote:Playing for 3 teams in one year indicates to me the guy is seen as having talent and just in need of the right situation.


    He's been in two of the best situations in the NFL, working with two of the best defensive minds in the NFL. I don't think situation has been his issue. I don't think coaches believe that either. Especially the 49ers, who signed him to play in a system he already was mediocre in.
    Last edited by Trrrroy on Thu May 31, 2018 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
    I hate Tim Ruskell.
    User avatar
    Trrrroy
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3224
    Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:24 am


Re: Cassius Marsh hated being with Pats
Thu May 31, 2018 10:19 am
  • Obviously I hope he becomes a good player but at this point I'm not exactly sold he'll be an answer at pass rusher.

    I could see it if he was saying he was miscast in NE and only needed another chance (IE SF was his second stop), but in SF he'd be playing the exact same position as in Seattle...who got rid of him.

    We'll see what happens but I don't have high expectations. Rotational guy in my mind and a guy to replace when you get a better one.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6087
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:34 pm


Re: Cassius Marsh hated being with Pats
Thu May 31, 2018 11:04 am
  • What a massive whiner.
    User avatar
    Coug_Hawk08
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4318
    Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:26 am


Re: Cassius Marsh hated being with Pats
Thu May 31, 2018 2:25 pm
  • Coug_Hawk08 wrote:What a massive whiner.


    He's playing for the correct team now. :D
    User avatar
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2245
    Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:04 pm


Re: Cassius Marsh hated being with Pats
Thu May 31, 2018 2:53 pm
  • What has Marsh ever done in the NFL? exactly........
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    User avatar
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 9995
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: Cassius Marsh hated being with Pats
Thu May 31, 2018 2:56 pm
  • Going from Surf Board University to the Seahawks he has had a pretty relaxed environment, going to the Pats with a East coast mentality and a Brady / Belichick leadership so to speak may have been a complete culture shock, they are much more cut throat and all about business compared to our we have a business but fun also, Crank up the toons and practice to hits of the 70's today atmosphere. He should have hung out with Gronk a lot more if he wanted fun.
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 24725
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: Cassius Marsh hated being with Pats
Thu May 31, 2018 4:42 pm
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:What has Marsh ever done in the NFL? exactly........


    Well, he was great at racking up late hit and roughing the passer penalties.
    User avatar
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7257
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:10 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: Cassius Marsh hated being with Pats
Thu May 31, 2018 8:05 pm
  • Trrrroy wrote:
    NINEster wrote:Playing for 3 teams in one year indicates to me the guy is seen as having talent and just in need of the right situation.


    He's been in two of the best situations in the NFL, working with two of the best defensive minds in the NFL. I don't think situation has been his issue. I don't think coaches believe that either. Especially the 49ers, who signed him to play in a system he already was mediocre in.


    Just because Avril, Bennett, and Clark are ahead of you doesn't mean you're mediocre.

    And if NE was using him as a coverage LB, then that's on them....

    Hopeful COMP:

    2015 Aaron Lynch
    NINEster
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1620
    Joined: Sat May 19, 2012 7:06 pm


Re: Cassius Marsh hated being with Pats
Thu May 31, 2018 8:23 pm
  • NINEster wrote:
    Trrrroy wrote:
    NINEster wrote:Playing for 3 teams in one year indicates to me the guy is seen as having talent and just in need of the right situation.


    He's been in two of the best situations in the NFL, working with two of the best defensive minds in the NFL. I don't think situation has been his issue. I don't think coaches believe that either. Especially the 49ers, who signed him to play in a system he already was mediocre in.


    Just because Avril, Bennett, and Clark are ahead of you doesn't mean you're mediocre.

    And if NE was using him as a coverage LB, then that's on them....

    Hopeful COMP:

    2015 Aaron Lynch

    Nope. Marsh is a role player/special teams player at best and I think that may be a bit generous. Just because he’s wearin’ your favorite color of laundry doesn’t make him good. Honestly was never impressed with him here in Seattle, seriously underwhelming play and he had the knack for boneheaded penalty’s at the wrong time, but hey.... if you think he’s good, don’t let me rain on your parade.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

    May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

    I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 23636
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:36 pm
    Location: The pit


Re: Cassius Marsh hated being with Pats
Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:20 am
  • The full interview transcript that this came from was released yesterday: https://www.sfgate.com/49ers/article/Th ... 958456.php

    Reading the tea leaves it sounds like he was mostly pissed off that the Patriots asked him to do things that weren't just rushing the passer. Belichick is a jerk, and dropping into coverage sometimes isn't "fun" or something.

    He also goes back and forth on taking jabs at the Seahawks (saying he liked it there, but didn't think he got enough opportunity), and says that he thinks if he gets his shot he can be a hall of famer.

    Basically the guy just sounds entitled and delusional. I'm rooting for him to break out and actually contribute because he's now on the team I root for, but he comes off like kind of a tool.
    User avatar
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4845
    Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:58 am


Re: Cassius Marsh hated being with Pats
Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:35 am
  • You never really know when a players career might take off so I won't say he won't be a decent player...

    ...but I will say I haven't seen anything up to date that would lead me to believe he's about to make a big jump.

    I would tend to believe he'll remain the same player he's been which is a situational pass rusher and one of those guys you look to upgrade from next offseason.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6087
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:34 pm


Re: Cassius Marsh hated being with Pats
Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:45 pm
  • Most great players force opportunity to happen because they are great. When a chance come to play they stand out and make the Coaches have to let them stay on the field because of their play.
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 24725
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: Cassius Marsh hated being with Pats
Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:06 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:Most great players force opportunity to happen because they are great. When a chance come to play they stand out and make the Coaches have to let them stay on the field because of their play.

    Yep, take the choice out of the coaches hands by stellar play on the field. Unfortunately, sometimes some coaches are the last to recongnize talent of said individuals. Some coaches are “size queens” and you see them go with size over talent or athleticism due to “conventional thinking” or other biases (see a player’s reputation) over a more talented but maybe smaller in stature player.

    You see it all of the time in highschool sports, even baseball. If said player keeps playing at a high level The coaches usually figure it out but sometimes it takes half a season to do so.

    Call me crazy but I’d take athleticism and high sports IQ over size any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

    Many coaches missed on Jose Altuve and Russell Wilson, 2 of the best at their sports.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

    May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

    I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 23636
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:36 pm
    Location: The pit


Re: Cassius Marsh hated being with Pats
Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:49 am
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:Most great players force opportunity to happen because they are great. When a chance come to play they stand out and make the Coaches have to let them stay on the field because of their play.

    Yep, take the choice out of the coaches hands by stellar play on the field. Unfortunately, sometimes some coaches are the last to recongnize talent of said individuals. Some coaches are “size queens” and you see them go with size over talent or athleticism due to “conventional thinking” or other biases (see a player’s reputation) over a more talented but maybe smaller in stature player.

    You see it all of the time in highschool sports, even baseball. If said player keeps playing at a high level The coaches usually figure it out but sometimes it takes half a season to do so.

    Call me crazy but I’d take athleticism and high sports IQ over size any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

    Many coaches missed on Jose Altuve and Russell Wilson, 2 of the best at their sports.

    I agree with you but I don't think the coaches have a chance to recognize so they look at college ball as the players opportunity. In today's NFL it's 'win now, cuz if you haven't shown it yet I don't have time to sit around and wait for it'.
    ~ HOLY CATFISH ~
    User avatar
    MD5eahawks
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 731
    Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:10 pm
    Location: Baltimore, Maryland


Re: Cassius Marsh hated being with Pats
Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:14 pm
  • hawkfan68 wrote:
    SoulfishHawk wrote:What has Marsh ever done in the NFL? exactly........


    Well, he was great at racking up late hit and roughing the passer penalties.


    Haha beat me to it. That 2016 game @LA sticks out to me. He honestly had some bad luck where his fingers went in Keenum's facemask as he made the sack, but I'm sure he could've avoided it.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3281
    Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:22 pm
    Location: Portland, OR


Re: Cassius Marsh hated being with Pats
Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:57 am
  • NINEster wrote:Playing for 3 teams in one year indicates to me the guy is seen as having talent and just in need of the right situation.

    Or could be that he likes to travel and is a journeyman at heart.
    Russ Willstrong
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1578
    Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:31 am


Re: Cassius Marsh hated being with Pats
Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:39 am
  • Trrrroy wrote:
    NINEster wrote:Playing for 3 teams in one year indicates to me the guy is seen as having talent and just in need of the right situation.


    He's been in two of the best situations in the NFL, working with two of the best defensive minds in the NFL. I don't think situation has been his issue. I don't think coaches believe that either. Especially the 49ers, who signed him to play in a system he already was mediocre in.

    They did that because they didn't have anything remotely close to a Leo on the roster, and he was available. They added Attaochu, and are going to give Eli Harold a chance to play on the end during nickle situations, but basically, all their pass rushers were interior pass rushers, so they took a flier on him.

    And, unsurprisingly, he did pretty good compared to the garbage they had at the position at the time.
    User avatar
    5_Golden_Rings
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1311
    Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:38 am


Re: Cassius Marsh hated being with Pats
Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:59 am

Re: Cassius Marsh hated being with Pats
Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:22 pm



It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:20 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]




Information
  • Who is online
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 48 guests