Cassius Marsh hated being with Pats

hawknation2018

Reaction score
:lol:

The Patriots acquired Marsh from the Seattle Seahawks for fifth- and seventh-round picks last September but then waived him in November. Marsh told the Chronicle that he asked to be cut after the Patriots were using him as a "coverage" linebacker instead of having him rush the passer.

"I confronted (Patriots coach Bill Belichick) about all the things that were going on," Marsh told the paper. "I won't get into detail, but it was B.S. things they were doing. I just wasn't a fan. And so I, basically, without asking to get cut, I kind of asked to get cut. ... I had confidence that I would have an opportunity elsewhere and I would take advantage of it."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2363 ... -fun-there

No idea why Belichick was foolish enough to use Marsh in that way. He was awful in coverage.

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
That's the traditional NFL. Carroll's philosophy is the exception to the rule.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
hawknation2018":2e9qe2g7 said:

The Patriots acquired Marsh from the Seattle Seahawks for fifth- and seventh-round picks last September but then waived him in November. Marsh told the Chronicle that he asked to be cut after the Patriots were using him as a "coverage" linebacker instead of having him rush the passer.

"I confronted (Patriots coach Bill Belichick) about all the things that were going on," Marsh told the paper. "I won't get into detail, but it was B.S. things they were doing. I just wasn't a fan. And so I, basically, without asking to get cut, I kind of asked to get cut. ... I had confidence that I would have an opportunity elsewhere and I would take advantage of it."

No idea why Belichick was foolish enough to use Marsh in that way. He was awful in coverage.

No idea why Bellicheat was foolish enough to trade for him....

Jville

Reaction score
When Marsh was drafted in 2014, Dan Quinn was still Seattle’s DC and one who backed Marsh’s talent, but Quinn left to become the Atlanta Falcons head coach. While Marsh did say that he enjoyed the culture of the Seahawks organization, but feels like then-defensive coordinator Kris Richard held him back from earning more opportunities to contribute on Seattle’s defensive line.

“I was kind of left with a coach who it was almost like he was almost fighting to keep me off the field,” Marsh said. “I had to really fight and scratch and claw for any opportunities I had.

While I don't expect expect anyone to replace Coach Dan Quinn, I am happy to see someone connected to the front seven at defensive coordinator to balance Coach Pete Carroll's defensive backfield history.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Cyrus12":2128wed6 said:
hawknation2018":2128wed6 said:

No idea why Bellicheat was foolish enough to trade for him....

Exactly. Some of the things Belicheat does is quite puzzling. I'm happy he took Marsh off the Seahawks because he probably would have been cut. So they received something for a player that didn't have any value to begin with.

Maybe if Marsh had shown that he was a good pass rusher, he would have been used that way and probably would still be a Seahawk. Seems like a bitter dude who likes to blame circumstances and others rather than look at his own self.

purpleneer

Reaction score
Yeah. Marsh had chances in Seattle and didn't take advantage. Marsh and Coleman are a couple examples that people ignore in those regular assertions that BB wins every trade. Patriot defenses have overachieved based heavily on how inflexible other teams are, but it's been awhile since they truly had a very goo defense.

NINEster

Reaction score
Playing for 3 teams in one year indicates to me the guy is seen as having talent and just in need of the right situation.

Trrrroy

Reaction score
NINEster":2ve35pb6 said:
Playing for 3 teams in one year indicates to me the guy is seen as having talent and just in need of the right situation.

He's been in two of the best situations in the NFL, working with two of the best defensive minds in the NFL. I don't think situation has been his issue. I don't think coaches believe that either. Especially the 49ers, who signed him to play in a system he already was mediocre in.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Obviously I hope he becomes a good player but at this point I'm not exactly sold he'll be an answer at pass rusher.

I could see it if he was saying he was miscast in NE and only needed another chance (IE SF was his second stop), but in SF he'd be playing the exact same position as in Seattle...who got rid of him.

We'll see what happens but I don't have high expectations. Rotational guy in my mind and a guy to replace when you get a better one.

chris98251

Reaction score
Going from Surf Board University to the Seahawks he has had a pretty relaxed environment, going to the Pats with a East coast mentality and a Brady / Belichick leadership so to speak may have been a complete culture shock, they are much more cut throat and all about business compared to our we have a business but fun also, Crank up the toons and practice to hits of the 70's today atmosphere. He should have hung out with Gronk a lot more if he wanted fun.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":vb3639m2 said:
What has Marsh ever done in the NFL? exactly........

Well, he was great at racking up late hit and roughing the passer penalties.

NINEster

Reaction score
Trrrroy":3oopsur4 said:
NINEster":3oopsur4 said:

He's been in two of the best situations in the NFL, working with two of the best defensive minds in the NFL. I don't think situation has been his issue. I don't think coaches believe that either. Especially the 49ers, who signed him to play in a system he already was mediocre in.

Just because Avril, Bennett, and Clark are ahead of you doesn't mean you're mediocre.

And if NE was using him as a coverage LB, then that's on them....

Hopeful COMP:

2015 Aaron Lynch

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
NINEster":3alqf1tu said:
Trrrroy":3alqf1tu said:
NINEster":3alqf1tu said:

Just because Avril, Bennett, and Clark are ahead of you doesn't mean you're mediocre.

And if NE was using him as a coverage LB, then that's on them....

Hopeful COMP:

2015 Aaron Lynch
Nope. Marsh is a role player/special teams player at best and I think that may be a bit generous. Just because he’s wearin’ your favorite color of laundry doesn’t make him good. Honestly was never impressed with him here in Seattle, seriously underwhelming play and he had the knack for boneheaded penalty’s at the wrong time, but hey.... if you think he’s good, don’t let me rain on your parade.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
The full interview transcript that this came from was released yesterday: https://www.sfgate.com/49ers/article/Th ... 958456.php

Reading the tea leaves it sounds like he was mostly pissed off that the Patriots asked him to do things that weren't just rushing the passer. Belichick is a jerk, and dropping into coverage sometimes isn't "fun" or something.

He also goes back and forth on taking jabs at the Seahawks (saying he liked it there, but didn't think he got enough opportunity), and says that he thinks if he gets his shot he can be a hall of famer.

Basically the guy just sounds entitled and delusional. I'm rooting for him to break out and actually contribute because he's now on the team I root for, but he comes off like kind of a tool.

Marvin49

Reaction score
You never really know when a players career might take off so I won't say he won't be a decent player...

...but I will say I haven't seen anything up to date that would lead me to believe he's about to make a big jump.

I would tend to believe he'll remain the same player he's been which is a situational pass rusher and one of those guys you look to upgrade from next offseason.