Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

49ers legend Dwight Clark lost his battle with ALS today

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • Image
    In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    User avatar
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *
     
    Posts: 4955
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:09 pm
    Location: Kitsap County


  • Rough. Rip
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1231
    Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:08 pm


  • RIP. I hate the 49ers, but he played long before we were division rivals permanently. Seemed like a good guy. Our resident niner fans no doubt regard 'The Catch' the way we regard 'The Tip'.
    0118 999 881 999 119 725 3
    User avatar
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4119
    Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:44 pm
    Location: In the basement of Reynholm Industries


  • RIP Mr. Clark sad to see a legend of the game pass on, you however left a memory that all fans of the NFL will never forget and it beat the Cowboys :)
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 24484
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


  • That sucks. ALS is one of the most horrible diseases you can get. Was so sad for him when he announced he had it. Hope he is in a better place.
    "It's Ground Hawks Day" Chris Berman
    User avatar
    seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4828
    Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:36 pm
    Location: Aiken , SC


  • Dang, a true legend. RIP Mr. Clark. :cry:
    I didnt even know he had ALS, my condolences to his family and niner fans.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

    May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

    I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 23456
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:36 pm
    Location: The pit


  • Sports Hernia wrote:Dang, a true legend. RIP Mr. Clark. :cry:
    I didnt even know he had ALS, my condolences to his family and niner fans.


    Yeah...It was Dwight Clark Day when the Niners played Dallas this year. A ton of his old teammates on the field at halftime including Joe and Jerry. He was in a box with Eddie D and they had him address the crowd. It was REALLY hard to watch as I had no idea the disease had ravaged him so badly already. His speech was very, very slow and difficult to follow. At that point, he'd only been diagnosed for 5 or 6 months so I had no idea the disease had progressed so far.

    RIP Dwight. The Catch will live on forever.

    Really hope they wear a #87 patch or something this year.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6073
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:34 pm


  • It's a sad situation. He had a terrible health problem. I hope his family will be OK. From all accounts most people thought he was a really good guy.
    SanDiego49er
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 225
    Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:21 am


  • Aw man. Sad to hear this. I remember the days with him on the 49ers well. Actually rooted for them a lot as it usually didn't matter with regards to the Seahawks back then.
    "The ultimate number is W's, and that’s what matters in Santa Clara. As such, Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does." - Paul Gutierrez
    User avatar
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *
     
    Posts: 22085
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:23 am
    Location: Mandaue City, Cebu, Philippines


  • Really sad. One hell of a player and by all accounts a really classy guy.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    User avatar
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 9847
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


  • I read a story a long time ago where Joe and Dwight were driving by a park and saw some kids with jerseys on re-enacting "The Catch" so they pulled over and got out to talk to the kids. Classy move.
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy

    http://ivotuk.com/
    User avatar
    ivotuk
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 17485
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:29 pm
    Location: North Pole, Alaska


  • Marvin49 wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:Dang, a true legend. RIP Mr. Clark. :cry:
    I didnt even know he had ALS, my condolences to his family and niner fans.


    Yeah...It was Dwight Clark Day when the Niners played Dallas this year. A ton of his old teammates on the field at halftime including Joe and Jerry. He was in a box with Eddie D and they had him address the crowd. It was REALLY hard to watch as I had no idea the disease had ravaged him so badly already. His speech was very, very slow and difficult to follow. At that point, he'd only been diagnosed for 5 or 6 months so I had no idea the disease had progressed so far.

    RIP Dwight. The Catch will live on forever.
    Really hope they wear a #87 patch or something this year.


    This..RIP
    Will Dissly
    2018 Adopt a rookie
    User avatar
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3928
    Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:42 pm


  • Maulbert wrote:RIP. I hate the 49ers, but he played long before we were division rivals permanently. Seemed like a good guy. Our resident niner fans no doubt regard 'The Catch' the way we regard 'The Tip'.


    I don't agree with that quote entirely. 'The Catch' led to a dynasty that netted them 5-titles. 'The Tip' is not iconic as the Catch and only netted a one-hit wonder Superbowl. The Tip is probably confined to area code 206 at that.
    Sorry !
    DIRTYDOZENFAN
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 9
    Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:46 pm


  • DIRTYDOZENFAN wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:RIP. I hate the 49ers, but he played long before we were division rivals permanently. Seemed like a good guy. Our resident niner fans no doubt regard 'The Catch' the way we regard 'The Tip'.


    I don't agree with that quote entirely. 'The Catch' led to a dynasty that netted them 5-titles. 'The Tip' is not iconic as the Catch and only netted a one-hit wonder Superbowl. The Tip is probably confined to area code 206 at that.
    Sorry !



    Nothing says "classless scum" quite like trolling your own player's memorial thread on an opponents fan forum.
    User avatar
    The_Z_Man
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1937
    Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:57 pm
    Location: Tucson, AZ


  • The_Z_Man wrote:
    DIRTYDOZENFAN wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:RIP. I hate the 49ers, but he played long before we were division rivals permanently. Seemed like a good guy. Our resident niner fans no doubt regard 'The Catch' the way we regard 'The Tip'.


    I don't agree with that quote entirely. 'The Catch' led to a dynasty that netted them 5-titles. 'The Tip' is not iconic as the Catch and only netted a one-hit wonder Superbowl. The Tip is probably confined to area code 206 at that.
    Sorry !



    Nothing says "classless scum" quite like trolling your own player's memorial thread on an opponents fan forum.

    So true. Pretty sure I know who this “new poster” is, and he’s not new. Different screen name, same chorus.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

    May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

    I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 23456
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:36 pm
    Location: The pit


  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    The_Z_Man wrote:
    DIRTYDOZENFAN wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:RIP. I hate the 49ers, but he played long before we were division rivals permanently. Seemed like a good guy. Our resident niner fans no doubt regard 'The Catch' the way we regard 'The Tip'.


    I don't agree with that quote entirely. 'The Catch' led to a dynasty that netted them 5-titles. 'The Tip' is not iconic as the Catch and only netted a one-hit wonder Superbowl. The Tip is probably confined to area code 206 at that.
    Sorry !



    Nothing says "classless scum" quite like trolling your own player's memorial thread on an opponents fan forum.

    So true. Pretty sure I know who this “new poster” is, and he’s not new. Different screen name, same chorus.


    I mean, I KINDA get the point he's making as being the launching pad for 5 rings compared to 1 isn't the same thing, but when that ring is the only one you have (and to be clear, not an insult there...just stating mindset of a 'hawks fan) the plays that got you to that ring have got to be pretty damn huge in the lexicon of Seahawks fandom.

    IE, It probably is as big in terms of Seahawks fans...but maybe not as big and famous league-wide.

    It's also taken 35+ years for the legend of "The Catch" to grow. At this point the tail is that he jumped 10 feet off the ground for that reception.

    I'm sure as time passes "the Tip" will grow as well.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6073
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:34 pm


  • Marvin49 wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:
    The_Z_Man wrote:
    DIRTYDOZENFAN wrote:
    I don't agree with that quote entirely. 'The Catch' led to a dynasty that netted them 5-titles. 'The Tip' is not iconic as the Catch and only netted a one-hit wonder Superbowl. The Tip is probably confined to area code 206 at that.
    Sorry !



    Nothing says "classless scum" quite like trolling your own player's memorial thread on an opponents fan forum.

    So true. Pretty sure I know who this “new poster” is, and he’s not new. Different screen name, same chorus.


    I mean, I KINDA get the point he's making as being the launching pad for 5 rings compared to 1 isn't the same thing, but when that ring is the only one you have (and to be clear, not an insult there...just stating mindset of a 'hawks fan) the plays that got you to that ring have got to be pretty damn huge in the lexicon of Seahawks fandom.

    IE, It probably is as big in terms of Seahawks fans...but maybe not as big and famous league-wide.

    It's also taken 35+ years for the legend of "The Catch" to grow. At this point the tail is that he jumped 10 feet off the ground for that reception.

    I'm sure as time passes "the Tip" will grow as well.


    Stop trying to quantify. The Catch led to your first Super Bowl victory. The Tip led to ours. That was all I meant. It took a lot more than that catch to make the 49ers a dynasty, including the complete lack of free agency that existed in the 1980s.

    Also, I might add, I know The Tip isn't legendary league wide. The Beastquake is much more famous for the Seahawks. Not every famously great play has to launch a dynasty. No one remembers the Steelers lost to the undefeated Dolphins one week after the Immaculate Reception.
    0118 999 881 999 119 725 3
    User avatar
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4119
    Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:44 pm
    Location: In the basement of Reynholm Industries


  • Maulbert wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:
    The_Z_Man wrote:

    Nothing says "classless scum" quite like trolling your own player's memorial thread on an opponents fan forum.

    So true. Pretty sure I know who this “new poster” is, and he’s not new. Different screen name, same chorus.


    I mean, I KINDA get the point he's making as being the launching pad for 5 rings compared to 1 isn't the same thing, but when that ring is the only one you have (and to be clear, not an insult there...just stating mindset of a 'hawks fan) the plays that got you to that ring have got to be pretty damn huge in the lexicon of Seahawks fandom.

    IE, It probably is as big in terms of Seahawks fans...but maybe not as big and famous league-wide.

    It's also taken 35+ years for the legend of "The Catch" to grow. At this point the tail is that he jumped 10 feet off the ground for that reception.

    I'm sure as time passes "the Tip" will grow as well.


    Stop trying to quantify. The Catch led to your first Super Bowl victory. The Tip led to ours. That was all I meant. It took a lot more than that catch to make the 49ers a dynasty, including the complete lack of free agency that existed in the 1980s.

    Also, I might add, I know The Tip isn't legendary league wide. The Beastquake is much more famous for the Seahawks. Not every famously great play has to launch a dynasty. No one remembers the Steelers lost to the undefeated Dolphins one week after the Immaculate Reception.


    No worries....I was actually kinda agreeing with you.

    To be honest though, even the effects of those specific plays in their respective games are very different.

    One could argue The Tip was a bigger play in regards to its effect on the outcome of the game.

    Dallas got the Ball back after the catch and it took a miracle of a tackle to prevent what would have been a long game winning TD by Dallas.

    The Tip effectively ended the game.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6073
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:34 pm


  • The Catch started a ball rolling that made legends of many 49er players and Coaches. It is to be seen what the Tip does other then vaulted us into the respect spotlight and playoffs.
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 24484
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


  • That catch helped them win 1 Super Bowl, not 3 or 4 or whatever it was.
    User avatar
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4430
    Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:47 pm


  • fenderbender123 wrote:That catch helped them win 1 Super Bowl, not 3 or 4 or whatever it was.


    5. :D

    ...but point taken. The team that won the SB even 3 years later in '84 was a very different roster than the one in '81. In fact, there are only 5 players who have 4 49ers SB rings (Joe Montana, Ronnie Lott, Eric Wright, Mike Wilson, and Keena Turner) and NONE who have 5. That play in '81 didn't have anything to do with the Lombardi they won in '94.

    Technically, The Catch had NOTHING to do with the other 4 rings, but that's not how Legends work. :D

    Put another way, easy to say the Pats Legacy began with the "Tuck Rule".

    That ruling gave them a chance to win one ring, but its Iconic and many would say it was the beginning of the Legend of the modern day New England Patriots.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6073
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:34 pm


  • That put Walsh, Montana and the rest on the map as far as a place to go, support, the look the other way flags all of it, it started the run you had, much like the Cowboys finally had with Aikman, Smith and Irvin, or now with then Patriots, you get a reputation and it helps, we had it with the LOB and our aggressiveness that everyone hated.
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 24484
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.




It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:21 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]




Information
  • Who is online
  • Users browsing this forum: Rams_eat_QB's, Yahoo [Bot] and 26 guests