49ers legend Dwight Clark lost his battle with ALS today

Maulbert

Reaction score
RIP. I hate the 49ers, but he played long before we were division rivals permanently. Seemed like a good guy. Our resident niner fans no doubt regard 'The Catch' the way we regard 'The Tip'.

chris98251

Reaction score
RIP Mr. Clark sad to see a legend of the game pass on, you however left a memory that all fans of the NFL will never forget and it beat the Cowboys :)

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
That sucks. ALS is one of the most horrible diseases you can get. Was so sad for him when he announced he had it. Hope he is in a better place.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Dang, a true legend. RIP Mr. Clark. :cry:
I didnt even know he had ALS, my condolences to his family and niner fans.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1ypa4sh0 said:

Yeah...It was Dwight Clark Day when the Niners played Dallas this year. A ton of his old teammates on the field at halftime including Joe and Jerry. He was in a box with Eddie D and they had him address the crowd. It was REALLY hard to watch as I had no idea the disease had ravaged him so badly already. His speech was very, very slow and difficult to follow. At that point, he'd only been diagnosed for 5 or 6 months so I had no idea the disease had progressed so far.

RIP Dwight. The Catch will live on forever.

Really hope they wear a #87 patch or something this year.

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
It's a sad situation. He had a terrible health problem. I hope his family will be OK. From all accounts most people thought he was a really good guy.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I read a story a long time ago where Joe and Dwight were driving by a park and saw some kids with jerseys on re-enacting "The Catch" so they pulled over and got out to talk to the kids. Classy move.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Marvin49":2s6zp7zo said:
Sports Hernia":2s6zp7zo said:

Yeah...It was Dwight Clark Day when the Niners played Dallas this year. A ton of his old teammates on the field at halftime including Joe and Jerry. He was in a box with Eddie D and they had him address the crowd. It was REALLY hard to watch as I had no idea the disease had ravaged him so badly already. His speech was very, very slow and difficult to follow. At that point, he'd only been diagnosed for 5 or 6 months so I had no idea the disease had progressed so far.

RIP Dwight. The Catch will live on forever.
Really hope they wear a #87 patch or something this year.

This..RIP

The Dirty Dozen Fan

Reaction score
Maulbert":1ojr7cz0 said:
RIP. I hate the 49ers, but he played long before we were division rivals permanently. Seemed like a good guy. Our resident niner fans no doubt regard 'The Catch' the way we regard 'The Tip'.

I don't agree with that quote entirely. 'The Catch' led to a dynasty that netted them 5-titles. 'The Tip' is not iconic as the Catch and only netted a one-hit wonder Superbowl. The Tip is probably confined to area code 206 at that.
Sorry !

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":21phe4df said:
DIRTYDOZENFAN":21phe4df said:
Maulbert":21phe4df said:

I don't agree with that quote entirely. 'The Catch' led to a dynasty that netted them 5-titles. 'The Tip' is not iconic as the Catch and only netted a one-hit wonder Superbowl. The Tip is probably confined to area code 206 at that.
Sorry !

Nothing says "classless scum" quite like trolling your own player's memorial thread on an opponents fan forum.
So true. Pretty sure I know who this “new poster” is, and he’s not new. Different screen name, same chorus.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2fdgqelj said:
The_Z_Man":2fdgqelj said:
DIRTYDOZENFAN":2fdgqelj said:
Maulbert":2fdgqelj said:

Sorry !

Nothing says "classless scum" quite like trolling your own player's memorial thread on an opponents fan forum.
So true. Pretty sure I know who this “new poster” is, and he’s not new. Different screen name, same chorus.

I mean, I KINDA get the point he's making as being the launching pad for 5 rings compared to 1 isn't the same thing, but when that ring is the only one you have (and to be clear, not an insult there...just stating mindset of a 'hawks fan) the plays that got you to that ring have got to be pretty damn huge in the lexicon of Seahawks fandom.

IE, It probably is as big in terms of Seahawks fans...but maybe not as big and famous league-wide.

It's also taken 35+ years for the legend of "The Catch" to grow. At this point the tail is that he jumped 10 feet off the ground for that reception.

I'm sure as time passes "the Tip" will grow as well.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Marvin49":20n4u9db said:
Sports Hernia":20n4u9db said:
The_Z_Man":20n4u9db said:
DIRTYDOZENFAN":20n4u9db said:
Sorry !

I mean, I KINDA get the point he's making as being the launching pad for 5 rings compared to 1 isn't the same thing, but when that ring is the only one you have (and to be clear, not an insult there...just stating mindset of a 'hawks fan) the plays that got you to that ring have got to be pretty damn huge in the lexicon of Seahawks fandom.

IE, It probably is as big in terms of Seahawks fans...but maybe not as big and famous league-wide.

It's also taken 35+ years for the legend of "The Catch" to grow. At this point the tail is that he jumped 10 feet off the ground for that reception.

Stop trying to quantify. The Catch led to your first Super Bowl victory. The Tip led to ours. That was all I meant. It took a lot more than that catch to make the 49ers a dynasty, including the complete lack of free agency that existed in the 1980s.

Also, I might add, I know The Tip isn't legendary league wide. The Beastquake is much more famous for the Seahawks. Not every famously great play has to launch a dynasty. No one remembers the Steelers lost to the undefeated Dolphins one week after the Immaculate Reception.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Maulbert":2m672dpb said:
Marvin49":2m672dpb said:
Sports Hernia":2m672dpb said:
The_Z_Man":2m672dpb said:

Stop trying to quantify. The Catch led to your first Super Bowl victory. The Tip led to ours. That was all I meant. It took a lot more than that catch to make the 49ers a dynasty, including the complete lack of free agency that existed in the 1980s.

Also, I might add, I know The Tip isn't legendary league wide. The Beastquake is much more famous for the Seahawks. Not every famously great play has to launch a dynasty. No one remembers the Steelers lost to the undefeated Dolphins one week after the Immaculate Reception.

No worries....I was actually kinda agreeing with you.

To be honest though, even the effects of those specific plays in their respective games are very different.

One could argue The Tip was a bigger play in regards to its effect on the outcome of the game.

Dallas got the Ball back after the catch and it took a miracle of a tackle to prevent what would have been a long game winning TD by Dallas.

The Tip effectively ended the game.

chris98251

Reaction score
The Catch started a ball rolling that made legends of many 49er players and Coaches. It is to be seen what the Tip does other then vaulted us into the respect spotlight and playoffs.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
That catch helped them win 1 Super Bowl, not 3 or 4 or whatever it was.

Marvin49

Reaction score
fenderbender123":1oq5js6q said:
That catch helped them win 1 Super Bowl, not 3 or 4 or whatever it was.

5. :D

...but point taken. The team that won the SB even 3 years later in '84 was a very different roster than the one in '81. In fact, there are only 5 players who have 4 49ers SB rings (Joe Montana, Ronnie Lott, Eric Wright, Mike Wilson, and Keena Turner) and NONE who have 5. That play in '81 didn't have anything to do with the Lombardi they won in '94.

Technically, The Catch had NOTHING to do with the other 4 rings, but that's not how Legends work. :D

Put another way, easy to say the Pats Legacy began with the "Tuck Rule".

That ruling gave them a chance to win one ring, but its Iconic and many would say it was the beginning of the Legend of the modern day New England Patriots.