Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

TO Skipping Hall of Fame Induction

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
TO Skipping Hall of Fame Induction
Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:13 pm
  • Posting from my phone so too annoying to provide a link, but I find it a mildly curious decision.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

Re: TO Skipping Hall of Fame Induction
Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:56 pm

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:56 pm
  • What a tool. Revoke his invitation to the HoF altogether.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:03 pm
  • Hahahaha that's awesome. TO a heel til the end. Love it.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:07 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:What a tool. Revoke his invitation to the HoF altogether.

What's the point of revoking something he's already declined? Or do you mean revoke his induction instead of his invitation? I'm pretty sure they aren't revoking an induction. I'm actually pretty sure that would be a bit of an overreaction.

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:14 pm
  • I can see him getting some special location and then having coverage there to grand stand. He will be inducted via satellite by Dion Sanders or something like that.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:23 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:I can see him getting some special location and then having coverage there to grand stand. He will be inducted via satellite by Dion Sanders or something like that.

I was thinking something along those lines when I read in his statement about saying he'd be announcing the location he would be celebrating.

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:17 pm
  • TO is a guy that always kind of did crazy things.

Sometimes, people that do crazy things are doing it to create buzz, get attention, or build on the character they created.

But sometimes they are just crazy.

I thought TO had some struggles with mental illness for some time. I cannot prove it but he seemed erratic and it was continuous.

If that is the reason, then I don't think it makes sense to call him out for it.

It should be his choice and if something about attending would be difficult for him - I can respect that.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:58 pm
  • Thought he should have been a first ballot inductee. I am sure he has his reasons but I really think he is making a very big mistake here and is something he will regret later in life. I hope someone can talk some sense in him. This is the pinnacle of football, he should do the whole process and enjoy it.
    "It's Ground Hawks Day" Chris Berman
    seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:14 am
  • PFT made the potentially good point that it could be a money thing.

It's expensive -- you gotta pay out of pocket for all the friends and family and speakers you bring, have to pay for a big party, etc.

Usually the team that you're most associated with picks up the tab for all this stuff, but T.O. is atypical in that he doesn't really have a team he's most associated with, and he doesn't have a good relationship with any of the teams he played for.

If it is a money thing, a guy with ego of T.O. would never, ever admit that.
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:13 am
  • This is an attention seeking move. And more power to him for getting us talking about him.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:08 pm
  • Popeyejones wrote:PFT made the potentially good point that it could be a money thing.

It's expensive -- you gotta pay out of pocket for all the friends and family and speakers you bring, have to pay for a big party, etc.

Usually the team that you're most associated with picks up the tab for all this stuff, but T.O. is atypical in that he doesn't really have a team he's most associated with, and he doesn't have a good relationship with any of the teams he played for.

Expensive if you and I were doing it, how much does he make just in appearances now, autographs etc, let alone all the money from his playing days.

Not like he is doing something like having Madonna play at his celebration ya know.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:37 pm
  • Ok for a football player being inducted to HOF weights more than an actor winning Oscar, because one can win multiple oscars over a long period of time.

That said , Woody Allen won multiple oscars BUT never attended or accepted any of them, he was too busy playing in a jazz band on those days :)

++++
    Despite friendly recognition from the Academy, Allen has consistently refused to attend the ceremony or acknowledge his Oscar wins. His publicly given reason is his standing engagement to play clarinet in a Monday night ensemble. Back in 1974, Woody was quoted by ABC News as saying, "The whole concept of awards is silly. I cannot abide by the judgment of other people, because if you accept it when they say you deserve an award, then you have to accept it when they say you don't".
    +++++

He broke this pattern once. At the Academy Awards ceremony in 2002, Allen made an unannounced appearance, pleading for producers to continue filming their movies in New York City after the September 11 attacks, where he stated, "I didn't have to present anything. I didn't have to accept anything. I just had to talk about New York City." He was given a standing ovation before introducing a montage of movie clips featuring New York.

++++++

Do Woody wouldn’t travel his personal glories, but he did for the city that he loved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    ++ You can call me a homer, but I am not the only one ++
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    toffee
    NET Veteran

Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:07 am
  • Once more, T.O. has made it about him. The whole “at a later date I will announce when and where” bit is just more grand standing. He will never be anything more than a look-at-me moron. If he even remotely had a clue he would realize that on that stage he will have his look-at-me moment. He can say what he feels and make people understand who he is. Football is a better sport without him.

And if you think it’s too expensive you may want to go back and look at those contracts these guys sign. ‘Too expensive’ becomes an oxymoron after they get paid.
    ~ HOLY CATFISH ~
    MD5eahawks
    NET Veteran

Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:23 am
  • TO is trash.

Stats say he should be in the Hall, but everything else, not so much.
    Coug_Hawk08
    NET Veteran

Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:34 pm
  • MD5eahawks wrote:Once more, T.O. has made it about him. The whole “at a later date I will announce when and where” bit is just more grand standing. He will never be anything more than a look-at-me moron. If he even remotely had a clue he would realize that on that stage he will have his look-at-me moment. He can say what he feels and make people understand who he is. Football is a better sport without him.

And if you think it’s too expensive you may want to go back and look at those contracts these guys sign. ‘Too expensive’ becomes an oxymoron after they get paid.

But that's the whole point. That's who TO is and what he's about. It baffles me that people are so mad about this. It's more fun to just sit back and enjoy it for what it is.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:18 am
  • adeltaY wrote:
    MD5eahawks wrote:Once more, T.O. has made it about him. The whole “at a later date I will announce when and where” bit is just more grand standing. He will never be anything more than a look-at-me moron. If he even remotely had a clue he would realize that on that stage he will have his look-at-me moment. He can say what he feels and make people understand who he is. Football is a better sport without him.

But that's the whole point. That's who TO is and what he's about. It baffles me that people are so mad about this. It's more fun to just sit back and enjoy it for what it is.

At some point in your life you have to grow up and show respect. Do you think the other inductees are okay with his antics carrying over to the most prestigious portion of their careers. He is given a podium and time. Time that has been allotted to him so he can be him and all the football world will be watching. But no, he has to make it more than that. "That is just TO" ain't gonna cut it.
    ~ HOLY CATFISH ~
    MD5eahawks
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:26 am
  • kidhawk wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:What a tool. Revoke his invitation to the HoF altogether.

What's the point of revoking something he's already declined? Or do you mean revoke his induction instead of his invitation? I'm pretty sure they aren't revoking an induction. I'm actually pretty sure that would be a bit of an overreaction.

Yeah, I meant induction. I know they won't do it - but this is a pretty big thing to snub.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:49 pm
  • toffee wrote:Ok for a football player being inducted to HOF weights more than an actor winning Oscar, because one can win multiple oscars over a long period of time.

That said , Woody Allen won multiple oscars BUT never attended or accepted any of them, he was too busy playing in a jazz band on those days :)

++++
    Despite friendly recognition from the Academy, Allen has consistently refused to attend the ceremony or acknowledge his Oscar wins. His publicly given reason is his standing engagement to play clarinet in a Monday night ensemble. Back in 1974, Woody was quoted by ABC News as saying, "The whole concept of awards is silly. I cannot abide by the judgment of other people, because if you accept it when they say you deserve an award, then you have to accept it when they say you don't".
    +++++

He broke this pattern once. At the Academy Awards ceremony in 2002, Allen made an unannounced appearance, pleading for producers to continue filming their movies in New York City after the September 11 attacks, where he stated, "I didn't have to present anything. I didn't have to accept anything. I just had to talk about New York City." He was given a standing ovation before introducing a montage of movie clips featuring New York.

++++++

Do Woody wouldn’t travel his personal glories, but he did for the city that he loved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're right, Woody Allen is trash for different reasons.
    RIP Paul Allen, 1953-2018

The greatest owner in Seattle sports history.

189-152-1
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:27 pm
  • TO has always been a trip for me.

When most people think of TO they think of the boisterous character that populated the NFL for over a decade, burning bridges wherever he went.

Thats not inaccurate BTW. TO could really be an a$$.

What trips me out is I remember his draft. I remember his early interviews where he was so nervous he could barely speak. I remember him coming from a tiny little school and the next thing he knew he was in a room with Jerry Rice every day.

Remember, this is coming from a guy who couldn't stand him because of the way he left SF, but to me he was one of the most naturally gifted athletes I've ever seen. He was just a monster with the ball in his hands.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:40 am
  • Popeyejones wrote:PFT made the potentially good point that it could be a money thing.

That's an interesting angle. Didn't he file bankruptcy or am I thinking of another former player?

As to the "associated with," I would think that would be the 49ers. I know that's who I think of first when I think of TO, even though he went many, many other places but where you first burst onto the scene is usually what you are most known for (except certain players like Drew Brees).
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:33 pm
  • No thanks to the Hawks for taking a chance on him?? Wonder why..

Mistashoesta
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:16 am
  • Mistashoesta wrote:No thanks to the Hawks for taking a chance on him?? Wonder why..

50/50, he catches that pass, could have made the team. Love or hate the guy,,, he is an anomaly in football. Very weird him and Moss showed up on the same theater at the same time. Those two were the most ridiculous receivers of all time. Moss ^^

Never seen top tier receivers get more wide open than those two,,,,how??? You know they are good, yet shit, all of a sudden they are open. What?
    seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:54 am
  • Honestly the drops are what I remember TO for the most. I was very surprised when I found out how high he was on the all-time lists for yards and receptions and whatever.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:45 pm
  • If someone wants to celebrate their induction on their own, with family and friends, or however he'd prefer to do it, great! I'll shrug my shoulders on this one, more power to him. I don't really care what he wants to do, and nobody should be forced to go if they don't want to be there. He was a great WR and he deserves the nod- doesn't mean he has to go.
    nategreat
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:56 pm
  • nategreat wrote:If someone wants to celebrate their induction on their own, with family and friends, or however he'd prefer to do it, great! I'll shrug my shoulders on this one, more power to him. I don't really care what he wants to do, and nobody should be forced to go if they don't want to be there. He was a great WR and he deserves the nod- doesn't mean he has to go.

For the most part I agree with you but I just really think there should be some peer pressure from the HOF inductees to let him know he is making a mistake. This is a once in a lifetime event and he really should participate in it.

Again, if he doesn't he will eventually regret it.
    seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:17 pm
  • He just ran a 4.43 40, he wants to still play and Edmonton has invited him up there, not what he wants to do granted but 4.43 at his age says a lot, he always was a freak of nature physically.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:54 am
  • Aside from prestige, are there any benefits to being inducted into the Hall of Fame? T.O. was never a fan of the NFL as a business, I'm not at all surprised by his decision. Honestly, as a business, the NFL sucks, but that's for another thread and another day.

Good for T.O.
    2018 Adopt a Rookie: Rashaad Penny

Sox-n-Hawks
    NET Veteran

It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:31 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information