TO Skipping Hall of Fame Induction

HawkGA

Reaction score
Posting from my phone so too annoying to provide a link, but I find it a mildly curious decision.

kidhawk

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1004758606871396352[/tweet]

kidhawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":yhwkk4ls said:
What a tool. Revoke his invitation to the HoF altogether.

What's the point of revoking something he's already declined? Or do you mean revoke his induction instead of his invitation? I'm pretty sure they aren't revoking an induction. I'm actually pretty sure that would be a bit of an overreaction.

chris98251

Reaction score
I can see him getting some special location and then having coverage there to grand stand. He will be inducted via satellite by Dion Sanders or something like that.

kidhawk

Reaction score
chris98251":yq4e5ko2 said:
I can see him getting some special location and then having coverage there to grand stand. He will be inducted via satellite by Dion Sanders or something like that.

I was thinking something along those lines when I read in his statement about saying he'd be announcing the location he would be celebrating.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
TO is a guy that always kind of did crazy things.

Sometimes, people that do crazy things are doing it to create buzz, get attention, or build on the character they created.

But sometimes they are just crazy.

I thought TO had some struggles with mental illness for some time. I cannot prove it but he seemed erratic and it was continuous.

If that is the reason, then I don't think it makes sense to call him out for it.

It should be his choice and if something about attending would be difficult for him - I can respect that.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Thought he should have been a first ballot inductee. I am sure he has his reasons but I really think he is making a very big mistake here and is something he will regret later in life. I hope someone can talk some sense in him. This is the pinnacle of football, he should do the whole process and enjoy it.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
PFT made the potentially good point that it could be a money thing.

It's expensive -- you gotta pay out of pocket for all the friends and family and speakers you bring, have to pay for a big party, etc.

Usually the team that you're most associated with picks up the tab for all this stuff, but T.O. is atypical in that he doesn't really have a team he's most associated with, and he doesn't have a good relationship with any of the teams he played for.

If it is a money thing, a guy with ego of T.O. would never, ever admit that.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
This is an attention seeking move. And more power to him for getting us talking about him.

chris98251

Reaction score
Popeyejones":7inzgtmf said:
PFT made the potentially good point that it could be a money thing.

It's expensive -- you gotta pay out of pocket for all the friends and family and speakers you bring, have to pay for a big party, etc.

Usually the team that you're most associated with picks up the tab for all this stuff, but T.O. is atypical in that he doesn't really have a team he's most associated with, and he doesn't have a good relationship with any of the teams he played for.

If it is a money thing, a guy with ego of T.O. would never, ever admit that.

Expensive if you and I were doing it, how much does he make just in appearances now, autographs etc, let alone all the money from his playing days.

Not like he is doing something like having Madonna play at his celebration ya know.

toffee

Reaction score
Ok for a football player being inducted to HOF weights more than an actor winning Oscar, because one can win multiple oscars over a long period of time.

That said , Woody Allen won multiple oscars BUT never attended or accepted any of them, he was too busy playing in a jazz band on those days :)

++++
Despite friendly recognition from the Academy, Allen has consistently refused to attend the ceremony or acknowledge his Oscar wins. His publicly given reason is his standing engagement to play clarinet in a Monday night ensemble. Back in 1974, Woody was quoted by ABC News as saying, "The whole concept of awards is silly. I cannot abide by the judgment of other people, because if you accept it when they say you deserve an award, then you have to accept it when they say you don't".
+++++

He broke this pattern once. At the Academy Awards ceremony in 2002, Allen made an unannounced appearance, pleading for producers to continue filming their movies in New York City after the September 11 attacks, where he stated, "I didn't have to present anything. I didn't have to accept anything. I just had to talk about New York City." He was given a standing ovation before introducing a montage of movie clips featuring New York.

++++++

Do Woody wouldn’t travel his personal glories, but he did for the city that he loved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
Once more, T.O. has made it about him. The whole “at a later date I will announce when and where” bit is just more grand standing. He will never be anything more than a look-at-me moron. If he even remotely had a clue he would realize that on that stage he will have his look-at-me moment. He can say what he feels and make people understand who he is. Football is a better sport without him.

And if you think it’s too expensive you may want to go back and look at those contracts these guys sign. ‘Too expensive’ becomes an oxymoron after they get paid.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
TO is trash.

Stats say he should be in the Hall, but everything else, not so much.

adeltaY

Reaction score
MD5eahawks":3lh1leh9 said:
Once more, T.O. has made it about him. The whole “at a later date I will announce when and where” bit is just more grand standing. He will never be anything more than a look-at-me moron. If he even remotely had a clue he would realize that on that stage he will have his look-at-me moment. He can say what he feels and make people understand who he is. Football is a better sport without him.

And if you think it’s too expensive you may want to go back and look at those contracts these guys sign. ‘Too expensive’ becomes an oxymoron after they get paid.

But that's the whole point. That's who TO is and what he's about. It baffles me that people are so mad about this. It's more fun to just sit back and enjoy it for what it is.

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
adeltaY":84ihk18o said:
MD5eahawks":84ihk18o said:

But that's the whole point. That's who TO is and what he's about. It baffles me that people are so mad about this. It's more fun to just sit back and enjoy it for what it is.
At some point in your life you have to grow up and show respect. Do you think the other inductees are okay with his antics carrying over to the most prestigious portion of their careers. He is given a podium and time. Time that has been allotted to him so he can be him and all the football world will be watching. But no, he has to make it more than that. "That is just TO" ain't gonna cut it.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
kidhawk":3rbgx1it said:
RolandDeschain":3rbgx1it said:
What a tool. Revoke his invitation to the HoF altogether.

What's the point of revoking something he's already declined? Or do you mean revoke his induction instead of his invitation? I'm pretty sure they aren't revoking an induction. I'm actually pretty sure that would be a bit of an overreaction.
Yeah, I meant induction. I know they won't do it - but this is a pretty big thing to snub.

Maulbert

Reaction score
toffee":2rbj4b76 said:
Ok for a football player being inducted to HOF weights more than an actor winning Oscar, because one can win multiple oscars over a long period of time.

That said , Woody Allen won multiple oscars BUT never attended or accepted any of them, he was too busy playing in a jazz band on those days :)

++++
Despite friendly recognition from the Academy, Allen has consistently refused to attend the ceremony or acknowledge his Oscar wins. His publicly given reason is his standing engagement to play clarinet in a Monday night ensemble. Back in 1974, Woody was quoted by ABC News as saying, "The whole concept of awards is silly. I cannot abide by the judgment of other people, because if you accept it when they say you deserve an award, then you have to accept it when they say you don't".
+++++

He broke this pattern once. At the Academy Awards ceremony in 2002, Allen made an unannounced appearance, pleading for producers to continue filming their movies in New York City after the September 11 attacks, where he stated, "I didn't have to present anything. I didn't have to accept anything. I just had to talk about New York City." He was given a standing ovation before introducing a montage of movie clips featuring New York.

++++++

Do Woody wouldn’t travel his personal glories, but he did for the city that he loved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're right, Woody Allen is trash for different reasons.

Marvin49

Reaction score
TO has always been a trip for me.

When most people think of TO they think of the boisterous character that populated the NFL for over a decade, burning bridges wherever he went.

Thats not inaccurate BTW. TO could really be an a$$.

What trips me out is I remember his draft. I remember his early interviews where he was so nervous he could barely speak. I remember him coming from a tiny little school and the next thing he knew he was in a room with Jerry Rice every day.

Remember, this is coming from a guy who couldn't stand him because of the way he left SF, but to me he was one of the most naturally gifted athletes I've ever seen. He was just a monster with the ball in his hands.

Latest posts