So who is the Whiners' RB this year?

hawknation2018

Reaction score
I have to look it up. :lol:

Jerick McKinnon and Matt Breida . . . LOL. Both Georgia Southern alums.

The 0-9ers currently have $46.5 million in available cap space, yet they allowed Carlos Hyde to leave in free agency and failed to sign or draft a starter-caliber back.

Silly Whiners. :twisted:

Marvin49

Reaction score
Yer Funny....

Shanahan hand picked Jerick McKinnon and they paid him handsomely when they could have paid the same amount or probably less to keep Hyde.

IE, they CHOSE McKinnon over Hyde.

Time will tell if that was a good choice and McKinnons career yardage is dubious, but given his history I tend to trust Shanahan on offensive players.

They also have last years 4th round pick who spend the season on IR, Joe Williams.

As for Hyde, I'm not gonna rip the guy because I actually like him quite a bit. He's a good runner, breaks tackles, quicker than you think....but he didn't seem like a good scheme fit in SF anymore. SHould be noted that last year Hyde Ran for 938 yards and Breida ran for 465 yards, but the yards per carry were quite different (Hyde 3.9, Breida 4.4).

Carlos also had some issues holding onto the ball in the pass game and backs out of the backfield is huge in this offense.

SF49r

Reaction score
Don't sleep on Bobby Turner and Shanahan's run scheme

chris98251

Reaction score
I liked Hyde, you had a crap line, we seen that no line creates issues here, Hyde is amore Power back guy that needs a step to get going, once he is going harder to bring down.

McKinnon is a Cork guy, pops out quick but isn't going to bull thru you much.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Jet was pretty good in Minny, don't see why he wouldn't be better in Shanahan's system.

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
adeltaY":3iayyxju said:
Jet was pretty good in Minny, don't see why he wouldn't be better in Shanahan's system.

We'll see. He would need to double his best output for this to be considered a worthy signing.

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Marvin49":3gicbpcf said:
Yer Funny....

Shanahan hand picked Jerick McKinnon and they paid him handsomely when they could have paid the same amount or probably less to keep Hyde.

Time will tell if that was a good choice and McKinnons career yardage is dubious, but given his history I tend to trust Shanahan on offensive players.

They also have last years 4th round pick who spend the season on IR, Joe Williams.

As for Hyde, I'm not gonna rip the guy because I actually like him quite a bit. He's a good runner, breaks tackles, quicker than you think....but he didn't seem like a good scheme fit in SF anymore. SHould be noted that last year Hyde Ran for 938 yards and Breida ran for 465 yards, but the yards per carry were quite different (Hyde 3.9, Breida 4.4).

Carlos also had some issues holding onto the ball in the pass game and backs out of the backfield is huge in this offense.

You’re putting a lot of faith in Kyle Shanahan.

You also don’t have much at WR, except a rookie in Dante Pettis.

Better hope Pettis doesn’t get hurt or this is the worst skill position group in the league.

SF49r

Reaction score
Garcon, goodwin, bourne, and Taylor were all solid last year. Shanahan is like the WR whisperer just like how Pete Caroll is the CB whisperer. Trent Taylor was a 5th round pick last year and was one of the best 3rd down slot receivers when Jimmy G started

Popeyejones

Reaction score
kobebryant":2a9fvnnj said:
McKinnon > Hyde IMO

In the scheme, yes, absolutely, and it isn't even close.

The two most important things for a RB to be successful in Kyle's scheme is the outside zone (which is a *feel* play much more than it's a raw talent or ability play -- why a revolving cast of athletically unspectacular nobodies could keep going for 1K a year in his dad's offenses) and being a receiving threat out of the backfield.

Because of this, Hyde had more receptions last year than he had in the rest of his career combined (even though he's really not very good as a receiving threat out of the backfield), and had his lowest YPC of his career too (because outside zone just isn't even remotely his strong suit).

In a scheme that doesn't throw to the receiver much and relies more in inside zone, power, and trap runs I think Hyde is easily the superior back.

In Kyle's scheme though Hyde's talents just don't fit: Kyle's scheme accentuates his weaknesses and masks his talents, whereas it accentuates McKinnon's talent and likely masks his weaknesses.

If you want to see how scheme-dependent RBs are look at Devonta Freeman and Tevin Coleman. They're built for Kyle's scheme, and even though the Falcons still kept some of it last year, the adjustments away from it caused their production to suffer.

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2pijnd4q said:
kobebryant":2pijnd4q said:
McKinnon > Hyde IMO

The two most important things for a RB to be successful in Kyle's scheme is the outside zone (which is a *feel* play much more than it's a raw talent or ability play -- why a revolving cast of athletically unspectacular nobodies could keep going for 1K a year in his dad's offenses) and being a receiving threat out of the backfield.

Because of this, Hyde had more receptions last year than he had in the rest of his career combined (even though he's really not very good as a receiving threat out of the backfield), and had his lowest YPC of his career too (because outside zone just isn't even remotely his strong suit).

In a scheme that doesn't throw to the receiver much and relies more in inside zone, power, and trap runs I think Hyde is easily the superior back.

In Kyle's scheme though Hyde's talents just don't fit: Kyle's scheme accentuates his weaknesses and masks his talents, whereas it accentuates McKinnon's talent and likely masks his weaknesses.

If you want to see how scheme-dependent RBs are look at Devonta Freeman and Tevin Coleman. They're built for Kyle's scheme, and even though the Falcons still kept some of it last year, the adjustments away from it caused their production to suffer.

It’s because Hyde is too slow.

:2thumbs:

Marvin49

Reaction score
hawknation2018":1je12uez said:
Marvin49":1je12uez said:
Yer Funny....

Better hope Pettis doesn’t get hurt or this is the worst skill position group in the league.

Yes to the bolded.

Uh...Pettis likely won't even start.

Garcon was good before getting hurt, and he never even got to play with Garoppolo. Goodwin nearly had 1000 yards and ALOT of that came after Garoppolo entered the lineup. Taylor was one of the best 3rd down slot receivers in the NFL last year.

I realize you are mostly trolling here, but your lack of knowledge RE: the Niners roster is just embarrassing.

Trrrroy

Reaction score
My problem with the Mckinnon signing is the price tag. I realise the 9ers had tons and tons of cap space, but does that really justify giving this guy 7.5 million per year contract? That's Lesean McCoy money. He's been nothing but a rotational piece his entire career.

Maybe Shannahan is some offensive genius that can turn a slightly above average 3rd down back into a superstar, but I have my doubts.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Trrrroy":2n2ds2f4 said:
My problem with the Mckinnon signing is the price tag. I realise the 9ers had tons and tons of cap space, but does that really justify giving this guy 7.5 million per year contract? That's Lesean McCoy money. He's been nothing but a rotational piece his entire career.

Maybe Shannahan is some offensive genius that can turn a slightly above average 3rd down back into a superstar, but I have my doubts.

Yeah, pricetag gave me serious pause...but it was frontloaded so won't be an issue really beyond this season.

Really curious to see how this plays out.

NINEster

Reaction score
The real question is who the hell is the Seahawks RB this year?

Because post Lynch, the Niners have had a better more proven running game than the Hawks.

Hyde > Hawk RB by committee, and Hyde was purposefully let go by staff.

NINEster

Reaction score
Marvin49":usnzpg34 said:
hawknation2018":usnzpg34 said:
Marvin49":usnzpg34 said:
Yer Funny....

Yes to the bolded.

Uh...Pettis likely won't even start.

Garcon was good before getting hurt, and he never even got to play with Garoppolo. Goodwin nearly had 1000 yards and ALOT of that came after Garoppolo entered the lineup. Taylor was one of the best 3rd down slot receivers in the NFL last year.

I realize you are mostly trolling here, but your lack of knowledge RE: the Niners roster is just embarrassing.

It's ok.

Their last memory of the Niners was shutting down them hard at Levi's.

The rest of the season, including JG's first TD pass as a Niner never happened according to them.

NINEster

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3eyvbjfz said:
kobebryant":3eyvbjfz said:
McKinnon > Hyde IMO

This sorta stuff is why I love football.

90% of the NFL's skill position players to some extent are affected by coaching, scheme fit, etc.

Wasn't Marshawn Lynch a relative nobody at Buffalo? Lots of great measurables but a bust considering his draft position?

Then he comes to the Seahawks and is seemingly a top 3-4 RB.

Meanwhile a Frank Gore was never quite as explosive as Lynch but fared far better early in his career on some garbage Niner teams. And still finds a way to produce on NFL rosters while Lynch, AP, are all done.

Always fascinating to make these comparisons. Never so easy to just say player A is outright better than player B.

I hope Hyde kicks a$$ in Cleveland. Will always be a sentimental favorite of the dark years.

He looked nasty pre Chip Kelly.

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
I think both are overrated, lil Shanahan is a fraud, and the Whiners are in for a rude awakening. :twisted:

adeltaY

Reaction score
Apparently Jet burned Foster on a Texas route for a long TD. Matchup nightmare in the passing game.