AJ Green on current contract

Trrrroy

Reaction score
I have no problem with players wanting more cash. They're subjecting themselves to numerous long term injuries and are forced to retire in their 30's.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
Trrrroy":1df4kh1p said:
I have no problem with players wanting more cash. They're subjecting themselves to numerous long term injuries and are forced to retire in their 30's.

Yep. And if the players stop asking for more money, all that means is more money goes to the billionaire owners.

Jville

Reaction score
Thanks for posting :2thumbs:

..... Green's desire to play four years behind the expiration of his deal in 2019, nor the escalation of money at his position around the league, won’t propel him to the second level of Paul Brown Stadium to ask owner and president Mike Brown for a restructured contract.

“Nah,” he said with a smile. “At the end of the day he took care of me. I’m still under contract for the next two years and we’ll go from there.”

I remember a better time when a man's word was believable ...... a bond between men.

XxXdragonXxX":3j0pia4w said:
Trrrroy":3j0pia4w said:

Yep. And if the players stop asking for more money, all that means is more money goes to the billionaire owners.

^^^ I guess that pretty much dismisses any fan interest in constraining prices for tickets, concessions, television packages ect. to something reasonable. Since the two of you are so accommodating of higher prices and expense, please publish your billing address or better yet your credit card information for the rest of us to help compensate for ever escalating fan costs. :D

Please post your credit card information below ..... and you might want to raise your card limits to accommodate all your new found fans .... Thanks!

Trrrroy

Reaction score
There are a million variables related to cost, player salaries being a relatively small part because of the salary cap. Whether Earl Thomas gets paid or not the Seahawks will just move money around to other players and still be spending relatively the same amount due to the cap. So that argument doesn't really hold water.

Selfishly i would love for players to be content with their contracts because it's easier on the team. At the same time these guys are risking a ton and have very short careers. I'm not going to judge them for wanting more.

Jville

Reaction score
AJ Green reminds me of a better time when a man's word was his bond ....... and of a time when so many could actually trust one another. He sets a much needed example for community leadership.

chris98251

Reaction score
I was taught once you give up your Honor and not be true to your word then you have sold your self out and can never get that back.

A hand shake was as solid as a contract, your word was your bond, Honoring your promises is the moral foundation of a society, if you can do it or won't then don't give it, at least your being honest and maintain integrity.

I guess it's why we have so many damn laws and lawyers now also, nobody honors a contract or their word anymore. Problem is those Lawyers find ways to circumvent the intent of a persons word and or a contract also, they tend to represent the side with the most money.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
chris98251":35x4acpy said:
I was taught once you give up your Honor and not be true to your word then you have sold your self out and can never get that back.

A hand shake was as solid as a contract, your word was your bond, Honoring your promises is the moral foundation of a society, if you can do it or won't then don't give it, at least your being honest and maintain integrity.

I guess it's why we have so many damn laws and lawyers now also, nobody honors a contract or their word anymore. Problem is those Lawyers find ways to circumvent the intent of a persons word and or a contract also, they tend to represent the side with the most money.
Actually, we have so many laws now because all those honorable people back in the day took way worse advantage of people than they can get away with doing nowadays. Let's bring back those days of beating your wife being socially acceptable, coat hanger abortions, child labor, and many other things that were worse then than they are now.

adeltaY

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":37d0hmb7 said:
Jville":37d0hmb7 said:
AJ Green reminds me of a better time when a man's word was his bond ....... and of a time when so many could actually trust one another.
When was that?

Exactly. People have been lying and deceiving since the dawn of the species. "the good old days" weren't actually much better than today.

chris98251

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2z8u0vqy said:
chris98251":2z8u0vqy said:

Actually, we have so many laws now because all those honorable people back in the day took way worse advantage of people than they can get away with doing nowadays. Let's bring back those days of beating your wife being socially acceptable, coat hanger abortions, child labor, and many other things that were worse then than they are now.

Yea, drive by shootings, seperating families at borders, Police brutality, STD'S that you can't even name, wide spread drug addiction, wide spread homelessness, housing and basic needs priced out of ability to purchase for many, medical costs for life sustaining prescriptions and services only available to the rich.

Oh and child labor still exists those migrant workers have kids and they are not in schools many times, also our corporations off shore to places that have these children do the work for pennies but that's ok since it isn't right under our noses, coat hanger type abortions still exist because they are the only option in some areas, or are you really that naive?

If you had a disagreement with someone in the old days you stood up and defended it against one person, not a posse of guys.

Yeah things are so much better, at least people in general had ethics and a moral code.

chris98251

Reaction score
adeltaY":1t8itja4 said:
RolandDeschain":1t8itja4 said:
Jville":1t8itja4 said:
AJ Green reminds me of a better time when a man's word was his bond ....... and of a time when so many could actually trust one another.
When was that?

Exactly. People have been lying and deceiving since the dawn of the species. "the good old days" weren't actually much better than today.

So because some people do it it must be ok, glad I don't teach my kids those ethics. I am touchy about this and it may seem inflexible to some, but liars and theives are the lowest of lifeforms in my families history, for reasons I won't get into deeply but suffice it to say I have lost family members through history because they gave their word and would not compromise it to the mob, the law enforcement of some towns and some other situations.

adeltaY

Reaction score
I don't disagree with anything in your reply, I'm just saying the old days weren't more honorable. Social media has made things seem worse than ever because more people are exposed to bad behavior.

OP
OP
Thepeelsessions

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
Here's my take. It's becoming asinine how all these players are in a race to become the highest paid at their position, or the highest paid in league history (Odell Beckham). It's not like these superstars aren't set for life. Look at Julio. He's what, two years into a five year deal that, at the time when it was signed, was the highest paid at the position. Now he wants more, because he's sitting at number 4 in terms of position pay. It's disgusting how greedy these players are becoming. I like how AJ put it when he talks about not being able to keep up with the ever changing "highest paid moniker". Derek Carr became the highest paid QB ever a couple years ago, and he was only King for 3 weeks. Earlier this off-season it was Garopollo, then he was leapfrogged by Cousins, and now it's Matt Ryan who holds that sought after title. It's a popularity contest.

When Kam pulled his hold out, that was it for me. I've never been a fan of his since. At the time, he WAS the highest paid safety in the league. But he wanted more. He was being childish, selfish, and disrespectful. He put his importance over his team, and it cost them wins. All for society's greed.

What AJ is doing should be seen as a model. Work hard, contribute, be quiet, get paid. Don't piss and moan about the deal THAT YOU AGREED TO. Live with it until the team is ready to discuss an extension.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
For every NFL player that holds out before his contract expires there’s 49 players who get cut before their contracts expire.*

If the issue is about commitment and honoring deals than people would be up in arms about the 98% of the time that owners and GMs are acting with no honor or commitment. But they’re not. The only conclusion is that any claims about honor and commitment are a total farce.

*this is a low estimate. I’d guess it’s closer to several hundred to 1. The point is that if you truly believe respecting and honoring the commitments of deals is an issue and you’re focusing on the players you either haven’t thought this through, you’re wildly delusional, or this honor and commitment thing is for you just a fig leaf.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
Jville":27zs1m4e said:
Thanks for posting :2thumbs:

..... Green's desire to play four years behind the expiration of his deal in 2019, nor the escalation of money at his position around the league, won’t propel him to the second level of Paul Brown Stadium to ask owner and president Mike Brown for a restructured contract.

“Nah,” he said with a smile. “At the end of the day he took care of me. I’m still under contract for the next two years and we’ll go from there.”

I remember a better time when a man's word was believable ...... a bond between men.

XxXdragonXxX":27zs1m4e said:
Trrrroy":27zs1m4e said:

^^^ I guess that pretty much dismisses any fan interest in constraining prices for tickets, concessions, television packages ect. to something reasonable. Since the two of you are so accommodating of higher prices and expense, please publish your billing address or better yet your credit card information for the rest of us to help compensate for ever escalating fan costs. :D

Please post your credit card information below ..... and you might want to raise your card limits to accommodate all your new found fans .... Thanks!

Prices are based on demand. Lower the salary cap and ticket prices stay the same as long as fans keep buying them. Hell, if fans think the players are more "honorable" by taking less money, demand might even rise, causing ticket prices to rise even more. Carefull what yoy wish for. You want the players to be less greedy but dont give a shit about the owners and NFL execs being greedy.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Once you make a million dollars, you should be pretty set. Use half of it to buy a house and the other half to pay the property taxes the rest of your life. From there, you only need to make like 40k a year to have a nice car and feed yourself.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
fenderbender123":33wlbyzz said:
Once you make a million dollars, you should be pretty set. Use half of it to buy a house and the other half to pay the property taxes the rest of your life. From there, you only need to make like 40k a year to have a nice car and feed yourself.

I don’t know if you’re doing so intentionally, but you’re making a very strong argument for the redistribution of wealth.

If what it takes is a million, your issue isn’t a player making five million, it’s Paul Allen, who could with the snap of his finger make every single person who works for him set, and then pick another 20,000 random people of his choosing to make set too.

FWIW economists do a fair amount of research on the relationship between income and happiness. Last I saw up until 80-85 K more income associates with more happiness, but after that the relationship between incomes and happiness trails off and flatlines.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
If Paul Allen gave a bunch of money to a bunch of people, most of it would just wind back up in the hands of rich people.