Rams extend Gurley 4yr 60m

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1021813513751285760[/tweet]

Far and away the highest paid RB. Huge commitment.

Rambitious

Reaction score
homerun1970":35bn8hrm said:
With the move to L.A. the Rams were given a money press and a salary cap exemption it feels like.

Jealousy is so unbecoming. ;)
Good cap management.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
homerun1970":1nz2g3ur said:
With the move to L.A. the Rams were given a money press and a salary cap exemption it feels like.

We just randomly have $100 million in cap space the next few years. This extension doesn't kick in until next year (or maybe even the year after).

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
How are they going to afford all these contracts. I smell some behind closed doors crap going on. 15 mil a year for a RB? Hilarious. Good, keep overpaying. Give Donald 20 mil plus a year. No jealousy at all, just plain dumb to pay that much for a RB. Let alone the $ they threw at a guy who hasn't played a down with the team. Instead of paying Donald, who may be the best player in the game on D.

OP
OP
Coug_Hawk08

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Rambitious":3r9x5f1v said:
homerun1970":3r9x5f1v said:

Good cap management.

It’s premature to really say good cap management. You just have a cheap QB, that makes it easy for any team to make moves. It is also definitely easy to be a bit jealous of that time in the team building timeline, we were just there a couple years ago, so we remember what it was like. Gets harder paying one dude 25m, which Rams will deal with when they lock up Donald.

Rams are handing out lots of money right now, these guys have to prove they are worth it to show the Rams have done a nice job.

I mean you want to lock up Gurley, but this move is questionable, both from longevity and total value standpoint. Almost double the aav of the current highest RB contract. Not that Gurley isn’t a baller, it’s more the valuation of the position overall.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
This is probably a good investment.

Unfortunate news for us, but Gurley is a fantastic back that is going to do nothing but help that defense.

Now they will have him for a while. I know RBs have a short shelf life but 4 years is a reasonable amount of time to get his contract locked down.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Rambitious":3i18jpa8 said:
homerun1970":3i18jpa8 said:

Good cap management.
Bro, you've made 10 replies on this forum in the last year-and-a-half. Calm down.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Big numbers, but the Rams can afford it right now. Not only are they locking up Gurley, who is an exceptional talent, they're going to cause other teams to pay out the nose for their starting RBs or move on and gamble with young blood. This is setting the market for elite running backs and every single one is going to want $15MM+/year going forward.

Only way I see this coming back to bite them is if the RB market stays inflated and they have to pay big money when they don't want to, which will most likely be 4-5 years down the road.

I am QUITE envious of the state of the Rams franchise. Seemingly great coaches, a ridiculous amount of cap that was left over after the Fisher era passed, big names and great talent that they've been able to both hold onto and sign from elsewhere. They've got a lot going for them, I just hope their success can't sustain.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I'll be envious when they actually win a playoff game. Something they haven't done in a very long time........

homerun1970

Reaction score
They have cap space now when Goff, Donald, Suh, Etc come due 100 Million isnt going to stretch if they plan on doling out 15 to a rb plus Cooks 16 contract. The only envy is the rookie contract for a Qb but when they are due to be paid rather have Russ thanks.

Rambitious

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2ag4dqms said:
Rambitious":2ag4dqms said:
homerun1970":2ag4dqms said:

Good cap management.
Bro, you've made 10 replies on this forum in the last year-and-a-half. Calm down.

Calm down?? :D

Didn’t realize I was roused.

P.S. I have also contributed money to this forum too. 8)

Rambitious

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":18smh6iu said:
Rambitious":18smh6iu said:
homerun1970":18smh6iu said:

Good cap management.

It’s premature to really say good cap management. You just have a cheap QB, that makes it easy for any team to make moves. It is also definitely easy to be a bit jealous of that time in the team building timeline, we were just there a couple years ago, so we remember what it was like. Gets harder paying one dude 25m, which Rams will deal with when they lock up Donald.

Rams are handing out lots of money right now, these guys have to prove they are worth it to show the Rams have done a nice job.

I mean you want to lock up Gurley, but this move is questionable, both from longevity and total value standpoint. Almost double the aav of the current highest RB contract. Not that Gurley isn’t a baller, it’s more the valuation of the position overall.

Yep. All true.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Oof, it could definitely work out for them, but I honestly don't think RBs are worth that much these days. The benefit you get from Gurley over another good RB is worth it when you aren't paying your QB. Lynch was worth every penny and then some, but if it comes to a choice between paying him top dollar or Wilson, the choice is obvious.

I'm honestly surprised they didn't get a deal done with Donald first, he is WAY more valuable than Gurley. No slight on Todd, he seems like a respectful guy and is an awesome player, it's just positional value.

EDIT: just want to add that Gurley is a phenomenal receiver as well, that could factor in. He was just a monster on screen plays last year.

RedAlice

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":idcu0rix said:
I'll be envious when they actually win a playoff game. Something they haven't done in a very long time........

Very true.

Tho envious is not what I think you will feel when they do again.

adeltaY

Reaction score
RedAlice":3pxdkjhn said:
SoulfishHawk":3pxdkjhn said:

Very true.

Why would we not be envious? Unless you think we're winning more playoff games than the Rams?/

RedAlice

Reaction score
adeltaY":3twslbqn said:
Oof, it could definitely work out for them, but I honestly don't think RBs are worth that much these days. The benefit you get from Gurley over another good RB is worth it when you aren't paying your QB. Lynch was worth every penny and then some, but if it comes to a choice between paying him top dollar or Wilson, the choice is obvious.

I'm honestly surprised they didn't get a deal done with Donald first, he is WAY more valuable than Gurley. No slight on Todd, he seems like a respectful guy and is an awesome player, it's just positional value.

EDIT: just want to add that Gurley is a phenomenal receiver as well, that could factor in. He was just a monster on screen plays last year.

I know it’s the common response to put both the Cooks and Gurley contracts up against AD getting signed, but I don’t believe it is an either / or situation. It’s a whole dif negotiations situation with each of these players, and many specific details we are not privy to.

Couple things on Gurley, it’s a 6 year deal - a 4 year extension on his existing 2 years. The paradigm shift is the amount that is included in the guaranties, of such we do not know the details yet. It’s not guaranteed as keeps being stated, but rather has guaranties. Curious what that turns out to be. But whatever it is, it made him happy. From what I’ve read, if all goes well he will also be able to negotiate a favorable 3rd contract before it’s done.

I think a bit part is avoiding the situation Bell and the Steelers find themselves in now, with Bell perfectly ready to leave.

I fully believe Rams are working with AD on something that will work for both of them. As was pointed out on twitter today, signing Gurley also frees up the Franchise tag for next year should it be needed.

RedAlice

Reaction score
adeltaY":3e1o9xyy said:
RedAlice":3e1o9xyy said:
SoulfishHawk":3e1o9xyy said:

Very true.

Why would we not be envious? Unless you think we're winning more playoff games than the Rams?/

Oh, sorry! That was kinda specifically posted to Soulfish.

I think he will be mad and hateful, not envious. Just my opinion.