Agents Really Are Snakes

Str8OuttaSkittles

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/DavidMulugheta/status/1023273934815481856[/tweet]
this guy really rubs me the wrong way not only this but i seen a few tweets of his previously just in it for his percentage. love it if et3 stays but sick of this now

TriCHawk

Reaction score
I would assume that it's in the contract that teams can cut a player at any time, but it's not as if there's not repercussions to that.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Teams are required to pay agreed upon guarantees, including injury guarantees. For example, Kam Chancellor says he is “retired” but will still be paid tens of millions of dollars from the salary cap over the next two seasons.

Most people are at-will employees who can be fired for any lawful reason. Most people will make significantly less in their lifetimes than the top players make for a single game.

I’m in favor of protecting the players. But you have to have some reasonable perspective.

OP
OP
Str8OuttaSkittles

Str8OuttaSkittles

Reaction score
TriCHawk":31kapr37 said:
I would assume that it's in the contract that teams can cut a player at any time, but it's not as if there's not repercussions to that.
what annoys me is most of these agents grab non fully guaranteed to get a big portion upfront then cry when this stuff happens. earl gets fined what like 40k a day for missing training man im lucky earning that a year

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
This is what he comes out with after all this time? Complaining about the current reality? This is pathetic.

Offer something more than whining to the conversation. It’s not even a tactic in negotion, it’s just being a B.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
People get tunnel vision very easily in most professions. It’s hard for people to have empathy for the other side.

The salary cap is a necessary evil that teams have to work under. More money spent on a player, who is not contributing, lowers that team’s ability to be competitive.

chris98251

Reaction score
You sign a contract every time you take a job with a Employer, when I hired on I wanted to grow and enhance my career and the companies I work for agree to that, I agreed to use my skills and knowledge to make them profitable within my responsibilities. Now comes the quarter report, I performed above expectations, the company did not, they lay me off not giving me a chance to enhance and grow my career, The person making the decisions about product, and deployment of technology blew it, yet he is still there, and I am not.

You think I can file a lawsuit for breach of contract, not likely.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
It doesn't really compare to a regular job, though. You don't "sign a contract every time you take a job with a Employer", at best you have an implied agreement that if you continue to show up and work hard you won't get fired for cause today. If you sign a contract with a company to provide a service for a certain period of time for a certain amount of money, then BOTH sides are obligated to follow that contract through to the end or get sued by the other party for breach of contract. The players are right, in the NFL that obligation only goes one way. Of course it's their own fault for allowing that in the union contract, so there's that.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Guaranteed contracts could certainly work in the NFL but what I don't think the players or the agent realized is that the pay would go down dramarically.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
I just don’t get why guys sign 3-4 extensions and then get butt hurt when they’re no longer the top paid at their position. Everybody knows the salary cap is increasing every year, everybody knows the next top player at each position is going to make more than the last. Shit keeps going up, so don’t sign a contract for 4 years unless you’re willing to play for the money you agreed to.

If you don’t want to play this game, sign 1-2 year deals and bet on yourself. You keep proving your worth, you can keep negotiation a top salary. I love Earl and some of these other guys that have held out, but they’re in the wrong and it’s getting tiring to see the same “bUt TeAmS cAn CuT a PlAyEr At AnYtImE, iTs NoT fAiR” bs. The ability to cut a player is literally in their contracts as well. It’s not uncommon for a player to get cut and the team remain on the hook for the majority (or at least guaranteed portion) of the contract.

chris98251

Reaction score
HawkGA":1zi9mvle said:
Guarnateed contracts could certainly work in the NFL but what I don't think the players or the agent realized is that the pay would go down dramarically.

Basketball is not a collision sport and that whole system is one of bait and switch crap, they trade half a team it seems at times to move money around.

NFL, they may get a guarantee, but as you stated short contract, these are guys running into each other for a job, money may be less as well as their bonus's. You don't get both, you want a guarantee then you give up the bonus and length or something along those lines. Free Agent market every year would be a feeding frenzy as well, there would be no continuity on teams.

Greed and over value of a players own ability is going to destroy the balance of the league, the reason Football is so popular in many cases is every team can have hope from year to year based on the team and talent in the front office and coaching. They start messing with that balance in some way the system will get broken and may never recover.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
He's not wrong.

Last year the salary cap was 167 million.

From the TV deal each team got 256 million.

You can net out player salares from just the TV deal alone and that's still 90 million dollars for the owners before you factor in ANYTHING ELSE, which is just printing money without any labor expenses: tickets, parking, luxury suites, food, hats, jerseys, shirts, bumper stickers, etc., etc.

Fans have somehow deluded themselves into thinking that player salaries have ANYTHING TO DO WITH the cost of attending a game, parking, buying food, etc.

It's just complete and total nonsense.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2nfwng2z said:
He's not wrong.

Last year the salary cap was 167 million.

From the TV deal each team got 256 million.

You can net out player salares from just the TV deal alone and that's still 90 million dollars for the owners before you factor in ANYTHING ELSE, which is just printing money without any labor expenses: tickets, parking, luxury suites, food, hats, jerseys, shirts, bumper stickers, etc., etc.

Fans have somehow deluded themselves into thinking that player salaries have ANYTHING TO DO WITH the cost of attending a game, parking, buying food, etc.

It's just complete and total nonsense.

Yes but many NFL fans are only mad at the players for being greedy smh. If them being so much richer than a normal person means they should take less money or not fight for a better contract then what about the owners? Couldn't they lower ticket prices since they have so much money?

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Steve2222":3kgp3epu said:
I mean, he’s right...
Poor guys! I really feel for them having to play a game for millions of dollars at the risk of being cut and only paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to do nothing. Our LEO, Military, Fire & Rescue, construction, etc, have it so much easier than professional athletes do while performing their cushy unimportant jobs .... :sarcasm_off:

adeltaY

Reaction score
brimsalabim":3lk2fo6p said:
Steve2222":3lk2fo6p said:
I mean, he’s right...
Poor guys! I really feel for them having to play a game for millions of dollars at the risk of being cut and only paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to do nothing. Our LEO, Military, Fire & Rescue, construction, etc, have it so much easier than professional athletes do while performing their cushy unimportant jobs .... :sarcasm_off:

Or at the risk of being paralyzed like Shazier?

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
adeltaY":e2lqkjnk said:
Or at the risk of being paralyzed like Shazier?
I find the risk-to-body argument to be specious. As Brim pointed out, members of the armed forces risk death and dismemberment for peanuts as far as salary is concerned, and significantly worse benefits. You don't see them trying to blackmail Uncle Sam for more money, lol.

Football players know the risks many years before they enter the NFL, especially nowadays.

The "we put our bodies on the line" argument from any professional athlete is ridiculous, IMO.