Off the wall idea

mrt144

Reaction score
So we've had a little person play in the MLB to work the strike zone, there's been speculation about putting a sumo wrestler in a hockey goal but now, we come to getting a really tall dude to block XPs and FGs. Are you telling Manute Bol or Yao Ming or some other giant of a man couldn't somehow rake in the blocked kicks if that was his solitary role? I'd have to work out the geometry but I think the opportunity is worth taking at practice one day. Invite some of the tallest NBA players to take a crack at blocking kicks. See how they do over 100 or so.

Who else is down with this wacky idea? Just to see what happens?

sutz

Reaction score
Sounds like a waste of a precious roster spot.

:229031_shrug:

OP
OP
M

mrt144

Reaction score
sutz":2hdunzvi said:
Sounds like a waste of a precious roster spot.

:229031_shrug:

Well that's why you do a test run with special guests. :lol:

And seriously at what % of blocked kicks would you consider it? 25% doesn't sound huge but man, that would in fact be pretty significant relative to current average. With 2 TDs and 3 FGs thats an average 2 pt difference at 25% given 4 kicks. This doesn't even speak to what happens on the block kicks where it's mostly good things for the defense, either drive ends or they recover it and get excellent field position.

At 50% you'd consider it, right?

Interesting wrinkle - what if you became so proficient at blocking kicks on the regular that teams altered their strategy against you to the point that the value provided was nulled by teams being more aggressive on 4th down and getting more points as a result?

I need to see this reality.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
mrt144":27enxqed said:
So we've had a little person play in the MLB to work the strike zone, there's been speculation about putting a sumo wrestler in a hockey goal but now, we come to getting a really tall dude to block XPs and FGs. Are you telling Manute Bol or Yao Ming or some other giant of a man couldn't somehow rake in the blocked kicks if that was his solitary role? I'd have to work out the geometry but I think the opportunity is worth taking at practice one day. Invite some of the tallest NBA players to take a crack at blocking kicks. See how they do over 100 or so.

Manute Bol's reanimated corpse trying to block a field goal? Count me in.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Seanhawk":2f1qembf said:
mrt144":2f1qembf said:

Manute Bol's reanimated corpse trying to block a field goal? Count me in.
A reanimated corpse of Wilt Chamberlain would be my choice.
He had world class leaping abilty to go with the 7:3 height and was super
strong @300 lbs..I would also use him in the red zone just to snatch td's
one handed easily.There is no safety or CB in present or past that is
moving this guy from the spot he stands.

chris98251

Reaction score
You don't need a 7 footer, there are plenty of TE's and WR 6'5 or taller, it's timing the jump, the trajectory typically is only a few feet above the line at the kick, really wonder why nobody has tried to use a block strategy like that, may be one of those things that is easier said then done.

DJrmb

Reaction score
One issue I see with this is that if your 7 footer actually did have some sort of success the opposing team would just prioritize hitting him low every time and chopping him down.

OP
OP
M

mrt144

Reaction score
chris98251":1ykq6uwe said:
You don't need a 7 footer, there are plenty of TE's and WR 6'5 or taller, it's timing the jump, the trajectory typically is only a few feet above the line at the kick, really wonder why nobody has tried to use a block strategy like that, may be one of those things that is easier said then done.

Perhaps it is easier said than done. That's why we need to test it at the limits and pare our way down.