Rodgers Signs Monster Extension

adeltaY

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1034854415814012934[/tweet]

Good for the man, it's a pleasure to watch him play.

This sets the bar for RW's next contract.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Be interesting to see what the actual numbers are. Never trust the first set that come out because the journalist is trying to make as big a splash as he can.

Trrrroy

Reaction score
Worth every penny. I can't help but wonder when these contracts will hit their ceiling, though. I mean, it seems like the the price of top players is increasing faster than the cap is increasing. It seems to me the market isn't going to be able to keep this every-new-contract-is-a-record-contract pace.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Cyrus12":38xkwxrg said:
Good to see. Hope it thins out the rest of the talent they can pay around him....

The other way to look at it is that the only people celebrating this deal anywhere as close to Rodgers and his agent are Russ Wilson and his agent.

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
$80 million by March. That comes to approximately $400,000.00 a day. I just can't fathom how we the public have contributed to allowing an athlete to get paid that much.

Who's next? Brees? Half a mil a day?

OP
OP
A

adeltaY

Reaction score
MD5eahawks":20r0upov said:
$80 million by March. That comes to approximately $400,000.00 a day. I just can't fathom how we the public have contributed to allowing an athlete to get paid that much.

Plenty of wealthy businessmen make more. I don't get why we judge athletes more harshly than them?

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
adeltaY":297vf4q2 said:
MD5eahawks":297vf4q2 said:

Plenty of wealthy businessmen make more. I don't get why we judge athletes more harshly than them?
The world isn't salary capped. The NFL is; plus, those that pay the salaries of NFL players (the fans) are negatively impacted by excessive greed through rising ticket/food costs, less money to spend on a more balanced team, etc.

Not a very comparable analogy, IMO.

chris98251

Reaction score
1. The signing bonus is $57.5 million. (The prior record was $50 million, set by Matthew Stafford.)
2. Through the end of the 2018 season, Rodgers will earn $66.9 million.
3. Through March 2019, he’ll earn $80.8 million.
4. Through the 2019 season, he’ll earn $81.9 million.
5. Through the 2020 season, he’ll earn $103 million.
6. Through the 2021 season, he’ll earn $125 million.
7. Through the 2022 season, he’ll earn $150.5 million.
8. Through the 2023 season, he’ll earn $176 million.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/08/29/inside-the-aaron-rodgers-deal/

HawkGA

Reaction score
Trrrroy":14sil7jm said:
Worth every penny. I can't help but wonder when these contracts will hit their ceiling, though. I mean, it seems like the the price of top players is increasing faster than the cap is increasing. It seems to me the market isn't going to be able to keep this every-new-contract-is-a-record-contract pace.

Good question. Presumably this should be easy enough to find. Lots of good umber analysis could be done by people working for different sports publications.

Sadly, the amount of real news reporting from this rags seems to be declining.

OP
OP
A

adeltaY

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3v9cb4id said:
adeltaY":3v9cb4id said:
MD5eahawks":3v9cb4id said:

The world isn't salary capped. The NFL is; plus, those that pay the salaries of NFL players (the fans) are negatively impacted by excessive greed through rising ticket/food costs, less money to spend on a more balanced team, etc.

Not a very comparable analogy, IMO.

But he wasn't talking about it in the context of the cap, he was making a statement about athletes being overpaid point blank and that's what I disagree with. Maybe actors earning tens of millions per movie is a better example since both are entertainment. Rising ticket and food prices are down to the owners more than the players.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3cbgwpqv said:
Cyrus12":3cbgwpqv said:
Good to see. Hope it thins out the rest of the talent they can pay around him....

The other way to look at it is that the only people celebrating this deal anywhere as close to Rodgers and his agent are Russ Wilson and his agent.
:ditto:

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
adeltaY":2sjnqq1t said:
MD5eahawks":2sjnqq1t said:

Because they play a game. They really don’t bring anything useful to the lives of the people that contribute to their “salary”.

mikeak

Reaction score
chris98251":t36gbncf said:
1. The signing bonus is $57.5 million. (The prior record was $50 million, set by Matthew Stafford.)
2. Through the end of the 2018 season, Rodgers will earn $66.9 million.
3. Through March 2019, he’ll earn $80.8 million.
4. Through the 2019 season, he’ll earn $81.9 million.
5. Through the 2020 season, he’ll earn $103 million.
6. Through the 2021 season, he’ll earn $125 million.
7. Through the 2022 season, he’ll earn $150.5 million.
8. Through the 2023 season, he’ll earn $176 million.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/08/29/inside-the-aaron-rodgers-deal/

Thanks for showing how is severely underpaid from March 2019 to end of 2019 season :)

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
MD5eahawks":2su6l0kj said:
adeltaY":2su6l0kj said:
MD5eahawks":2su6l0kj said:

Because they play a game. They really don’t bring anything useful to the lives of the people that contribute to their “salary”.

If they dont contribute anything usefull, then why do millioms of people continue to buy tickets and jerseys to watch them play?

Nobody is forcing anyone to contribute to their salaries, yet people continue to do it. Maybe because people enjoy watching sports. I guess joy isnt considered usefull though?

And nobody ever complains about the billionaire owners who contribute far more to the rising ticket prices.

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
XxXdragonXxX":1muj4url said:
MD5eahawks":1muj4url said:
adeltaY":1muj4url said:
MD5eahawks":1muj4url said:

If they dont contribute anything usefull, then why do millioms of people continue to buy tickets and jerseys to watch them play?

Nobody is forcing anyone to contribute to their salaries, yet people continue to do it. Maybe because people enjoy watching sports. I guess joy isnt considered usefull though?

And nobody ever complains about the billionaire owners who contribute far more to the rising ticket prices.
My comments do not compare nor complain about wealthy people in other areas of society. That would be a whole different, and political if you will, discussion.

My complaint is that, we as fans and the ‘public’ continue to pay the prices that drive salaries up to these levels. Face it, it is a GAME. They are merely there for entertainment purposes. Nothing more. Which brings it to NOTHING USEFUL.

As for the “why do millions...”, well listen carefully to those millions when you Spend your money around this sport. Not one single person will be skippin to the do-da about paying those prices. NOT ONE. They know we like the sport enough but it will ultimately be the undoing.

As for me, yeah I pay just like you. And that is what I can’t fathom. Why? Why do we pay these prices?

Mindsink

Reaction score
MD5eahawks":di5snczl said:
As for me, yeah I pay just like you. And that is what I can’t fathom. Why? Why do we pay these prices?

Because these players are USEFUL to adding value to your life. Why would you pay money for something that is useless to you?

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Mindsink":h9sucxzw said:
MD5eahawks":h9sucxzw said:

Because these players are USEFUL to adding value to your life. Why would you pay money for something that is useless to you?

Because they are a grave distraction for the every day point of living. If you had a dozen other different distractions, then Football would mean not too much. Frozen fishing is a great distraction. Reading a great book is a distraction. Learning a new trade is a distraction. For me, going to my shop and playing with my lathe and other wood tooling would be a great distraction...and will be again soon. At this time, Hunting is a great distraction for the friends of mine in the mountains. Steelhead fishing is on the way in a month and a half. But I got 2 games planned...Detroit where I have never been and Az where I have been a few times. Distractions, and a new place to visit to learn about our great nation. Historical sites to visit to learn about our heritage. Another distraction. Movies...another distraction.

So You see from my point of view, it is about distraction from boredom and other work related things. We pay for it so that we may enjoy it as a different thing from normal life.