Bridgewater to Saints

Gio

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1034872921070678021[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1034878496638754816[/tweet]

MrThortan

Reaction score
Brees signed a 2 year deal earlier this year and is 39. Teddy has looked decent this preseason. I think there is still some concerns about his injury as this is his first full season back. Would consider him a high value backup for the year at least. He is only under contract for one year, so it will be interesting what they do with him in the 2019 season. Wish him success

IronSaint

Reaction score
I'm happy with the acquisition, just wish it were for a 4th or lower. We already don't have a 1st and now a 3rd round pick for next year so our first pick will be in the 2nd round (hopefully 64th overall :lol:) and then won't pick again until the 4th.

But I'm very relieved now about our back-up QB situation. Taysom Hill has been hot and cold (hot against the Jaguars and Chargers, cold against the Cardinals) and Tom Savage is now referred to as "Tom Sewage" amongst my friends, so that gives you an idea on how that's going.

While Hill hasn't been atrocious, he's also been a stud special teamer for us so he would've likely made our 53 even before this move, I'm just relieved we won't be rolling with him as the #2 AND playing special teams because if he gets dinged on special teams then Brees goes down, we'd really have been screwed. Now we'll have a competent back-up and Hill can continue to progress and kick *** on special teams in the mean time. :irishdrinkers:

xkj1985x

Reaction score
I'm admittedly confused by this deal. Teddy is only signed on a one year deal meanwhile Brees has two years left on his deal (2018 and 2019) and if I am looking at it correctly, Brees is uncuttable after this year with his dead cap in 2019 being 21M.

Are they hoping Bridgewater is going to sign a long term extension but be okay sitting behind Brees until 2020 or???

GeekHawk

Reaction score
xkj1985x":2ikoprhx said:
I'm admittedly confused by this deal. Teddy is only signed on a one year deal meanwhile Brees has two years left on his deal (2018 and 2019) and if I am looking at it correctly, Brees is uncuttable after this year with his dead cap in 2019 being 21M.

Are they hoping Bridgewater is going to sign a long term extension but be okay sitting behind Brees until 2020 or???

I think this. Along with "is he going to fully recover from the knee?", so they're hedging their bet with a 1-year deal to start.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
xkj1985x":y2xd1j8l said:

Yea I don't get this for the Saints, at all. Has to be more about the future than the present given the 3rd round pick - but Bridgewater is just going to sit for two years?

Has Brees ever missed a game with the Saints due to injury??

Bizarre.

Boycie

Reaction score
This is a move for the future. Teddy was a pretty good starter and they obviously feel like he could be the heir apparent after Brees is done. They probably feel that a 3rd rounder now for a know starter is a good deal down the road.

iigakusei

Reaction score
I don't get this deal for the Saints either.
Bridgewater will be gone after this year to a QB needy team with the chance to be a starter.

xkj1985x

Reaction score
Ramfan128":26vzvwdq said:
xkj1985x":26vzvwdq said:

He missed one game in 2015...I believe that's it.

Ace_Rimmer":26vzvwdq said:
This is a move for the future. Teddy was a pretty good starter and they obviously feel like he could be the heir apparent after Brees is done. They probably feel that a 3rd rounder now for a know starter is a good deal down the road.

I get it being a future move but with such a massive cap number with Brees next year, they aren't going to be able to pay Teddy much more than a backup salary next year.

You'd think there will be at least a few teams interested in him as a starter next year who will pay him much more than the Saints will be able to.

Maybe not...just seems weird with no club control beyond this season where pending injury, he won't play a snap.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Jags are complete idiots for not picking up Teddy 2 gloves. No way in hell they win a Superbowl w/Bortles.

Boycie

Reaction score
xkj1985x":arsaxi1v said:
Ramfan128":arsaxi1v said:
xkj1985x":arsaxi1v said:

He missed one game in 2015...I believe that's it.

Ace_Rimmer":arsaxi1v said:

I get it being a future move but with such a massive cap number with Brees next year, they aren't going to be able to pay Teddy much more than a backup salary next year.

You'd think there will be at least a few teams interested in him as a starter next year who will pay him much more than the Saints will be able to.

Maybe not...just seems weird with no club control beyond this season where pending injury, he won't play a snap.

That's also a possibility too.

adeltaY

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3g2muuj8 said:
Jags are complete idiots for not picking up Teddy 2 gloves. No way in hell they win a Superbowl w/Bortles.

Yet their fans are SUPER defensive if anyone says this. They believe in Bortles LOL. Hope it comes crashing down around them this season. Shame because I like the defense.