Richard Sherman....

sc85sis

Reaction score
I never had an issue with Richard going to the 49ers. Once Seattle let him go he was free to do whatever he felt was best for his career.

My issue with him relates to his blow-ups on the sideline and the comments he’s made since signing with San Francisco (prior to this article). He broke rules one and two. He may have felt he was justified, but he still broke those rules (especially the second one).

In my opinion, that combined with his injury, age and salary cap are why Seattle cut him—not because they don’t care or didn’t want him. It just wasn’t feasible with the circumstances at the time. They have to think of the entire team. Sometimes that really sucks for individual players, and their fans.

I wish him the best, as long as he’s not playing the Hawks.

chris98251

Reaction score
This is where you separate the gamesmanship from the person, pretty honest appraisal of the situation in my eyes, Seahawks looked at it as a business decision, so did Sherman, both sides were straight up about it, the only problem was the amount of money and the risk, 49ers took it and the Seahawks didn't want to and understandably so given the recent contracts with guys that have got hurt after signing one such as Richard did.

His appreciation of his time and the team and fans is well noted. I wish him well and hope a 100 percent comeback for him.

Marvin49

Reaction score
chris98251":3k5o6evy said:
This is where you separate the gamesmanship from the person, pretty honest appraisal of the situation in my eyes, Seahawks looked at it as a business decision, so did Sherman, both sides were straight up about it, the only problem was the amount of money and the risk, 49ers took it and the Seahawks didn't want to and understandably so given the recent contracts with guys that have got hurt after signing one such as Richard did.

His appreciation of his time and the team and fans is well noted. I wish him well and hope a 100 percent comeback for him.

It should also be noted that the 49ers are in a very different position financially than the Seahawks and a seasoned vet like him is much more valuable to them because they didn't at the time have that leadership in the Locker Room. The Seahawks have a number of vets a very different cap situation.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Trans am wheel arch nostrils is dead to me. Drama Queen.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I admit that I was tired of the drama queens in our locker room too but I’m also equally tired of the teenage gossip girls we apparently have working in the office who constantly leak everything. That was awful timing to release that info to press.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1lxqr0bd said:
He's long gone, move on.

He's one of the best players to ever wear a Seahawks uniform and has been "long gone" for all of zero official games yet.

I think people may still want to discuss him.

My only issues with Sherman was the jabbering when he got to SF. I know it's his personality, but he sincere "business" approach to his cut by the Seahawks, he did not hesitate to continue to blow on a smoldering fire.

Hopefully that has passed everyone by, both parties can get going on the present and Sherman will be welcomed back as a Ring of Honor inductee in the future

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Love Sherman, and wish the best for him. Hopefully we know his quirks better than he knows Wilson's, and we can capitalize on our knowledge better than he can his.

I don't get the "talk to me in 3 years" about the contract. The quality of a contract isn't judged retrospectively, you have to look at the current situation, and all the possibilities, and see how the contract protects the different parties.

Sherman is gambling on himself, but built in some protections. Looks like a great contract for both sides, to me. If he blows out an Achilles this year, and never plays again, that doesn't mean it was a bad contract, just a bad gamble. If he plays out the full value of the contract, that doesn't mean it was a good contract, just a good gamble.

ivotuk

Reaction score
sc85sis":lgtleb9m said:
I never had an issue with Richard going to the 49ers. Once Seattle let him go he was free to do whatever he felt was best for his career.

My issue with him relates to his blow-ups on the sideline and the comments he’s made since signing with San Francisco (prior to this article). He broke rules one and two. He may have felt he was justified, but he still broke those rules (especially the second one).

In my opinion, that combined with his injury, age and salary cap are why Seattle cut him—not because they don’t care or didn’t want him. It just wasn’t feasible with the circumstances at the time. They have to think of the entire team. Sometimes that really sucks for individual players, and their fans.

I wish him the best, as long as he’s not playing the Hawks.

My thoughts exactly! And what Chris said too. Will always love Sherman, but his blow up appeared like he was putting himself above the team, and I hated that. Will always appreciate him though.

AND, Pete Carroll gave him the chances no other team would, at least so early. Same goes for Kam Chancellor. Both would have been great, but Pete allowed them to be at their best, and gave them the opportunity to succeed early on. Other coaches may have held them back because of their draft position.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3bwqs22j said:
SoulfishHawk":3bwqs22j said:
He's long gone, move on.

He's one of the best players to ever wear a Seahawks uniform and has been "long gone" for all of zero official games yet.

I think people may still want to discuss him.

My only issues with Sherman was the jabbering when he got to SF. I know it's his personality, but he sincere "business" approach to his cut by the Seahawks, he did not hesitate to continue to blow on a smoldering fire.

Hopefully that has passed everyone by, both parties can get going on the present and Sherman will be welcomed back as a Ring of Honor inductee in the future

So that is where the fires were this year. Someone blowing smoke up a lot of peoples......THingy. :stirthepot: :rumble:

OkieHawk

Reaction score
Good read, and nice to hear his side of the story. I wish him no ill will as he will always be one of my favorite Hawk players.

chris98251

Reaction score
Sherman is the Gary Payton of Football in Seattle, I loved Gary's passion and he backed it up on the court as Sherman does on the Field. Both are passionate competitors that know how to push other players buttons as well as the fan base. Combine the Ultra competitiveness of them and a situation that they feel is not held accountable and sparks and tempers flair. Gary it was Wally Walker and Sherm it was Bevell and Cable.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
bigskydoc":30ofssvr said:
Love Sherman, and wish the best for him. Hopefully we know his quirks better than he knows Wilson's, and we can capitalize on our knowledge better than he can his.

I don't get the "talk to me in 3 years" about the contract. The quality of a contract isn't judged retrospectively, you have to look at the current situation, and all the possibilities, and see how the contract protects the different parties.

Sherman is gambling on himself, but built in some protections. Looks like a great contract for both sides, to me. If he blows out an Achilles this year, and never plays again, that doesn't mean it was a bad contract, just a bad gamble. If he plays out the full value of the contract, that doesn't mean it was a good contract, just a good gamble.
That's true of most contracts, though, isn't it? The only real exceptions are quarterback contracts and MVP caliber player contracts.

Latest posts