So what in the world is happening with the Raiders?

mrt144

Reaction score
I think I'm all caught up to speed on the Khalil Mack trade but can anyone explain what Gruden is doing? It seems like instead of going full speed ahead and trying to make a push to the playoffs he's rebuilding the team to, I don't know, get guys he likes in there? I like a good NFL intrigue and this seems like it's going to be a very 'intriguing' season for the Raiders.

I've said it a few times here but I think Gruden is going to bomb. And the recent going ons aren't shaking that from me.

So what's up with the Raiders?

kobebryant

Reaction score
With the job security that that contract gives him I think him and Mark Davis are planning for Vegas.

The folks in Oakland, and Marshawn too, have every right to be pissed that they've decide not to field the most competitive team possible in their remaining time in Oakland.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
kobebryant":157s3bir said:
With the job security that that contract gives him I think him and Mark Davis are planning for Vegas.

The folks in Oakland, and Marshawn too, have every right to be pissed that they've decide not to field the most competitive team possible in their remaining time in Oakland.

That explains hiring Cable.

chris98251

Reaction score
They have the Oldest Roster in the league right now, Oakland is filing an Anti Trust Case against them as well, hard to make that stick since the Raiders have given them a lot of time to come up with a finance a new stadium solution however. Gruden is seemingly going with Vets everywhere now and setting up money for the future in Vegas.

This will be a mess soon with all the moving parts, when the team starts to implode there could be fire.

Fade

Reaction score
I like what Jon Gruden is doing. Seriously not joking.

The Raiders defense was garbage with Khalil Mack. So there was no point in paying him, if you can get a king's ransom in return. And they did.

They can now rebuild their defense with FOUR 1st rd picks over the next two years. $60-70M in cap space next off-season to spread around to some vets. Individually none of these acquisitions will be better than Mack, but collectively they will be a much, much better team. This move will allow them to contend for years to come.

Belichick trades overpriced players all the time and no one bats an eye. The Pats traded Chandler Jones to AZ for much less, and Jones has totaled more sacks than anyone since moving to AZ. AZ has sucked, NE has been going to Superbowls.

Casuals will overreact negatively to this trade. Sort of how the casual media & public is overreacting to the Seahawks losing a bunch of big name washed up defenders this off-season that hardly contributed last year anyway. Save for Bennett he is the only legit loss to the defense, but even he was trending downward, and was a locker room problem.

Tom Cable is the only worry I have for the Raiders. The quicker they fire him the better.

Khalil Mack Trade Grade

Raiders: A-
Bears: B-

adeltaY

Reaction score
What is the likelihood the two first round picks have the same impact as Mack though? You can say four first round picks in two years, but they would have two of those anyway so that's irrelevant to the Mack trade. Mack is a DPoY and top 5 defensive player in the league. Their defense sucked with him, as many defenses do even with star players. Losing him will not make the defense better, and even if it improves, it would've been much better had he stayed. Three or however many decent players they sign with that cap space/draft picks does not equal the impact of one All-pro player, especially a pass rusher.

The Patriots missed Chandler Jones dearly in the past SB - they had zero pass rush and Foles destroyed them. The picks they got for Jones turned into diddly squat. Also, the Pats have a system that works well for them, mostly because of BB and Brady. The Raiders don't have a QB close to Brady's level, nor has Gruden shown to be near Belichick-tier. I doubt this will work out for them.

OP
OP
M

mrt144

Reaction score
Fade":3b39beal said:

The Raiders defense was garbage with Khalil Mack. So there was no point in paying him, if you can get a king's ransom in return. And they did.

They can now rebuild their defense with FOUR 1st rd picks over the next two years. $60-70M in cap space next off-season to spread around to some vets. Individually none of these acquisitions will be better than Mack, but collectively they will be a much, much better team. This move will allow them to contend for years to come.

Belichick trades overpriced players all the time and no one bats an eye. The Pats traded Chandler Jones to AZ for much less, and Jones has totaled more sacks than anyone since moving to AZ. AZ has sucked, NE has been going to Superbowls.

Casuals will overreact negatively to this trade. Sort of how the casual media & public is overreacting to the Seahawks losing a bunch of big name washed up defenders this off-season that hardly contributed last year anyway. Save for Bennett he is the only legit loss to the defense, but even he was trending downward, and was a locker room problem.

Tom Cable is the only worry I have for the Raiders. The quicker they fire him the better.

Khalil Mack Trade Grade

So our contrarian indicator is working. :p

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I think what they're doing is smart. Give zero "craps" about the team before the move to Vegas and set yourself up for success as much as possible starting once you're there. Build all the future draft capital and spare cap space you can, come out with a competitive team or close to it in your first season in Vegas, and $ucce$$.

getnasty

Reaction score
Fade":36a0swen said:

Khalil Mack Trade Grade

I agree with this. People forget not only did Chicago have to part with picks they also had to pay a ton of money for Mack.

Fade

Reaction score
getnasty":1nb8f82w said:
I agree with this. People forget not only did Chicago have to part with picks they also had to pay a ton of money for Mack.
As quick as the CHI fanbase is celebrating this move, the GM better pray Mack stays healthy, or that same fanbase will be calling for his head. It is foolish to pay a defensive player this much money & give up two 1st rdrs.

I still give them a B- though because Mack is really good, but still that is a lot of assets to forego for one non-QB player.

hawxfreak

Reaction score
This could go either way for them but it's the kind of thing pete did when he came here
The question is , is there GM up to the challenge
If not then it still could hit on one or two good players or squat but if so it will be the beginning of a winning mentality
It's the new way to buck the old standard and the way things are done right because of a salary cap
If the bears get a QB that commands top dollars they're screwed everywhere else so that means from now on they can really only field a great team with a fantastic rookie QB
Too much for one non QB player as we've seen before
Pass rush has to be from all sides not just one guy getting older so churn churn churn that roster

uncle fester

Reaction score
There’s a lot of talk centered around the four First Round picks in two years being a win in this trade.

This is the Raiders.

They have bombed on every single First Round pick in the last fifteen years, outside of Mack. Those who weren’t outright busts went on to be, at best, stunningly mediocre.

Yes, those picks weren’t all the work of one GM, but the trend hasn’t changed with McKenzie so to think it will suddenly improve with the change of an area code is perhaps a tad optimistic, don’t you think?

OP
OP
M

mrt144

Reaction score
uncle fester":1yjffblq said:
There’s a lot of talk centered around the four First Round picks in two years being a win in this trade.

This is the Raiders.

They have bombed on every single First Round pick in the last fifteen years, outside of Mack. Those who weren’t outright busts went on to be, at best, stunningly mediocre.

Yes, those picks weren’t all the work of one GM, but the trend hasn’t changed with McKenzie so to think it will suddenly improve with the change of an area code is perhaps a tad optimistic, don’t you think?

It's like the Cloud of Brown. It just looms over the organization, punching them in the groin every turn.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
As much as I think Gruden may be the most overrated coach in the history of the NFL, I can understand his logic in not wanting to pay Mack crazy 22M a year type of money.

That means between Carr and Mack, you've got over 40M of your cap tied up in two players...............AND if you're not convinced that you're in the mix to win a SB, why commit to that much salary.

If you believe in your scouting, McKenzie and your coaches to use the two #1's wisely to reload and go into moving to Vegas with a strong young nucleus to compete for the next 4-5 years? Then it's a good trade.

Everyone's all over Gruden, but very rarely does this type of trade work out for the team that overpays for the player. So we'll see how the Bears do this year, and over the next two without a first round pick.

OP
OP
M

mrt144

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":bp8s1qq8 said:
As much as I think Gruden may be the most overrated coach in the history of the NFL, I can understand his logic in not wanting to pay Mack crazy 22M a year type of money.

That means between Carr and Mack, you've got over 40M of your cap tied up in two players...............AND if you're not convinced that you're in the mix to win a SB, why commit to that much salary.

If you believe in your scouting, McKenzie and your coaches to use the two #1's wisely to reload and go into moving to Vegas with a strong young nucleus to compete for the next 4-5 years? Then it's a good trade.

Everyone's all over Gruden, but very rarely does this type of trade work out for the team that overpays for the player. So we'll see how the Bears do this year, and over the next two without a first round pick.

The way I look at it, the Bears are still gonna be that mishmash of 'wut?!' with or without Mack. It's the Raiders perspectives and motives that I just can't reconcile as easily. I do appreciate the responses to the thread though for giving me perspective though.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
mrt144":3v6p120u said:
Sgt. Largent":3v6p120u said:

The way I look at it, the Bears are still gonna be that mishmash of 'wut?!' with or without Mack. It's the Raiders perspectives and motives that I just can't reconcile as easily. I do appreciate the responses to the thread though for giving me perspective though.

For sure, it doesn't make any sense from the Bears side. They're still in rebuild mode, and have no idea if Trubisky is even a good starting QB.

Why give up two #1's for a DE, who will help............but puts you NOWHERE near the Vikings or Packers in your division.

My point is Gruden is being crucified, and I really don't understand it. I love Mack, he's an elite DE, but I wouldn't want the Hawks to pay 22M a year to a DE crippling our cap either.

OP
OP
M

mrt144

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1g4d3hll said:
mrt144":1g4d3hll said:
Sgt. Largent":1g4d3hll said:

For sure, it doesn't make any sense from the Bears side. They're still in rebuild mode, and have no idea if Trubisky is even a good starting QB.

Why give up two #1's for a DE, who will help............but puts you NOWHERE near the Vikings or Packers in your division.

My point is Gruden is being crucified, and I really don't understand it. I love Mack, he's an elite DE, but I wouldn't want the Hawks to pay 22M a year to a DE crippling our cap either.

A Raiders fan put it to me like this: Would you give up a winning lottery ticket for 4 lottery tickets? I know that doesn't cover the nuance of the situation at hand but it's kind of where I am at - you have a great known quantity, and it has a lot of upkeep expenses, but...you're banking on hitting at 2/4 on those picks to meet or exceed that known quantity 3 to 4 years down the road? If this was not Mack and say Frank Clark I'd take the picks no doubt but I think Mack is great and even if his salary demands are a bit outlandish, taking a proactive approach to set the table 3-4 years down the road is just too unknown. Of course I also have my doubts on Gruden lasting even 5 years let alone 10 to realize his vision so that tinges it.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
mrt144":3u4grrvm said:
A Raiders fan put it to me like this: Would you give up a winning lottery ticket for 4 lottery tickets? I know that doesn't cover the nuance of the situation at hand but it's kind of where I am at - you have a great known quantity, and it has a lot of upkeep expenses, but...you're banking on hitting at 2/4 on those picks to meet or exceed that known quantity 3 to 4 years down the road? If this was not Mack and say Frank Clark I'd take the picks no doubt but I think Mack is great and even if his salary demands are a bit outlandish, taking a proactive approach to set the table 3-4 years down the road is just too unknown. Of course I also have my doubts on Gruden lasting even 5 years let alone 10 to realize his vision so that tinges it.

I get it, but in the NFL it has more to do with whether you think you're in or out of your SB window.

Like we did last year, and the Rams are doing this year, you take chances on leveraging and compromising your cap in order to win NOW. Because that's the state of the league now, you're either building for 2-3 years down the road, or you're going for broke, there is no middle anymore.

No better way to lose your job as a GM and/or HC than to just go 7-9 or 8-8 in perpetuity.

It's obvious that Gruden and McKenzie don't think they're ready to go for broke and compete for a SB this year hamstringing their cap. My guess is they want to go into Vegas as strong as possible having their cap right and getting the best young nucleus as possible.