Next Go Around with CBA - Please bring back more practice

mrt144

Reaction score
I usually carry water for players and their motives but after watching the opening game last night, it feels like what players want isn't actually good for them.

Yes, the peril of a season ending injury in the preseason looms. And when you add in more opportunities for injuries to happen you will likely see more injuries happen. But...

The early games are just rough as hell with the players obviously easing into the real deal tentatively. Whether that's penalties, drops, missed assignments September feels like preseason 2.0 at the moment.

Also there is the plausible scenario that some amount of injuries suffered in the regular season are due to conditioning or lack thereof. Not the headshots and concussions but rather the muscle and ligament injuries. So it's either take your lumps with 16 game checks on the line or take your lumps with 16-x game checks on the line depending what game of the season it is.

If they can work more practice back into the fold in ways that limit injury potential but get guys firing on all cylinders from day 1, please, make it happen.

sdog1981

Reaction score
They want to smoke pot and practice less. Man, that is feeding into a ton of stereotypes.

Seriously, teams need to be able to set their own practice schedules. Oline players need two-a-days just so they can get to NFL level of line play.

How it plays out will be interesting. The owners will distract the players with shiny things, like weed and time off as they screw them with langue is the CBA.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
sdog1981":tagrrp74 said:
They want to smoke pot and practice less. Man, that is feeding into a ton of stereotypes.

Seriously, teams need to be able to set their own practice schedules. Oline players need two-a-days just so they can get to NFL level of line play.

How it plays out will be interesting. The owners will distract the players with shiny things, like weed and time off as they screw them with language in the CBA.

You forgot pancakes...Man..Pancakes..or is it waffles...I forget which is which now a days.

Also fixed some typos..and one thing you did not bring up as well is playing in pads a lot longer so they get the feel of all things. I know it is hot out there in the summer, but the best thing is even pads with breather costumes on.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":1bgif1mj said:
sdog1981":1bgif1mj said:

How it plays out will be interesting. The owners will distract the players with shiny things, like weed and time off as they screw them with language in the CBA.

You forgot pancakes...Man..Pancakes..or is it waffles...I forget which is which now a days.

Also fixed some typos..and one thing you did not bring up as well is playing in pads a lot longer so they get the feel of all things. I know it is hot out there in the summer, but the best thing is even pads with breather costumes on.

Thanks for that.

Also, teams setting their own practice schedules will help separate good coaching staffs from bad ones. In the 90's Dick Vermeil was notorious for running hard practices with the Rams when he came back to coaching in the 90's and those teams would lose because they would be burned out. I think Pete would be able to come up with ways to have hard practices that would get the team ready.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
sdog1981":3llgpj51 said:
Seahawkfan80":3llgpj51 said:
sdog1981":3llgpj51 said:

Thanks for that.

Also, teams setting their own practice schedules will help separate good coaching staffs from bad ones. In the 90's Dick Vermeil was notorious for running hard practices with the Rams when he came back to coaching in the 90's and those teams would lose because they would be burned out. I think Pete would be able to come up with ways to have hard practices that would get the team ready.

I agree with you. He would be tempered in how he maximizes production from a team aspect. You dont need to go all out for 5 hours.....you temper it with time and management. I wish my boss understood that....( I am my boss. )

ivotuk

Reaction score
They need more practice time in pads, especially offensive linemen. The state of linemen in the game is horrible, and it effects the game.

Plus, I'm tired of losing practice days when 2 linemen get rambunctious. Let them have contact so they are ready for the season!