Niners Defense Very Impressive in Week 1

adeltaY

Reaction score
Watched the Vikings/Niners game on Game Pass. Thought the Niners D played really well and held what should be a really good Vikings offense to 17 points. DeForest Buckner is an absolute monster on the inside, the rookie Warner looked really good, and I like the safeties. They're going to be trouble for us, especially after they get Foster back and continue to gel as a unit.

SF49r

Reaction score
John Lynch and Saleh been on point with picking the right personnel for the "Seattle" scheme. Still lack a quality LEO though which is going to eventually bite us in the ass. Cassius Marsh is serviceable but not really showing enough. Kaepernick bit the 49ers one last time before he left and that was winning the Week 16 game against the Lambs which pushed us out of the #1 overall spot causing us not to get Myles Garrett. He would have been a monster at that Cliff Avril spot. Solomon is good but hes more of a Bennett big end type.

94Smith

Reaction score
They looked good, but there are lots more games for them to look bad coming up.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
They did look pretty good, but it's hard to gauge week one.

Many a time we have crowned someone after week one for beating or playing a "good" team well, only to find out that both teams sucked. I definitely don't think the Vikings are bad, but their OC and QB from their good offense last year are playing elsewhere - so we really don't know what they are just yet.

OP
OP
A

adeltaY

Reaction score
Ramfan128":1ydzfnw7 said:
They did look pretty good, but it's hard to gauge week one.

Many a time we have crowned someone after week one for beating or playing a "good" team well, only to find out that both teams sucked. I definitely don't think the Vikings are bad, but their OC and QB from their good offense last year are playing elsewhere - so we really don't know what they are just yet.

Good point. I'd expect the QB to be an upgrade though, no?

Marvin49

Reaction score
I've kinda been saying this all offseason...

...They have young, promising players at CB (Witherspoon), Safety (Tartt, Colbert), LB (Warner, Foster)and all over the D-Line (Buckner, Thomas, Armstead, Blair, Jones). Its one of the big reasons Sherman was a priority. Yes, they could use him on the field, but they REALLY needed that vet leadership.

They don't have alot of depth tho at LB or DB (D-Line not bad) and their BIGGEST problem on D is a lack of a true LEO. They need outside pass rush badly and it will eventually show. One of the biggest off season needs after the year and why they at least made a few calls on Khalil Mack.