New roughing the passer rule worse than helmet rule?

adeltaY

Reaction score
Going off the GB game and the fact that a ton of these calls happened last week, I find the roughing rule modification more worrisome. Some of the hits on the QB look perfectly clean. Meanwhile, the new helmet to helmet rule seems to get called very rarely.

rcaido

Reaction score
Refs can easily control the games even more now.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
It's absolutely horrific some of these calls. If Ditka and Butkas were dead surely they would be rolling over in their graves.

mistaowen

Reaction score
We're a season away from QB's wearing the red practice jerseys and can only be tackled by 2 hand touch or else it's an automatic touchdown and that player is kicked out of the NFL.

pmedic920

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":1uz9qoeg said:
I still think the helmet rule is worse.

IMHO, both are equally bad rules.

Actually the rules as written aren’t all that bad, what’s bad is, how subjective they are.

It’s 100% up to the striped shirt dudes, if they call it or not.

It isn’t being/not being called in uniform fashion across the board.

Both rules make it very easy to effectively alter a drive that easily could alter the outcome of a game.

Many would argue that the NFL has no interest in effecting the outcome of games.
I won’t argue that, I simply say “horse shit”, end of argument for me.

The new rules are too subjective IMHO.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Funny how when Erin gets injured, a new rule comes out. If Wilson was to get injured, they'd probably give the player who hurt him some type of courage award or medal of honor.

OP
OP
A

adeltaY

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3o4m92a6 said:
Funny how when Erin gets injured, a new rule comes out. If Wilson was to get injured, they'd probably give the player who hurt him some type of courage award or medal of honor.

I doubt it... Cam is the one who gets the crap beat out of him and no flags because he's "big enough to handle it"

chris98251

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1syim6w0 said:

Wilson did get injured and they changed the rule to be if he is outside the pocket and running he can be hit, I think someone got flagged for roughing or something that year, They stated that a Read Option guy handcuffs the defense from tackling until it is too late.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Its gotten soft. I understand the cte fears but pretty soon it wont be tackle footbal and no one will tune in.

DJrmb

Reaction score
On a side note it's great to see Rodgers get screwed out of a win by his own rule :lol:

Mindsink

Reaction score
Here's a possible solution: Stop throwing flags on personal fouls. Why negate a play because of a foul that may or may not have affected the result of the play? If Clay didn't "slam" Cousins to the ground, does that pass not get picked off?

Not only would this restore some integrity back in the game, but it would speed it up. Review all the illegal hits AFTER the game when officials can make better decisions about them rather than relying on a ref making a split second decision in real time about something he saw from his particular vantage point.

AgentDib

Reaction score
You wouldn't want depth players sent in to target starters "Karate Kid" style with no immediate repercussions.

I do agree the Aaron Rodgers rule was poorly conceived and has been very poorly implemented this season.

Mindsink

Reaction score
AgentDib":187xjjiy said:
You wouldn't want depth players sent in to target starters "Karate Kid" style with no immediate repercussions.

If they wanted to do that, I don't think a 15 yard penalty would deter them. Right?

chris98251

Reaction score
What they really need to do is eliminate these protect everyone from everything rules and let the guys play, sure there will be injuries but putting a do not touch sign on WR's trying to catch, and QB's doing anything just makes them bigger targets for when you can hit them clean, but that falls under unsportsmanlike now it seems. They have given Officials to much control of how games can be played and the outcomes, they were suppose to be there to manage the flow and rules of the game, not interpret situational circumstances that can be looked at multiple ways without consistency.

WaterloggedOrnateFantail max 1mb

PackerNation

Reaction score
I have no idea where the NFL goes after this nonsense.

Clay hits the QB:

IllinformedNaughtyCockatoo size restricted

Here is what the ref said on why he threw the flag:

DnP3N3fVAAA1bj8

If the ref looked at the replay and still made this statement, then the ref is outright lying. He made a bad call and he would have been better off just admitting it. Regardless of who or what team this is for/against, it is ruining football.