Sherman So Far

adeltaY

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/PFF_49ers/status/1041838302054113281[/tweet]

Feels bad man... Imagine if we still had Sherm with Quill coming into his own. :cry:

At least we're drama free! :mrgreen:

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
There is a really great chart showing all the balls Stafford completed the other day.

One side is peppered with colored circles. The other side? Completely blank.

He is doing a hell of a job.

Good for him though.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
adeltaY":429ucz77 said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/PFF_49ers/status/1041838302054113281[/tweet]

Feels bad man... Imagine if we still had Sherm with Quill coming into his own. :cry:

At least we're drama free! :mrgreen:

Drama free?
Nope.
Good for Sherm though.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Cousins threw for 244 and 2. Stafford 357 and 3.

Doesn't seem qbs are struggling to throw on the 9ers. If they we're, they'd start hitting his side too

OP
OP
A

adeltaY

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3ljcfqhv said:

Doesn't seem qbs are struggling to throw on the 9ers. If they we're, they'd start hitting his side too

Right, and some QBs did the same to us even at our height. Did we turn around and say we didn't need Sherm or that his impact was overrated? No.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
adeltaY":1p9no6s6 said:
Uncle Si":1p9no6s6 said:

Right, and some QBs did the same to us even at our height. Did we turn around and say we didn't need Sherm or that his impact was overrated? No.

Did they?

Back to back games?

And Yeah, when teams threw at the Hawks successfully and avoided Sherman all together there was always a clamor to move him to their top receiver instead of one side of the field.

kobebryant

Reaction score
That’s awesome and good to see! Sherm is the man.

There’s a lot of really cool football players to watch in this division. Deforest Buckner, Quill Griffin and John Johnson looking like new emerging stars too.

OP
OP
A

adeltaY

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1g9fru0s said:
adeltaY":1g9fru0s said:
Uncle Si":1g9fru0s said:

Did they?

Back to back games?

And Yeah, when teams threw at the Hawks successfully and avoided Sherman all together there was always a clamor to move him to their top receiver instead of one side of the field.

Sure. 2016 Saints, Bills, and Pats all put up comparable stats in a three week stretch. Falcons as well in 2016 twice, Packers and Cards once. 2015 we had the Bengals and Panthers put up good numbers through the air in back to back weeks and we lost both games. Steelers and Cards also had big games through the air that year.

2014 we had the Chargers, Broncos, Redskins, and Cowboys put up comparable numbers in a row. Look, if 244 and 2 TDs is part of your benchmark here, we aren't going to have to look hard to find examples of even elite defenses allowing that, it isn't that impressive of a stat line in today's NFL.

I'm not sure about the clamor you're talking about. i'm sure plenty of us did in the moment, but stepping back and thinking about it rationally, I think plenty of us understood the scheme. They also did move him around some games. For example, he shadowed AB in the 2015 steelers game and the other receivers still lit us up. It happens. Sherman can play well and the pass defense can be bad - they aren't mutually exclusive and it's out of his control, just like it was when he was a Seahawk.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Fair enough.

My point is those stats indicate no-one is throwing at him yet his team is giving up large chunks in the air.

Hard to day his impact yet

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Good for him, still don't miss his antics, lies, and general poor behavior. I'm glad we have Griffin. He looks to be a solid piece of our future. I hope Sherman does well in his last few years.

rcaido

Reaction score
Im happy for Sherman! I hope he keeps it up that way 49ers have to pay him more!

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
This after PFF rated him so poorly with us? Ke ke ke.

I’ll have to watch a niners game or two. Definitely curious to see if anyone other than Diggs was running serious routes against him. Not sure if that is a respect thing, or if it’s because he actually still a baller. Either way as others have said, it’s been easy pickings all over the field, not really a requirement to even try him — but I’m sure that time will come, too.

OP
OP
A

adeltaY

Reaction score
Uncle Si":6e2doz9b said:
Fair enough.

My point is those stats indicate no-one is throwing at him yet his team is giving up large chunks in the air.

Hard to day his impact yet

Interesting to see how Mahomes will play him. Sherman strength is covering deep but against hill if he misses his jam like Artie Burns did last week he is toast.

chris98251

Reaction score
Just shows that the other side is where they will go, have two guys of equal ability that can shut things down and thing get more interesting, why a Nickle was important to us as well With Sherm, Earl and Maxwell out there they went after the middle and slot, and Seam patterns with the TE why Lane was exposed and Coleman proves his worth with us. We never fixed the TE seam route problem however and it bit us again and again.

Decimation

Reaction score
I love Sherman for helping us win our first super bowl, but that’s the past, and it’s over.

He plays for the team I would never have expected him to play for. He was part of the problem and needed to go.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Pretty sure small, shifty, fast receivers is Sherman’s weakness. If he’s going to get toasted this year it’s going to be against the Chiefs.

Marvin49

Reaction score
So...a couple things...

1) Sherman has looked really good so far.

2) He IS getting by some on his reputation and QBs are throwing away from him. That's been going on for years tho.

3) As much as I like the potential of Colbert and Tartt, they are NOT Thomas and Chancellor. IE, he can't do it alone. ALOT of youth back there. Witherspoon in particular struggled last week after hurting his ankle early, but he's a 2nd year guy. We'll see just how he responds.

4) 49ers LBs have been HORRIFIC this season with the exception of rookie Fred Warner. That's a big reason their D has struggled. They suck in coverage, they allow the QB to get a first down running extending drives, and they can't tackle anyone which extends drives. The good news as a Niner fan is that the likes of Brock Coyle, Mark Nzeocha, and Elijah Lee will hopefully be seeing ALOT less playing time. Reuben Foster is returning from suspension and Malcolm Smith is returning from injury. That is a quantum leap upgrade at LB.

5) The real Achilles heal (no pun intended) of the 49ers D is and will likely be for the entire season an outside pass rush. They simply do not have anyone at that position who can get around the corner. They don't have the horses. It will show up in pass D numbers all year. When your 'Hawks had the Legion of Boom, they ALSO had lightning fast edge rushers coming off the edge like Avril, later Irvin and now Clark. That combined with the crowd noise that slowed get-off time of offensive tackles just made that D LETHAL. Niers have some great players in the front 7 (Buckner, Foster), some promising ones (Thomas, Warner) but they will never be an elite defense till they address the LEO position.

Having said all this...I expect the D to get lit up pretty good in KC.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Decimation":3id7f1di said:
I love Sherman for helping us win our first super bowl, but that’s the past, and it’s over.

He plays for the team I would never have expected him to play for. He was part of the problem and needed to go.

So Sherm was part of the piss poor offense, OL and boneheaded decision making of PCJS?? Or because he had the guts to call out Bevell then suddenly he “had to go”? Please. Or because he called out some royal jackass radio guy that people are butthurt about? Or because he may have hurt poor Wilson’s feelings in a practice years earlier made him such a “problem”? Ridiculous.

Sherman is not unexpectedly still playing at a high level and he offered PCJS the opportunity to match SF’s prove it deal and they refused—huge mistake. We could obviously use him right now and his fire, competitiveness and desire to win was like no other here. He was respected by his teammates, a leader and PCJS just couldn’t stand it that someone had the balls to question the direction of the team. Well look who’s right now.

2 Achilles procedures you say? So other lesser Hawks could be given prove it deals but heaven forbid we extend the same opportunity to one of the cornerstones of this team.

I find it so interesting that as soon as a player is no longer in a Hawk uniform (and usually not by their choice) people will rewrite the past and minimize their current and past success. So enjoy Akeem King as your starting corner.

Marvin49

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":1k6jg0ii said:
Decimation":1k6jg0ii said:

So Sherm was part of the piss poor offense, OL and boneheaded decision making of PCJS?? Or because he had the guts to call out Bevell then suddenly he “had to go”? Please. Or because he called out some royal jackass radio guy that people are butthurt about? Or because he may have hurt poor Wilson’s feelings in a practice years earlier made him such a “problem”? Ridiculous.

Sherman is not unexpectedly still playing at a high level and he offered PCJS the opportunity to match SF’s prove it deal and they refused—huge mistake. We could obviously use him right now and his fire, competitiveness and desire to win was like no other here. He was respected by his teammates, a leader and PCJS just couldn’t stand it that someone had the balls to question the direction of the team. Well look who’s right now.

2 Achilles procedures you say? So other lesser Hawks could be given prove it deals but heaven forbid we extend the same opportunity to one of the cornerstones of this team.

I find it so interesting that as soon as a player is no longer in a Hawk uniform (and usually not by their choice) people will rewrite the past and minimize their current and past success. So enjoy Akeem King as your starting corner

Just on the bolded...gotta say that's pretty much standard operating procedure for every fanbase in the NFL.

Decimation

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":qzhkgxgi said:
Decimation":qzhkgxgi said:

I find it so interesting that as soon as a player is no longer in a Hawk uniform (and usually not by their choice) people will rewrite the past and minimize their current and past success. So enjoy Akeem King as your starting corner.

Thanks for the reply. As a fan who’s young, I’m excited to learn more and be able to provide quality content in my posts.

He wasn’t part of the offense, obviously. But he was most definitely part of the problem. You or me cannot deny that. His motivation went from as high as possible to not giving a crap. He put himself before the team. Plain and simple.

I don’t give a crap about Sherman. I loved him when he was on the Hawks, he helped us win our first super bowl, but he went to our rival team and it’s time to move on.

Maybe Akeem King can be the next Richard Sherman? Who knows.