Sheldon Richardson Tied for Lead in DT Pressures

adeltaY

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/PFF/status/1043134515063992320[/tweet]

Another departed player balling out. This one hurts. They traded a second round pick and let him walk for a one year $8M deal.

OP
OP
A

adeltaY

Reaction score
hawknation2018":ahn75dgy said:
Great player. Wish we had re-signed him.

People seemed to hate him and were glad we replaced him with Stephen and Johnson, the latter of whom we cut and the vikings got back...

Haven't seen vikes fans complaining about bad gap discipline from Richardson.

Decimation

Reaction score
It was not smart to sign him, but in the long run, hopefully we can get some players who ball out more than Sheldon.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Decimation":3te8cv6t said:
It was not smart to sign him....
Very much agreed- one of JS’ worst trades. We sure could’ve used that 2nd round pick. Not surprised he’s producing well for Minny though.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
A lot of great players come in and struggle under Pete for some reason. Pete seems to be much better at getting the most out of slightly above average players. Great players can’t seem to get in sync here though.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
You can also look at who else in on that D line for the Vikes. That helps him a lot. But yeah, he's a good player. Just wasn't going to be worth what he would have wanted. And yes I'm aware he signed a one year deal.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1t6569tl said:
You can also look at who else in on that D line for the Vikes. That helps him a lot. But yeah, he's a good player. Just wasn't going to be worth what he would have wanted. And yes I'm aware he signed a one year deal.
Yea. Griffen had been a force but has been dealing with mental issues for the last several weeks. He was held out of the game loss to the Bill's. He is not staying at his home but living at a hotel. He then forced his way into Trae Wayne's home. Griffen has been brought to a hospital for psych evaluation and likely out for several weeks.
That great D line is in trouble even with Richardson's production.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Your weekly reminder that we're likely 6-10 last year without Sheldon.

T-Hawk

Reaction score
Not being a smart ass, I'm genuinely curious because I've seen you say this a few times. What games did Richardson win for us last year and how?

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
T-Hawk":1vje1lyw said:
Not being a smart ass, I'm genuinely curious because I've seen you say this a few times. What games did Richardson win for us last year and how?

I say it in the context of, "A lot of little things add up to a victory and removing any one of them from a close victory can and usually does change the outcome."

A pick of Jared Goff on the road, a forced fumble-and-touchback averting an imminent touchdown by the (eventual SB champion) Eagles, a recovered fumble in Arizona, and a crucial run stop to slam the door shut on Houston's last drive. Those are four enormous plays in a year where turnovers were scarce. It's not hard to believe that the season could have been very different without him.

Sheldon is another Jimmy Graham. They were brought in to provide a thing (Jimmy touchdowns, Sheldon defensive stops). They didn't consistently do the in-between and supporting stuff that usually lead to those things, but they provided the things themselves and made a difference. Yet a bunch of fans insist on missing the forest for the trees and slamming those trades because they think abstract value judgments make them look smarter.

If you want a scapegoat for 2017 and aren't satisfied with Tom Cable, look at the free-agent acquisitions we trusted that year. Blair Walsh. Eddie Lacy. Luke Joeckel. Those guys helped drain the bank and provided far, far less combined than either one of Jimmy or Sheldon. Even if moving on from those two guys was the right move, we owe them a little more appreciation.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
He had 40 or so pressures last year, too, so that is not new.

I thought one of his issues is that he was just kind of winging it, undisciplined?

OP
OP
A

adeltaY

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":3i13e5zi said:
He had 40 or so pressures last year, too, so that is not new.

I thought one of his issues is that he was just kind of winging it, undisciplined?

He also already has one combined sack and those pressure numbers were through two weeks. Not sure how many he has now, but I'd imagine maybe a few more given how awful the Vikings D was as a whole against the Bills. On pace for way more than 40 pressures.

T-Hawk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3msn378u said:
T-Hawk":3msn378u said:

I say it in the context of, "A lot of little things add up to a victory and removing any one of them from a close victory can and usually does change the outcome."

A pick of Jared Goff on the road, a forced fumble-and-touchback averting an imminent touchdown by the (eventual SB champion) Eagles, a recovered fumble in Arizona, and a crucial run stop to slam the door shut on Houston's last drive. Those are four enormous plays in a year where turnovers were scarce. It's not hard to believe that the season could have been very different without him.

Sheldon is another Jimmy Graham. They were brought in to provide a thing (Jimmy touchdowns, Sheldon defensive stops). They didn't consistently do the in-between and supporting stuff that usually lead to those things, but they provided the things themselves and made a difference. Yet a bunch of fans insist on missing the forest for the trees and slamming those trades because they think abstract value judgments make them look smarter.

If you want a scapegoat for 2017 and aren't satisfied with Tom Cable, look at the free-agent acquisitions we trusted that year. Blair Walsh. Eddie Lacy. Luke Joeckel. Those guys helped drain the bank and provided far, far less combined than either one of Jimmy or Sheldon. Even if moving on from those two guys was the right move, we owe them a little more appreciation.

Fair enough, I don't disagree with anything you state, and I like the comparison to Jimmy Graham's role here. I think both trades face more criticism than they deserve.

I thought Reed was responsible for the Goff pick though, unless we're talking about different plays. I remember Reed collapsing the pocket and forcing a terrible pass from Goff that was easily picked by Earl I believe.

getnasty

Reaction score
He didn't have 20 sacks last year so people think he wasn't good but the guy continually got doubled.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/benbbaldwin/status/1045775838640316416[/tweet]

kf3339

Reaction score
He signed for only $8M on a one year deal. That tells me he had a reason for not wanting to stay with us for a short or even long term deal.

I thought he played really well for us, but just didn't have the sack numbers everyone seems to use as a judgement call on ability.

TreeRon

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":26w1zjk8 said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/benbbaldwin/status/1045775838640316416[/tweet]

Interesting phrasing there on Bennett. He's listed by the Eagles as the back-up RDE.

PFF= a bunch of guys in Bangladesh deciding who is the best at American Football.