Chubb and Michel both looked incredible this weekend...

Reaction score
Did the Seahawks draft the wrong back? Both those guys looked like absolute studs this weekend. Penny can't even get the start over a low end backup?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
QuickLightning":62t4e4k8 said:
Did the Seahawks draft the wrong back? Both those guys looked like absolute studs this weekend. Penny can't even get the start over a low end backup?

Not saying the answer is yes or no, but the low end backup ran for 100 yards and 2 TDs with another 23 on 4 catches.

Penny ran for 49 on 9 carries as well. Decent day.

Chubb... 103 yards and 2 TDs on 3 carries. What a day. Wonder why it was only 3?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I think Penny will be a good back.............but IMO in today's NFL game, if you draft a RB in the first round he better be a GREAT back, not just average or good.

So yes, as of now, and it's early in Penny's career it's a miss for me. We had and still have WAY too many holes all over this roster to have spent a 1st rounder on a 2nd or 3rd string RB.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1io1gsbb said:
I think Penny will be a good back.............but IMO in today's NFL game, if you draft a RB in the first round he better be a GREAT back, not just average or good.

So yes, as of now, and it's early in Penny's career it's a miss for me. We had and still have WAY too many holes all over this roster to have spent a 1st rounder on a 2nd or 3rd string RB.

Hyperbole. Penny hasn't gotten his chance yet, those other guys are the lead backs on teams with either an offensive line or a passing game. Big difference.

Saying Penny is a 3rd string back 4 games in to the season is like Mel Kiper giving this team a D in April. It's too early.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I believe the Cardinals have a better defense than the Raiders do. Maybe that's why Chubb was doing well. Who have the Raiders stopped so far this season?
I guess we will find out soon enough since the Seahawks play them in 2 weeks.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
ivotuk":ux6m2xpe said:
Sgt. Largent":ux6m2xpe said:

Hyperbole. Penny hasn't gotten his chance yet, those other guys are the lead backs on teams with either an offensive line or a passing game. Big difference.

Saying Penny is a 3rd string back 4 games in to the season is like Mel Kiper giving this team a D in April. It's too early.

I guess you didn't read the very first part of my statement when I said I thought Penny would be a good back...................or the last part where I said "AS OF NOW IT'S A MISS."

It is too early to make a final decision. But that's how this whole sports forum works, we give our opinions based on what we see now. If not, it'd make for some pretty boring opinions if we all had to wait 3-4 years to have an opinion.

MrThortan

Reaction score
We have seen running backs that couldn't produce in our offense go to other teams and look better than they did here. Alex Collins is a great example. Penny was a low first round pick, but I agree if you spend a first on RB you expect him to produce. He is still a rookie though and he has seen some game time. I am willing to be patient with him before I call it a mis-draft or a bust. Some things are hard to measure, such as work ethic and I hope he puts in the effort behind the scenes.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Kerryon Johnson looks pretty damned good too.

That was a great RB draft.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
ivotuk":ldjkv8kz said:
Sgt. Largent":ldjkv8kz said:

Chubb isn't the lead back.... Penny had the majority of the carries up until two weeks ago. Thus far he is underwhelming. He could very well end up being our third string back when Carson comes back. Both Davis and Carson are outperforming him by a pretty big margin. If you take a runningback in the first round they had better produce right away.

I'm going to make a declaration right here: Penny will be a bust. I don't see very many redeeming features thus far.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":1dkrfts1 said:
ivotuk":1dkrfts1 said:
Sgt. Largent":1dkrfts1 said:

Chubb isn't the lead back.... Penny had the majority of the carries up until two weeks ago. Thus far he is underwhelming. He could very well end up being our third string back when Carson comes back. Both Davis and Carson are outperforming him by a pretty big margin. If you take a runningback in the first round they had better produce right away.

I'm going to make a declaration right here: Penny will be a bust. I don't see very many redeeming features thus far.

9 carries for 49 yards. Thats almost 6 yards per carry.

No redeeming features??

Talk about being overly tough on a guy in order to justify one's anger at a pick.

We have 3 pretty good backs right now. Penny will continue to get some carries. Can never have too many good backs.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Hawkpower":22vz4nf1 said:
Spin Doctor":22vz4nf1 said:
ivotuk":22vz4nf1 said:
Sgt. Largent":22vz4nf1 said:

No redeeming features??

Talk about being overly tough on a guy in order to justify one's anger at a pick.

We have 3 pretty good backs right now. Penny will continue to get some carries. Can never have too many good backs.
On his big runs he had gaping holes that a semi truck could have driven through, against the 31st rated rush defense in the NFL.

In order to be a good running back in the NFL you need to be able to make the first guy miss. I haven't seen Penny have that ability in the NFL. He isn't particularly elusive, and he isn't very powerful, especially when you consider his size -- he doesn't even have very good break away speed. He is brought down by simple arm tackles and he doesn't keep driving for yards on contact like Carson or Davis are able to do. He also has a ton of hesitation when running. He dances behind the LOS. Didn't like this guy in college, didn't like it when they draft him, and I like him even less when I watch him play in the NFL.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":2taf5t9v said:
Hawkpower":2taf5t9v said:
Spin Doctor":2taf5t9v said:
ivotuk":2taf5t9v said:

No redeeming features??

On his big runs he had gaping holes that a semi truck could have driven through, against the 31st rated rush defense in the NFL.

In order to be a good running back in the NFL you need to be able to make the first guy miss. I haven't seen Penny have that ability in the NFL. He isn't particularly elusive, and he isn't very powerful, especially when you consider his size -- he doesn't even have very good break away speed. He is brought down by simple arm tackles and he doesn't keep driving for yards on contact like Carson or Davis are able to do. He also has a ton of hesitation when running. He dances behind the LOS. Didn't like this guy in college, didn't like it when they draft him, and I like him even less when I watch him play in the NFL.

Penny's style reminds me a lot of Shaun Alexander. Shaun is the Seahawk all time rushing leader and also leads in most TDs scored. He was #1 in both categories many times in his career. SA didn't do much his rookie season because he was behind another vet rb - Ricky Watters.

I think it's too early to judge Penny. He could very well turn out to be a very good running back for the Seahawks. He's only 4 games into his career and missed most of preseason due to an injury. He deserves some slack, IMO.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1yakxxii said:
Penny's style reminds me a lot of Shaun Alexander. Shaun is the Seahawk all time rushing leader and also leads in most TDs scored. He was #1 in both categories many times in his career. SA didn't do much his rookie season because he was behind another vet rb - Ricky Watters.

Alexander is a good comparison, unfortunately the part of Penny's game that reminds me of Alexander is the part where he rarely breaks the first tackle and goes down too easily.

Bell cow RB's in the NFL come in all shapes and sizes, but the great ones always get yards after contact and break that first tackle.

I still like Penny's burst through the hole, but so far I'm not all that impressed, especially for a 1st round RB.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
MrThortan":29qaiwp4 said:
We have seen running backs that couldn't produce in our offense go to other teams and look better than they did here. Alex Collins is a great example.

He really isn't. You implied that our offense was the issue - Alex Collins was just straight-up fumbling and dropped passes at a time we had six other RB's to choose from, including Carson and Davis. It had nothing to do with "the offense".

MrThortan

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1aolcpaj said:
MrThortan":1aolcpaj said:
We have seen running backs that couldn't produce in our offense go to other teams and look better than they did here. Alex Collins is a great example.

He really isn't. You implied that our offense was the issue - Alex Collins was just straight-up fumbling and dropped passes at a time we had six other RB's to choose from, including Carson and Davis. It had nothing to do with "the offense".

Yeah after looking at his stats it put things in a different perspective. He is producing more in Baltimore, but that is with a whole lot more carries. 2 fumbles on 212 carries in 17, and fumbled twice on catches. This year he already has 2 on 45.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
hawkfan68":3p8q8sd4 said:
Spin Doctor":3p8q8sd4 said:
Hawkpower":3p8q8sd4 said:
Spin Doctor":3p8q8sd4 said:

No redeeming features??

I think it's too early to judge Penny. He could very well turn out to be a very good running back for the Seahawks. He's only 4 games into his career and missed most of preseason due to an injury. He deserves some slack, IMO.
The thing about Alexander is he really never struggled like Penny did early on in his career. He didn't get any playing time because Ricky Watters was there, and Holmgren was always hesitant to give rookies playing time. As a change of pace back he was pretty dang good in 2000.

As far as play-style goes Alexander had a few things going for him that Penny doesn't thus far. Alexander was deceptively elusive. It was very hard for players to get their hands on him. He was patient runner but he had the uncanny ability to know when, and where a hole was going to open. He could take a small crease for a large gain. His vision was second to none. They may have had similar 40 times, but Alexander looks much faster on tape than Penny does. A lot of his elusiveness came from a second gear that people weren't expecting, and little subtle moves. He was also fantastic at setting up blockers, and despite being a soft running back, he could play hard when he wanted to. Near the goal line he turned into a battering ram, and was very hard to bring down. Don't really see this from Penny.

Ultimately I think Penny's weight is really holding him back right now. They said he is what? 236? That is 16 pounds more than he weighed when he was at the combine. Wouldn't surprise me if he weighed than that right now either. Shaun Alexander played anywhere from 220 to 228.

Shaun Alexander was able to make the first man miss, and he could play strong in key situations. Not seeing either from Penny right now.