Why is scoring lots of points bad?

adeltaY

Reaction score
I was just listening to Brock Huard and he was scoffing at Matt Ryan throwing almost 800 yards and 8 TDs with 0 picks the past two games because the Falcons lost. I don't get the condescending attitude towards putting up buckets of points at all, can someone explain this? The Falcons defense is missing three key starters and simply sucks, which is why they lost both games.

I'm not advocating for bad defense at all, I'm talking strictly about the offensive side of the game.

justafan

Reaction score
I just dont like watching that kind of football. I know they have gutted the D with all the rules changes so thats the way its going. Might as well make it canadien rules and go to 3 downs.

OP
OP
A

adeltaY

Reaction score
Cyrus12":221gk6lb said:
Been a while since we've put up big numbers.

Yes, but I'm hearing that this is okay because we want to keep it close and win in the fourth, which is preferable to being aggressive and trying to put up tons of points because of turnover risk. Is there any evidence the increased turnover risk warrants avoiding pursuing points?

taylorvon29

Reaction score
Sounds to me like they are trying to rationalize the cognitive dissonance that occurs when they see an offense like that, and then, watch an offense like ours.

I didn't listen to the show though, just going off of what you said.

A loss does not negate the effectiveness of their offense. They're just a flawed team, much like ours.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

mrt144

Reaction score
adeltaY":27dvgnbh said:
Cyrus12":27dvgnbh said:
Been a while since we've put up big numbers.

Yes, but I'm hearing that this is okay because we want to keep it close and win in the fourth, which is preferable to being aggressive and trying to put up tons of points because of turnover risk. Is there any evidence the increased turnover risk warrants avoiding pursuing points?

When you start having a lower 3rd down conversion rate than starting QB interception per snap rate...that just kinda should fly out the window, right?