Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Does anyone want a team in London?

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Does anyone want a team in London?
Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:45 am
  • Maybe I should've started this topic in the Shack. I've been to London, I have West Country family in Old Blighty, and I love her very much, but the idea of a London NFL team just seems like a horrible mistake. Does anyone really want this, or is it a debacle by the league? Are they really considering a new team in London? And expanding the schedule to 18 games?
    http://www.sonicsrising.com/2016/3/10/11194382/sonics-arena-public-hearing-tip-off
    http://www.sonicsrising.com/2016/3/7/11 ... l-vacation
    FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER: @George_OGorman
    Lords of Scythia
    NET Veteran

Re: Does anyone want a team in London?
Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:49 am
  • I would not.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:54 am
  • Too far away.
    Apple Cup Week: "I've always felt that being a Cougar prepares you for life. You learn not to expect too much."
    --UW Coach Don James
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:58 am
  • I'd like to see a team in Mexico City before London.

Mexico seems to have a bigger appetite, as well as cultural ties to the southern US as far as rooting interest of teams like the Cowboys, Raiders, Texans, etc. more than England does.

Logistically it's a nightmare for all 31 teams that'd have to travel to London every year or every four years to play whatever team the NFL sticks there...........and other than ex-pats living in England, does the UK even care about the NFL?

I have English friends, and other than making a party out of watching the Super Bowl, very few of them give a rat's ass about the NFL.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:22 am
  • I'd be okay with it. The flight time from NYC to London is 6.2 hours NYC to Seattle is 4.3 hours. I think the NFL would like to get a European League eventually and they have to start somewhere.
    BTW, I was in Brittany, France this spring and they're playing American football there. I know some colleges in Scotland do as well.
    TreeRon
    NET Starter

Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:28 am
  • If we started a team over seas we shouldn't do just do one. There should be enough for a league over there.
    "It's Ground Hawks Day" Chris Berman
    seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran

Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:30 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:I'd like to see a team in Mexico City before London.

Mexico seems to have a bigger appetite, as well as cultural ties to the southern US as far as rooting interest of teams like the Cowboys, Raiders, Texans, etc. more than England does.

Logistically it's a nightmare for all 31 teams that'd have to travel to London every year or every four years to play whatever team the NFL sticks there...........and other than ex-pats living in England, does the UK even care about the NFL?

I have English friends, and other than making a party out of watching the Super Bowl, very few of them give a rat's ass about the NFL.

I agree with that. A Mexico City team would be far better. I don't want to expand the league, though. Maybe a relo.
    http://www.sonicsrising.com/2016/3/10/11194382/sonics-arena-public-hearing-tip-off
    Lords of Scythia
    NET Veteran

Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:32 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:I'd like to see a team in Mexico City before London.

It's funny because I see a few UK guys that really know the game and take it to a level
    that I never thought possible from outside the U.S ..I have been watching since I was 7
    but these guys knowledge of the game blows mine away.I have to figure if they had a
    team it would have plenty of good football minds running it and supporting it.
    However the distance is not ideal..I wish NFL Europe had worked out years ago.
    I think they should try that again.We would have another feeder system to the
    NFL.
    Will Dissly
    2018 Adopt a rookie
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:34 am
  • I don't even like one game a year over there. :229031_shrug:

The NFL might be trying to expand internationally, but I'm not sure they are all that interested in it, other than annual "events" they can go to. We tried to get them interested a few years back. Granted, it was AA ball but in the end Europeans wouldn't support a full season league. I wonder why they would keep trying.

American football is never going to supplant Soccer as their main sport.
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:33 pm
  • IndyHawk wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:I'd like to see a team in Mexico City before London.

It's funny because I see a few UK guys that really know the game and take it to a level
    that I never thought possible from outside the U.S ..I have been watching since I was 7
    but these guys knowledge of the game blows mine away.I have to figure if they had a
    NFL.

If NFL Europe is a separate league, sounds great, like the CFL that Warren Moon was disgustingly forced to go through. Your friends sound great. Do they riot for their specific NFL teams?
    Lords of Scythia
    NET Veteran

Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:20 pm
  • IndyHawk wrote:

NFL.

My sample size is small, maybe I am underestimating the appetite for the NFL in the UK. I really have no idea other than what my handful of buddies tell me.

They enjoy the NFL, it's kind of a late night sports thing to watch.........but like others have said it'll never supplant soccer.

I get the NFL wanting to broaden their market interest, I just think Mexico and even Canada before the UK makes more sense to me interest wise and logistically.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:31 pm
  • IndyHawk wrote:

NFL.

There was a 4some of brits at the jax game last year. They seemed up on the game as well.

For me.....no. I think they like what we are doing just playing a few games over there for the pleasure of it. Go all out and have a team there...naw. I dont even think they would like it as the joy would wear off quickly. I shall ask a friend of a different team what he thinks, too.
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:09 pm
  • Probably wouldn't supplant soccer nor does it need to. We have baseball, basketball, hockey, soccer, golf and football as televised sports in the US.
    Europe's population could support american football to the degree that we support soccer or hockey for example.

When countries can contribute their own players to the teams people will be even more enthusiastic.

Playing sports with and vs. foreign competitors is a great way to enhance diplomacy and world peace. The more people from around the world commingle the better. Perhaps we'll see each other as neighbors, just like the folks down the street.

Here's just one country's example: https://www.afbn.nl/
    Last edited by TreeRon on Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
    TreeRon
    NET Starter

Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:52 pm
  • TreeRon wrote:Probably wouldn't supplant soccer nor does it need to. We have baseball, basketball, hockey, soccer, golf and football as televised sports in the US.
    Europe's population could support american football to the degree that we support soccer or hockey for example.

When countries can contribute their own players to the teams people will be even more enthusiastic.

Playing sports with and vs. foreign competitors is a great way to enhance diplomacy and world peace. The more people from around the world commingle the better. Perhaps we'll see each other as neighbors, just like the folks down the street.

Here's just one countries example: https://www.afbn.nl/

We used to call that sport wars about 70 years ago.

Having a league there and South America / Mexico as well as Canada that all have the same basic rules and then playoffs and a World Bowl would be great in about 25 years when everyone gets better. It would be like the Olympics in Basketball for a while where nobody could touch the US until they adopted a bit of our style and not so by the book play.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:57 pm
  • No...not in canada or mexico either.
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions 2014.02.02 Seahawks 43 Broncos 8
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran

Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:24 pm
  • Believe it or not but most European countries actually have American Football leagues, albeit very small but they enjoy the sport. So do the Japanese, they have a hard time understanding the game though.
    seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:36 pm
  • TreeRon wrote:I'd be okay with it. The flight time from NYC to London is 6.2 hours NYC to Seattle is 4.3 hours. I think the NFL would like to get a European League eventually and they have to start somewhere.
    BTW, I was in Brittany, France this spring and they're playing American football there. I know some colleges in Scotland do as well.

How fast is that jet traveling fro NYC to Seattle? 4.3 hours? Maybe in a cartoon. 6 hours is more like it.
    ~ HOLY CATFISH ~
    MD5eahawks
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:47 pm
  • They were saying 9 hour flight in the broadcast.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:47 pm
  • MD5eahawks wrote:
    TreeRon wrote:I'd be okay with it. The flight time from NYC to London is 6.2 hours NYC to Seattle is 4.3 hours. I think the NFL would like to get a European League eventually and they have to start somewhere.

How fast is that jet traveling fro NYC to Seattle? 4.3 hours? Maybe in a cartoon. 6 hours is more like it.

Actually in a perfect world...yarite nevermind that...but calculator said this...."5 hours, 28 minutes" on computer. 3 time zones that are crossed.
    https://www.travelmath.com/flying-time/ ... eattle,+WA
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:51 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:They were saying 9 hour flight in the broadcast.

9 hrs? From NYC to maybe Frankfurt but not London and certainly not NYC to Seattle. What flight were they talking about?
    ~ HOLY CATFISH ~
    MD5eahawks
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:03 pm
  • MD5eahawks wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:They were saying 9 hour flight in the broadcast.

9 hrs? From NYC to maybe Frankfurt but not London and certainly not NYC to Seattle. What flight were they talking about?

I think they referenced the Seattle to London in that flight.
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:12 pm
  • Seahawkfan80 wrote:
    MD5eahawks wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:They were saying 9 hour flight in the broadcast.

I think they referenced the Seattle to London in that flight.

That makes better sense. It's around 9.5 non-stop. Either way, it's still too long to be flying for a team to be in London. They really need to just nix this experiment.
    ~ HOLY CATFISH ~
    MD5eahawks
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:33 pm
  • It would be a team with no avenue to acquire talented free agents. Too much of a competitive disadvantage, and I think a team there would perpetually suck.

What highly touted FA or budding star entering his second contract is going to want to:

1. Live in England half the year with its cost of living.
    2. Live in England half the year with a culture very different than they are accustomed to.
    3.Pay taxes higher than they would have to in the US (guessing...no research)
    4. Travel to the USA 8 times a year or have to spend a substantial time on the road in a hotel to play multiple games consecutively in the states.

They wouldn’t be able to keep or get anyone. It mught actually hurt the product in the UK long term.
    Now a guppy driver. Loving the Hawks with my bro Nanomoz for over 30 years
    rjdriver
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:39 pm
  • And I know this is counter to my argument about not being to field a great team, but can you imagine the logistical nightmare if a London team finished with HFA... or worse, the following:

A scenario where they played week 17 on the road.. Then hosted WC Playoff game 1, travelled to Playoff game 2 (and won), then back to London for playoff game 3 because the number 1 seed lost?
    Now a guppy driver. Loving the Hawks with my bro Nanomoz for over 30 years
    rjdriver
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:37 pm
  • Its 7 1/2 hrs. from NYC to London and 9 for the return trip.
    seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:36 am
  • London? no.

Travel time.

But the powers that be, will internationalize the game if it's worth it.

$$$$$$$.
    Vesuve
    NET Rookie

Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:55 am
  • It would be a logistical nightmare. At the moment the international games are scheduled mid season with a bye week for the teams afterwards. How would it work if the London team got home field advantage in the play offs?
    UK_Seahawk
    NET Veteran

It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:48 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information