Does anyone want a team in London?

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Maybe I should've started this topic in the Shack. I've been to London, I have West Country family in Old Blighty, and I love her very much, but the idea of a London NFL team just seems like a horrible mistake. Does anyone really want this, or is it a debacle by the league? Are they really considering a new team in London? And expanding the schedule to 18 games?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I'd like to see a team in Mexico City before London.

Mexico seems to have a bigger appetite, as well as cultural ties to the southern US as far as rooting interest of teams like the Cowboys, Raiders, Texans, etc. more than England does.

Logistically it's a nightmare for all 31 teams that'd have to travel to London every year or every four years to play whatever team the NFL sticks there...........and other than ex-pats living in England, does the UK even care about the NFL?

I have English friends, and other than making a party out of watching the Super Bowl, very few of them give a rat's ass about the NFL.

TreeRon

Reaction score
I'd be okay with it. The flight time from NYC to London is 6.2 hours NYC to Seattle is 4.3 hours. I think the NFL would like to get a European League eventually and they have to start somewhere.
BTW, I was in Brittany, France this spring and they're playing American football there. I know some colleges in Scotland do as well.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
If we started a team over seas we shouldn't do just do one. There should be enough for a league over there.

OP
OP
Lords of Scythia

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3qnjbr93 said:

Mexico seems to have a bigger appetite, as well as cultural ties to the southern US as far as rooting interest of teams like the Cowboys, Raiders, Texans, etc. more than England does.

Logistically it's a nightmare for all 31 teams that'd have to travel to London every year or every four years to play whatever team the NFL sticks there...........and other than ex-pats living in England, does the UK even care about the NFL?

I have English friends, and other than making a party out of watching the Super Bowl, very few of them give a rat's ass about the NFL.
I agree with that. A Mexico City team would be far better. I don't want to expand the league, though. Maybe a relo.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":123hfzhz said:

It's funny because I see a few UK guys that really know the game and take it to a level
that I never thought possible from outside the U.S ..I have been watching since I was 7
but these guys knowledge of the game blows mine away.I have to figure if they had a
team it would have plenty of good football minds running it and supporting it.
However the distance is not ideal..I wish NFL Europe had worked out years ago.
I think they should try that again.We would have another feeder system to the
NFL.

sutz

Reaction score
I don't even like one game a year over there. :229031_shrug:

The NFL might be trying to expand internationally, but I'm not sure they are all that interested in it, other than annual "events" they can go to. We tried to get them interested a few years back. Granted, it was AA ball but in the end Europeans wouldn't support a full season league. I wonder why they would keep trying.

American football is never going to supplant Soccer as their main sport.

OP
OP
Lords of Scythia

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
IndyHawk":1jl2rg3h said:
Sgt. Largent":1jl2rg3h said:

It's funny because I see a few UK guys that really know the game and take it to a level
that I never thought possible from outside the U.S ..I have been watching since I was 7
but these guys knowledge of the game blows mine away.I have to figure if they had a
NFL.
If NFL Europe is a separate league, sounds great, like the CFL that Warren Moon was disgustingly forced to go through. Your friends sound great. Do they riot for their specific NFL teams?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
IndyHawk":1k4w9kdp said:
Sgt. Largent":1k4w9kdp said:

NFL.

My sample size is small, maybe I am underestimating the appetite for the NFL in the UK. I really have no idea other than what my handful of buddies tell me.

They enjoy the NFL, it's kind of a late night sports thing to watch.........but like others have said it'll never supplant soccer.

I get the NFL wanting to broaden their market interest, I just think Mexico and even Canada before the UK makes more sense to me interest wise and logistically.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
IndyHawk":2wlgwchx said:
Sgt. Largent":2wlgwchx said:

NFL.

There was a 4some of brits at the jax game last year. They seemed up on the game as well.

For me.....no. I think they like what we are doing just playing a few games over there for the pleasure of it. Go all out and have a team there...naw. I dont even think they would like it as the joy would wear off quickly. I shall ask a friend of a different team what he thinks, too.

TreeRon

Reaction score
Probably wouldn't supplant soccer nor does it need to. We have baseball, basketball, hockey, soccer, golf and football as televised sports in the US.
Europe's population could support american football to the degree that we support soccer or hockey for example.

When countries can contribute their own players to the teams people will be even more enthusiastic.

Playing sports with and vs. foreign competitors is a great way to enhance diplomacy and world peace. The more people from around the world commingle the better. Perhaps we'll see each other as neighbors, just like the folks down the street.

Here's just one country's example: https://www.afbn.nl/

chris98251

Reaction score
TreeRon":3eatsdpe said:
Probably wouldn't supplant soccer nor does it need to. We have baseball, basketball, hockey, soccer, golf and football as televised sports in the US.
Europe's population could support american football to the degree that we support soccer or hockey for example.

When countries can contribute their own players to the teams people will be even more enthusiastic.

Playing sports with and vs. foreign competitors is a great way to enhance diplomacy and world peace. The more people from around the world commingle the better. Perhaps we'll see each other as neighbors, just like the folks down the street.

Here's just one countries example: https://www.afbn.nl/

We used to call that sport wars about 70 years ago.

Having a league there and South America / Mexico as well as Canada that all have the same basic rules and then playoffs and a World Bowl would be great in about 25 years when everyone gets better. It would be like the Olympics in Basketball for a while where nobody could touch the US until they adopted a bit of our style and not so by the book play.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Believe it or not but most European countries actually have American Football leagues, albeit very small but they enjoy the sport. So do the Japanese, they have a hard time understanding the game though.

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
TreeRon":188zm9fa said:
I'd be okay with it. The flight time from NYC to London is 6.2 hours NYC to Seattle is 4.3 hours. I think the NFL would like to get a European League eventually and they have to start somewhere.
BTW, I was in Brittany, France this spring and they're playing American football there. I know some colleges in Scotland do as well.
How fast is that jet traveling fro NYC to Seattle? 4.3 hours? Maybe in a cartoon. 6 hours is more like it.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
MD5eahawks":zmxhf5aa said:
TreeRon":zmxhf5aa said:
How fast is that jet traveling fro NYC to Seattle? 4.3 hours? Maybe in a cartoon. 6 hours is more like it.

Actually in a perfect world...yarite nevermind that...but calculator said this...."5 hours, 28 minutes" on computer. 3 time zones that are crossed.
https://www.travelmath.com/flying-time/ ... eattle,+WA

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
chris98251":2lrhtutw said:
They were saying 9 hour flight in the broadcast.
9 hrs? From NYC to maybe Frankfurt but not London and certainly not NYC to Seattle. What flight were they talking about?