Rams @ 49ers 39-10, expert feedback wanted

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
This is an invitation for expert fans of these teams or of the game to discuss specifically how the meltdown today occurred.

It is not a surprise that the 49ers lost. I did not watch the whole game, but what I saw just seems like "boink! Another turnover!" combined with ER as more players become injured.

How many 49ers starters remain active? Is there merit in pulling CJB for Mullens, or is the poor play a function of injury-wide collapse, poor coaching, something else?

As far as Rams, they're 7-0. What vulnerabilities DO they have?

SF49r

Reaction score
Turnovers, -16 turnover margin for the season and 5 turnovers vs the rams. Other than injuries that's been the story of the season

Marvin49

Reaction score
Boils down to this for me.

Right now, Rams are ALOT better. More talent all over the roster. There is a reason they are now 7-0.

Better at QB, Better at RB, better at WR, Better at O-Line, better a D-Line, better at DB

About the only place the Niners have an advantage is LB.

Still, the Niners could have won that game if they didn't make errors...and they made ALOT. I mean, ALOT.

CJ is a turnover machine. EIGHT in 3 games. He fumbles and he throws late. He holds the ball and he gets sacked. I keep hearing how tough he is be he is his own worst enemy. There are times he makes a great play, but he hold the ball way too long and throws late all the time.

Some of his INTs have been of the "great defensive play" variety, but he's got some Alex Smith in him...IE, he waits too long to throw, the defender starts to break, and routine cathes become contested catches and bad stuff happens.

Its not all CJ tho. So many errors. So many injuries. They needed to play perfect to have a chance. They didn't. It wasn't close. End of story.

Rams are better.

rlkats

Reaction score
Rams are a talented and have solid coaching. This Rams team is going to the playoffs and will be one and done. I marked this as a HUGE loss. With a solid D and a effective offense the Rams will fail (broncos game with a joke QB) Besides Donald and Suh their D is average. I am still not sold of Goff.

Anyways. My Niners are a shit show without their starting

QB
RB
CB

And half of the damn team looking like a fricken mash unit. With Jimmy in this would have been a very different game. Possibly still a loss but a different game. He process info light years faster that captain corn field Beathard. CJ process info like an 3year old trying to do Trig.

Fade

Reaction score
The 49ers have the right coaches in place, they just have been decimated by injuries.

Long term wise for them I question whether they can build a championship level defense.

It is a lost year due to the QB going down. Wins are irrelevant for them the remainder of the season.

Lynch has to come up with a couple of blue chip players in the upcoming draft, and Jimmy G has to stay healthy for 16 games.

Shanny & Lynch took over the Cleveland Browns West, the turnaround wasn't going to happen overnight.

When a team bottoms out like the Niners have, it usually takes 5 years to climb out of the abyss.

This is year 2.

3 more to go.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
I was watching the game today at a bar, and I had a realization - if you take the 9ers QB name and split it by syllables it's " Beat hard"., And that's a terrible name for a QB...

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
GeekHawk":38umm339 said:
I was watching the game today at a bar, and I had a realization - if you take the 9ers QB name and split it by syllables it's " Beat hard"., And that's a terrible name for a QB...
If you take the QB’s name and replace it with nearly any other currently starting QB in in the league right now they are 3-3. That kid has turned the ball over more than Bubba turns out fresh fish in the penitentiary.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
I was pleasantly surprised with the defense yesterday. Finally played up to the potential.

People will say the Niners have injuries, and look at their record, and blah blah blah. Same shit people have done to the Rams all year - who have we beat?

Well, the Niners have played @Minnesota, KC, LA Chargers and Packers - 2.5 of those games were QB'd by Beathard - and then home games against the Cardinals, Lions and now the Rams - and we handed them by far their worst loss of the season. They had legitimate chances to beat both the Chargers and Packers on the road with Beathard.

Not only that, but the Rams did this playing our third consecutive road game - and while this was still in the state of CA, it's not like LA and SF are all that close. And on top of that, the offense didn't play very well.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
rlkats":2oy4ndjl said:
Rams are a talented and have solid coaching. This Rams team is going to the playoffs and will be one and done. I marked this as a HUGE loss. With a solid D and a effective offense the Rams will fail (broncos game with a joke QB) Besides Donald and Suh their D is average. I am still not sold of Goff.

Anyways. My Niners are a shit show without their starting

QB
RB
CB

And half of the damn team looking like a fricken mash unit. With Jimmy in this would have been a very different game. Possibly still a loss but a different game. He process info light years faster that captain corn field Beathard. CJ process info like an 3year old trying to do Trig.

Rams secondary is still very good, despite giving up a few big plays this year. Littleton is also a much better LB than people realize, and Barron is solid. That's why the ceiling for this defense is being the best overall in the league.

As far as Goff, I have to disagree. He's gotten much better this year over last.

Did you actually watch the Rams -Broncos game? The Broncos never had the ball with a chance to tie the game - the score made it look closer than it really was.

Agree that the game would have been different with Jimmy - Rams didn't play very well on offense. Without the turnovers and with a few more points from the Niners offense, this would have been a game.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":1wq4oyja said:
This is an invitation for expert fans of these teams or of the game to discuss specifically how the meltdown today occurred.

It is not a surprise that the 49ers lost. I did not watch the whole game, but what I saw just seems like "boink! Another turnover!" combined with ER as more players become injured.

How many 49ers starters remain active? Is there merit in pulling CJB for Mullens, or is the poor play a function of injury-wide collapse, poor coaching, something else?

As far as Rams, they're 7-0. What vulnerabilities DO they have?

The crazy thing about the Rams this year is that we really haven't played a "perfect" game yet. The defense has played great against the Raiders, Cards, Niners - three bad teams (although as I said above, the Niners have played some good teams close). Then the offense carried them against the Chargers, Vikings and Seahawks.

And then against the Broncos both had lapses and still found a way to win.

If a team committed to the ground game for 60 minutes, ala Seattle, it would put the defense in a position they dont want to be in.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":147beof0 said:
GeekHawk":147beof0 said:
If you take the QB’s name and replace it with nearly any other currently starting QB in in the league right now they are 3-3. That kid has turned the ball over more than Bubba turns out fresh fish in the penitentiary.
I'm sure the Bills would prefer to have Beathard over either Peterman or Anderson at this point.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
I standby my previous statement.

Kyle Shannahan is the problem.

Prove me wrong.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
49ers:

Four turnovers and a blocked punt in the endzone.

The 9ers dramatically increase the margin by which they're worst in the league in turnover differential. :lol:

Overall I thought the defense played much better than it has in the past, and didn't have the mental breakdowns that have been plaguing them. That's particularly noteworthy given how much deception is in McVay's scheme.

As for the offense, every week I'm surprised that it's semi-functional.

Beathard is improved, but most of those sacks are on him. He also missed more throws than he has this year (although still less than last year). I think he's a decent backup.

Mostert has really looked good these past two weeks, and looked good in the pre-season too.

Nice to see them FINALLY let Thomas play 3 tech a little bit.

Witherspoon gave up a TD but overall played fairly well.

Foster was invisible.

Tartt had a nice game.

McGlinchey had his worst game of the year.

The lack of edge pressure is hard to watch.

Cassius Marsh is my least favorite 49er, and it's not really close. It's possible I haven't disliked a 9ers player this much since Derek Smith.

Rams:

The best team in football, and very, very well coached.

I think over time they'll be well-served by changing their personnel groupings on offense more. I get why they're doing it, I just don't think it's an effective strategy in the long-term.

The jet sweep/tap pass is this year's wildcat, read/option, etc.

Funny in that even though everyone's been running RPOs for four or five years now, this was finally the year that the media started obsessing over RPOs, and it's really not the play that innovative offenses are pushing the boundaries on anymore. :lol:

His stat line was good and I liked how he used the pocket, but this wasn't a great game by Goff.

Phillips did a really good job disguising his coverages. Kyle uses pre-snap motion to deduce coverages, and from that it looked like the Rams were playing a lot of man, but they were almost always playing a disguised soft shell zone. It was smart, led to a fair number of the Rams' sacks, and also eliminated the 9ers WRs from the game fairly well.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Sox-n-Hawks":1i0g1kcn said:

Prove me wrong.

Playing with their backup QB, 3rd and 4th string running backs, and WRs who can't stay on the field the 9ers are 13th in the league in offensive yards per game.

If you think that's just because they're down and gobbling up yards while playing catch up, they're 2nd in rushing yards per game, so we can disprove that one too.

There.

You're wrong.

Have a nice day.

:lol: :2thumbs:

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2pcwt7ti said:
Sox-n-Hawks":2pcwt7ti said:

Prove me wrong.

Playing with their backup QB, 3rd and 4th string running backs, and WRs who can't stay on the field the 9ers are 13th in the league in offensive yards per game.

If you think that's just because they're down and gobbling up yards while playing catch up, they're 2nd in rushing yards per game, so we can disprove that one too.

There.

You're wrong.

Have a nice day.

It starts at the top. Beathard isn't that bad. Aside from his short stint at Atlanta. When has Shanny been successful? He's a garbage coach. We're talking Jeff Fisher bad here folks.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Sox-n-Hawks":1325i813 said:
Popeyejones":1325i813 said:
Sox-n-Hawks":1325i813 said:

Prove me wrong.

There.

You're wrong.

Have a nice day.

It starts at the top. Beathard isn't that bad. Aside from his short stint at Atlanta. When has Shanny been successful? He's a garbage coach. We're talking Jeff Fisher bad here folks.

Oh, okay. Cool.

I didn't realize we were just having an edgelord contest.

I tip my fedora to you sir, and bid you g'day.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2esgu7ys said:
49ers:

Four turnovers and a blocked punt in the endzone.

The 9ers dramatically increase the margin by which they're worst in the league in turnover differential. :lol:

Overall I thought the defense played much better than it has in the past, and didn't have the mental breakdowns that have been plaguing them. That's particularly noteworthy given how much deception is in McVay's scheme.

As for the offense, every week I'm surprised that it's semi-functional.

Beathard is improved, but most of those sacks are on him. He also missed more throws than he has this year (although still less than last year). I think he's a decent backup.

Mostert has really looked good these past two weeks, and looked good in the pre-season too.

Nice to see them FINALLY let Thomas play 3 tech a little bit.

Witherspoon gave up a TD but overall played fairly well.

Foster was invisible.

Tartt had a nice game.

McGlinchey had his worst game of the year.

The lack of edge pressure is hard to watch.

Cassius Marsh is my least favorite 49er, and it's not really close. It's possible I haven't disliked a 9ers player this much since Derek Smith.

Rams:

The best team in football, and very, very well coached.

I think over time they'll be well-served by changing their personnel groupings on offense more. I get why they're doing it, I just don't think it's an effective strategy in the long-term.

The jet sweep/tap pass is this year's wildcat, read/option, etc.

Funny in that even though everyone's been running RPOs for four or five years now, this was finally the year that the media started obsessing over RPOs, and it's really not the play that innovative offenses are pushing the boundaries on anymore. :lol:

His stat line was good and I liked how he used the pocket, but this wasn't a great game by Goff.

Phillips did a really good job disguising his coverages. Kyle uses pre-snap motion to deduce coverages, and from that it looked like the Rams were playing a lot of man, but they were almost always playing a disguised soft shell zone. It was smart, led to a fair number of the Rams' sacks, and also eliminated the 9ers WRs from the game fairly well.

Very good assessment IMO.

I agree about the personnel groupings, but part of me has been wondering all year if there's a part of McVay's playbook that we're not even tapping into yet. The offense came out very sluggish, and I was happy to see Malcolm Brown get more carries. I get that Gurley is possibly the best weapon in the NFL, but he's being used too much. We're in this thing to win it all, so I'd have him and Malcolm split carries the rest of the year (with Todd in for passing downs more often) and then use him more in the playoffs.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^^ Yeah, will be really curious to see if the Rams start incorporating more personnel groups as the season goes on.

It's kinda neat to watch the Shanahan and McVay matchup as they're ultimately trying to do very similar things albeit in very different ways.

It was admittedly frustrating as hell to see the 9ers defense get burned on the same concepts that they're defending against in practice week in and week out. :lol:

And good call on Brown. Nice game by him. From this game my assumption is he doesn't offer much in the passing game and isn't splitting out wide, but in addition to looking like a nice player he's a good compliment to Gurley too.

Gurley is a bit of a glider (that's not an insult) and really smart and deceptive with small movements and adjusting his speed, whereas Brown seems like he relies more on popping through the holes that are given to him and keeping his pad level down and pointing forward throughout the play. Contrasting those two running styles is definitely a pain in the ass for d-lineman to contend with.

SF49r

Reaction score
Shanahans been great this team just has a knack for turning the ball over in crucial moments like redzone or in the 4th quarter. Not sure how much you can pin it on Shanahan when a wide open receiver tips a pass into an interception or beathard getting sack fumbled on a missed block or RB losing the ball on a routine run. Who knows how different it would be if Jimmy and McKinnon were back there.

But -16 turnover margin is very concerning to have on your track record which is the #1 reason why this team is 1-6.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Sox-n-Hawks":2c9qo4uv said:
Popeyejones":2c9qo4uv said:
Sox-n-Hawks":2c9qo4uv said:

Prove me wrong.

There.

You're wrong.

Have a nice day.

"Beathard isn't that bad".

I actually do agree with that on some level, but the dude has turned the ball over 8 times in three weeks. The dude is constantly throwing late.

When the Niners switched to Garoppolo last year this is what happened...

Yards Per Game: 321 / 410
Points Per Game: 17 / 28.8
Yards per play: 4.9 / 6.1
Passing yards per game: 221.8 / 297
Passer Rating: 72.6 / 94.0
Passing Yards per Attempt: 5.66 (29th in NFL) / 8.44 (1st in NFL)

So...yeah. SLIGHT dropoff from Garoppolo to Beathard.

Beathard makes some good throws from time to time and he's a tough kid, but he CONSTANTLY holds the ball too long and throws late. This results in sacks, fumbles, and interceptions on contested throws. Additionally...he shows very little pocket presence and seldom steps up which makes it even easier for outside rushers to get to him or the ball.

The 49ers are running the ball right now with their 3rd and 4th RBs on the roster and succeeding. That's scheme. Their leading rusher yesterday was Raheem Mostert. No joke. 59 yards and 8.4 yards per carry. Breida was injured on their first offensive snap of the game and he was the backup to begin with (McKinnon tore ACL in camp).

This team has been beaten over the head with the injury stick. Garoppolo covered alot of the warts late in the year last year and they need another good draft or 2 (tho they have really found a TE in Kittle: 527 yards and 2 TDs in 7 games and he's a great blocker too).

Their WRs are invisible (Garcon not playing well, Goodwin has been hurt and out most of the hear, Pettis has been out for several weeks, Taylor had back surgery and isn't the same) yet they are STILL moving the ball and outside of yesterday putting points on the board.

Saying Shanahan is the problem is comical. His scheme and playcalling is one of the only things going RIGHT. To suggest otherwise pretty much shows you either don't watch the games, don't know what you are watching, or simply want that to be true and are trolling.

The 49ers had no answer for Aaron Donald yesterday, but few teams do. That's why he's a very rich man.