Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Can we go after Bruce Irvin? (Update: Signed with Falcons)

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • Raiders are trying to push him in a trade. Id take him back.

Thoughts?
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

Re: Can we go after bruce irvin?
Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:01 pm
  • NO!!

Thinking we are 1 player away got us into this shit jam we are in with cap.

Next year it starts to really open up...and Irvin is not the answer here.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:02 pm
  • Yeah i was saying that in that other thread....Davis & 5th rounder for Irvin. Irvin likes Seattle too.
    rcaido
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:04 pm
  • His cap number is almost all salary, so he'd cost $4.5MM in cap space for the remainder of this year, so no.
    Jeremy517
    NET Rookie

Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:07 pm
  • First thought: Poison. He chimed in when Avril said the players started questioning Carroll after SB49 interception. We don't need players who question Carroll. We need guys who buy in, shut up, and worry about their own improvement.
    KiwiHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:08 pm
  • We only have four draft picks in the 2019 draft as of now due to other moves the last few seasons.
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *

Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:08 pm
  • Seymour wrote:NO!!

Thinking we are 1 player away got us into this shit jam we are in with cap.

Next year it starts to really open up...and Irvin is not the answer here.

I think this team is close to being scary good. We need another pass rusher. I know salary cap opens up next yr as well.
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:09 pm
  • KiwiHawk wrote:First thought: Poison. He chimed in when Avril said the players started questioning Carroll after SB49 interception. We don't need players who question Carroll. We need guys who buy in, shut up, and worry about their own improvement.

Source?
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:10 pm
  • Jeremy517 wrote:His cap number is almost all salary, so he'd cost $4.5MM in cap space for the remainder of this year, so no.

Could we send a player and have Oakland eat some cap?
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:12 pm
  • Raiders want a late round pick per sources.
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:15 pm
  • Jeremy517 wrote:His cap number is almost all salary, so he'd cost $4.5MM in cap space for the remainder of this year, so no.

That's just for this year though. We still have money to spend.

Im probably wrong as i dont really know much about contracts but Bruce next year is 9million but 0 dead money, so we can cut him without losing money or re-negotiate extend his contract.

Seem like low risk high reward for this year. We are loaded w/ RB especially when we get McKissic back in couple weeks. Can also have Penny get more plays in. We can always trade backs to get more draft picks.
    rcaido
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:18 pm
  • rcaido wrote:
    Jeremy517 wrote:His cap number is almost all salary, so he'd cost $4.5MM in cap space for the remainder of this year, so no.

You need cap space for roster moves throughout the year, especially as people get hurt. Secondly, cap space rolls over to next year.
    Jeremy517
    NET Rookie

Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:20 pm
  • We never really recovered from losing him.

Filling that SLB spot or end spot has been a nightmare, as was the lack of pass rush we had.

I don't know we are close enough for it to matter, so that is a lot of risk without much upside.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:27 pm

In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:46 pm
  • Welp nm
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:15 pm
  • Well according fieldgulls post says they can afford Irvin.

rcaido
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:22 am
  • Didn’t follow Bruce, how good is he now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    ++ You can call me a homer, but I am not the only one ++
    toffee
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:50 am
  • rcaido wrote:
    Jeremy517 wrote:His cap number is almost all salary, so he'd cost $4.5MM in cap space for the remainder of this year, so no.

Im probably wrong as i dont really know much about contracts but Bruce next year is 9million but 0 dead money, so we can cut him without losing money or re-negotiate extend his contract.

Seem like low risk high reward for this year. We are loaded w/ RB especially when we get McKissic back in couple weeks. Can also have Penny get more plays in. We can always trade backs to get more draft picks.

Remember last season when Mckissic, Carson, Procise, and Davis all went down? Yeah me too. You don't mess with the running game right now, period. Penny in his current iteration is a clear downgrade from Davis.

Irvin's main deal is he set the run when he was a LB for us. He was decidedly mediocre as a pass rusher. A good utility player that could do a bit of everything, but certainly not someone you would want to go and and trade for --- especially since he plays a position that didn't see a lot of playing time on the Seahawks. We also don't have many draft picks this season, I doubt it would be a straight across trade, a Davis for Irvin. Not worth it.
    Spin Doctor
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:14 pm
  • Would have loved to see Bruce back, he'd fit in perfectly in the D-line rotation and give Frank some help.

But I get it, we already don't have a 2nd and 6th next year, so unless the Raiders were willing to accept a 2020 pick, I doubt John and Pete wanted to compromise any more picks for 2019.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:35 pm
  • I remember Irvin as the perfect "keep Kaepernick in check" player. Kaep would run all over every other team but just kind of hurt us a little since Irvin had that great combo of speed and size to contain him
    Swedishhawkfan
    NET Veteran

Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:01 pm
    In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:25 pm
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:29 pm
  • KitsapGuy wrote:

Where there's a will, there are relatives. :twisted:
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• Don't want him. He was part of the anti-Russ dysfunction here, especially after "the play" and his quotes in the locker room. Not sure why people are obsessed with the past. If he was an elite talent I'd understand but he's B level at his position
    Scorpion05
    NET Veteran

• Scorpion05 wrote:Don't want him. He was part of the anti-Russ dysfunction here, especially after "the play" and his quotes in the locker room. Not sure why people are obsessed with the past. If he was an elite talent I'd understand but he's B level at his position

Ok you are right, bye Irvin,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

++ You can call me a homer, but I am not the only one ++
    toffee
    NET Veteran

• In my opinion, Bruce Irvin made a living off his athleticism and implied potential. He struggled to develop into a complete well rounded player. And after considerably more than 12 weeks of investing in the development of a rapidly improving 2018 Seahawks front seven, I see nothing to be gained and much to be risked in mucking that up by making room for someone that has long since been replaced.

"Irvin played just nine snaps in a 34-3 loss to the 49ers Thursday night. Counted upon to provide an outside pass rush for the Raiders, especially after the trade of Khalil Mack, Irvin has a team-high three sacks but has been largely ineffective on a team with the NFL’s worst pass rush.
    Irvin played only 24 of 78 defensive snaps (31%) in Oakland’s 42-28 loss to Indianapolis and didn’t record a single stat. That comes a game after he was non-existent in a 27-3 loss against the Seahawks, when he recorded a single tackle and implied after the game he was more concerned with making babies with his wife than the 24-point loss." -- Mercury News
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

• You have to know if we did get him coach would put him in a position to succeed.
    Michael Dickson, P, Texas: 2018 Adopt a Probowl Rookie
    Atradees
    NET Veteran

• Jville wrote:In my opinion, Bruce Irvin made a living off his athleticism and implied potential. He struggled to develop into a complete well rounded player. And after considerably more than 12 weeks of investing in the development of a rapidly improving 2018 Seahawks front seven, I see nothing to be gained and much to be risked in mucking that up by making room for someone that has long since been replaced.

"Irvin played just nine snaps in a 34-3 loss to the 49ers Thursday night. Counted upon to provide an outside pass rush for the Raiders, especially after the trade of Khalil Mack, Irvin has a team-high three sacks but has been largely ineffective on a team with the NFL’s worst pass rush.
    Irvin played only 24 of 78 defensive snaps (31%) in Oakland’s 42-28 loss to Indianapolis and didn’t record a single stat. That comes a game after he was non-existent in a 27-3 loss against the Seahawks, when he recorded a single tackle and implied after the game he was more concerned with making babies with his wife than the 24-point loss." -- Mercury News

Wait... wait... the Raiders just cut their sack leader? Bahahahahahaha. Now I know they're tanking for next year.
    "The ultimate number is W's, and that’s what matters in Santa Clara. As such, Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does." - Paul Gutierrez
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• If he clears waivers; does that mean we can sign him for less than is current contract?
    Hawksfan78
    NET Starter

• Yeah, I just assumed he wouldn't get picked up via waivers, but someone might want to take a flyer.
    rain7
    NET Starter

• Nope. This will never happen. We are better without Kam, Earl, Sherm, Bennet, and Avril. Why would we need another relic around? The past is over. Young and hungry. Not old and in the way...
    evergreen
    NET Veteran

• With that logic, we should get rid of sweezy then???
    Hawksfan78
    NET Starter

• If you can sign him to Vet minimum type deal then grab him.
    If he’s all about the money then let him hang out at home.
    Cheap insurance for Jordan, Green and Clark is fine by my books.
    Mad Dog
    NET Veteran

• Hawksfan78 wrote:With that logic, we should get rid of sweezy then???

JR Sweezy is a 3 down starter who has made an exemplary come back from injury. Bruce Irvin is in decline in both skill and focus without any residual prospects for developing into a focused 3 down player.

3. Why would the Raiders dump Bruce Irvin now? Because he’d lost a step, they shopped him ahead of the trade deadline, and word is he’s grown unhappy with his shrinking role. Irvin has played less than half the Raiders’ defensive snaps (48 percent), and that number has been falling of late—he went from 41 snaps against Seattle to 24 against the Colts to 9 on Thursday night against the Niners. At this point, it makes sense for the scuffling Raiders to invest their time and resources into young D-linemen like Maurice Hurst and Arden Key. https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/11/04/week-9-news-notes-baker-mayfield-browns-coaching-sam-bradford-bruce-irvin-released-dalvin-cook?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=sinow&xid=socialflow_twitter_si&utm_medium=social

Bruce Irvin would not fit and would quickly become unhappy and disruptive to Seattle's new defense. Seattle has Frank Clark, Dion Jordan and Jacob Martin all competing for precious snaps in that Leo role and more. From what I have seen to date, an up and coming Jacob Martin is vastly preferable over a rapidly fading poseur. Plus, Rasheem Green returns from injury and needs snaps to restart his game day development and experience.

Beyond Seattle, there are other teams out there, including dysfunctional organizations, with far greater need to risk taking a chance on Irvin.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:48 am
  • KiwiHawk wrote:First thought: Poison. He chimed in when Avril said the players started questioning Carroll after SB49 interception. We don't need players who question Carroll. We need guys who buy in, shut up, and worry about their own improvement.

Well said. +1.
    "You don't always get to play playoff games at home, or conference championships at home, or superbowls at home. You have to have the mindset that you can play to your potential wherever you are." - Pete Carroll
    nwHawk
    NET Veteran

• saying he wouldn’t fit in the same defense he was used to playing in or declining with no proof is silly to me. He had his best years under Ken Norton. I see nothing wrong with giving him a chance, especially with all the injuries that can and do happen.
    Hawksfan78
    NET Starter

• If Bruce clears waivers, I would be surprised if he's not a Seahawk by Wednesday morning. If you have a shot at adding a quality pass rusher who has experience and versatility in your scheme for the veteran minimum, you've got to do it. He can back up Mingo at SAM, add to your pass rush rotation and allow you to rush Dion Jordan from the inside in nickel situations.

When I look at the types of players you need to stop offenses like the Rams and Chiefs, Bruce Irvin and Bark Mingo are exactly the types of guys I think about. It's rare to have 1 big guy with the athleticism to both rush the passer and drop into coverage, having two allows you to play a smaller lineup to stop the passing game while still be able to stop the run. Add on top of that Bobby, KJ, Jordan, and Kendricks you suddenly have a front 7 that can pretty much shift in every possible way pre and post snap which as we've seen from Alabama in college can absolutely shut down the misdirection / spread heavy offenses.
    knownone
    NET Veteran

KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• KitsapGuy wrote:

To follow up on this, It's incredibly unlikely Bruce gets claimed. His contract is guaranteed, so any team that claims him takes on the remainder of his contract. If he goes unclaimed Bruce can sign with any team for the minimum and the Raiders will have to pay the difference.
    knownone
    NET Veteran

• knownone wrote:
    KitsapGuy wrote:

To follow up on this, It's incredibly unlikely Bruce gets claimed. His contract is guaranteed, so any team that claims him takes on the remainder of his contract. If he goes unclaimed Bruce can sign with any team for the minimum and the Raiders will have to pay the difference.

I say sign him for a dollar !

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• chris98251 wrote:
    knownone wrote:
    KitsapGuy wrote:

Are you sure you would not go 2 dollars????

R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

• knownone wrote:
    KitsapGuy wrote:

Any idea the timetable on that?
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• Probably Wednesday before we know anything.
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• Seahawkfan80 wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:

We could probably go as high as $3.50.

"The ultimate number is W's, and that’s what matters in Santa Clara. As such, Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does." - Paul Gutierrez
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• Seahawk Sailor wrote:
    Seahawkfan80 wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:

We could probably go as high as $3.50.

Do I hear 4 bucks 4 bucks 4 bucks????

R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

• I'd give him $5

Seanhawk
    NET Veteran

• Speculation is fixing to start up again ..............................

Many are prone to the notion that anyone can be fixed or accommodated. So we're fixing to see what happens.

Edit addition to post: Why Seahawks are top candidates to sign Bruce Irvin if he clears waivers--and why they may not >>> Read more here: https://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/nfl/seattle-seahawks/article221193980.html#storylink=cpy
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• 4$ 4$ 4$ equals 12 bucks.......
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

• Signed with the Falcons. One year deal.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

Next

It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:46 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information