Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Why the Hell did Lions trade Tate to Eagles??

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13

• They are 3-4 and just lost in their house to a Seahawks team that many had written off. I don't blame them for taking a 3rd round pick for a guy they were not likely to keep next year anyway.

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

• That's a win-win. He is a huge boost to Philly's offense, and the Lions were probably going to lose him in the offseason anyway.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

• kidhawk wrote:They are 3-4 and just lost in their house to a Seahawks team that many had written off. I don't blame them for taking a 3rd round pick for a guy they were not likely to keep next year anyway.

Why would they not keep him next year? He is their top receiver and not costing them a true top #1 salary??

Also....they are 1 game out of first in their division??
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• Seymour wrote:
    kidhawk wrote:They are 3-4 and just lost in their house to a Seahawks team that many had written off. I don't blame them for taking a 3rd round pick for a guy they were not likely to keep next year anyway.

Why would they not keep him next year? He is their top receiver and not costing them a true top #1 salary??

Doesn't make sense to me either. Tate has clearly been their best weapon on offense since Calvin Johnson retired. IMO, he's the type of player you make sure you keep hold of unless you have an obvious and capable replacement already lined up -- which I don't believe the Lions do.

Tate's probably wondering what he has to do to stick with a franchise.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

• Tate went for more than D Thomas from the Broncos. Pretty cool.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

• JGfromtheNW wrote:
    Seymour wrote:
    kidhawk wrote:They are 3-4 and just lost in their house to a Seahawks team that many had written off. I don't blame them for taking a 3rd round pick for a guy they were not likely to keep next year anyway.

Doesn't make sense to me either. Tate has clearly been their best weapon on offense since Calvin Johnson retired. IMO, he's the type of player you make sure you keep hold of unless you have an obvious and capable replacement already lined up -- which I don't believe the Lions do.

Tate's probably wondering what he has to do to stick with a franchise.

Exactly! They had a #1 for $6.2M average per year! Give him a raise to $10M but don't give up on your season when you are just 1 game out. What losers!!
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• Seymour wrote:

I have no idea why they would't keep him, but they supposedly didn't try to extend him, and he chose to play out his contract. Maybe they want to go younger, maybe they want to go taller? Maybe they want to go cheaper? It's hard to say since I don't really follow the Lions all that closely. I do know that a 3rd rounder now is likely more than they would have gotten with any possible comp pick they would have received.

As for them still being in the running for the division, this is true, but a realistic look at their team and they aren't ready for a run yet, and the Eagles likely overpaid for Tate (unless of course they extend him), and if I were them I'd take the 3rd round pick too.

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

• This was weird.

But Philly just got more dangerous.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

• A 3rd? Wow! Detroit made out! No way could you get a 3rd comp if someone else signed Tate away in the off season!

I think Golden might be on the downhill swing in his career. He dropped a few balls the other day.

edit:

Dammit kid! You stole my "3rd round comp" idea then posted in front of me!
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy

http://ivotuk.com/
    ivotuk
    * NET Moderator *

• The Lions are way under the cap for next year and are likely to be big offseason spenders. A comp pick for Tate was probably not going to happen.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

• kidhawk wrote:
    Seymour wrote:

I have no idea why they would't keep him, but they supposedly didn't try to extend him, and he chose to play out his contract. Maybe they want to go younger, maybe they want to go taller? Maybe they want to go cheaper? It's hard to say since I don't really follow the Lions all that closely. I do know that a 3rd rounder now is likely more than they would have gotten with any possible comp pick they would have received.

As for them still being in the running for the division, this is true, but a realistic look at their team and they aren't ready for a run yet, and the Eagles likely overpaid for Tate (unless of course they extend him), and if I were them I'd take the 3rd round pick too.

Bizarre!

Tate must either have the plague or he messed with Staffords wife too??

I agree a 3rd is a good deal for the Lions, but pissing their fans off by packing it in is pathetic IMO.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• Seymour wrote:

^^
    This.

Alas, it’s the Lions. Perennial losers.
    Seahwkgal
    * NET Hottie *

• The Lions have Marvin Jones who is younger and just as cheap and they have a budding star in Golladay who they want to play more. Trading Tate now and getting a 3rd for him was a good move on their part especially because they already decided they weren't going to pay top money to keep him around next year when he's 31.
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran

• Well, a 3rd these days is a pretty decent return. That being said, the Champs just got a lot better by adding Taint.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• SoulfishHawk wrote:Well, a 3rd these days is a pretty decent return. That being said, the Champs just got a lot better by adding Taint.

I think they (Eagles) weakened their stance because of cap issues. You have better chances at reducing the cap with that 3rd then with Tate and a new deal (their 2019 cap is worse than this season). They got a bit better, but I doubt he moves the needle much for them. I don't think they have a real shot this year either, but we will see.

Edit: To give you an idea of what I'm talking about. We have $62M in cap space for 2019, the Eagles have $6m BEFORE adding Tate (2019).
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• Seymour wrote:

I told you why, because he's gonna want what Mike Evans and Brandon Cooks just got going into FA next year.........and that's around 15-16M.

Maybe he'd give Detroit a little hometown discount cause he likes it there. But if you're Patricia and Detroit and think you're still 2-3 years away from seriously competing in arguably the toughest division in the league? You grab the 3rd and not get into a cap situation trying to add parts.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Jones and Golladay are better. Tate likely screwed Stafford's wife as well...
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions 2014.02.02 Seahawks 43 Broncos 8
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran

• Seems like a very Patriots type move to me. Cut a big name guy BEFORE his value drops to zero. Remind me which coaching tree Patricia hails from?
    Fire Tom Cable

Still can't believe we let Alex Collins go
    bigskydoc
    NET Veteran

• Seymour wrote:
    SoulfishHawk wrote:Well, a 3rd these days is a pretty decent return. That being said, the Champs just got a lot better by adding Taint.

I think they (Eagles) weakened their stance because of cap issues. You have better chances at reducing the cap with that 3rd then with Tate and a new deal (their 2019 cap is worse than this season). They got a bit better, but I doubt he moves the needle much for them. I don't think they have a real shot this year either, but we will see.

Edit: To give you an idea of what I'm talking about. We have $62M in cap space for 2019, the Eagles have $6m BEFORE adding Tate (2019).

Even after this trade, the Eagles are still slated to have 11 picks in next years draft to include an additional 2nd rounder from Baltimore. They'll have plenty of picks to move around as they please.

The other deal to this is if the Eagles let Tate walk after this season and he signs a large deal elsewhere, the Eagles will collect a 3rd or 4th round comp pick in 2020---or they resign him. Regardless, after the Eagles make a few cuts before the league year starts (i.e. Nick Foles, Jason Peters, Rodney McLeod, etc.) they'll have 30-40M of cap space. They'll make it work.
    xkj1985x
    NET Rookie

• Its always smart business to move a guy for a pick that you have no intentions on retaining.
    JumpmanXhawk
    NET Bench Warmer

• Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Seymour wrote:

I told you why, because he's gonna want what Mike Evans and Brandon Cooks just got going into FA next year.........and that's around 15-16M.

Maybe he'd give Detroit a little hometown discount cause he likes it there. But if you're Patricia and Detroit and think you're still 2-3 years away from seriously competing in arguably the toughest division in the league? You grab the 3rd and not get into a cap situation trying to add parts.

Good points.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

• JGfromtheNW wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Seymour wrote:

Good points.

Not really. Both those guys are 25 years old with their best years in front of them. Tate is on the backside and will be 31 when he signs a new (3rd not 2nd) deal. Tate isn't getting over $12M max.

Better comp...this is Baldwins 1st year on his deal. He averages $11.5M. Tate will be around that.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• I would have to think this is similar to what Gruden is doing for the Raiders. Matt Patricia wants his team and for whatever reason Tate doesn’t fit. Remember when Pete got here? 250+ transactions. You have to UNload before you REload.
    ~ HOLY CATFISH ~
    MD5eahawks
    NET Veteran

• Tate's personality may not mesh with Patricia, He is outgoing, out spoken and showboat. Been that way since Michigan. Those types don't fit well in teams and coaches like Belichek and Patricia.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• They probably did it to get a draft pick.
    BirdsCommaAngry
    NET Veteran

It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:49 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information