Why the Hell did Lions trade Tate to Eagles??

kidhawk

Reaction score
They are 3-4 and just lost in their house to a Seahawks team that many had written off. I don't blame them for taking a 3rd round pick for a guy they were not likely to keep next year anyway.

Rat

Reaction score
That's a win-win. He is a huge boost to Philly's offense, and the Lions were probably going to lose him in the offseason anyway.

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
kidhawk":b0s4vsn6 said:
They are 3-4 and just lost in their house to a Seahawks team that many had written off. I don't blame them for taking a 3rd round pick for a guy they were not likely to keep next year anyway.

Why would they not keep him next year? He is their top receiver and not costing them a true top #1 salary??

Also....they are 1 game out of first in their division??

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Seymour":3ej0wpya said:
kidhawk":3ej0wpya said:

Why would they not keep him next year? He is their top receiver and not costing them a true top #1 salary??

Doesn't make sense to me either. Tate has clearly been their best weapon on offense since Calvin Johnson retired. IMO, he's the type of player you make sure you keep hold of unless you have an obvious and capable replacement already lined up -- which I don't believe the Lions do.

Tate's probably wondering what he has to do to stick with a franchise.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Tate went for more than D Thomas from the Broncos. Pretty cool.

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
JGfromtheNW":2bch8y28 said:
Seymour":2bch8y28 said:
kidhawk":2bch8y28 said:

Doesn't make sense to me either. Tate has clearly been their best weapon on offense since Calvin Johnson retired. IMO, he's the type of player you make sure you keep hold of unless you have an obvious and capable replacement already lined up -- which I don't believe the Lions do.

Tate's probably wondering what he has to do to stick with a franchise.

Exactly! They had a #1 for $6.2M average per year! Give him a raise to $10M but don't give up on your season when you are just 1 game out. What losers!!

kidhawk

Reaction score
Seymour":r1k474d2 said:
kidhawk":r1k474d2 said:

I have no idea why they would't keep him, but they supposedly didn't try to extend him, and he chose to play out his contract. Maybe they want to go younger, maybe they want to go taller? Maybe they want to go cheaper? It's hard to say since I don't really follow the Lions all that closely. I do know that a 3rd rounder now is likely more than they would have gotten with any possible comp pick they would have received.

As for them still being in the running for the division, this is true, but a realistic look at their team and they aren't ready for a run yet, and the Eagles likely overpaid for Tate (unless of course they extend him), and if I were them I'd take the 3rd round pick too.

ivotuk

Reaction score
A 3rd? Wow! Detroit made out! No way could you get a 3rd comp if someone else signed Tate away in the off season!

I think Golden might be on the downhill swing in his career. He dropped a few balls the other day.

edit:

Dammit kid! You stole my "3rd round comp" idea then posted in front of me!

Rat

Reaction score
The Lions are way under the cap for next year and are likely to be big offseason spenders. A comp pick for Tate was probably not going to happen.

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
kidhawk":3vcgymq5 said:
Seymour":3vcgymq5 said:
kidhawk":3vcgymq5 said:

I have no idea why they would't keep him, but they supposedly didn't try to extend him, and he chose to play out his contract. Maybe they want to go younger, maybe they want to go taller? Maybe they want to go cheaper? It's hard to say since I don't really follow the Lions all that closely. I do know that a 3rd rounder now is likely more than they would have gotten with any possible comp pick they would have received.

As for them still being in the running for the division, this is true, but a realistic look at their team and they aren't ready for a run yet, and the Eagles likely overpaid for Tate (unless of course they extend him), and if I were them I'd take the 3rd round pick too.

Bizarre!

Tate must either have the plague or he messed with Staffords wife too??

I agree a 3rd is a good deal for the Lions, but pissing their fans off by packing it in is pathetic IMO.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Seymour":3oerq5vt said:
kidhawk":3oerq5vt said:

^^
This.

Alas, it’s the Lions. Perennial losers.

DJrmb

Reaction score
The Lions have Marvin Jones who is younger and just as cheap and they have a budding star in Golladay who they want to play more. Trading Tate now and getting a 3rd for him was a good move on their part especially because they already decided they weren't going to pay top money to keep him around next year when he's 31.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Well, a 3rd these days is a pretty decent return. That being said, the Champs just got a lot better by adding Taint.

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2vt8884f said:
Well, a 3rd these days is a pretty decent return. That being said, the Champs just got a lot better by adding Taint.

I think they (Eagles) weakened their stance because of cap issues. You have better chances at reducing the cap with that 3rd then with Tate and a new deal (their 2019 cap is worse than this season). They got a bit better, but I doubt he moves the needle much for them. I don't think they have a real shot this year either, but we will see.

Edit: To give you an idea of what I'm talking about. We have $62M in cap space for 2019, the Eagles have $6m BEFORE adding Tate (2019).

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":1axzc35d said:
kidhawk":1axzc35d said:

I told you why, because he's gonna want what Mike Evans and Brandon Cooks just got going into FA next year.........and that's around 15-16M.

Maybe he'd give Detroit a little hometown discount cause he likes it there. But if you're Patricia and Detroit and think you're still 2-3 years away from seriously competing in arguably the toughest division in the league? You grab the 3rd and not get into a cap situation trying to add parts.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Seems like a very Patriots type move to me. Cut a big name guy BEFORE his value drops to zero. Remind me which coaching tree Patricia hails from?

xkj1985x

Reaction score
Seymour":1fju6tnf said:
SoulfishHawk":1fju6tnf said:

I think they (Eagles) weakened their stance because of cap issues. You have better chances at reducing the cap with that 3rd then with Tate and a new deal (their 2019 cap is worse than this season). They got a bit better, but I doubt he moves the needle much for them. I don't think they have a real shot this year either, but we will see.

Edit: To give you an idea of what I'm talking about. We have $62M in cap space for 2019, the Eagles have $6m BEFORE adding Tate (2019).

Even after this trade, the Eagles are still slated to have 11 picks in next years draft to include an additional 2nd rounder from Baltimore. They'll have plenty of picks to move around as they please.

The other deal to this is if the Eagles let Tate walk after this season and he signs a large deal elsewhere, the Eagles will collect a 3rd or 4th round comp pick in 2020---or they resign him. Regardless, after the Eagles make a few cuts before the league year starts (i.e. Nick Foles, Jason Peters, Rodney McLeod, etc.) they'll have 30-40M of cap space. They'll make it work.