Ram's trade 3rd and 5th for Fowler

DJrmb

Reaction score
Dante Fowler to the Rams for a 3rd round pick and a 5th.

Rams acquired DE Dante Fowler from the Jaguars.

The odd man out of the Jags' defensive end rotation, Fowler will provide instant help for Wade Phillips' defense in Los Angeles. The No. 3 overall pick of the 2015 draft has made just one career start, but that could quickly change. Fowler registered two sacks on 165 snaps in Jacksonville this season. It's a nice addition for L.A., but there is no guarantee it's an impact one.
Related: Jaguars
Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Fowler has not been very good this season. Kind of a lot to pay for an up and down player in a contract year. They needed edge, but not sure this is much of an upgrade. Nbd for us.

JGreen79

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":1u8hapn1 said:
Fowler has not been very good this season. Kind of a lot to pay for an up and down player in a contract year. They needed edge, but not sure this is much of an upgrade. Nbd for us.

Suh and Donald will probably help him get a big contract next year.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
It's the sign of the times, push all your chips in before your rookie contract franchise QB gets paid.

SkyHawks16

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":k1ayu6zb said:
It's the sign of the times, push all your chips in before your rookie contract franchise QB gets paid.
The future doesn't look that good when you don't win it all. All those picks lost, all those huge contracts to handle...not envious at all.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
JGreen79":3mostiq0 said:
Coug_Hawk08":3mostiq0 said:

Suh and Donald will probably help him get a big contract next year.

Possible. But, he already played next to some pretty great players. It’s not like he was getting doubled or chipped regularly on the Jags defense. Should be similar opportunity for him in that regard.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SkyHawks16":2h2ndnyx said:
Sgt. Largent":2h2ndnyx said:
The future doesn't look that good when you don't win it all. All those picks lost, all those huge contracts to handle...not envious at all.

Yeah but it looks great when you win one like the Hawks and Eagles just did.

The fact is the Patriots and Brady are the exception, look at the highest paid QB's in the league and you don't find too many SB winners over the past 10 years.

Certainly possible to try and achieve that Patriot sustained success, but I'd much rather we go for broke and win a SB every 10 years than be in a perpetual holding pattern of a hamstrung cap because we're paying our QB crazy money soaking up 25% of the cap space.

SkyHawks16

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3f79c9pk said:
SkyHawks16":3f79c9pk said:
Sgt. Largent":3f79c9pk said:

The fact is the Patriots and Brady are the exception, look at the highest paid QB's in the league and you don't find too many SB winners over the past 10 years.

Certainly possible to try and achieve that Patriot sustained success, but I'd much rather we go for broke and win a SB every 10 years than be in a perpetual holding pattern of a hamstrung cap because we're paying our QB crazy money soaking up 25% of the cap space.
No, don't put us with the Rams. Most of our players were drafted by us, we didn't waste picks to get big names on FA, how we won the superbowl happened organically. The Rams are getting big names, wasting their future drafts, we didn't do that. Their defense isn't really anything special despite all the big names they got.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SkyHawks16":6j0qafia said:
Sgt. Largent":6j0qafia said:
SkyHawks16":6j0qafia said:
Sgt. Largent":6j0qafia said:

No, don't put us with the Rams. Most of our players were drafted by us, we didn't waste picks to get big names on FA, how we won the superbowl happened organically. The Rams are getting big names, wasting their future drafts, we didn't do that. Their defense isn't really anything special despite all the big names they got.

Not really giving the Rams credit, most of their core players they also drafted.

Did we draft Lynch? Bennett? Clemons? Avril? Giacomini? Harvin? McDonald? Miller? McQuistan? Browner? Rice?

All I'm saying is I get what the Rams are doing. I don't like it, but I get it. Once they have to pay Goff, they lose 5-6 impact players instantly.

Marvin49

Reaction score
I'd have liked to see the Niners make a play for Fowler as pass rush is BY FAR their biggest offseason need...

...but not at that price. He'll be a free agent anyway.

Makes a bit of sense for the Rams tho if they think this is their year. I can't see them paying him next year.

SkyHawks16

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":362hvjuz said:
SkyHawks16":362hvjuz said:
Sgt. Largent":362hvjuz said:
SkyHawks16":362hvjuz said:

Not really giving the Rams credit, most of their core players they also drafted.

Did we draft Lynch? Bennett? Clemons? Avril? Giacomini? Harvin? McDonald? Miller? McQuistan? Browner? Rice?

All I'm saying is I get what the Rams are doing. I don't like it, but I get it. Once they have to pay Goff, they lose 5-6 impact players instantly.
Lynch was traded 3 years before our SB win, Avril and Bennett were cheap FAs that didn't cost us a thing in picks, Giacomini was from the Packers practice squad, Mcdonald was traded for Jennings and was basically a backup, Rice was a FA when we signed him in 2011, Miller was a FA that signed for us in 2011, same for Browner signed in 2011 as a FA, McQuistan was another no name FA, Clemmons was traded in 2010. The only one I will give you Harvin, but the rest of the team took years to come together and build to be championships. You can't compare us to what the Rams are doing, Pete build that team since he got here in 2010, making moves here and there for years. The Rams are buying the hot guys and trading for them in trades while losing their future picks. That is not us, Pete build that team, he didnt just buy big names and turn them to champions.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SkyHawks16":1haefzso said:
Lynch was traded 3 years before our SB win, Avril and Bennett were cheap FAs that didn't cost us a thing in picks, Giacomini was from the Packers practice squad, Mcdonald was traded for Jennings and was basically a backup, Rice was a FA when we signed him in 2011, Miller was a FA that signed for us in 2011, same for Browner signed in 2011 as a FA, McQuistan was another no name FA, Clemmons was traded in 2010. The only one I will give you Harvin, but the rest of the team took years to come together and build to be championships. You can't compare us to what the Rams are doing, Pete build that team since he got here in 2010, making moves here and there for years. The Rams are buying the hot guys and trading for them in trades while losing their future picks. That is not us, Pete build that team, he didnt just buy big names and turn them to champions.

Maybe we should have done what the Rams are doing, here we are starting over anyway because it took us 3-4 years to get rid of the expensive players.

Maybe if we traded away future picks for some nasty defenders in 2014 we wouldn't have been crippled in the SB with the entire LOB hurt and Avril out with a concussion leaving absolutely nobody to help Bennett rush Brady leading to losing our 10 pt lead.

You act like the Rams are beneath us, and we'll see if it'll work out for them.......but you know who's the only team in the NFL 8-0? The Rams. You know who's going to be insanely good for the next 2-3 years? The Rams.

SkyHawks16

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2b5e72tx said:
SkyHawks16":2b5e72tx said:

Maybe we should have done what the Rams are doing, here we are starting over anyway because it took us 3-4 years to get rid of the expensive players.

Maybe if we traded away future picks for some nasty defenders in 2014 we wouldn't have been crippled in the SB with the entire LOB hurt and Avril out with a concussion leaving absolutely nobody to help Bennett rush Brady leading to losing our 10 pt lead.

You act like the Rams are beneath us, and we'll see if it'll work out for them.......but you know who's the only team in the NFL 8-0? The Rams. You know who's going to be insanely good for the next 2-3 years? The Rams.
No, Pete is going back to what he knows best, what made him a Superbowl winning coach. Picking FAs studs like Mcdougald, Fluker and Mingo, getting young guys like Flowers who is a 5th rounder safety into a CB, watching guys like Tedric coming in and make a huge difference, get the running game going. Pete is going back to what made this team become champions, and it has been fun watching them do so. Look at the Eagles, the Vikings, the Jaguars, all their defenses have regressed even though all these teams have kept their studs from a year ago, it is not set in stone the Rams are going to be good the next 2-3 years, or win the superbowl.

hawks85

Reaction score
SkyHawks16":1xzldlu8 said:
Sgt. Largent":1xzldlu8 said:
SkyHawks16":1xzldlu8 said:
Sgt. Largent":1xzldlu8 said:

I agree skyhawks. The freaking rams I'm telling you. If they don't win it all this year then they wasted the future away. Their head coach will learn the hard way when they don't win it all this year. Their defense isn't impressive with all those high profile names. Now could they be dangerous yes but to many personalities on that defense.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SkyHawks16":26vv2ii8 said:
it is not set in stone the Rams are going to be good the next 2-3 years, or win the superbowl.

Nothing's set in stone, this is pro sports........and I like what Pete's doing, but you're acting like what the Rams are doing won't work, and it is working, and will work for 2-3 more years.

I don't fault the Rams for going for it, not sure why you do. You're acting like there's only one way to do it right.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
Not impressed. For a guy that was a top 3 overall pick a few years ago, he has massively underperformed.