Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Ram's trade 3rd and 5th for Fowler

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: Ram's trade 3rd and 5th for Fowler
Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:59 am
  • Wasn't there a big 'shock' reaction to them signing Suh? I remember thinking how bad ass that D was gonna look. But it didn't seem to work out that way cuz now they've gone and picked up someone to help. I have to, at this point, wait and see if this really makes the difference it should.
    There are many recipes to build a Championship team. The Rams are most certainly going all in by trading away lots of draft picks for rentals.
    ~ HOLY CATFISH ~
    MD5eahawks
    NET Veteran

Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:04 pm
  • Marvin49 wrote:
    I totally get it. I just think people overstate this.

Example: take away Lamarcus Joyner and Mark Barron's salaries and give them to Goff - that would put him near the $25-$30 million range - and replace them with rookies (given time to draft them as the Rams will be able to do) - Joyner has been a massive disappointment after last year and Barron is playing now but was injured and missed the first 4 games.

The Vikings were able to fully load their team - and then pay out a crazy QB contract.

It will hurt the flexibility, of course. But I think people really overstate this.

I can see how you see it that way as I've been in those shoes.

The problem is that it isn't that simple.

First, Goffs Contract won't be 25-30 mil per year. If he keeps playing as he does, by then it'll be 35-40. That's the escalating price of QBs.

Second, he won't be the only guy looking for a raise. If the Rams win a ring EVERYONE will be looking for a huge raise. Some guys they'll be able to extend and some they'll have to say goodbye to because those guys will be WAY overpaid by other teams and the Rams will rightly not match.

That will put a HUGE emphasis on the ability to draft guys late in the draft who can step in and fill big holes.

Don't look at past draft performance either as an indicator of future success. Almost nobody had drafts as successful as Seattle in 2010, 2011, and 2012. Those drafts propelled them to a ring.

When they ran into the above scenario, they simply couldn't replicate that success. that isn't a slam on Seattle either. NOBODY has lasting success in later rounds of the draft. Just doesn't happen.

Now maybe the Rams will be that team who can reload and move on, but it just doesn't happen anywhere with any regularity.[/quote]

Here is my question on this. Do you have a group of people that you think are more necessary for the continuation of your success besides of course the QB, that will need to be retained? One such thought would be that your backfillers/draftees could fill that hole.

What I have seen on the Hawks is the guys that proved themselves get or got a pass for a few years without competition being brought in to sustain that aggressive attitude that made our team championship level. Always competing made a difference and after they stopped bringing in guys to compete per se, they started to lose that aggressiveness. I could also say it started the downfall and the lockerroom and field cancer began. When the team is too full of itself, it loses focus and vision of the prize. Refs help too. Thanks.
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:01 am
  • MD5eahawks wrote:Wasn't there a big 'shock' reaction to them signing Suh? I remember thinking how bad ass that D was gonna look. But it didn't seem to work out that way cuz now they've gone and picked up someone to help. I have to, at this point, wait and see if this really makes the difference it should.
    There are many recipes to build a Championship team. The Rams are most certainly going all in by trading away lots of draft picks for rentals.

Rams will still have 7 draft picks this year after the compensatory picks are announced.

The following years the only draft picks we've sent out is the 5th rounder in 2020, and we will most likely get a 3rd round compensatory pick that year when Joyner gets signed by another team this offseason.
    Ramfan128
    NET Veteran

Previous

It is currently Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:18 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information