Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Joe Buck on Tom Cable

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Joe Buck on Tom Cable
Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:58 pm
  • Did anyone else hear Buck on the broadcast talking about Tom Cable?

Went like this...."up in Seattle they would just give him defensive lineman and tell him to make them offensive lineman. At least here in Oakland he has some talent to work with. He is ONE OF THE BEST offensive line coaches in the league."

I about fell off my couch.

What a totally clueless statement. Cable WAS the guy handpicking his lineman. Shortly after Oakland gave up it's 4th sack. lol
    OpHawk
    NET Starter

Re: Joe Buck on Tom Cable
Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:36 am
  • I mentioned this statement in the Raiders at Niners thread. But I think it was Aikman who said it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    James in PA
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:18 am
  • Cable's ability to make the league think he's a great line coach is impressive. Solari has taken one of the worst graded units in the NFL and within half a season put them in the top. Raiders line is likely the worst in the NFL right now.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:26 am
  • I don't get annoyed with talking heads like I used to...but that statement annoyed me. It was just wrong in so many ways. Most of the media has caught onto Seattle's strong offensive line play, but it's as if Aikman literally does no homework. For me, it's actually credibility shattering because I'll wonder about anything he says that I hadn't read somewhere else first. And it was satisfying (and actually predictable) that there'd be a sack 15 seconds later. Amazing that it was just a couple years ago that the Raiders had the #2 line behind only Dallas.
    Jac
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:38 am
  • OpHawk wrote:Did anyone else hear Buck on the broadcast talking about Tom Cable?

Went like this...."up in Seattle they would just give him defensive lineman and tell him to make them offensive lineman. At least here in Oakland he has some talent to work with. He is ONE OF THE BEST offensive line coaches in the league."

What a totally clueless statement. Cable WAS the guy handpicking his lineman. Shortly after Oakland gave up it's 4th sack. lol

And he only picked ONE defensive lineman to change in to an Olineman.

If it was Aikman, well he's had many, many concussions.

I think Cable is a disaster for Offensive Lines. He's had success with Rushing Stats, but that was almost always with a Running QB on the team, and IIRC, someone else's OLine.

You can't tout a team with high rushing yards and a running QB as proof of a great running game. You have to take the QB's yards out of it to get a look at how good the team is in rushing because that's how the teams without a running QB are evaluated.

A running QB needs a different blocking environment because they rarely run up the middle. And they start their run from a different perspective than a running back. The running QB deals less with DTs, and more with DBs.

I think Cable is full of his own success and doesn't parse the RB yards from the QB yards. "My teams get lots of rushing yards, I'm great." So he keeps giving his linemen the same limitations he always has. The only reason he had any success in Seattle, Marshawn Lynch.

His success in Atlanta? Michael Vick. Oakland? I'm old and my memory is shot. :curious:
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy

http://ivotuk.com/
    ivotuk
    * NET Moderator *

Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:20 pm
  • ivotuk wrote:
    OpHawk wrote:Did anyone else hear Buck on the broadcast talking about Tom Cable?

If it was Aikman, well he's had many, many concussions.

I think Cable is a disaster for Offensive Lines. He's had success with Rushing Stats, but that was almost always with a Running QB on the team, and IIRC, someone else's OLine.

You can't tout a team with high rushing yards and a running QB as proof of a great running game. You have to take the QB's yards out of it to get a look at how good the team is in rushing because that's how the teams without a running QB are evaluated.

A running QB needs a different blocking environment because they rarely run up the middle. And they start their run from a different perspective than a running back. The running QB deals less with DTs, and more with DBs.

I think Cable is full of his own success and doesn't parse the RB yards from the QB yards. "My teams get lots of rushing yards, I'm great." So he keeps giving his linemen the same limitations he always has. The only reason he had any success in Seattle, Marshawn Lynch.

His success in Atlanta? Michael Vick. Oakland? I'm old and my memory is shot. :curious:

He had a great knock out punch in Oakland. And a great back in McFadden and a FB Marcel Reece that did a lot of the work.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:03 pm
  • In just a few games, Cable has completely ruined one of the best Olines in the NFL. The Raiders O is REALLY bad.
    Send Lawyers, Guns and Money!
    GO 'HAWKS!!
    WmHBonney
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:27 pm
  • For the life of me I don't understand why Gruden hired him in the first place. Surely Gruden saw what was happening with everything on our O here the last several years. And Gruden's not dumb either. I just don't get it.
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:49 pm
  • West TX Hawk wrote:For the life of me I don't understand why Gruden hired him in the first place. Surely Gruden saw what was happening with everything on our O here the last several years. And Gruden's not dumb either. I just don't get it.

Maybe he’s a genius. Tank for draft position. Cable is ass and he knew he’d turn that O-line to crap in no time.
    No O-line = crappy Offense, crappy offense = losses, losses = better draft position. Or not.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:34 am
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    West TX Hawk wrote:For the life of me I don't understand why Gruden hired him in the first place. Surely Gruden saw what was happening with everything on our O here the last several years. And Gruden's not dumb either. I just don't get it.

Maybe he’s a genius. Tank for draft position. Cable is ass and he knew he’d turn that O-line to crap in no time.
    No O-line = crappy Offense, crappy offense = losses, losses = better draft position. Or not.

This thought definitely crossed my mind as well.
    OpHawk
    NET Starter

Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:59 am
  • OpHawk wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:
    West TX Hawk wrote:For the life of me I don't understand why Gruden hired him in the first place. Surely Gruden saw what was happening with everything on our O here the last several years. And Gruden's not dumb either. I just don't get it.

This thought definitely crossed my mind as well.

If he fires him after the season we may indeed have our answer.
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:40 am
  • Think Tom Cable got possessed by Andy Kaufman and he's trashing o-lines just for the personal giggles.
    BirdsCommaAngry
    NET Veteran

Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:30 am
  • chris98251 wrote:

He had a great knock out punch in Oakland. And a great back in McFadden and a FB Marcel Reece that did a lot of the work.

I see what you did there. LOL
    Fire Tom Cable

Still can't believe we let Alex Collins go
    bigskydoc
    NET Veteran

Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:59 am
  • I remember thinking Troy, you’re a dumb ass.

Not sure but I think it was Aikman too.
    ITS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SEAHAWK FAN !
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:52 am
  • Sports Hernia wrote:

Yeah, it's gotta be the long game. And Bevell has to be loving it because it's making him look at least slightly better seeing Cable crap the bed with another offense.
    "The ultimate number is W's, and that’s what matters in Santa Clara. As such, Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does." - Paul Gutierrez
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:11 pm
  • Cable the great offensive line coach who picked his linemen as far as I could tell. Hilarious.
    Michael Dickson, P, Texas: 2018 Adopt a Probowl Rookie
    Atradees
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:01 am
  • Joe Buck is an idiot.

Buck needs to stick with the MLB cause football is not his forte.
    Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    TheLegendOfBoom
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:51 am
  • Wow! I didn't know Carpenter (1st round), Ifedi (1st round), Pocic (2nd round), Britt (2nd round), Okung (1st round), Odhiambo (3rd round), Poole & Glowinski (4th round), and Moffit (3rd round) were all defensive linemen.

That is a lot to ask of anyone to turn that many defensive linemen into NFL Offensive linemen.
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    HawkFan72
    * NET Moderator *

Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:13 am
  • ivotuk wrote:
    OpHawk wrote:Did anyone else hear Buck on the broadcast talking about Tom Cable?

The funny thing is that Sweezy actually ended up being a quality offensive lineman.

There are many, many things that Cable can be criticized for. The ONE time he converted a D lineman into an O lineman isn't really one of those things though because that actually worked out.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:34 am
  • Chapow wrote:
    ivotuk wrote:

The funny thing is that Sweezy actually ended up being a quality offensive lineman.

There are many, many things that Cable can be criticized for. The ONE time he converted a D lineman into an O lineman isn't really one of those things though because that actually worked out.

He did try it with one other guy though, so it wasn't just that one time. I think it might have been that Sokoli guy.
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:14 pm
  • bigskydoc wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:

I see what you did there. LOL

Took me a second. Kudos Chris...very sneaky...very very sneak :327321_Spy_23.22:
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy

http://ivotuk.com/
    ivotuk
    * NET Moderator *

Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:00 pm
  • West TX Hawk wrote:For the life of me I don't understand why Gruden hired him in the first place. Surely Gruden saw what was happening with everything on our O here the last several years. And Gruden's not dumb either. I just don't get it.

Gruden is not a good as he's portrayed to be, IMO.

Bringing in Cable was all from Gruden.
    Vesuve
    NET Rookie

Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:07 pm
  • TheLegendOfBoom wrote:Joe Buck is an idiot.

Buck needs to stick with the MLB cause football is not his forte.

Buck is even worse at MLB. He has the uncanny ability to make you want to fall asleep in an exciting game. IMO a major reason World Series ratings have gone steadily down over the years is him and his horrific monotone. I remember around ‘96 simply because he was Jack Buck’s son, Fox made a 20 something kid with little experience and the most dull, expressionless voice west of the Mississip their #1 play by play man for the NFL and MLB. And he’ll be there another 25-30 years too. Heaven help us.
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:21 am
  • Vesuve wrote:

Gruden is not a good as he's portrayed to be, IMO.

Bringing in Cable was all from Gruden.

I don’t doubt that Cable was a Gruden decision, but I do doubt that anything can be discerned about Gruden’s capabilities until the Raiders are established in Vegas.

Consider that almost everything he has done has reeked of tanking this season for better draft position, then ask yourself, “if I were wanting to tank the upcoming season, without being completely obvious about it, who would I choose to best help me accomplish that?”

Tom Cable is the best answer to that question that I can imagine.

If Gruden is doing what I think he is doing, I expect Cable to be fired after next season.
    Fire Tom Cable

Still can't believe we let Alex Collins go
    bigskydoc
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:55 pm
  • Seanhawk wrote:
    Chapow wrote:
    ivotuk wrote:

He did try it with one other guy though, so it wasn't just that one time. I think it might have been that Sokoli guy.

Sokoli was a DL-to-OL conversion project as was Jared "fat rabbit" Smith iirc.
    Grahamhawker
    NET Veteran

It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:48 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information