Joe Buck on Tom Cable

OpHawk

Reaction score
Did anyone else hear Buck on the broadcast talking about Tom Cable?

Went like this...."up in Seattle they would just give him defensive lineman and tell him to make them offensive lineman. At least here in Oakland he has some talent to work with. He is ONE OF THE BEST offensive line coaches in the league."

I about fell off my couch.

What a totally clueless statement. Cable WAS the guy handpicking his lineman. Shortly after Oakland gave up it's 4th sack. lol

James in PA

Reaction score
I mentioned this statement in the Raiders at Niners thread. But I think it was Aikman who said it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mistaowen

Reaction score
Cable's ability to make the league think he's a great line coach is impressive. Solari has taken one of the worst graded units in the NFL and within half a season put them in the top. Raiders line is likely the worst in the NFL right now.

Jac

Reaction score
I don't get annoyed with talking heads like I used to...but that statement annoyed me. It was just wrong in so many ways. Most of the media has caught onto Seattle's strong offensive line play, but it's as if Aikman literally does no homework. For me, it's actually credibility shattering because I'll wonder about anything he says that I hadn't read somewhere else first. And it was satisfying (and actually predictable) that there'd be a sack 15 seconds later. Amazing that it was just a couple years ago that the Raiders had the #2 line behind only Dallas.

ivotuk

Reaction score
OpHawk":fpu30p69 said:

Went like this...."up in Seattle they would just give him defensive lineman and tell him to make them offensive lineman. At least here in Oakland he has some talent to work with. He is ONE OF THE BEST offensive line coaches in the league."

What a totally clueless statement. Cable WAS the guy handpicking his lineman. Shortly after Oakland gave up it's 4th sack. lol

And he only picked ONE defensive lineman to change in to an Olineman.

If it was Aikman, well he's had many, many concussions.

I think Cable is a disaster for Offensive Lines. He's had success with Rushing Stats, but that was almost always with a Running QB on the team, and IIRC, someone else's OLine.

You can't tout a team with high rushing yards and a running QB as proof of a great running game. You have to take the QB's yards out of it to get a look at how good the team is in rushing because that's how the teams without a running QB are evaluated.

A running QB needs a different blocking environment because they rarely run up the middle. And they start their run from a different perspective than a running back. The running QB deals less with DTs, and more with DBs.

I think Cable is full of his own success and doesn't parse the RB yards from the QB yards. "My teams get lots of rushing yards, I'm great." So he keeps giving his linemen the same limitations he always has. The only reason he had any success in Seattle, Marshawn Lynch.

His success in Atlanta? Michael Vick. Oakland? I'm old and my memory is shot. :curious:

chris98251

Reaction score
ivotuk":30tqnvkq said:
OpHawk":30tqnvkq said:

If it was Aikman, well he's had many, many concussions.

I think Cable is a disaster for Offensive Lines. He's had success with Rushing Stats, but that was almost always with a Running QB on the team, and IIRC, someone else's OLine.

You can't tout a team with high rushing yards and a running QB as proof of a great running game. You have to take the QB's yards out of it to get a look at how good the team is in rushing because that's how the teams without a running QB are evaluated.

A running QB needs a different blocking environment because they rarely run up the middle. And they start their run from a different perspective than a running back. The running QB deals less with DTs, and more with DBs.

I think Cable is full of his own success and doesn't parse the RB yards from the QB yards. "My teams get lots of rushing yards, I'm great." So he keeps giving his linemen the same limitations he always has. The only reason he had any success in Seattle, Marshawn Lynch.

His success in Atlanta? Michael Vick. Oakland? I'm old and my memory is shot. :curious:

He had a great knock out punch in Oakland. And a great back in McFadden and a FB Marcel Reece that did a lot of the work.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
In just a few games, Cable has completely ruined one of the best Olines in the NFL. The Raiders O is REALLY bad.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
For the life of me I don't understand why Gruden hired him in the first place. Surely Gruden saw what was happening with everything on our O here the last several years. And Gruden's not dumb either. I just don't get it.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":3rie6sjn said:
For the life of me I don't understand why Gruden hired him in the first place. Surely Gruden saw what was happening with everything on our O here the last several years. And Gruden's not dumb either. I just don't get it.
Maybe he’s a genius. Tank for draft position. Cable is ass and he knew he’d turn that O-line to crap in no time.
No O-line = crappy Offense, crappy offense = losses, losses = better draft position. Or not.

OP
OP
OpHawk

OpHawk

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":i6znxati said:
West TX Hawk":i6znxati said:
Maybe he’s a genius. Tank for draft position. Cable is ass and he knew he’d turn that O-line to crap in no time.
No O-line = crappy Offense, crappy offense = losses, losses = better draft position. Or not.

This thought definitely crossed my mind as well.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
OpHawk":tr05ut4o said:
Sports Hernia":tr05ut4o said:
West TX Hawk":tr05ut4o said:

This thought definitely crossed my mind as well.

If he fires him after the season we may indeed have our answer.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
Think Tom Cable got possessed by Andy Kaufman and he's trashing o-lines just for the personal giggles.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
chris98251":23ubie23 said:
He had a great knock out punch in Oakland. And a great back in McFadden and a FB Marcel Reece that did a lot of the work.

I see what you did there. LOL

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Sports Hernia":2fygg4ad said:
West TX Hawk":2fygg4ad said:

Yeah, it's gotta be the long game. And Bevell has to be loving it because it's making him look at least slightly better seeing Cable crap the bed with another offense.

Atradees

Reaction score
Cable the great offensive line coach who picked his linemen as far as I could tell. Hilarious.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Wow! I didn't know Carpenter (1st round), Ifedi (1st round), Pocic (2nd round), Britt (2nd round), Okung (1st round), Odhiambo (3rd round), Poole & Glowinski (4th round), and Moffit (3rd round) were all defensive linemen.

That is a lot to ask of anyone to turn that many defensive linemen into NFL Offensive linemen.

Chapow

Reaction score
ivotuk":ev8hs4ip said:
OpHawk":ev8hs4ip said:

The funny thing is that Sweezy actually ended up being a quality offensive lineman.

There are many, many things that Cable can be criticized for. The ONE time he converted a D lineman into an O lineman isn't really one of those things though because that actually worked out.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Chapow":1cgaedgz said:
ivotuk":1cgaedgz said:
OpHawk":1cgaedgz said:

The funny thing is that Sweezy actually ended up being a quality offensive lineman.

There are many, many things that Cable can be criticized for. The ONE time he converted a D lineman into an O lineman isn't really one of those things though because that actually worked out.

He did try it with one other guy though, so it wasn't just that one time. I think it might have been that Sokoli guy.