Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Le’Veon Bell has now forfeited $6.84M from his 8 weeks away

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • Hahahahahaaha What an idiot! How do people come up with these idiotic ideas of overvaluing themselves and believing that he can beat the (NFL) system? Does he even have an agent? Is the agent just as stupid? I wouldn't sign with Bell's agent for anything.

Le’Veon Bell has now forfeited $6.84M from his 8 weeks away from the 1st place Steelers.

Not including signing bonuses, no active RB will earn that much in 2018.

L. McCoy: $6.3M
    L. Miller: $5.75M
    L. Murray: $4.6M

James Conner is giving them twice the production at half the cost.

Conner's base salary this year is $578,000 for the entire season, which is slightly less than the $855,000 per WEEK that Bell will make once he signs his franchise tag.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl- ... -thriller/
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy

http://ivotuk.com/
    ivotuk
    * NET Moderator *

• What exactly is he trying to accomplish? I assume just doing the Joey Galloway thing and play as little as possible this season? And then next year assume he won't be tagged again and can hit the open market?

I guess there's the injury risk he's protecting himself from but that's an awful lot if money to give up to protect yourself. Just take out an insurance policy.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

• He's doing everything he can to insure he stays healthy before he hits the open market. The problem is Conner has been even better the Bell has the last couple of years. It would be funny if he actually got less money because people will now think it's just a system and not so much the running back. It will be interesting to see what the Steelers do when he gets back.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

• Steelers should pull the franchise tag offer and let him whither away to prove that no player will dictate an NFL team.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

• I'm not sure on any stats for this, but it just seems like coming back for the last few weeks could increase his injury risk. I dunno.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

• HawkGA wrote:I'm not sure on any stats for this, but it just seems like coming back for the last few weeks could increase his injury risk. I dunno.

Seems like we have seen this rodeo before ourselves. Come back and lo and behold...they get injured the second game. I am not sure about the article as I did not read it, but was told online or somewhere that he signs his tender and gets it all in one chunk???? I dunno tho. Sorry, just thought I heard it somewhere on one of the sites.
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

• Bell lost all leverage after Conners' first game. He/his agent are idiots.
    Send Lawyers, Guns and Money!
    GO 'HAWKS!!
    WmHBonney
    NET Veteran

• Not expected to report in time to toll a season. Don't get it. Does his tag number still go up if he never signs this one?
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

• Bell: idiot or genius? The way I understand it, he & his agent discovered a loophole in the CBA. If he sits out this entire season, the Steelers have the right to tag him again next year, but this time the tag would have him making top QUARTERBACK MONEY. Obviously, Pitt is not going to do that & he will essentially become an UFA. Yes, Bell lost out on a lot of $ this year, but he protected himself and I’m sure there will be teams with a lot of cap room throwing insane figures his way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    James in PA
    NET Veteran

• He has already turned down more money than anyone will ever offer him again so I wouldn’t call him a genius. He is on record several times demanding 15 million per year 5 years and he turned down a deal that would have paid 43 over three years and 20 the final two years of a five year extension. My question is what is the cost to the Steelers for a guy who refuses to show up? What are the Steelers obligations and impact on their cap?
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran

• Teams are going to low ball him on the next round of free agency. They will say he has no desire to play football and will quit on his team. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran

• I hope it blows up in his stupid face, lol.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

• Kirk Cousins beat the system like a red headed step child by signing the Franchise tags.
    5_Golden_Rings
    NET Veteran

• 5_Golden_Rings wrote:Kirk Cousins beat the system like a red headed step child by signing the Franchise tags.

He played every season at a position that is overvalued. He knew the market Bell not so much.
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran

• Cousins also played a position that doesn't get hurt very often and doesn't have the wear and tear issue Bell does. I'm more curious about Bell's strategy than I am judgmental. I'll be interested to see how it works out. I haven't been keeping up with all the numbers but I would suspect a running back risks more by sitting out a year and not earning money than they do by playing under the franchise tag. The injury risk is there, but the lifetime earning potential at that position is pretty short as it is. I don't see how effectively shortening it more helps him.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

• James in PA wrote:Bell: idiot or genius? The way I understand it, he & his agent discovered a loophole in the CBA. If he sits out this entire season, the Steelers have the right to tag him again next year, but this time the tag would have him making top QUARTERBACK MONEY. Obviously, Pitt is not going to do that & he will essentially become an UFA. Yes, Bell lost out on a lot of $ this year, but he protected himself and I’m sure there will be teams with a lot of cap room throwing insane figures his way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If this is true then it's the only part of the whole fiasco I find interesting at this point.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

• Well, apparently he did not report. I just don't see how he wins.
    Send Lawyers, Guns and Money!
    GO 'HAWKS!!
    WmHBonney
    NET Veteran

• WmHBonney wrote:Well, apparently he did not report. I just don't see how he wins.

Doesn't make sense to me either. This is 8+M he'll never get back.

I guess we'll see in the off season as to whether Bell was right, and someone breaks the bank for him and he gets more than the this 8M franchise tag would have paid him this year.

I do think there will be a lot of teams interested, but what Connors and other RB's have shown is that you don't need to overpay for a RB, especially a pain in the ass RB like Bell who doesn't care about pissing off his coaches and teammates........and likes to get suspended.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• RolandDeschain wrote:Steelers should pull the franchise tag offer and let him whither away to prove that no player will dictate an NFL team.

Doesn't work that way. If they pull the franchise tag he would have become a FA and won
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• OK he is dumb because he will never make up that money. He supposedly sat out mainly to get more guaranteed, but in doing so he gave up almost $15 million guaranteed money.

So did he avoid the injury risk - sure. However, he will never get this earning back

I wonder the same thing I wondered when Earl got re-injured. Does he have a nagging injury that he think will become an issue and that is why he needs the long term contract so bad that he is willing to sit out? I still believe Earl knew he had never healed properly and that is why he got so pissed when he got re-injured because he "should have known".

Separately - other teams won't worry about his willingness to play, but they will worry that he sat for a year and they will also start wondering if he was a "system RB". When some unknown guy steps in and performs as good then was it the RB or the system? Like the old Denver RBs that never did anything elsewhere (not worth their money)
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• mikeak wrote:OK he is dumb because he will never make up that money. He supposedly sat out mainly to get more guaranteed, but in doing so he gave up almost $15 million guaranteed money.

So did he avoid the injury risk - sure. However, he will never get this earning back

I wonder the same thing I wondered when Earl got re-injured. Does he have a nagging injury that he think will become an issue and that is why he needs the long term contract so bad that he is willing to sit out? I still believe Earl knew he had never healed properly and that is why he got so pissed when he got re-injured because he "should have known".

Separately - other teams won't worry about his willingness to play, but they will worry that he sat for a year and they will also start wondering if he was a "system RB". When some unknown guy steps in and performs as good then was it the RB or the system? Like the old Denver RBs that never did anything elsewhere (not worth their money)

You bring up Earl, which is a good comparison for what Bell did.

To take Bell's side, Earl by playing this year cost himself a LOT of money.........assuming we would have eventually traded him to a team that would have given him an extension. That's 20-30M or more of guaranteed money by not playing and not getting injured.

Now Earl has to go the Richard Sherman route, shorter 2-3 year deal with incentives to get even half the money.

That's in essence what Bell is gambling on, that once he hits free agency perfectly healthy that a team is going to give him more guaranteed money, and therefore making up what he lost this year by not signing his tender.

So really no one can say he did the wrong or right thing until we see what happens next year. If no one gives him the contract he thinks he's worth? He did the wrong thing. If someone gives him a monster contract with most of it guaranteed? Then he was right not playing.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Sgt. Largent wrote:
    mikeak wrote:OK he is dumb because he will never make up that money. He supposedly sat out mainly to get more guaranteed, but in doing so he gave up almost $15 million guaranteed money.

You bring up Earl, which is a good comparison for what Bell did.

To take Bell's side, Earl by playing this year cost himself a LOT of money.........assuming we would have eventually traded him to a team that would have given him an extension. That's 20-30M or more of guaranteed money by not playing and not getting injured.

Now Earl has to go the Richard Sherman route, shorter 2-3 year deal with incentives to get even half the money.

That's in essence what Bell is gambling on, that once he hits free agency perfectly healthy that a team is going to give him more guaranteed money, and therefore making up what he lost this year by not signing his tender.

So really no one can say he did the wrong or right thing until we see what happens next year. If no one gives him the contract he thinks he's worth? He did the wrong thing. If someone gives him a monster contract with most of it guaranteed? Then he was right not playing.

There is a big difference that I think you missed

Earl is under contract. Earl HAD to play this season. He could never have sat out the full season since then he would have had to play for Seattle next year

Bell got franchise tagged a second time. He doesn't have to play under it yet if he gets tagged again next year it will count as the third. So Bell never had to play with the risk of injury

Big difference in the approach as Earl basically said - I am going to have to play may as well go all season long

I do agree on your last sentence though and I should have held back in my original post. I do find it highly unlikely that he will make up money lost / get enough additional guaranteed to make it worth it, but it will be super interesting if he does. It will set a blueprint for future players getting tagged
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• mikeak wrote:

Earl is under contract. Earl HAD to play this season. He could never have sat out the full season since then he would have had to play for Seattle next year

Correct, I meant more the holdout and come back in week 10 for Earl to make his last year technically count. Might have still gotten injured, but less games = less likely.

The sentiment is still true, Earl getting hurt is exactly why Bell isn't playing. He's not going to risk getting injured and not getting to his next big extension vs. getting half or all of a one year franchise salary.

Again, we'll see.

If I was to bet? I'd bet Bell's free agency value isn't as high as he and his agent think it is. Not for the diminished RB market on a pain in the ass twice suspended RB. Just too easy to draft or acquire a much cheaper effective running back, as Connors proved.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• brimsalabim wrote:He has already turned down more money than anyone will ever offer him again so I wouldn’t call him a genius. He is on record several times demanding 15 million per year 5 years and he turned down a deal that would have paid 43 over three years and 20 the final two years of a five year extension. My question is what is the cost to the Steelers for a guy who refuses to show up? What are the Steelers obligations and impact on their cap?

There's some point where the marginal utility of money diminishes and he's is plausibly in that zone already. If you look at it from the perspective of having made his already this changes the dynamic to where he can hold out for it to be worth it to him to play football again.

Even if Bell's perception of his value is more orthodox and he couches it in terms of his value to a team it still might not be the worst thing in the world to walk away now. Lord knows I can make 65k a year stretch. ;)
    mrt144
    NET Veteran

• Sgt. Largent wrote:
    mikeak wrote:

Correct, I meant more the holdout and come back in week 10 for Earl to make his last year technically count. Might have still gotten injured, but less games = less likely.

The sentiment is still true, Earl getting hurt is exactly why Bell isn't playing. He's not going to risk getting injured and not getting to his next big extension vs. getting half or all of a one year franchise salary.

Again, we'll see.

If I was to bet? I'd bet Bell's free agency value isn't as high as he and his agent think it is. Not for the diminished RB market on a pain in the ass twice suspended RB. Just too easy to draft or acquire a much cheaper effective running back, as Connors proved.

But he was offered a big money big extension and he still turned it down.
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran

• brimsalabim wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    mikeak wrote:

Again, we'll see.

But he was offered a big money big extension and he still turned it down.

No they didn't, they tendered a franchise tag offer. The Steelers and Bell tried to come to terms on an extension for two years, and couldn't agree, so the team franchised Bell.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:28 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information