Mon Night in Mexico

GeekHawk

Reaction score
So, the NFL's plan to gift the lambs a game at LA to help build the brand there (and blame it on "field conditions") is working. They sure didn't have any problems with field conditions at the Redskins' stadium, as I recall. No matter how many Seahawks and RGIII lost their knees.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
WmHBonney":2gc6zqp4 said:
Why does the NFL insist on risking the safety of players and everyone around them by scheduling games in the shithole that is Mexico?

The field being crappy might be an issue, but you're off base on Mexico City.

If the NFL will let my former home, Baltimore City, have a NFL franchise, Mexico City can handle one game. Depending on what year you pick, Baltimore's homicide rate is about 3-5 times that of Mexico City. Assault rates in Balitmore are about tripled. Robbery is about four times worse in Baltimore. Even property crimes are way higher.

There are some really nasty places in Mexico I wouldn't like to be in, and a lot of these are heavily overrun by organized crime and corrupt authorities. But Mexico City is not the hellhole you're thinking it is.

mrt144

Reaction score
bmorepunk":1bs0y9v9 said:
WmHBonney":1bs0y9v9 said:
Why does the NFL insist on risking the safety of players and everyone around them by scheduling games in the shithole that is Mexico?

If the NFL will let my former home, Baltimore City, have a NFL franchise, Mexico City can handle one game. Depending on what year you pick, Baltimore's homicide rate is about 3-5 times that of Mexico City. Assault rates in Balitmore are about tripled. Robbery is about four times worse in Baltimore. Even property crimes are way higher.

There are some really nasty places in Mexico I wouldn't like to be in, and a lot of these are heavily overrun by organized crime and corrupt authorities. But Mexico City is not the hellhole you're thinking it is.

For real. Mexico has its gruesome issues but the whole country still get's up every day and goes to work just like anyone else in a city of millions would. The tourist towns aren't that bad either.

JGreen79

Reaction score
I'm curious if there would be the same amount of outrage if one of Seattle's home games was supposed to be in Mexico City, but was canceled and moved back to Seattle...

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
bmorepunk":pf11wbxi said:
Sox-n-Hawks":pf11wbxi said:
Let me get this straight... teams still play on FEDEX Field, but can't play in Mexico City? Now it's a HOME game for LA? What a joke.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...ves-chiefs-rams-game-la-monday-night-football

Are you still basing the conditions of FedEx Field from a game nearly six years ago?

Nope, not at all. It was an issue last November, and will be again late in this season. The field continues to suck.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...n-issue/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.90face50d88f

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...e-at-fedex-field-continues-to-cause-concerns/

Ramfan128

Reaction score
I think I heard that several Rams and Chiefs players said they wouldn't play on the field.

Doesn't matter much either way IMO. Glad to have the game at home, until I remembered that in week one when the Chiefs played at the Chargers, all you could see was red. Rams are giving out thousands of free tickets, but at best this will still be a neutral field game IMO.

kobebryant

Reaction score

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
So those that planned and spent money on tickets for flights and all the amenities to go to that game are out that trip and the enjoyment they would have had? I dont know about the international games just because of this reason. When we were playing in Tottenham, I was leary so did not book anything. By the time Wembley came around, I had decided on other things. That is the choice you make for these events I suppose. NFL eh?

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":37l2982s said:
So those that planned and spent money on tickets for flights and all the amenities to go to that game are out that trip and the enjoyment they would have had? I dont know about the international games just because of this reason. When we were playing in Tottenham, I was leary so did not book anything. By the time Wembley came around, I had decided on other things. That is the choice you make for these events I suppose. NFL eh?

I told my wife about this last night and she said "that's why there's travel insurance".

Might be kind of harsh, but I thought about it, and I agree - if you're basing your entire trip around one event - especially an outdoor event where weather could play a factor - then you have to get travel insurance.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It's a good point. We had flight insurance for our London trip. Tottenham was looking like it was going to be a huge IF on getting tickets for people. But we went with a gut feeling that it would get moved to Wembley, especially after talking to people who live over there. But there was no way we would have purchased flights w/out the insurance. Same with lodging, all was done w/the ability to cancel w/out charge.

Chapow

Reaction score
bmorepunk":1mow5410 said:
WmHBonney":1mow5410 said:

Very good response to a very ignorant post.

Mexico is an awfully big place to be labeling the entirety of it a shithole.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":3qjfnbn3 said:

Yeah this is the first thing I thought of, all the fans who've been planning this trip since the schedule came out......and are now out airline, game tickets and probably hotel costs.

I get the safety issue, but damn I'd be PISSED if I planned this trip to see my Hawks and now got screwed. Still could be a fun trip to Mexico City I guess, but I imagine the entire reason most of those fans are going is for the football game.

NINEster

Reaction score
GeekHawk":1x8bf5zg said:
So, the NFL's plan to gift the lambs a game at LA to help build the brand there (and blame it on "field conditions") is working. They sure didn't have any problems with field conditions at the Redskins' stadium, as I recall. No matter how many Seahawks and RGIII lost their knees.

This isn't a fair comparison.

The Redskins were playing a playoff game as the home team with no bye week.

This MNF game between the Chiefs and Rams was always going to have the ability to be moved due to its neutral status.

BTW, when it comes to the Super Bowl the NFL brings in their own grass or field turf for the game (yes, even turf fields are under NFL control for this game). Houston, Glendale, Santa Clara all had grass that was brought in from different states for their respective Super Bowls.

The NFL cares but they aren't miracle workers.