Refs

RedAlice

Reaction score
Refs are an issue for all of our games.

Hawks have been known for not called on holding (ok, hold on it’s an opposing teams fans perspective), Rams this year have had Donald held constantly with no calls.

You all can add tons of other thoughts on how refs did you bad, so can other teams.

The NFL in its great Wisdom?? Has decided to assign an all star cast of refs for the Rams v Chiefs.

Will this make a difference?

NFL ups intensity with all-star officials for Rams-Chiefs game

The NFL took the unusual step this week of assigning an "all-star" officiating crew to the most highly anticipated game of the season, adding to the playofflike frenzy for Monday night's matchup between the Kansas City Chiefs and Los Angeles Rams.

Referee Clete Blakeman will work the game with only two members of his regular crew, umpire Ramon George and down judge Dana McKenzie. The other five officials -- including Jim Lapetina, who will handle replay -- were plucked from four other crews.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2531 ... ams-chiefs

chris98251

Reaction score
This will be a disaster, just look at the playoffs and the Super Bowls with their all star casts of referees in the past, they are not used to each other and delay the game even more by needing conferences to decide everything to not show up each other and reversing another's call.

Additionally there isn't an offical out there now days that doesn't find a way to screw something up.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I've felt for years that the NFL should start having an automated officiating system developed. Take the humans out of officiating, and only have them do reviews.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I really don't care that much about who won the game or who lost, the Rams are going to win the NFCW, and this game in no way effects the Seahawks chances at a wild card. But the referees were out of control, placing themselves in the middle of the game.

All Star team of Referees? Guess the refs took it literally and made themselves a part of the outcome of the game. Absolutely pathetic. And while they called them against both sides, to me it looked like they threw a flag on the Chiefs every time a play even vaguely resembled a penalty.

Pure bullshit, yet the Referees are Untouchable

All-star crew of 'MNF' refs gets absolutely ripped by players and fans watching on TV

Dave Shifty Mahler "That's pathetic. These refs need to swallow their whistles."

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/11/all-st ... hing-on-tv

mrt144

Reaction score
Honestly, I'd much rather only have pre snap procedural penalties and egregiously dangerous hits called. Let OL hold, let defensive backs hold but still call DPI when it's blatant pre tackling. Literally, do everything in your power to avoid the ability to throw a flag on stuff that happens during a play. Less butthurt fan conspiracy theories, less stoppage, and more focus on where the action happens.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
High definition super slow motion replay from more camera angles than you can think of has ruined NFL themed message boards more than anything else I can think of.

That's not a comment on .net or anyone here either.

It's everywhere.

It's like endless know it all Monday morning quarterbacking plus rampant homerism plus horrifically inane conspiracy theories all rolled into one.

It really brings out the worst of fandom imo.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2a25qgtj said:
High definition super slow motion replay from more camera angles than you can think of has ruined NFL themed message boards more than anything else I can think of.

It's everywhere.

It's like endless know it all Monday morning quarterbacking plus rampant homerism plus horrifically inane conspiracy theories all rolled into one.

While I see what you're getting at, Alice's thread premise is still good IMO.

The Rams DL has been held more times than I've ever seen without calls, and I spot several of them in real time on my TV, with the camera following the football.

On the flip side, people wonder why the Rams defense is so bad at times - we generally aren't holding WRs and getting away with it, and then our DL is being held constantly.

Hell even on Monday night people were flipping out, but most of what the Chiefs did in the first quarter were clear penalties IMO. After the first quarter the Rams were far more penalized than the Chiefs, and while some of those calls were probably bad ones, they had some bad ones on the Rams too.

Last week against Seattle when Fowler got that unsportsman like conduct flag that nearly changed the game, they showed the replay and the offensive linemen was blatantly holding him - I'm sure he said something bad, but that game in particular was a result of frustration boiling over IMO from the 765 times they've been held this season. I get that you can't call it on every play, and it makes me think of the genius move that the Ravens pulled on that punt against the Niners in the super bowl when they took the safety and had everyone hold - disturbing that the refs didn't throw a flag on that play. That one play is a microcosm of this entire season for Aaron Donald and company.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Well, why wasn't Peters flagged for taking his helmet off after that easy Pick? Selective crap from the Refs.

Jac

Reaction score
Ramfan128":uv7ztsk1 said:
The Rams DL has been held more times than I've ever seen without calls, and I spot several of them in real time on my TV, with the camera following the football.

On the flip side, people wonder why the Rams defense is so bad at times - we generally aren't holding WRs and getting away with it, and then our DL is being held constantly.

Every team with a good defensive line says or experiences this. When we had that streak of #1 rated defenses, there was constantly commentary here about our DL being held. This phenomenon isn't a conspiracy against the Rams and shouldn't provide an excuse for the bad defense they've assembled and fielded.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Popeyejones":20wjdabm said:

It's everywhere.

Not sure what you mean by "homerism and conspiracy theories," but that was a horribly called game. Unless you're talking about officiating in general.

I don't really have a Dog in the fight, although I was rooting for the Chiefs. But I'll go on record saying that this crew was horrible. Calling non-existent penalties against KC such as the 2 block in the back penalties. I replayed those several times, and those were Phantom calls.

But apparently they had all the ingredients of a block in the back.

But it's not just me saying this. It's all over the place, and when Tony Dungy comments on the poor officiating, then there's something to it.

Tony Dungy
@TonyDungy
This NFL officiating is hard to watch. If those two calls are penalties the secondaries will have no chance. There will be 100 points scored tonight.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TonyDungy/st ... 81120.html

And if the NFL is "Fudging the Rules" in order to specifically get a high scoring game, then they've lost all integrity! Because that's game fixing and Las Vegas lost money on that game because so many people bet the over.

What's the opposite of Point Shaving? Did they pick those Refs in order to get lots of PI and other calls?