What is going to stop the Rams?

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
The Bears at soldier field Sunday December 9th. This Bears team is one to be reckoned with, and is playing their hearts and souls out, and a cold December night against a team that's just playing to play at that point will spell disaster for the Lambs.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
The Bears really are a good team, no doubt about it. I still think come playoff time, the Saints knock the Rams out. Just a much more balanced team overall imo.

OP
OP
Sox-n-Hawks

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":i5vgybhw said:
The Bears really are a good team, no doubt about it. I still think come playoff time, the Saints knock them out. Just a much more balanced team overall imo.
I agree 100% about the playoffs, but I think beating the Bears, at night and in the cold will be a tall order for the Rams. Especially since they’ll probably have the division locked up by then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
If it's cold and nasty helping the Bears D slow down the Ram's offense? Then yes I agree.

But the Bears offense is pretty pedestrian, even with Trubisky playing better......although Trubisky is day to day with a shoulder injury, so keep an eye on that going forward.

We'll see, the Rams aren't unbeatable. But once their offense gets rolling they're hard to stop.

mrt144

Reaction score
Sox-n-Hawks":215wbupo said:
The Bears at soldier field Sunday December 9th. This Bears team is one to be reckoned with, and is playing their hearts and souls out, and a cold December night against a team that's just playing to play at that point will spell disaster for the Lambs.

So themselves isn't one of the answers? Or the Saints?

GeekHawk

Reaction score
We will. In the playoffs. It's been real close twice, and our D is only getting better as the season progresses. Of course, they'll have to survive in the playoffs long enough to see us. And vice versa!

knownone

Reaction score
Unless the Rams keep piling up injuries, I don't think the Bears will stand a chance against them. That's not an indictment on the Bears, I just don't think Trubisky can win a shootout, and I don't think their defense is good enough to defend the Rams offense.

People like to crap on Jeff Fisher for being a bad offensive coach and that's fair. What people don't realize is Fisher built the Rams. Fisher picked Goff, Gurley, Brockers, Donald, Joyner, Havenstein, Higbee, Barron. He built a defense that was consistently in the top 10 every year. Look what's happened as Les Snead and Sean McVay slowly build a team in their image. They let go of Fishers guys and bring in big-name players who don't fit their fricken scheme. They've traded away draft capital for players who are not worth the value of the pick... Why? Because Les Snead is not a good talent evaluator. Don't get me wrong, he can hit on a top 15 pick in the draft with Fisher's guidance but those opportunities are gone for a few years. This team is eerily reminiscent of the Chip Kelly Eagles.

Ultimately, the Rams will stop the Rams. They are 19 combined points from being a 5-6 team. They have the 4th worst defense in the league despite spending the 7th most in salary on defense. They haven't proven they can stop an average offense and great offenses tear them to shreds. Historically speaking, this type of team never translates well in the playoffs. They likely get taken down in a shootout or get blown out.

mrt144

Reaction score
knownone":pnoo2xh1 said:
Unless the Rams keep piling up injuries, I don't think the Bears will stand a chance against them. That's not an indictment on the Bears, I just don't think Trubisky can win a shootout, and I don't think their defense is good enough to defend the Rams offense.

People like to crap on Jeff Fisher for being a bad offensive coach and that's fair. What people don't realize is Fisher built the Rams. Fisher picked Goff, Gurley, Brockers, Donald, Joyner, Havenstein, Higbee, Barron. He built a defense that was consistently in the top 10 every year. Look what's happened as Les Snead and Sean McVay slowly build a team in their image. They let go of Fishers guys and bring in big-name players who don't fit their fricken scheme. They've traded away draft capital for players who are not worth the value of the pick... Why? Because Les Snead is not a good talent evaluator. Don't get me wrong, he can hit on a top 15 pick in the draft with Fisher's guidance but those opportunities are gone for a few years. This team is eerily reminiscent of the Chip Kelly Eagles.

Ultimately, the Rams will stop the Rams. They are 19 combined points from being a 5-6 team. They have the 4th worst defense in the league despite spending the 7th most in salary on defense. They haven't proven they can stop an average offense and great offenses tear them to shreds. Historically speaking, this type of team never translates well in the playoffs. They likely get taken down in a shootout or get blown out.

I mean, that is really the baffling thing with the Rams is why their defense isn't better. It's been talked about every week but their offense does jussssssssssssssst enough to stay ahead of their defense when it gets shellacked. The names, the salary, the DC, and it's just 'not the worst, i guess'.

themunn

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2mn7sj04 said:
The Bears really are a good team, no doubt about it. I still think come playoff time, the Saints knock the Rams out. Just a much more balanced team overall imo.

Almost certainly can only happen in the NFCCG - and we will have already knocked one of them out to get there. :2thumbs:

legend38

Reaction score
The only team that can stop the Rams is a team with a good D that can :D :D make the Rams punt at least four times. This team would also have to be able to run the ball for a 150 and keep their O off the field. I only know of one team.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Sox-n-Hawks":qfq8zm5i said:
Well, it will obviously happen in the playoffs, and if not a team like the Bears, probably the Saints.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
mrt144":25fmjm0p said:
knownone":25fmjm0p said:

I mean, that is really the baffling thing with the Rams is why their defense isn't better. It's been talked about every week but their offense does jussssssssssssssst enough to stay ahead of their defense when it gets shellacked. The names, the salary, the DC, and it's just 'not the worst, i guess'.
Whatever problems the Rams defense has, they are absolute terrors in the area that matters most in terms of championship runs: pass rush.

El Caliente

Reaction score
I have no beef with the Rams, their fans, or anyone who thinks that they should be the NFC favorite to the Super Bowl, but it’s a bit disingenuous to say that “the Rams will be able to beat the Saints when Aquib comes back.” That’s speaking as if the Saints won’t gameplan for him, and that’s also forgetting that the Saints have been without one of the top rated pass rushers in the 2018 draft. Marcus Davenport is one of PFFs top rated pass rushers, and last night against the Falcons he helped the defense hold the Falcons to 17 points (when they normally avg. 25.5 ppg).

I’m not saying that on a neutral field the Saints will beat the Rams, but I think that the Saints are more than capable on defense of not allowing the Rams to make the comeback that was allowed a few weeks ago.

knownone

Reaction score
El Caliente":3a8ogyjr said:
I have no beef with the Rams, their fans, or anyone who thinks that they should be the NFC favorite to the Super Bowl, but it’s a bit disingenuous to say that “the Rams will be able to beat the Saints when Aquib comes back.” That’s speaking as if the Saints won’t gameplan for him, and that’s also forgetting that the Saints have been without one of the top rated pass rushers in the 2018 draft. Marcus Davenport is one of PFFs top rated pass rushers, and last night against the Falcons he helped the defense hold the Falcons to 17 points (when they normally avg. 25.5 ppg).

I’m not saying that on a neutral field the Saints will beat the Rams, but I think that the Saints are more than capable on defense of not allowing the Rams to make the comeback that was allowed a few weeks ago.
The Falcons turned the ball over in the red zone like 4 times last night. The Saints are lucky they only gave up 17 points because it easily could have been 30+.

With that said, I think the Saints have a better team than the Rams. They have a significantly better coach and QB, and a slightly better defense. They'll be fine even if Talib comes back.

The problem for both the Saints and Rams is that every team except maybe the Bears and Cowboys that has a shot of making the playoffs has a QB capable of outscoring them in a shootout. We saw it in the playoffs in 2010 against the Saints. The Saints came into the game with the #3 passing offense and a pretty good defense. Seattle had the #19 pass offense and a bad defense. Seattle ended up winning 41-36. While most people remember that as the "beast quake" game the Saints actually did a pretty good job against Marshawn outside of that 1 run. The reason they won was largely due to Matt Hasselbeck outdueling Drew Brees on the day.

That's one of the things people don't understand about the "defense wins championships" motto. It's not that you need a great defense to win a championship. It's just that a bad defense can lose you a championship even if you have an incredible offense.

chris98251

Reaction score
knownone":upykqrhq said:
El Caliente":upykqrhq said:

The Falcons turned the ball over in the red zone like 4 times last night. The Saints are lucky they only gave up 17 points because it easily could have been 30+.

With that said, I think the Saints have a better team than the Rams. They have a significantly better coach and QB, and a slightly better defense. They'll be fine even if Talib comes back.

The problem for both the Saints and Rams is that every team except maybe the Bears and Cowboys that has a shot of making the playoffs has a QB capable of outscoring them in a shootout. We saw it in the playoffs in 2010 against the Saints. The Saints came into the game with the #3 passing offense and a pretty good defense. Seattle had the #19 pass offense and a bad defense. Seattle ended up winning 41-36. While most people remember that as the "beast quake" game the Saints actually did a pretty good job against Marshawn outside of that 1 run. The reason they won was largely due to Matt Hasselbeck outdueling Drew Brees on the day.

That's one of the things people don't understand about the "defense wins championships" motto. It's not that you need a great defense to win a championship. It's just that a bad defense can lose you a championship even if you have an incredible offense.

DISAGREE, a great defense time and time again has shut down a team and created opportunities for the offense with a shorter field. There is always that game here and there that defies the odds for what ever reason but the law of averages say a great defense and a controlling offense will get you further most times.

El Caliente

Reaction score
The thing working in the Saints defense is that they are the 2nd ranked run defense, and the 13th ranked scoring defense. Throw in the fact that you can shut down Mike Thomas, and the run game, and Brees can still hurt you with a bunch of undrafted free agents. It feels more like 2009 than 2011.

knownone

Reaction score
chris98251":16d0fedz said:
DISAGREE, a great defense time and time again has shut down a team and created opportunities for the offense with a shorter field. There is always that game here and there that defies the odds for what ever reason but the law of averages say a great defense and a controlling offense will get you further most times.
I think you missed the phrase 'one of the things'. I wasn't making a commentary on how the motto is defined. I was stating that aside from the obvious reasons defense wins championships having a bad defense can have the inverse effect even when a team has a great offense. In other words, bad defense loses championships.

If you didn't misinterpret my post. I have literally no idea what you are disagreeing with.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
My fav scenario from the NYTimes prediction machine, where the Seahawks stop the Rams by going 6-0, Rams 0-5:

The Seahawks win the division in 100 percent* of scenarios.
* Based on 33,212 simulations.
STAGE N.F.C. SEED CHANCE
DIVISION CHAMPION #1, bye, home field advantage
3%