Audio Issues

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Has anyone else been noticing the weird audio clipping during many NFL broadcasts? Doesn't seem to matter what network but Fox seems to be the worst. (Where suddenly the announcers audio drops several levels where you almost have to turn the TV up)...It was really bad one TNF game weeks back (I forget which one) and thought it was just that broadcast having issues but this is becoming a weekly occurrence.

Anyone else noticing?

chris98251

Reaction score
Hard to say, Fox has issues almost every week with Audio, drop outs completely many times, they have video issues as well and I am in Renton, just every week it's something, don't think it's Comcast only happens on Fox broadcasts during games.

knownone

Reaction score
I would assume this has something to do with companies switching away from analog broadcasting equipment to entirely digital broadcasts. Analog clipping tended to make the sound fuzzier but still audible whereas digital clipping straight up cuts the top off of the signal. The issue tends to get compounded if you're using a digital receiver like a satellite to watch the games because your receiver might lose signal or limit the signal even further making the clipping even more noticeable.

I don't think this is an issue specific to any one network, although, I would assume Thursday crews have less time to prepare so maybe that's why it seems like Fox is having the most issues.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Wow, good to know, thanks for the info!

chris98251

Reaction score
knownone":rsw94to6 said:
I would assume this has something to do with companies switching away from analog broadcasting equipment to entirely digital broadcasts. Analog clipping tended to make the sound fuzzier but still audible whereas digital clipping straight up cuts the top off of the signal. The issue tends to get compounded if you're using a digital receiver like a satellite to watch the games because your receiver might lose signal or limit the signal even further making the clipping even more noticeable.

I don't think this is an issue specific to any one network, although, I would assume Thursday crews have less time to prepare so maybe that's why it seems like Fox is having the most issues.

Not just on Thursdays but Sundays also, their remote Truck may have issues with re broadcasting the feed they get also.

Tony Stark may have ask the Tech for more Bandwidth to save the world ya know. :p

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
knownone":2czbc3gv said:

I'd suspect their network engineers don't know how to prioritize the traffic properly and run it over links that they CAN prioritize it on, but just a guess...

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
Aros":2j91kvsz said:
Has anyone else been noticing the weird audio clipping during many NFL broadcasts? Doesn't seem to matter what network but Fox seems to be the worst. (Where suddenly the announcers audio drops several levels where you almost have to turn the TV up)...It was really bad one TNF game weeks back (I forget which one) and thought it was just that broadcast having issues but this is becoming a weekly occurrence.

Anyone else noticing?

And to think... I thought this was going to be a post about Joe Buck. Sometimes I WISH my audio would cut out.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
Aros":ixmvqa1d said:
(Where suddenly the announcers audio drops several levels where you almost have to turn the TV up)...It was really bad one TNF game weeks back
Do you watch on a TV with one speaker? Is it just the announcers voice?

This is a symptom of stereo downmixed to mono with the phase reversed on L or R channel. Stereo content will still be the (almost) same level but mono content(announcers) cancels out when listened through a mono source.

Could be at the broadcast end or at your home entertainment setup.

chris98251

Reaction score
I am betting AROS has a 64 inch screen with surround sound and added Earth Quake seats so he can feel the vibrations like Stadium environment. Wife dressed up in Vender gear to bring him his drinks and Sandwiches or concessions. has Security Patrol the yard between him and his Neighbor on Game days.

knownone

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3tt9j7rt said:
knownone":3tt9j7rt said:

I'd suspect their network engineers don't know how to prioritize the traffic properly and run it over links that they CAN prioritize it on, but just a guess...
Certainly possible. I don't know anything about the network side of things.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
chris98251":3nnhujr0 said:
I am betting AROS has a 64 inch screen with surround sound and added Earth Quake seats so he can feel the vibrations like Stadium environment. Wife dressed up in Vender gear to bring him his drinks and Sandwiches or concessions. has Security Patrol the yard between him and his Neighbor on Game days.

Ahh..Borg 4D.