Minnesota QB evaluation

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Placed their franchise on the arm of Sam Bradford, now on Kirk Cousins. Just seems they need to reconsider their QB evaluation.

MrThortan

Reaction score
I am a huge Teddy homer, but they should have never let him walk. Sure, he is stashed behind Brees at the saints, but he was still young and had potential. They spent too much on Kirk. That being said, their O-Line is horrid.

knownone

Reaction score
Eh, Kirk Cousins is not why they are losing games. Coaching is. They were bad tonight. They were bad in New England. Going for it 4th down in a defensive game when you are down 3 not once but twice... cost them the game.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
bigskydoc":l3dek6dx said:
Placed their franchise on the arm of Sam Bradford, now on Kirk Cousins. Just seems they need to reconsider their QB evaluation.
Kirk Cousins is not the problem for the Vikings, in fact he has been playing decently this season. He is 8th in yards, he's completing 70% of his passes, and he also has a decent amount of TDs, and his interception total is not the worst in the world, especially when we consider how much he passes.

Is Kirk Cousins an elite QB? Hell no, but I would place him in the same group as the "very good QBs". He kind of looked like a mini Russ the way he was extending plays (not as slippery or fast, but still bought time). His passes were accurate, and he put it right where his receivers could get the ball. They could not catch a cold against the Seahawks, and every pass was highly contested by our secondary.

Kirk Cousin's is in a completely different stratosphere than Sam Bradford is. I didn't see bad QB play against the Seahawks. I saw a team that couldn't do even the basic things right. Does he deserve to be paid like he is? Probably not, I think the position's salary is over inflated relative to their peers. That being said my impression that the biggest issue with the Vikings was coaching, and lack of execution from the skill positions. Cousin's is far down the list on problems with the Vikings team.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
They should go for Hebert. He should go middle of the first round.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Cousins is good. But his cap hit the next to years is like $30 million.

Cousins doesn't get you what you get with Russell Wilson. And people are peeing their pants on Wilson costing $30 million against the cap when he re-signs. Case Keenum costs $21 million against the cap next year.

It sucks that Wilson isn't perfect and will cost a lot of money. But the alternative is to still pay quite a lot for stopgaps who probably won't work out. Or draft young guys who probably won't work out.

Imagine if the Vikings had Russell Wilson and that defense.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
knownone":30omyx1f said:
Eh, Kirk Cousins is not why they are losing games. Coaching is. They were bad tonight. They were bad in New England. Going for it 4th down in a defensive game when you are down 3 not once but twice... cost them the game.
Not just going for it, but the play calls- both times directly toward Wagner.

Osprey

Reaction score
Sox-n-Hawks":2ka8ic7i said:
They should go for Hebert. He should go middle of the first round.
If he's smart he stays in school, nowhere near ready for the League. Sadly if he does enter, he'll probably go top ten purely off the dreaded 'potential'.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
knownone":2nlxgsyd said:
It cost them points; it did not cost them the GAME...

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":ne8fxtuv said:
bigskydoc":ne8fxtuv said:
Kirk Cousins is not the problem for the Vikings, in fact he has been playing decently this season. He is 8th in yards, he's completing 70% of his passes, and he also has a decent amount of TDs, and his interception total is not the worst in the world, especially when we consider how much he passes.

Is Kirk Cousins an elite QB? Hell no, but I would place him in the same group as the "very good QBs". He kind of looked like a mini Russ the way he was extending plays (not as slippery or fast, but still bought time). His passes were accurate, and he put it right where his receivers could get the ball. They could not catch a cold against the Seahawks, and every pass was highly contested by our secondary.

Kirk Cousin's is in a completely different stratosphere than Sam Bradford is. I didn't see bad QB play against the Seahawks. I saw a team that couldn't do even the basic things right. Does he deserve to be paid like he is? Probably not, I think the position's salary is over inflated relative to their peers. That being said my impression that the biggest issue with the Vikings was coaching, and lack of execution from the skill positions. Cousin's is far down the list on problems with the Vikings team.

Kirk Cousins has had a ridiculous number of passes batted down. He cant move in the pocket and has been strip sacked lot. He has 9 ints and 7 lost fumbles.

Cousins is average. The OL makes him look worse. The OC took the fall for not adjusting the game plan when teams realized Cousins is very good with time to sit back.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Just look at this record in prime time, big games, playoffs etc. It's shocking that a guy like that got 84 mil guaranteed. The Vikes fans that I talked to, to a man, all said it was a horrible signing. He's average, holds on to the ball too much etc. I think he's good, but far from great.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":18rdmpez said:
Just look at this record in prime time, big games, playoffs etc. It's shocking that a guy like that got 84 mil guaranteed. The Vikes fans that I talked to, to a man, all said it was a horrible signing. He's average, holds on to the ball too much etc. I think he's good, but far from great.

4-24 against teams with a winning record. 0-5 this year

Maulbert

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1zbkjdvk said:
SoulfishHawk":1zbkjdvk said:

A slightly more successful Matt Stafford.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Maulbert":8bzyocdg said:
Uncle Si":8bzyocdg said:
SoulfishHawk":8bzyocdg said:

So does that make Cousins SUPER elite?

Maulbert

Reaction score
Seanhawk":3crfm2wm said:
Maulbert":3crfm2wm said:
Uncle Si":3crfm2wm said:
SoulfishHawk":3crfm2wm said:

I know you're being sarcastic, but Stafford is the most overrated QB in the last quarter century.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Maulbert":30uiqmm0 said:
Seanhawk":30uiqmm0 said:
Maulbert":30uiqmm0 said:
Uncle Si":30uiqmm0 said:

I know you're being sarcastic, but Stafford is the most overrated QB in the last quarter century.

Sam Bradford says, " Hold my beer!"

Maulbert

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":1nu7ozw2 said:
Maulbert":1nu7ozw2 said:
Seanhawk":1nu7ozw2 said:
Maulbert":1nu7ozw2 said:

Bradford was overpaid, but he is considered a journeyman backup. Stafford is given elite status without any justification.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Maulbert":1cxl44an said:
Seahawkfan80":1cxl44an said:
Maulbert":1cxl44an said:
Seanhawk":1cxl44an said:

Bradford was overpaid, but he is considered a journeyman backup. Stafford is given elite status without any justification.

He's like the anti-clutch Brett Favre. It's almost impressive.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Maulbert":11um3zst said:
Seahawkfan80":11um3zst said:
Maulbert":11um3zst said:
Seanhawk":11um3zst said:

Stafford's physical gifts are elite, and that is the reason. His actual quarterbacking ability is quite average, of course. Think Jeff George, kind of.